Linux doesn't get vir-

linux doesn't get vir-

This happens pretty often with Gentoo since people misconfigure shit or don't apply patches.

-uses.

Pic related was about Firefox running as root with outdated Flash on a malicious website.
wrong

He ran firefox (with flash) as root.

desu linux isn't any more secure than windows

Running software with admin rights => you're fucked

works on my machine

>as root

The randomware? It probably does work on your machine.

this is actually a feature, because linus hates retards. So whenever you do something this stupid, linux actually automatically ports viruses you encounter to your distro. And you deserve it.

>Ransoming a gentoo system
...what's the fucking point? Don't they know everyone who runs gentoo is broke as fuck? That's the reason why they're running gentoo...

The firefox thing was just a theory. He has no idea what the vulnerability was. It could have been literally anything including an infected image exploiting a bug in common Linux thumbnail viewers.

Running as root is completely irrelevant. It's ransomware. 99.99% of people store their data as the same user. It doesn't need root access (and getting root access is as simple as aliasing sudo or making a fake prompt.) The linux security model is a joke that only looks good because it's compared to Windows.

It's not a theory that he ran firefox with flash installed as root. That's established. Whether that's the vector or not isn't really that important. What is important is that he's a fucking idiot. I mean, you don't think it's a rather interesting coincidence that this happened to affect just this person who happens to have really shitty security practices? Everyone else seems to be spared, despite there being over 6 months since he made the post. For all we know he had SSH to root enabled and his password was qwerty. If this affects someone who doesn't run firefox as root I'll start worrying.

probably someone from here meming people into using gentoo and then lovking their hdd

>Running as root is completely irrelevant.
>The linux security model is a joke
Imagine being this hungry for attention.

>Common Linux thumbnail viewers

O man I am laffin

ITS OVER GANOONUX IS FINISHED AND BANKRUPT WE DID IT REDDIT :^) :^) :^)

reddit is very much pro-linux though

way to talk out of your ass with no clue

I'd give you an award for "Most Wrong Person of The Day", but nobody on Sup Forums is really this ignorant right? Must be bait.

Was meant to be targeted at

Lol how's that?

LOL ROFLMAO KEK
kys or go back to school

You deserve ransomware.

>Firefox running as root
What fucking situation could this possibly be needed in?

>misconfigure shit
It's about the same as Arch in terms of configuration, unless you want to manually do things that use flags could take care of, like policykit.

>don't apply patches
what? you mean syncing? The user doens't apply patches. Portage sometimes does, depending on your use flags and profile.

just rebuild, there's no critical data in the system anyway

And it begs the question. What kind of stupid fuck would EVER run a browser as root? I know OP is baiting, but godamn it, this kind of idiocy sickens me every time it.

>spent 1.5 weeks building gentoo into a semi workable state
>this happens

>spend 2 hours installing windows server and it just werks

wew

the first time i installed gentoo it only took me 3 hours, and much of that was waiting on things to download or compile

I agree. Lol as colloquial has become so old, it's kitschy in a really charming way. In contrast, kek is a word that let's you know whether or not that person is a dumb crossboarder.

kekekekekekekekkeke
>muh ghanoo
>install ghanoo
>ghanoo is top shit
ghanoo sux ransomware ass

>What kind of stupid fuck would EVER run a browser as root?
everyone who executes WebGL code... well, technically it has even higher privilleges than root because it's ring0 xD

>What kind of stupid fuck would EVER run a browser as root?
a ghanoo user

Except the pcmustardrace, though they basically share the visitors with Sup Forums.

Sup Forums are subhumans

This thread. Again.

why would a broke person run gentoo?
You need a powerful computer to compile all that stuff.

>gnu users are so stupid they run browsers with admin privileges

hahahahahahahahah not even my nan would do this

Daily reminder that this would never happen on Fedora with SELinux and Systemd. You can meme all you want on Sup Forums, but in real world your obsolete gentoo garbage literally can't even compete.

Your nan don't know about zfs snapshots either, but still have an open smb port ready to be penetrated by the best korea.

It would also never happen on Hardened Gentoo which has a ton more security features than that.

Why am I not surprised by this? Gentoo users tend to be tryhard retards who copy/paste their installs without understanding what they are doing. You can't have a secure system when you don't understand basic principles. Well, at least he looked cool in screenfetch threads, amirite?

This is what happens when complexity is added.

Nice work insulting 95% of this board in three words.

>creating a non root user and using namespaces is complex
Maybe for you.
Maybe you visit the wrong threads if you think vermin gives the majority of this board.

Do gksu is a good option for launching firefox as user when connected as root in the OS ?

>open firejail yesterday
>Huh, why is Firefox configured as default

>Read this tread
>oh

Then he deserved it

How many times is this going to get posted? The dude that had this happen ran Firefox as Root, which is fucking retarded. He also didn't have firejail set up, which is ALSO fucking retarded, especially if you're going to run a web browser as Root.

>look mom, I posted it again xD

It's not just Firefox. Modern browsers are complex enough to be their own operating systems running on top of your existing operating system (this is how Chrome OS is built too, btw).
Throw some flash into it, run it as root, and you have the perfect disaster.

>Linux is no more secure than windows.
When you shill this hard, this far over the top, nobody is going to take anything you say seriously.

No one said linux didn't get viruses. SELinux exists for a reason.

is the the NAP mascot?

And the reason is US agencies' security guidelines.
Good luck to any regular user trying to configure it, though. SELinux is a bitch.