Why aren't you using a Model M?

Why aren't you using a Model M?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HWTz8GpDxQo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>unicomp

small desk, I prefer a 60%

I am, in fact I picked up a lot of like 8 of them a while ago, would Sup Forums be interested in buying any if I did something cool with them?

Because I'm using a Topre Realforce 104UB

sucks for gaming + too loud

red switches ftw

t.poorfag

Unicomp are shit, cheap ass plastics.

Sure post a link to buy them I'll buy one from you.

Need special ARR GEE BEE GAYMING KEYBOARD
The model M works fine dude

loud and ancient. also it's wired. i mean, it's 2017. sent from apple magic keyboard (bluetooth).

Because Model F.

CLICCITY CLACC

>Why aren't you using a Model M?
I ldon't have an AT to PS2 adapter.

Already have one and loving it.

Fuck the haters who complain that it is "Too loud".

It works fine for gayming unless you need high 'n' rollover for fighting games and don't want to use a controller (The way fighting games are meant to be played).

I am.
1991 PS/2 UK layout from Greenock.

Because i only use alp switches

What's wrong with unicomp? They use the same manufactories, materials, and the same workforce. They've also made only minor changes to the design.

Unicomp beam spring when?

wish I could find a space saver that isn't stupidly overpriced

I have a better keyboard.

I haven't put them up yet, they need to be cleaned and some of the keycaps need to be replaced. I'll post again when they're up somewhere.

The AEK2 is an excellent keyboard. I'm glad that you're happy with your decision.

Get in touch with some recycle centres. I have a recycling company that keep an eye out for anything I request and I've gotten two SSK's, three industrial Model M's, and a Model F 84 key AT through them.

They're also dirt cheap for some reason, and never had the poor process flow issues which led some Model Ms to have brittle bezels.

Downside is you need an ADB converter.

I use unicomp because the feel and value are unbeatable, but the problem is that they use ancient equipment and refuse to improve any of the glaring design flaws (plastic rivets, shitty membranes that break, massive useless bezel, etc)

Damn, the model M looks like *THAT*?

Who are you sending that question to?

y-you too

Model M is the flimsy consumer board, real niggas ride or die with the Model F

Because i am

So why doesn't Unicomp make a SSK clone?

that's not a model M.

Because I prefer bump to click.

Mine died when I spilled tea on it. Rather than boltmod and replace the membrane, I bought a cheapass board with gateron blues.

I loved that old M, but I wouldn't go back to a board that doesn't have media keys, windows/menu keys, and backlighting.

There's nothing flimsy about Model M's, they are better than the majority of modern keyboards. Model F's are just built better because of how much money was thrown in to their production. They did have significant negative aspects though e.g. Non removable cables, very weak plastic cases, and retarded layouts.

Lexmark didn't sell them the tooling for some bizarre reason.
Yes it is.

What keyboard is that?

55g realforce 87u

why isn't unicomp selling a tkl?

I
I got my k551 vara today

Because it takes them ages to make the moulds for one. They are a small company catering for a niche market.

>Why aren't you using a Model M?
Thankfully I'm not a NEET relegated to dumpster diving/buying second hand leftovers and can afford new peripherals.

Except a used Model M costs more than your garbage peripherals.

Enjoy the thrift shop life bro. You'll get your shit together someday...

Am I the only one on this board that has no problem using basic and cheap keyboards?

Been using one of these for about 10 years now.

I've never been to a thrift store in my life, I live in the UK... Enjoy the shitty gaymer keyboards bro, you'll probably never get your shit together. I'm fine with using cheaper keyboards (I use a k120 at work most of the time) I just don't enjoy them as much as a Model M, F, beamspring, or topre.

They could literally price them at $250 and they would sell out instantly.
All they would need to do is make a few threads on leddit too.

How expensive are these things now?

Completely true, just look at how well the Model F recreation project is doing. Unfortunately Unicomp are retarded. $250 give or take.

>tee hee, look at me, my life is so much better than yours
to each his own, I used an old DEC rubberdome for a couple years before getting my current board

filco majestouch is superior to this shit

>tfw using a $40 devo with browns
>Works well enough and I enjoy typing with it
>Also decent for the occasional game
Why the autism over super expensive keyboards?

I dont like the feel of buckling spring keys

What sort of weird butt plug is that next to your keyboard? Also, is the click feel really that much better on a model F vs M?

>What's wrong with unicomp?
Tooling is so old it can vote.
>They use the same manufactories, materials, and the same workforce.
Too bad they don't use the same amount of material. 20th century Model M have thick robust plastic cases that don't bend and don't squeak, unlike Unicomp's.
>They've also made only minor changes to the design.
They've added the win key, which is nice enough I guess (personally since I got my Model M I don't miss the win key at all) and made USB version, but they never fixed the only real issue the Model M has: the plastic rivets.

Unicomp probably isn't swimming in money, but they also don't invest in their products, and the product they sell reflects it, and surely they don't try to push it on a wider market. Their current strategy is keeping price low by cheapening the product and cutting corners with the production. I think that they could try making a proper high quality first generation Model M, with thick plastic and tight tolerances, calling it Premium Model M, and charging double the price, and invest in some marketing. Gayming shit sells for more than that and offers half as much, Topre keyboard are priced really ridiculously and they're still being sold.

Because I use a Key Tronic

>tfw youll never own an IBM 5576-003

why even live my dudes

youtube.com/watch?v=HWTz8GpDxQo

enjoy no F-keys