Tfw you realise linus was only a year older than you when he released an entire fully functioning kernel

>tfw you realise linus was only a year older than you when he released an entire fully functioning kernel

Other urls found in this thread:

therichest.com/celebnetworth/celebrity-business/tech-millionaire/linus-torvalds-net-worth/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Million_Dollar_Homepage
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tfw you realize there are 12 year olds writing lua scripts for roblox who have more programming knowledge than you do

So you're telling me you can't write for loops or if statements?

And now he shills hardware on youtube.

You still have a year to write a fully functioning kernel
Godspeed user

And never even speaks about the Linux OS that he invented.

Shit, that's true for me too. I have five months.

George Westinghouse
invented the rotary steam engine at age 19

>tfw some 16 year old is making $1000 a month off his minecraft server empire he manages after school

>22
>been using computers since i was like 5
>all did was play video games and can't actually do anything useful

Why not become a successful business man instead of wasting your time programming kernels that no one on Earth uses except for servers?

>kernels that no one on Earth uses except for servers
There are over 2 billion Google-activated Android phones.

therichest.com/celebnetworth/celebrity-business/tech-millionaire/linus-torvalds-net-worth/

Android is not Linux

Alex Tew made the $1,000,000 homepage at age 21
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Million_Dollar_Homepage

Because every startup idea I have has already been attempted by someone else.

>$10mil annual salary
From where?

why are we on Sup Forums

I knew a guy like that, used to rub it in everyone's face too. Still cry a little every time I remember him.

From everywhere. The Linux kernel is the single most used kernel in the planet.

Isn't it "free" as in beer and speech?

No one's paying for it though.
The only people directly making money from people using linux are canonical and redhat.

>The only people directly making money from people using linux are canonical and redhat.

>Im a business illiterate
Thats why you dont earn any money

I'm starting cs next year so maybe i'll fit in.

RMS must be mad as fuck. Where does that ugly fat fuck earn his money?

You can be paid for writing open source code you know

AWS make a shitload of money from Linux.

$250,000 MacArthur Genius Grant

Shouldn't Linus be splitting his earnings with everyone who contribute to Linux kernel development?

Because 'g' is so close to 'v' and your doritos encrusted fingers are so fat you typed the wrong letter.

Yes it is.

Are you dumb?

>implying that is in someway hard
This is why /sci/ makes fun of us

>tfw your classmate in high school was making 2000$ a month making unedited GTA glitch videos on youtube

>giving a flying fuck over what some friendless virgin spending his life hunched over equations thinks

>giving a flying fuck over what some friendless virgin spending his life hunched over his computer thinks

well, I don't in either case

We are the same archetype of person yet they still earn more money than me
where did I fuck up?

No one implied that chief. Insecure much?

I don't know much about RMS private life, but I would say he made a poverty vote.

Their money/effort ratio is still terrible. And every time they see a guy playing in the park with his dog & cute gf they think of that razor in their bathroom cabinet

I do not even play vidya that much, nor have I ever gone to Sup Forums.

>im just hear to botnet circle jerk

Just go to talk about your CS degree there, of course, if your college was actually bretty good then nothing will happen

oh... THen you're probably here on purpose I guess. I am also here for the botnet circlejerk

I'm talking about people DIRECTLY making money from linux you retards, as in selling Linux as a product.
I know there's thousands of other companies selling server access, technology using linux etc.
But back to my original question, how does any of this generate revenue for linus when linux is released under the GPL and he's not providing support or any other profitable services.

>DIRECTLY making money from linux
SuSE Linux Enterprise Server / Desktop
Univention Corporate Server
Oracle Linux

Most Linux kernel developers get paid for their work.

Tfw i had a minecraft server a long time ago a nobody played there
tfw made free foss apps and android apps and nobody uses them
Tfw some 10 year old makes floppy bird esque shit and makes a fortune
So unfair

>I'm talking about people DIRECTLY making money from linux you retards, as in selling Linux as a product.
Many people earn money on that Microsoft for example with Azure... Amazon with AWS

>But back to my original question, how does any of this generate revenue for linus when linux is released under the GPL and he's not providing support or any other profitable services.
Many people earn millions on GPL software. Wordpress for example. You are allowed to sell free software and earn money in other ways as well.

Many companies pay for Linux Kernel development.

>tfw the guy who made floppy bird wasted tens of millions of dollars by removing it from the app stores.

Is there a law that only one business can do a particular thing, aside from patents? Even if someone else has already done what you want to do, do it anyway and do it better. You're more likely to succeed anyway following what someone else has already proven is a viable business model than doing whatever crackpot idea you thought up yourself.

Isn't he head of the Linux Foundation? He probably draws a salary from there (plus speaking engagements or any outside work he does). Non-profit doesn't mean they don't pay their employees.