/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/ (Seach 'Intel')

====

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070 / 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB SSD is almost mandatory

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/Gh7ztJ
youtube.com/watch?v=jbf0IuXses4
amazon.com/EZDIY-Front-Panel-inch-Reader/dp/B01MCS676Q
nowinstock.net/full_historydetails/119/29269/
pcpartpicker.com/product/nkX2FT/rosewill-case-nighthawk117
amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-3-5-Inch-Converter-SDP08/dp/B008O510FW?th=1
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB-vs-AMD-RX-580/3646vs3923
amazon.com/Ultra-Rogue-M925-Tower-Gaming/dp/B00AAH9O6E
pcpartpicker.com/list/LGqKf8
galax.com/en/graphics-card/10-series/galax-geforcer-gtx-1070-oc-mini.html
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009C3M7H0/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B009C3M7H0&pd_rd_r=45a8bffd-b6a7-11e7-8c37-3da6d9ea9702&pd_rd_w=X4PCh&pd_rd_wg=QpnKH&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=M7GFBZ5SYYCTFPPGXMVF&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=c94b10e6-5d13-4277-941a-22d2451d77f4&pf_rd_i=desktop
youtu.be/VuP6I0mOb1s?t=59
thebottlenecker.com/#project
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Great info. Euro here looking for a 5/600 euro build for GF gaming. Any recommended builds to suggest?

>GF gaming
????

Reposting from end of last thread.

whatdo if ram doesn't OC to 3200Mhz? It causes the system to not boot and reset defaults. More-so, what would be a potential cause?

did you update bios
did you check QVL
did you buy decent RAM

There are builds in the OP. You're basically looking at a 1050Ti paired with a cheap CPU like the G4600 at that budget

Z370 board, senpai, no bios updates
What's this? New to OCing so I'm a bit of a brainlet here
I got 2x8gb 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance

My gf only plays ftl and terraria, so she plays them on mac. What's your gf playing.

did you set the xmp profile or manually enter speeds?

GTX 1050Ti MY LOLI WAIFU! KAWAII DESU NE, 1050Ti-CHAN! KYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~

>Corsair
rip

>$1500 budget
>mainly play Overwatch and edit videos for $ in spare time
fix my shit? how does this look?

if it's $1500 you can get a 8700k

Yeah, did this then picked desired speed. Also tried playing with the voltage. Currely have it set at 2666 and it's booting fine.

Corsair seems decent, what would you have opted for?

but is it worth the $120 more? I would like to save money where I can.

>Short for Qualified Vendor List, QVL is a list of pre-qualified vendors who have third-party products or services that a manufacturer has approved as suitable and compatible with their own products or services.

you already got a ton of replies
upgrade to 8700k and 1080ti

whats the best gpu for blender? does cpu really matter that much? i mean i know theres benchmarks for cpu rendering but doesnt gpu rendering make them obsolete?

>is it worth the $120 more?
no

how's this for 1080p 60fps gamin?
pcpartpicker.com/list/Gh7ztJ

>1080ti for overwatch
Just stop posting.

whelp, not listed. Guess I should've researched further before buying. The 3000Mhz seems on it though.

Anyone know what mini itx temperatures are like?

>that rx580 price
just get a gtx 1060 3GB for $100 less and get a better cpu and/or 16gb of ram for $140-160

he has a 4k monitor
youtube.com/watch?v=jbf0IuXses4

drops even under 60fps

get 1200 or 1600, they're the sweet spots
1200 actually performs better than 1400 for single and quad core performance
I've heard gaming pro is the single B350 board to avoid
Don't know how trustworthy patriot and adata are

I am having trouble finding a case with 2 fans preinstalled and an sd card reader on the front for cheap.

Should I just stop caring about the sd card and use a cheap usb dongle?
It's ugly and probably slower, so I'd like to have a built in reader.
Am I being autistic?

>recommending 8700K
>recommending to go find unicorn horns

Pick none.

Got given a pretty decent computer by a family member.
The pc is better than mine which is good because I was about to shop for a new one.

However, the PC is the biggest mess you can imagine software wise.
Virusses more than one could count, weird bugs / glitches that I can't explain...

Now the question: What can I do to make this computer like new and 100% healthy / functioning / safe again?
Or would it be better to just buy all new parts to eliminate all risks like I wanted to do in the first place?

Thank you for reading

couldn't you simply get a 3.5" card reader bay?
mine came with a 2.5" one but obviously 3.5" is much more standard
amazon.com/EZDIY-Front-Panel-inch-Reader/dp/B01MCS676Q

don't worry user
nowinstock.net/full_historydetails/119/29269/
you have an easy 2 minute window to buy it

My brother is giving me his PC, any thoughts on it? I mostly need it for editing/gaming, my budget is around $200-300 American collard greens

Wow/Baldurs Gate/Tomb raider and bioshock infinite.

Pretty eclectic. Needs a little more power than normal for a gf build but not much still. Rarely cutting edge shit.

is your current pc still working and safe
if so, download a windows 7 ultimate rom (preferably off official channel, there's still a site with mirrors of all the msdn downloads), mount it to usb, boot off it on new pc and format the entire hard drive of that new pc.
Unless you're really unlucky this should get rid of all the shite
If you're really unlucky there'll be virusses that carry over formats through UEFI or some shit in which case rip u

if not, I would take an intermediate step where you install another OS like linux first, then on the linux machine make the USB installer.

>My brother is giving me his PC
>my budget is around $200-300 American collard greens
? you mean for upgrades or what?

How long do I have to wait until GPU get back to normal price ? ( Live in EU )

year, maybe more

your gf has really bad and really good taste at the same time. I hope she's not like that irl as well.

I really want this case
>pcpartpicker.com/product/nkX2FT/rosewill-case-nighthawk117
But it doesn't have a 2.5" bay

So for an adapter do I need a 3.5 to 3x2.5 inch converter OR a 3.5 to 2x2.5 inch converter?
>amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-3-5-Inch-Converter-SDP08/dp/B008O510FW?th=1

Fuck MSI and fuck their arr rook same GPU's.

Yeah just for general upgrades, he hasn't done shit to it in the 2 years he's had it. Mostly it's been collecting dust

They're already back to normal prices, here rx 580 8gb is the same if not cheaper as 1060 6gb.

Meh...
Atm i have this, i play on a 144hz monitor, i want to get my 144fps is a 1060 enough ?

alright Sup Forumsuys
how badly did i fuck this up for a competitive FPS pc?

Thank you for your quick and helpful reply.

I will try the USB drive thing, but let's imagine it being a worst-case scenario.
Which parts will I have to replace to be 100% safe and sure?
Or will it, at that point, just be better to buy a new PC?

>no operating system
Very

oh right, i already has win7 and win10 keys

>amazon.com/EZDIY-Front-Panel-inch-Reader/dp/B01MCS676Q
That's kinda overkill fampai, and I don't want to fill a slot just for that.

I guess my autism is somewhere in the middle from not wanting an external sd reader, but neither a dedicated 3.5 bay

>240hz
Impressive. I'm just gonna tell you one secret all of this won't matter cause you're trash at games and ruski kids on amphetamine with 10 year old pc is still gonna rekt you.
t. ex ruski kid with shit pc who always rekt everyone

no russians in my games here, just sometimes laggy koreans lol

Is the Gigabyte 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11G a good custom 1080 Ti? I know it doesn't really matter if it's 1 FPS worse than another model, but does it have any major problems to worry about?

And how does it compare to EVGA Ti FTW3?

Oh don't worry then, koreans suck at fps and I'm assuming you mostly aim to play competitive fps with that 240hz.

are russians mostly problems for europeans gamers? i'm US west and i hardly notice any russians rushing B cyka blat etc etc

in my country the 3GB 1060 and the 4GB 580 are priced the same
wich one should i get?

Screencap this, 2019 we get a GPU Anime powerd by Nvidia

motherboard
if you rebuy motherboard, you're best off upgrading to coffeelake or ryzen and ddr4, if you keep in mind coffeelake doesn't have cheap boards right now it's not looking good

I would say do a GOOD format, reinstall windows of an iso you KNOW is safe and was mounted on a system you KNOW is safe, then go from there
it's not like it can get any worse, the virus can only be in your hard drive or in very rare cases, motherboard

so what the fuck do you want then?
do you just want a single SD card slot next to your usb ports on your front panel I/O because I don't think that exists

>8700k for gaming pc
you're retarded
>wifi for gaming pc
even more retarded than I thought

google and look at reviews

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB-vs-AMD-RX-580/3646vs3923
tl;dr 580 if it has to be one of those two

in this scenario the 580 is better

They only play eu servers for some reason. And when it comes to russians there are only 3 types.
1. Absolute trash and will yell in Russian destroying game for everyone even the opposing wining team.
2.Hackers same as above
3.Stack of some pro ruski who are fucking ex pro players or something and will always win no matter what.
If you play on the team with 3 you're fine, otherwise you're fucked

it looks like something a old lady would buy for their grandkids

>google and look at reviews

I did before posting.

>Gigabyte is pretty great, no real issues
>EVGA is slightly better in terms of normal and boost clocks, but you'll never notice unless you're obsessive
>Buy literally any 1080 Ti and it'll be a huge improvement over a regular 1080.

But Sup Forums sometimes has unique advice about not getting memed.

>do you just want a single SD card slot next to your usb ports on your front panel I/O?
Yes, exactly.
My 2006 prebuilt had it, and I've seen cases with it, I just don't remember what model they where, and I didn't check for number of fans and other shit at the time.

you're going to get memed even more here because of brand loyalty

Here I guess amazon.com/Ultra-Rogue-M925-Tower-Gaming/dp/B00AAH9O6E
3 fans, sd card slot up top

is 8700k for 240hz gaming that retarded?
is there a better cpu for squeezing out more fps than coffee lake? please suggest something better

I'm a Britfag, the chances of us getting anything in soon is slim two nun.

Thanks again!

I will try the format + reinstall first, if that doesn't work I'll take the other option you recommended.

I've got a final question, it's probably a stupid one.
I've also been given a cheap mouse + keyboard with it and a PLS monitor, could these possibly also be infected?
The monitor has intergrated memory to store settings I think, but no USB ports.

I'm not sure if anything like that is possible but I thought it'd be best to ask you as you have more knowledge ob this matter than I do.

Finally got my parts together:

pcpartpicker.com/list/LGqKf8

Sadly can't go for the 1060 with 6GB since I'm already stretching my budget. Not sure with the Case.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, it's also pretty good looking.
Nice find.

>8gb of ram in 2017
why would you do this
seriously, with chrome open i can't play cities skylines because my 8gb of ram isn't enough

Bought GTX 1070.
Temp around 88c. Is it normal?

Card is GALAX GTX 1070 mini.

galax.com/en/graphics-card/10-series/galax-geforcer-gtx-1070-oc-mini.html

Although I agree 8gb is shit I can play the shittiest game of this year pubg while streaming it and having chrome in background on 8gb.

close the chrome then

>It is possible, but difficult to achieve. It has only been demonstrated in lab conditions, and has not ever been spotted in the wild.

unless your pc was used to test the limits of virusses, no

formatting your pc with a good format program WILL get rid of the virusses, I just answered the "what if it doesn't"

well what would you say is the basic amount you'd need

I could play cities skyline with steam and a browser open

consider not using google's botnet you retard

>Bought GTX 1070.
>Temp around 88c. Is it normal?
idle or load, if idle, send it back, if load, you bought from a shitty manufacturer so it's on you
it's bad but not too bad, maybe underclock it a bit just to be safe

Because Budget. Also fucking prices are too damn high.

Would it make a difference to go for 3200 CL16 instead? It's cheaper than the one I've picked and I can get it faster.

64 at the very least
I'd consider 128 a minimum

i had 10gb of ram (8+2) for a while and that was almost enough for everything i do but i think 16gb is the best amount

>consider not using google's botnet you retard
i did use firefox before but the 3+GB memory leaks forced me to switch to chrome
firefox would not stop eating my ram until it crashed

>intel fags having problems with their shit motherboards
wow as if i didnt predict this would happen

>almost $300 for a i5
just no, don't

why would anyone scurry so quickly to cuck themselves

>competitive FPS
>8700k and 1080 ti
waste of money

>i did use firefox before but the 3+GB memory leaks forced me to switch to chrome
>firefox would not stop eating my ram until it crashed
I have NEVER seen firefox go over 1.5gb and even then it was like 16 hours of constant browsing, watching videos and doing god knows what else
if I use chrome for an hour it's already over 1gb, you just don't see it as easily because it has 37 processes open each with its own ram cost

I just opened chrome, opened a youtube video, switched the video 3 times, went to Sup Forums, switched the board 5 times and I'm already at 530 mb of ram in 5 minutes
meanwhile I'm at 650 with firefox having opened hundreds of different tabs and dozens of videos and I've had it open for 4 hours already

Okay, ordering this as soon as I can get my hands on 8th gen intel:

>CPU
Intel 8600K

>GPU
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Dual OC

>MoBo
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming Motherboard

>Storage
Already a bunch of this on another computer so...
2 x 250GB Samsung 960 EVOs in RAID 0

>RAM
Whatever 3000MHz is on sale

>PSU
Whatever modular decent ~700W is on sale that day

>Case
Corsair Air 740
White LEDs because there's a button for it on the case and I don't want redundant buttons

>Cooling
NZXT Kraken for the CPU
Bunch of internal fans for the massive case

Money isn't really any object but I'm on a couple of 1440p monitors that I've grown used to:
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009C3M7H0/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B009C3M7H0&pd_rd_r=45a8bffd-b6a7-11e7-8c37-3da6d9ea9702&pd_rd_w=X4PCh&pd_rd_wg=QpnKH&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=M7GFBZ5SYYCTFPPGXMVF&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=c94b10e6-5d13-4277-941a-22d2451d77f4&pf_rd_i=desktop

so I'm not sure why I'd need anything mor... Rate plox

I mean ryzen has significantly more issues with ram

How smooth is it running a 144hz or 165hz monitor?
Also, is it best to get a GPU with an AIO cooler since you will be running it at 100% usage almost always?

>idle or load, if idle, send it back, if load, you bought from a shitty manufacturer so it's on you
>it's bad but not too bad, maybe underclock it a bit just to be safe

Temp is on load. After 2 hours Witcher 3 max setting at 1440p. Fan at 70%.

So, below 90c is acceptable or high?

>works for me
ok
but it just didn't work for me, maybe i did something wrong
chrome eats "only" 1.6GB of ram with 10 demanding tabs like Sup Forums, firefox would probably get stuck after an hour of this

pcpp retard

Never built a pc before. What are all the essential things I need that aren't hardware?
I have: Thermal paste & paste remover, a static band, and compressed gas duster. What other little things am I missing?

Very smooth, it's really comfortable experience.

>static band
lmoa what's even the point of that?

you literally only need a small and big screwdriver and thermal paste

What's a good ATX case, guys?

Define C

cardboard

Cases are cases. As long as all your components fit, pick whatever you think will make your computer look not like the other nerd's. Don't forget to add tons of LED lights to look extra leet

Temp is on load. After 2 hours Witcher 3 max setting at 1440p. Fan at 70%.

So, below 90c is acceptable or high?

>buying a meme cpu that isnt in stock anywhwere and is $300
just get a 1600

Anyone know what would be good upgrades for the CybertronPC Borg-Q? I'm still looking in the price range of $200-300. Or should I just forget about upgrading and just build a new one?

>cuck case

even skellies like extra thicc asses.

maybe it's a meme cpu and it's overpriced but it's still way better in games even considering the inflated price

>Fan at 70%.
let it go from 70 to 100% from 80 to 85

85+ is bad, although more accurately, under 85 is perfect. AMD says 95 is "perfectly safe", nvidia says ~85 is maximum ( youtu.be/VuP6I0mOb1s?t=59 )
95+ is run away

you need none of those, most coolers come with preapplied thermal paste, which in MOST cases is fine for general use
paste remover shouldn't be a worry since there shouldn't be paste to remove, unless you choose to remove the preapplied paste
static band is unnecessary if you simply manually ground yourself before you begin and then every once in a while based on how scared you are
compressed gas duster shouldn't be of use because if it's new, there shouldn't be dust. If you're upgrading you will want this to clean other parts at the same time before

you need: a screwdriver to install the motherboard
that's it

thebottlenecker.com/#project
if there is currently no bottleneck, if you want an upgrade you'll have to buy both new cpu (and thus probably new ram and mobo) or new GPU
otherwise, only possible upgrade is probably an ssd

I bet you have a 1050Ti

>it's still way better in games
shitty fotm meme games? at 240p? Ryzen is literally the same fucking thing and you are cucking yourself thinking otherwise

>if there is currently no bottleneck, if you want an upgrade you'll have to buy both new cpu (and thus probably new ram and mobo) or new GPU
if there is no bottleneck you'll have to buy both cpu and gpu*
if there is a bottleneck, you'll only have to upgrade that part to get a peformance boost

somehow I split them together