Does having a secondary monochrome camera sensor really improve image quality in Smartphones?

Does having a secondary monochrome camera sensor really improve image quality in Smartphones?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Android/comments/6jjtq6/oneplus_5_so_what_exactly_does_that_telephoto/
light.co
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It could.

more available data is always good

No. Having more than one camera per side is a meme for retards.

Yes but I'm not talking about that data being used for depth of field or other effects, but rather to gather more light and increase image quality/decrease ISO.

Got any source for that?

It's more useful in low light images.

>Got any source for that?
Yeah. It's called logic. And the fact that any professional camera has a single sensor.

>but rather to gather more light and increase image quality/decrease ISO.

Yes

Fuji used to have sensors with two photosites per pixel to increase dynamic range. Not quite the same thing as your proposing but could be used in a similar fashion.

It's a meme based on monochrome cameras being able to take better low light images and that through the wizardry and magnificence of your smartphone manufacturer's algorithms you'll get better more vibrant pictures.

It's not completely false, but it's main purpose is a marketing meme.

Your opinion is not a source of information. It's useless.

Have you seen how big the sensor in a professional camera is compared to a smartphone?

And adding more sensors is your solution? Look at the best cameras in smartphones ever. They're all single sensors.

Yeah the Huawei P10 is a single sensor, the Samsung Note 8 is a single sensor, the iPhone 8 Plus is a single sensor, the 1+5 is a single sensor you're absolutely right!

Only notable ones I can think of are Sony, Google, and LG which use other hardware fuckery to make up for it.

You're a fucking idiot, dual cameras is the latest meme train and most flagships are jumping on board for marketing.

It's a meme. I have OP5 and the port of Google camera from Pixel(which utilizes only one sensor) does better shots than the official camera. DSP is the deciding factor on phones.

So the data from the monochrome camera is used to improve the image quality of the color image?

Does it work well enough to watch out for dual camera phones?

reddit.com/r/Android/comments/6jjtq6/oneplus_5_so_what_exactly_does_that_telephoto/

Yeah, Nokia 1020 has two sensors. And so does 808..

Why am I an idiot? It's exactly what I said:

I don't give a shit what it's SUPPOSED to do, it just doesn't work.

The second camera in the 1+5 is for lossless zoom, it doesn't do anything to improve image quality, it's just permanently zoomed twice as much as the normal camera.

yes.

Must suck to be left out of arguments, having to resort on memes garbage.

I kind of agree that multiple image sensors are a half assed meme solution but it's not like professional cameras are single sensor solutions - dslrs almost always have a separate autofocus sensor and some even have exposure sensors on top of that, mirror-less cameras tend to only have one sensor though but then everything is done through that sensor
the problem when it comes to smartphones though is that the best image sensors don't always mean the best image quality as a shit ton of 'post' work is done in software which is why different phones with similar quality sensors can produce vastly different results and why third party programs usually produce shitty images (but there's different reasons for that), in this case having a separate monochrome sensor for low light images might work pretty well if it's given time to mature before the market rejects the idea all together

Looking at the Huawei and Honor phones I'll have to admit that the monochrome sensor seems to be the best dual camera setup for phones.

Although you're right about software playing a large part in it, which is why custom ROMs and apps suck.

professional cams have a) bigger sensors and b) lenses with a lower aperture. which means they get more light onto that big sensor of theirs.
holy fuck retarded numales on a tech board don't know the basics

He's an idiot, best not to give retarded bait posters any (you)s, it seems to be their equivalent of getting likes on Facebook.

what the fuck do you need camera for?
if its for normie shit. a typical chinkshit like pixel is enough

When it comes to digital cameras having tons of sensors is a great thing and can make the camera exceed the capabilities of a DSLR. Because it gives you the ability to tweak, zoom and get good light in all areas in your picture and so on. Look at picture related ( light.co ) which has tons of sensors.

Some people like to record memorable moments of their lives user or take pictures of things they don't see every day.

Pic related, when I went to the aquarium.
Wish I had a phone with a better camera...

is this whale poop or something?