Why go full Linux on your PC when you can do Windows + Ubuntu subsystem?

Why go full Linux on your PC when you can do Windows + Ubuntu subsystem?

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2017/08/29/intel_management_engine_can_be_disabled/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because I don't want or need windows on my system

Why bother with putting up with Windows' crap?

Because windows is nonfree.

/thread

Why go full Windows on your PC when you can do Gentoo + Windows Virtual Machine?

because I don't want my computer to spy on me

>being this poor

Because it's shit and doesn't support GPU acceleration

Finally something useful for this came into my mind.
Theres an awesome free video editor called kdenlive which is basically a knockoff of sony vegas. Theres a windowsport for kdenlive but it runs shitty. Will try the linux one with linux subsystem.

Look it’s the Dumb and Cunty -show

Neither of these is Gentoo. If I need either of them, I can virtualize it.

This kills Linux. Microsoft did it again. Mark my words WSFL will get only better with time and because Windows is actually working, usable and professional OS it will eventually kill this stupid Linux fad.

Freedom has nothing to do with price.

EMBRACED

EXTENDED

You are not free if you use loonix and proprietary hardware

I'd rather have Linux with a windows subsystem for muh gaymes

get back to us when your 6 months old hdd is totally kill because of winshit 10.

MS Shills are more and more pathetic by the day. Is the end coming for MS ?

because bare metal is the best

You could use cygwin for years user

It is bare metal, it's not an emulator

/thread

Freedom costs $1000 per household, which is an AK-47 and 20kg of ammo.

Windows can't replace the Explorer desktop with GNU Emacs.

Can it run nmap yet?

The Linux subsystem has no GUI. Enjoy hacking around with VcXsrv and environment variables.

Why would I want to use GNU software on windows when I can do that on linux? That's like eating food from a plate made out of poo instead of from a good clean plate.

why go full Trash when you can do Cancer + Shit subsystem?

>he still thinks this is Linux
It runs some basic programs, including bash. Try tinkering with anything hardware related, running less known programs, or honestly having any real usability. You could accomplish the same with cygwin for years. Don't even get me started on Windows itself.

Because then I'd have to use Windows.

>Hey why eat steak when you can eat steak covered in shit?
This is what you sound like.

The entire reason WSL exists is that Python, Ruby, and other webdev things are hard to install and use on Windows. They are so hard to install and use that it was easier to PORT AN ENTIRE NEW OS PERSONALITY TO THE NT MICROKERNEL than for Microsoft to fix their garbage fire of an OS or submit patches upstream. This was 100% about trying to avoid bleeding webdev laptop marketshare.

This. It's the typical, locked-down, highly restricted sort of thing I expected from such a company as Microsoft.

I prefer my linux with windows subsystem.
I got so comfortable with my system that windows feels "not right" for work. So i just start it up when i need it for some games. (GPU passthrough)

The fuck are you screeching about?

>Windows 10 netbook
>decide to let it onto the internet
>spends an hour downloading and preparing updates
>finally reboot
>BSOD "cannot create ramdisk"
>no fix

>try clean install of Fall update
>half of drivers are missing

who would put up with a shit OS like this?

Because I don't need Windows for what I want to do on my PC.

Windows is malware

Because windows is malware

webdev fags already use macs mostly

Why go windows when you can install a windows virtual machine on Linux?

Microsoft was trying to claw back marketshare from Linux and Mac. It didn't really work.

Didn't expect /k/unts to come here

There's a huge crossover between Sup Forums, Sup Forums, /k/, and [spoiler]Sup Forums[/spoiler].

/k/ army, 2nd division - "Informational Warfare"

Because why use Linux anything when windows is more than capable of doing whatever it is you're trying to do better than Linux ever could?

The only thing Linux is good for is building a hardened installation for VM testing and overall security (encrypted OS install, better drive security). For actual work that requires more than being able to browse the web, windows is the only option.

Windows actually lets me make use of my hardware for whatever it is I'm doing instead of hogging it all for "security", telemetry, etc

>Because why use Linux anything when windows is more than capable of doing whatever it is you're trying to do better than Linux ever could?
_NSAKEY

too bad the _NSAKEY is in the firmware now

Purism is shipping their Librem laptops with the management engine permanently disabled now, and with GNU/Linux preinstalled.

>food analogy

mingw64/msys2 is enough if I need it

I'm talking even if you went completely offline. Don't even install network drivers or plug your PC into a network ever. Windows still has a vastly superior selection of programs. Ranging from professional editing software, to architectural and CAD, to games if you're so inclined. What does Linux have the doesn't require a VM with VGA pass through? Or God forbid having to configure WINE.

I'm not fighting windows from a privacy perspective. It's blatantly clear that MS has completely bent over backwards and sold themselves to big brother. But for actually getting shit done, it's leaps and bounds ahead of any Linux distro.

>permanently disabled
How, exactly?
Pretty sure it plays a part in the boot process now

Oh so Windows wins in a highly limited and nonexistant scenario?

because you're still using a botnet

Basically a secret mode that was undocumented to everyone but CIAniggers:

theregister.co.uk/2017/08/29/intel_management_engine_can_be_disabled/

>Disabling a network drivers is now a non-existent scenario

Whatever. Have fun with your hobby distro. Ive used Linux in it's many forms for years. Ran servers on it. Daily use machines, etc. It never comes close to the ease of use and put of box experience of even a non updated version of Windows 7/10

Is a shit.

>been using windows ever since 95
>never tried anything else
>want to make the switch to linux+ubuntu but sort of (entirely) technologically dumb to do so
>no one on Sup Forums will help and just call me a fag instead

life hurts.
I-is there anyone who can point out a linux/ubuntu install guide to a brainlet? I'm currently using Windows 10 (if that matters).

>It never comes close to the ease of use and put of box experience of even a non updated version of Windows 7/10
I take it you've never used Slackware then. A full DVD install of Slackware comes with a full development toolchain, and sources and headers for everything from the kernel on up through Firefox and KDE, all right out of the box. That beats the tar out of anything Windows has ever offered.

Nice subjective opinion, here's mine.
>boot windows 10
>VRRRRRRRR
>Disk 100%
>Network 100% (updates)
>arbitrary proprietary MS binaries

It's a very simple process.
1. Back up any files you want to keep to external media.
2. Download Rufus and the Ubuntu installer.
3. Burn the installer to USB with Rufus.
4. Boot from USB.
5. Follow the clickybuttans installer directions, choosing defaults where you don't know or don't care about the options presented.
6. Boot back into your new Ubuntu install.

The reason you're getting called a fag is that most Sup Forumsentoomen figured this out as teenagers without any handholding. You have to be at least willing to try on your own.

>He doesn't know how to edit registry keys, group policies, or task scheduler to turn off auto updates/ auto restarts

Disk usage and network usage will also spike when updating a Linux distro too.

>actually buying windows
>giving bill gates rent money for literally no reason
>being this classcucked

>cletus shooting printouts of mexicans in his backyard is freedom

>Disk usage and network usage will also spike when updating a Linux distro too.
It's a completely different order of magnitude. I can run a dist-upgrade on a crusty old Debian box without even noticing Firefox hiccup. A release to release upgrade on Windows (or a """cumulative update""" on Win10) takes a Skylake i7 down for half an hour minimum.

>printouts of

i miss dobson

Linux distro updates are perpetual and relatively small (megabyte range) and happen very quickly.
Unlike Windows, which takes minutes to connect to the servers and get things going and doesn't even display a speed.

>thinking that you can disable the botnet in windows
>you can only disable/remove what they want you too

you can't just remove the botnet, if they don't want you disabling it, you won't find a way too either

>registry keys, group policies, or task scheduler to turn off auto updates/ auto restarts
Mostly visual changes which are gladly bypassed as windows pleases.

Because niggers don't know bout muh telemetry and NSA.

It's like Snowden sacrificed his life for fucking nothing!

Because when I install any Linux distro it actually contains Linux, unlike the GNU/NT subsystem you have.

Also, there's no equivalent to "group policy" on Linux because everything is just a text file. You can use config management tools to manage every text file on your systems at once, rather than needing applications to be GP-aware.

1. Run linux
2. put Windows 10 in a VM
3. Don't let Windows send your data to MS from inside of its cuck shed
4. ????
5. Profit!

I feel like they honestly would have had way more luck if they started an entirely new OS from scratch based off BSD. It's more of a gamble, but windows is honestly so fundamentally broken and bloated at this point, you may as well scrap the whole fucking thing.

Check out the wiki, do some googling, ask questions you can't find answers to in /flt/ or /sqt/.

>Download Rufus
>Download Ubuntu 17 (.iso)
>Plug in USB stick
>Run Rufus as admin
>Click little disc icon
>Select Ubuntu .iso
>Close when finished
>Boot from USB
>Wipe windows 10

You owe me some bitcoins now

Honestly I'd rather they went back to basics with what NT was supposed to be, a microkernel with a single-root logical filesystem, clean separation between the system, applications, and user files, with drivers running in userspace. They even had native personalities for DOS, Unix, and OS/2 compatibility. The original sin of NT was adopting a Win32 personality rather than just cordoning that off inside the DOS world.

You guys are great, thanks, that actually helps a lot.

But I don't know why you'd want to use Ubuntu since it runs the linux version of intel management engine called systemd.
At least get Kubuntu.

Fuck off with the Sup Forums memes. Ubuntu has been the best default entry point into Linux desktops for the past decade.

Who here macOs master race?

As a person with a certified IQ of 147, I had no troubles fiddling about with Manjaro and Devuan.

>t. mactoddler untermensch

Well, I appreciate the Linux toolset, but it's not the primary reason I left Windows. I left Windows because it just gets in your way. Linux can take some work to set up, but once you set it up, you can have a very nice and efficient system that just stays out of your way. I would much rather have those Linux tools in a proper Linux environment.

>inb4 Stallman pasta

Yeah no. Because you still have to use shitty Windows with it. A lot of people don't even care about any of the Linux developer tools, they just want to get away from shitty Windows.

Right, but that guy isn't you or me. Why make his ascension harder than it has to be? He can rice out Ubuntu just as hard as any other distro once he learns the zen of Apt/Dpkg and how to build from a minimal netinstall.

Leave it up and unattended for a month and see what happens.

oh so it's like mac but for poor people. and with more ads. nice

My good man, we needn't patronise newbies.

/thread

Why go loonix at all?

Because Windows is shit at managing RAM?

I guess, the failed android compatibility layer have something to do with it. At least w10 fags can have good ssh support and use cloud shit without much problem.

Better have a single room full of shit in a house instead of an entire house with one clean room in it.

Microsoft is actually making the standard Windows console ANSI/VT100/xterm compatible and porting OpenSSHd so they can drop their awful proprietary protocols for PSRemoting/WinRM and use SSH. This means that after decades of shitting on Unix and Linux, Microsoft is gradually pushing Windows Server into being a horrible mashup of Windows 95 and VAX/VMS.

Why install a botnet layer between GNU+Linux and bare metal?

>Why go full Linux on your PC when you can do Botnet + Ubuntu subsystem?
Made u think

but it can play videogames

drivers