/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/ (Seach 'Intel')

====

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070 / 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB SSD is almost mandatory

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=pci ssd holder
pcpartpicker.com/list/PmbNr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/XK3fqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/Y4LztJ
thebottlenecker.com/#project
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W06DX4775
it.pcpartpicker.com/list/LnyswV
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for amd = intel

second for you = fag

third for ???

So this would the best choice to go with?

4th for 60Hz = shit.

Speed or timing for DDR4?

ratto ibm pc is a cute.

someone needs to edit out that windows logo with Tux or GNU please.

Can you use ULMB and Gsync at the same time?

How do I know what speed memory my motherboard will actually support. The QVL only lists 2133mhz RAM modules but c'mon.

No unfortunately. Even with the hardware controller on Gsync and Freesync 2 it's currently impossible to match the strobed backlight with a dynamic refresh rate from Adaptive sync.

look on the specs list

What GPU line is worth buying into? Mid, High, Top? Aka 1070, 1080, 1080ti? Plan to stick to that line buying every 2 gens.

>1000 pixels per second motion
??????????

>Plan to stick to that line buying every 2 gens.
then buy what you need now
for 1080p 1060 6gb is fine
for 1440p you'll want 1070/1070ti
for 4k 1080ti

What's confusing? If you have a monitor 1920 pixels wide, and something is traveling at 1000pixel/s, it means the object takes approximately 2 seconds to travel horizontally across the screen. This means 120 frames at 60Hz, and 240frames at 120Hz.

Bump?

when the fuck is somethin moving that fast nigga

I currently have a 290x at 1080p and it works great. I'm wondering about next gen because that's when I plan to upgrade possibly a new monitor as well.

An FPS? An enemy moving at 1000pixels/s is reasonable. Also you can look at it the opposite way, turning around 180 degrees quickly will cause the background to blur.

>An FPS? An enemy moving at 1000pixels/s is reasonable
that would mean that A) you don't follow him, B) he's real fucking close to you, and as such, real fucking big

I remember seeing a plastic pcie card that just holds an hdd or ssd in place, does anyone know what its called? my case doesnt have a place to put an ssd

what Cinebench scores are you all getting?

lmgtfy.com/?q=pci ssd holder

6, passing grade so I'm happy
pretty surprising tho

Greetings!
A few weeks ago I got a pentium 1 socket7 pc. One of my friends gave me an isa sound card (see pic), as it didn't have one. He also gave me a cable to attach it to motherboard's speaker header. When I put the card in my pc and plugged in the cable and flipped the power switch, thick smoke filled my room as the cable burned.
The audio card outputs white noise, but pc speaker still works.
Anons, where did I fuck up, how was I supposed to connect the card and most importantly, is the card dead?

Greetings.

>He also gave me a cable to attach it to motherboard's speaker header
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

nigger what?

pcpartpicker.com/list/PmbNr7
This is my currently planned build for a 2k rig, is this a good build plan?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/PmbNr7
its shit

Can you give a reason why?

here

he said I can get the pc speaker sounds in the audio output with it

>1700 for probably only gaming
>shit mobo
>2133 ram on ryzen
>western digital ssd
>5400rpm hdd
>shit case
>buying an os
>shit monitor

You need faster RAM. Buy at least 2666MHz, preferably 3000/3200MHz.

>panic over everyone talking about RAM prices skyrocketing
>check ECC RAM
>the price has yet again gone down
YEAH BOI

just OC your memory, my 2666 kit runs at least 3000, though I'm still pushing it higher, and haven't run into a wall yet

Monitor and SSD are shit, go up to a 144hz, save money with a TN panel.
No reason to get such a low cap SATA SSD anymore, either just get a 500gb-1tb or higher SATA SSD, or get a M.2 under 100gb for your OS and a cheap HDD or low tier SATA ssd for the rest of your mass storage.

Motherboard is shit, surely you can find a similarly priced Mobo with WiFi instead of having to run the adapter

Also your GPU is shit, well not exactly but holy shit that’s a lot of money for a non ti - go check out craigslist for deals, lower down to a 8gb 1070 or a RX580

oh shit just did a bit more reasearch
turns out it's used for the cd audio
god fucking damn I'm retarded

What should you get if you want 165Hz and IPS but don't want horrific backlight bleed?

RAM, Mobo, GPU, Monitor, and storage need to be reworked.
Go ALL in on an SSD, a 1tb SATA.
Alternatively a 500gb or less M.2, or a low cap m.2 as a boot drive, with a good HDD or a cheap SSD for the rest of your storage.
HDD’s are obsolete, don’t use them for gaymes or other intensive media, if you must have one buy it down the line. I only use mine for movies, pictures, music, etc

>go up to a 144hz
>lower down to a 8gb 1070 or a RX580
Why would you tell him two incompatible things? He should wait for 1070Ti to come out and see how it overclocks compared to a 1080, but recommending a 1070 for 1440p/144Hz is retarded unless you only play CSGO and Overwatch.

user that goes from your CD drives analog output to your sound card

pcpartpicker.com/list/XK3fqk

???????????
god damned user
I told you to put the vodka away dmitri

24 or 27 inch for 1440p monitor?

get the asrock taichi, it has a built in wifi + better mosfet design

>windows 8
user!

I'm on W10, I don't know why it says W8.

what clock speed and memory are you using?

would also like to see some r5 1600's too

>build 9200

Pay for your software Jamal.

Show single thread score.

I'm literally on a legit copy of W10 Pro. I have absolutely no clue why R15 thinks I'm on W8.

Hey guys I saw this build yesterday pcpartpicker.com/list/Y4LztJ and I was wondering if you think it is a good starting point for a new build I'm going to make (around 1.5k)?
What change would you guys make?

8700K, 1670 multi and 220 single.

Where can I test the single thread score? Cinebench only shows me the multi thread score.

>
Is the guy whose brother was offering him a CybertronPC Borg-Q still around? I've been going over the old thread and shaking my head at some of the advice.

Ignore the recommendations from the thebottlenecker.com/#project site, its GPU comparisons might be technically correct but it's ignoring release dates and availability, so it's recommending you a card that's so old it's out of production and thus more expensive than a modern low-end card with the same power. Just get a 1050 Ti.

I would just get the PC from the brother, stick a 1050 Ti in it for now, then if the CPU is constraining upgrade the CPU/Mobo/Ram later.

Just got my first pay check and was thinking of getting a i7 7700 to celebrate
Should I get one?

No it is equivalent to an i3 now.

Bought 16GB of 3600MHz DDR4, I changed the voltage to 1.36V and the speed to 3900MHz (4000MHz was giving errors). It gives no errors passing 4 passes of memtest86.

Is there anything else I need to do or am I good to go? Do I need to re-test my CPU OC or will it be fine? I'm on a Z370 platform if it matters.

white roast get out of my Japan

>Ignore the recommendations from the thebottlenecker.com/#project site, its GPU comparisons might be technically correct but it's ignoring release dates and availability, so it's recommending you a card that's so old it's out of production and thus more expensive than a modern low-end card with the same power. Just get a 1050 Ti.
which is why I told him to get a card with equivalent performance to what was suggested by the bottleneck tester.

here the bottlenecker site is still valid for looking what STRENGTH of a card should be looked after, then you can simply look at where it stands on the GPU rankboard and then just check the ones near it for either cards you can get on the cheap second hand or can get new for a normal price

Just start gaming and if you crash you know why.

What version of Windows 10 should I buy?

I read that if I get the OEM version I can't re-install it if I upgrade my gear, or did I read that wrong?

the windows 7 version

Nvm found it. Just tested it at 3.625 Ghz, gives me 139 points. But I have a lot of stuff in the background, don't think it has any effect but might be worth pointing out.

I'll run the tests again with higher clock speeds.

>z370
AHAHAHA WE MEMED ANOTHER ONE Sup ForumsUYS, they are so fucking dumb, this is better than memeing people into buying bulldozer for sure

PC Part picker tells me ryzen is not compatible with it

Wew beat by an i5 6400.

>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

It's fine user, just another windows trick to try and get you in an inferior version where they spy on you even more. Personally installed windows and all updates on a ryzen machine just this week

it is just look it up

W7 spies on you just as much as W10.

>multithread doesn't matter muh gaymen

You mad that the 8700K romps and stomps ur shithouse Ryzen chip, sweetie?

sennheiser is shit

still better than audio technica

But I have a stuttermonster 4790k, but hey i guess its just a user error amirite because intel never does anything wrong

Intel is a shit but you can't deny the superiority of the 8700K over everything right now. The lack of availability and the necessity of a delid at 5GHz aren't so great though.

>just delid and overclock to 6 ghz to get 2 more fps than amd

No, ignore the other user. It's more like the i5 8400 (6c/6t)

I haven't really experimented with that bottlenecker site, but I don't trust it

It's ok. Not sure if that RAM will work with Ryzen. Cooler is pretty expensive, and the 960 EVO is overkill.

You sure that RAM is compatible? Monitor is a TN panel.. this one is better
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W06DX4775

>recommending a 1070 for 1440p/144Hz is retarded
It's not like the 1070 won't work with his monitor. If he's buying a new monitor it's better to spend on the monitor and cut costs on the graphics card to drive it. The graphics card will be outdated soon enough anyway, but he's going to have the monitor for a long time.

Honestly it's pretty meh. A lot of the other anons have given decent advice. Fix it up and repost and I'll comment

You can disable/uninstall those updates

>user error
Yeah, you fucked something up somehow.

audio technica is reddit shit just like intel

mine got to 5ghz without deliding

I bought a new HDD and to install it in my old 2007-era case I had to remove the CPU cooler first in order to make it fit

So I'm thinking I probably need a new case anyway, what's a good budget ATX case?

My brother has a Corsair case and it's pretty good with plenty of room, but he bought a Corsair water cooler too.

>i am the reason games put full load on a quad core
>i am the reason intel doesnt make $300 8 cores
>i am the reason intel is just shit
I am brian krzanich?

AKG patrician taste

>100c

Maybe not "the best", but pretty good.

agreed, sennshills can get btfo

it.pcpartpicker.com/list/LnyswV
How is this for a first build?

I went for a kinda budget build.
Only occasional fps gaming, I'm ok with playing at lower resolutions than 1080 (still a step up from pic related)

I was thinking of a build with great room for improvement, just by getting more ram and a better gpu in the future, even if it's bottlenecked right now.

>cinebench single-thread score at 5GHz is a full 40% ahead of ryzen
>2FPS

Sorry sweetie but not everyone plays the latest games at 4K, CPU single-thread performance can matter a lot to some people. I play a lot of CSGO, a lot of older games and some newer ones, Ryzen simply isn't an option for me. Even if it was I'm not poor so I don't really care about the price difference.

Neat. I got a average-ish chip which needs a little under 1.35V to be stable at 5GHz, so I needed a delid. I'm running an older air cooler rather than a CLC too. Was hitting 100C before delid.

>it.pcpartpicker.com/list/LnyswV
looks good just get a powersupply that is based of of seasonic reference though and TF2 is an autism simulater please get better taste in vidya

>not liking some motion blur
do you hate anti-aliasing too?

>what's a good budget ATX case?
what kind of budget?
the meshify c is good at $80
the fractal design focus G is only $40 and decent too

How much do RAM timings matter? Is CAS 18-19-19-39 gud for a 8600K gaming system?

nah 88c, needed more voltage to go to 5.1 and would thermal throttle

>I play a lot of CSGO
you just have shit taste in vidya i get it despite the fact that even the worst ryzen cpu will maintain above 240 fps in that turd game, you just keep trying to rationalize buying one of the most JUST cpus intel ever made

>260fps vs 400fps matters
You don't have a 240hz monitor and all the modern CPUs get insane FPS in that game anyway, so why does it matter?

look at benchmarks of 1050 vs 560 for the games you play

Performance wise it only matters on paper, but it can be important when it comes to compatibility. You may want to check your mobo's QVL before you buy.