Radio - Amateur, CB, FRS, GMRS

Anyone here into radio stuff? What do you do with it (e.g. build, talk, mess with antennas, etc.)?

Other urls found in this thread:

radio.garden/live/
websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
pastebin.com/9uYXMhVm
sdr.hu/?q=kiwisdr
vocaroo.com/i/s1cGcZROUd7U
github.com/srsLTE/srsLTE
gitlab.eurecom.fr/oai/openairinterface5g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

try 2012 Sup Forums, you'll get more responses there.

Man I was super into it, built my own antennas, bought a few radios, spent all kinds of money on it. But I could never really get over the fact you have to talk to, or communicate with, another human bean. I'm just so over it now.

Wifi through SDR when? And how?

I'm just an SWL, not really interested in transmitting at all, just listen to shortwave broadcast.

shit man when I was a radioman back the day we were already running computer networks through encrypted vhf

I got a scanner. I don't do shit with it because everything interesting has gone trunked in my city.

Also have a little sdr setup on one of my computers but don't really touch it much though.

>when
Since yesterday
> how
Usrp + s/w wifi implementation = nearly 1k buck and kb/s speeds.

I play with rfics and microcontrollers. I like trying out different modulations etc. but I have no one to communicate with because other hams in my country are old farts with no real interest in rf.

recieved my extra license in 2010. I tried DXing but mostly you encounter grouchy old farts, or psycho contesters trying to rack up points.

I recieved an SDRplay Uno as a gift and use it for ADS-B mostly but the software makes my windoze laptop run hot.

Programmable microcontollers sound fun. I don't have any space for antennas at the current shithole I'm renting, so anything small-ish gets consideration.

Fuck yeah!

I'm interested, but I don't know where to start. Read a bunch of stuff about em though.

I just wanna receive different radio stations from all over the world. Not really interested in SKYKING SKYKING and all those stuff.

Although a friend of mine said he has a device which lets him listen to aircraft communication.

KEO*** here. I just use a uv-5r on an open local repeater. I've got a mag loop and an HF rig, but my dumbass apartment uses Eaton GFCI circuitbreakers in every fusebox. Let's just say those are very sensitive to HF frequencies.

tl;dr I EMP'd a 300 unit apartment twice in the same night

You need this then:
radio.garden/live/
Or hard mode:
websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

We have pasta for that:
pastebin.com/9uYXMhVm

Or you can use sdr.hu/?q=kiwisdr

Can somebody tell me what this is, or how it can be decoded? I hear stuff like this a lot on websdr.
vocaroo.com/i/s1cGcZROUd7U

Probably regular RTTY at about 75 baud.
The best soundcard software is fldigi.You can even decode from wav files.

I've got a 4m telescoping antenna mast with some Nagoya antennas for my Baofeng and BTECH HTs, going to get a mobile radio soon. What should I get for ≤$85? Preferably with 70cm, 1.25m, and 2m bands, although I could do without 1.25m if there are no tri-band radios in that price range. Are there any with the detachable faceplate so I can move the radio from my car to my desk?
I've also built an HF radio but haven't made an antenna for it yet.

what about the bladerf?

has anyone here made/run a LTE base station with a bladerf? if so, what software did you use?

>LTE base station
That would be an impressive feat.

well, I don't really know what I'm talking about, but.. you can build a 2G BTS with a bladerf x40 and YateBTS, so why not? a quick googling shows some software for this exists:
github.com/srsLTE/srsLTE
gitlab.eurecom.fr/oai/openairinterface5g
etc.

>I don't really know what I'm talking about
by this I mean, I don't really know the terminology or the tech behind all this stuff.
I only know that it's possible, I've done it.

>fldigi
Looks like some quality software.

Suppose I want to buy a simple dongle (yes, I said dongle) for my raspi. Can I do wifi too through that dongle?

You should be thinking more in the realm of $200-300 for a dual or triband mobile unless you can find a good deal used.

For $85 though, you could get a Ed Fong antenna, which will likely out-preform any Nagoya or whatever.

I'm just interested in a unit that works, not one that works well. I don't have the sort of money to be buying decent gear and chink shit more than suffices.

bump

The normal DVB-T receivers wouldn't work, you'd need a transceiver. Plus Wi-Fi's frequencies are out of its range. You need to look into transceivers that can do 2.4 and/or 5GHz.