Is ubunto good now

About three years back I decided to try a different operating system to see how it was. I Installed Ubuntu but it couldn't connect to the wifi so I couldn't look up how to fix it. I just use windows 10 now but I want to know if now is the time to give it a second shot.

Desktop linux is a meme.

Why is that?

is Ubuntu good for programmer/sysadmin guy who need to get work done? Or maybe Arch cuz no bloat?

libreboot Trisquel

It's only a meme if you like gaymen. Otherwise it is generally better than windows.

...or doing any work other than programming?
for graphics design, photo editing, video editing, cad work or even office work with more complex document formating and exchanging work with people using microsoft office linux is out of the question

>look at this man giving his opinion about something he doesn't know about

I like potatoes

He's right tho, you fucking retard. Linux only works for servers and programming. It's nowhere near even Windows 98 level in terms of regular user usability.

>I just use windows 10

IMPORTANT! If you want to dual boot linux with windows 10 then make sure you turn off "fast boot" before installing Linux, or else you will have a hard time getting back into windows 10.

Ubuntu is good. Arch is not for getting "work done"

You have to be 18 to post here

>MPORTANT! If you want to dual boot linux with windows 10 then make sure you turn off "fast boot" before installing Linux, or else you will have a hard time getting back into windows 10.

I was just about to get this abomination off my laptop and try linux. But now your telling me I have to actually navigate this smartphone menu system until I find fast boot?

>says the guy who hasn't used linux since 1998

If you are just going to remove the nonsense, then you likely don't have to do anything. Just erase the damn thing.

But if you want to dual boot windows 10 for whatever reason then you need to turn off 'fast boot' because if you don't then "windows 10" won't be an option when you boot up the computer after installing linux alongside it.

17.10 Ubuntu is the best Linux desktop has ever been. It's excellent.

It's about the same as windows 10, only minus games. Arguably better than windows 10.

>Arguably better than windows 10.
Is this what Linux fags actually believe?

you just use what you already know has a bunch of good programs to do what you want to do. if you switch oses, youll have to get research a whole bunch of new ones. fuck all that shit.

if you work in GD - you can't live without Adobe products. GIMP is kinda okay but once you need to work on somebody's PSDs - you are fucked.
Same goes for some Exel's tables.
It's not GIMP or Calc fault but fact is a fact - these programs aren't usable in a pro fields.

>if you work in GD - you can't live without Adobe products.
if your organization is babby-tier pajeets maybe.

Oh please, just shut up if you have no idea what you're talking about.

>mad pajeet babby

>G-guys, Loonix is good, I s-swear it!

show bob.

I've weighted long enought........... fap fap fap...

OMG!!! HERE IT CUMS....

8==>~~~ INSTALL GENTOOOOOOOO

ah much better

Install gentoo

that's a post straight out of 2005, 2006 my lad
can i have your time machine

Despite games, linux works better than windows.
>At the beggining of the year, we started doing a project with some friends for a class.
>I ran ubuntu, the rest were on w10
>setting up eclipse, mysql, mongodb (yes, a meme but our teachers wanted to introduce us to no-sql dbs), maven and other stuff was a pain in the ass for them
>Took everyone of my mates about a week setting everything up because of paths and incompatibilities.
>I Installed everything in the same console screen the night we were introduced the tools and worked right off the bat.

Seriously, every time I hear someone talk about windows, I hear them complaining about bugs, unwanted hidden processes, useless "features".

It was good.
It's shit now.

ubuntu is shite, try fedora
it just werks desu

>Same goes for some Exel's tables.
well, there are online office 365 now. I use it for work, works great.

fuck off... Linux is great, but you obviously don't know shit. Do you laugh at carpenters that use hammers and doctors who use scalpels? It's the tool people use in those jobs you dumb fuck.

Honest question, why doesn't Linux work with games

If you're lazy and kind of semi-retarded, Windows is perfect for you, and the Linux community doesn't really want you bothering them. I sincerely hope Windows never loses popularity. It's a great containment OS for pajeets.

>do you laugh if pajeets shit in designated streets?

windows has the market by the balls. there's no technical reason

most modern pc games are shit anyway. emulators and source ports usually have linux versions so it's really not a big deal for me anyway

That does not even make sense. You make fun because you donæt understand how the industry works, I used an analogy to point out your flawed thinking. Your random tidbit about toilet usage in third world countries don't apply. It's lazy thinking and shitty LOL SO RANDOM jokes.

>couldn't connect to the wifi
I don't even believe you

xubuntu. Ubuntu ecosystem and support without Ubuntu's horrible desktop.

>T. pajeet

Hell, Play Station's OS is based on FreeBSD

It's true, I tried it out on a test run and it would not connect so I switched back to Windows and the wifi was working again

PLEASE SIR, SHUT FUCK UP SIR, YOU DONOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALING ABOUT SIR. ADOBE PRODUCTS ARE THE NEEDFUL IN GRAPHICS DESIGN

Ubuntu is horrible. Just use Debian with Mate as a desktop environment.

If it is so bad why is it so popular

people are dumb and don't know what's good

Install vanilla ubuntu, then install a few of the desktop environments like Mate and xfce and try them out. It's easy to switch between them and lightdm which is the Ubuntu default makes it easiest, hence start with vanilla.

>Arguably better than windows 10.

only 16.04 LTS.
17.10 is not worth getting because they removed unity.

Seriously, every time I hear someone talk about linux, I hear them complaining about bugs, unwanted hidden processes, useless "features".

That's because they aren't using pure Debian.

damn, baby bush looks like obama

IT TOOK ME 3 HOURS TO INSTALL UBUNTU

3 FUCKING HOURS.

the first 2 hours were trying to get into the bios on windows 10. WHY DID THEY MAKE IT SO DIFFICULT? WAS THE OLD WAY BROKEN? why did they make it so I have to fuck with my boot settings just for it to even recognize my usb stick. WHY WOULD YOU SET THE BOOT INPUT DELAY TO ZERO BY DEFAULT.

WINDOWS 10 is literally trying to be a iphone. I installed ubuntu in 30 mins including all the bloat ware it wanted. And even half of that was fucking with my partitions because windows 10 was being fucky.

Its like they made it as offal as possible so you would want to switch, but then made it as hard as possible to switch.

fuck microsoft fuck windows 10.

install plan9/kNetBSD

i installed ubuntu yesterday
and it had in-built link-app to Amazon
>literal botnet
uninstalled
now downloading mageia
i will install it tonight after work

A good number (like 70% i belive) of steam games support linux becuase gabe hates windows.

Ubuntu mate doesn't have anything like that.

There are plenty of games on Linux. It's really only the shitty aaa games that you play on xbox which don't get ported.

Dualbooting with Win10 is shit. You need to do things in pretty much the right order and know how Win10 installer works. It’s the most horrible thing I’ve ever seen [[{LIKE LITERALEAH}]].

It goes partition first in fdisk or equivalent, then open the windows installer and delete the windows and efi partitions cause windows wants to create some additional partitions automatically, then install win10, then install linux to the rest of the partitions. And also go ntfs and ext4 and nothing else if you want to use all your partitions in the linux side.

It’s fucking artifical and crazy and I’ve spent about a day cussing how truly horrible is the win10 installer. Windows should kys

He’s 100% right. Linux is usable only for LaTeX and programming, and as a general shitposting machine. Wine let’s you do industry standard office work but setting up wine can be tricky or not debending on the program you want to use.

Tldr FOSS and free-as-as-in-free-beer kills the linux for good(=any) support from serious development houses (Adobe, Microsoft etc)

Office365 is now the standard office suite and that works fine on Linux.

who gives a fuck, they fucked around and shat up their own UI so many times and now windows 10 released a not only free OS that doesnt shut down after a few months without activation but also runs smooth as fuck

It's not the fault of Linux that Micro$oft doesn't want to open the .docx format. At least Adobe was kind enough to let .pdf be used for free.

Why not skip the trouble and use different hard drives?

It was already established that linux reigns supreme in programming, and it unironically does. But it’s still CAD, Adobe, MSOffice(office365 is taking over tho) and ANY audio work at all that is horrible or stupid to do on linux.

>linux, mac, and windows user here

This is true and you corrected me (altho many still prefer a desktop program)

Enjoy your 3 year lag on package updates

Only one SSD and only two hard drive slots on my mini-itx

Yeah, web services help a lot. Most of them are botnet though. Whick kinda defeats a purpose of using a free OS.
Just wish that LibreOffice was 100% compatible with MS Office.
Using Fedora since 24 and it never just worked for me. Dnf is safer than Apt but the system itself doesn't hold your hand.
You can delete the link with one click or just use any of Ubuntu flavours.

I have been using linux since 1998. I find it to be the best server operating system around. It is so simple to setup and administrate servers using linux, but desktop linux is like watching a bison trying to tap-dance. It is clumsy, falls over a lot, and makes itself ridiculous. I promise you, every year since 1998 I have searched high and low for a linux desktop operating system that doesnt screw up on me or become a load of irritating shit after a month or two. I just cannot find any version of linux that I like with any DE on it. I use windows for a desktop and run many large linux servers for S/ME's. For me linux desktop distro's are hobbyist computers. They are for the home not the workplace

>offal

>Bush as a woman
C-Cute

Not a big deal, just that linux games have twice the hardware reqs

Because the vast majority of games use the directx api to render graphics and that's proprietary. Linux uses opengl.

I'm gonna be the one to address the actual question. What kind of wifi adapter does your system use? I can almost guarantee its realtek. If that's the case, a bit of googling can fix it, otherwise you could go on amazon and spend $10 on a Panda USB wifi adapter that works flawlessly with linux.

>couldn't look up how to fix it
don't you know that the purpose of smartphones is to troubleshoot linux?

Has ties to nsa so no point of switching

Dual booting is silly and gay. Choose a host, run other OS in VM. Total convenience with easy restoration to previous states.

You don't and never will need Linux on bare metal except for servers since it's a server OS. Install a Windows host, then play with Linux in VMs to learn Linux and VMs. It's pure win. Linux is fine for appliances and ricing, and you can rice VMs conveniently because if you break shit trying to look cool you can restore to a previous state.

I've run Linux since 1999 but use Windows where appropriate because apps like AutoCAD don't exist on Linux and I need what they do. The purpose of an OS is to run applications, that is all.

Ubuntu 17.10 is great.

Funny thing I would never run Windows on bare metal, I guess the only reason would be vydia gaymen but no competent adult cares for that right?

fpbp

Wait what, why would you need twice the power to play a game on linux compared to windows? That doesnt make any sense