BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, OPNsense, FreeNAS, etc.

Join IRC:
#baot @ irc.rizon.net
#freebsd,#openbsd,#netbsd @ irc.freenode.net

Documentation:
freebsd.org/handbook
openbsd.org/faq
netbsd.org/docs

Curious Linux user? Ask questions, get answers, ignore obvious trolls.

Hello. I use freebsd and I'd like to use a package manager. Is there any available like the one included with trueOS?

man 8 pkg

apt-get doesn't work? how do download internet explorer?

macOS uses BSD 4.3 and FreeBSD

is there a list of recommended server utils for freebsd? particularly monitoring / intrusion detection / security

hows hardenedbsd coming along for servers btw?

in order to upgrade OpenBSD on a remote server do you require KVM/console access? it appears yes as the procedure seems to be to boot into the ramdisk kernel but I'm wondering if this is the only way.

Has OpenBSD's virtualbox support actually improved? Seems like I can finally get it to play audio without choking.

great thread what a joke

i don't think there's any way to live patch

Anyone got NetBSD or OpenBSD going under Virtualbox with and Xorg resolution worth a damn?

Even NetBSD can do this. Why is OpenBSD shilled so hard on here when it doesn't even have simple functionality like upgrading a running system?

I don't think it works because there's no virtualbox driver. It uses the VESA driver, I believe.

>even my toaster can connect over an unecrypted network
>why does OpenBSD require internal SSL verifaction?
The absolute state of OS security.

i don't think it'll ever be possible on openbsd becuase of how it randomizes the kernel on every boot

Does FreeBSD have ASLR yet? As far as I'm concerned it's the only BSD that's even remotely close to being ready for desktop usage and last I checked it was lacking this basic security feature.

Give me 5 good reasons to use BSD.

>even LESS software and hardware support than Linux
>hey guise use this it’s really good xD

THE STATE OF FREETARDS

1). BSD License isn't Jeb "Please Clap" Bush tier
2). Figurehead is a no-bullshit getshitdone rat machine
3). Follows UNIX philosophy better
4). Works on more machines than Linux
5). Penguin < Devil/Blowfish/toaster

right. I have an old version of Mandrake running XF86 4.0 using the fbdev device in my x config . I know that using this device I can get decent resolutions out of this old ass distro, and I've tried doing the same with NetBSD and OpenBSD with zero success, but as far as I can tell it should work.

I have NetBSD 7.1 installing in the background as I type this so I'm going to give it a shot again.

>License
>implying BSD isn't Jeb tier

>Works on more machines
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>Works on more machines than Linux

yeah you're being disingenuous with that completely incorrect statement. it doesn't take much work to find out that linux has drivers and support for FAR more hardware configurations than all BSD flavors combined.

>GPL
>you can take some of my beer for your party
>but o-o-only if you t-t-tell other people a-about my party
>a-and you also have to g-g-give out f-free beer!!1!

>BSD
>yeah mate I'll spot you, it's no problem
>I've got some leftovers I can't do shit with, feel free to tell your mates they can come pick them up anytime

>Apache
>you can have these beers if you let me suck your cock

NetBSD.

keked

I still prefer the gpl for my own stuff tho

wtf I love BSD now

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Is it true FreeBSD is sponsored by CISCO to get free developers and beta testers?
Is it true OpenBSD has backdoors?
Is it true BSD license is sponsored by companies to suck dry developers of their work?

>Is it true FreeBSD is sponsored by CISCO to get free developers and beta testers?
Likely.
>Is it true OpenBSD has backdoors?
Unlikely.
>Is it true BSD license is sponsored by companies to suck dry developers of their work?
Certainly.

k thanks

I love how you decided to put this as some stupid little analogy, and not the serious issue of (((them))) attempting to enslave the world into the botnet, crushing society and molding it into the form they find best to start and eventually maintain the orwellian nightmare culture, with them as big brother.
Fuck you

>#baot

terrible rizon channel
terrible post
terrible OS

Feel free to buy me a coffee. (adfly.net/3adskj4)
I used to browse Sup Forums, contribute to abovetopsecret, believe in alternative medicine, make orgone, and believe in the Logos. I've now tapered my excitement, become a jaded fuck, and understand when it's just paranoia and not reality.

If you're speaking of letter agencies, they have good intentions, but are too zealous to see they're doing damage.

If you're speaking of corporations, they have bad intentions but are too stupid and greedy to properly enslave the world.

If you think the very people getting enslaved aren't the root cause of the gradual descent into a Brave New World, you still haven't unplugged.

Chill out. You have no control. What you see as conspiracy is just a fortunate circumstance of a bunch of selfish retards pursuing similar goals.

>Is it true BSD license is sponsored by companies to suck dry developers of their work?
well tbf that's not exactly how voluntary exchanges of goods and services work

>letter agencies
>good intentions
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
no.
Also, the corporations' intentions are the same as the agencies. they are one and the same.

REMEMBER SNOWDEN

DUDE

WEEED

LMAOAOAOAO