twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

.WMA

mp3

Storage/archive puropses -> FLAC
Everyday playing -> MP3

google.com/search?q=flac vs mp3&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Opus!

Different purposes.
Also see AAC-LC and Vorbis or AAC-He/v2 and Opus for replacements for mp3.

Audiophiles are faggots

Everyone is a faggot, faggot.

MP3 320 KBR is fine I like to go for FLACs when I can. MP3 V0 isn't good enough for most things.

>I download MP3s and I leave them as MP3s because that's what music goes in I guess
MP3

>I need to listen to quality music but want to save space
Vorbis (still better than MP3)
Opus (better than vorbis)

>Need ((quality)) but don't care much about disk space
16-bit FLAC L8 compression

>Need quality, but I seriously don't care about space (literally why)
Uncompressed, 16-bit, any format

>Need ((((((((((QUALITY))))))))))(tm) for my BEATS BY DRE(tm) and fuck disk space cause I waste money anyways $$$$$$$$$$
24-bit FLAC

>I'm an actual audio engineer, and I have a custom made DAC that records directly to a storage array (or I'm so autistic and arrogant that my audio needs to be blessed by the popes scrotum directly)
32-bit raw PCM @ 384KHz

/Thread

People who call faggots to the faggots, are faggots.

/thread
A better comparison would be ogg to mp3. This whole thread is comparing lossy to lossless, and conflating those specific formats with containers.

/Thread

Idk why we still have this argument

Ogg for quality mp3 for compatibility

They serve different purpose.

.midi
>Not storing all your music as midis

>Not converting command prompt to midi just to see what command prompt sounds like
Pleb

Your mums pussy

is this true?

>MP3 V0 isn't good enough for most things.

As if you could tell the difference lmao

obviously, he said he had a PhD

why would I bother with converting all that

I only download FLAC with 100% rip logs then convert them to V0 myself, I don't trust others

Midi is unclean, it sounds different on each machine and has this creepy "uncanny valley" of realistic instruments being tossed around horribly.
The true way to go is NSF.
It sounds truly clean, is sampled internally at 1.62Mhz (not Khz, Mhz thus beating even the best quality flac has to offer to a pulp), and a typical file is under 30KB and can have multiple songs (thus beating MP3 to a pulp as it is unable to deliver the same sound quality with a single song at that size, don't mind several).

wav

Not like any of you dumb kids have good enough audio gear to resolve the difference of a lossless flax. Sourcing quality masterings of your favourite albums and songs is far far more important than bit rate and bit depth.

I download/rip genuine FLAC albums and then convert them to MP3 V0. There are more fake MP3 rips out there (128kbps converted to 320kbps) than fake FLAC rips.

jpg is better

Whatever has the highest bitrate on piratebay

>flac
>literally nothing except windows pcs support it
>and only if you use sketchy software like winamp
>over 10 times larger
>lasts forever

>mp3
>supported by every device new or old
>small, can fit 20,000 songs on an SD card
>have to redownload each track every 3 years because of bitrot

24bit/48khz flac is my favourite format of all time for audio quality / size and also conveniently the max resolution supported by my iphone 6s

mp3 is an ancient dogshit codec and hate how 320 is still the default standard in 2017, flac is literally 50% bigger and bit perfect

literally all hardware from the past 10 years supports mp4/m4a/AAC and sounds better than mp3 at 128kbps ... it should be standard but its not.... grrr normies

opus is great, but its not supported in hardware which affects battery life and is not supported on alot of platforms full stop... ie iOS and no vlc is terrble for navigating a music library

also flac album art and some tagging isnt perfect which is why i suspect apple went and pushed ALAC which still pisses me off to this day.... also flac doesnt support 32 bit and higher smaple rates and channels

also all the super hi res rips i get, the community has seemed to have settled on wavepack .wv as the lossless distribution format of the future (pic related)

not a kid and own some posh gear and funnily i spot the difference on encodes much much easier with my iphone and iems than my proper gear because: room acoustics

ACC, or raw 192khz/32bit PCM if you're an fucking autist

Decoding mp3 has been hardware optimized. It performs extremely well with the comparatively low filesize.

so close yet so far away
>ACC
you mean AAC
> raw 192khz/32bit PCM
fuck no files are huuuuge and exactly where lossless compression is appropriate and required

but yeah in 2017 AAC for general internet listening, 16bit flac for CD era catalogue and 24bit .wv for serious listening and archiving rare rips... anything else... meh

most autistic format award goes to opus

alac
m4a/opus

>If you listen to 24 bit you are a stupid fag who buys Beats by Dr. Nigger
>But if you listen to 32 bit then you are a professional
You are a fag.

>>and only if you use sketchy software like winamp
>What is k-lite
Jesus, leave Sup Forums right now.

Unless you play 100 tracks at once, this will be extremely negligible.

.wav

What kind of idiotic post is this?

Android's supposed .flac since forever. Cheap music players from China has supported it for a decade - thought there's a few minor issues, Ruizu 02 will play any 44.1khz 16-bit flac file fine but doesn't play 48khz 24-bit flac's - only slightly more expensive players like Benjie T2 accept those too. GNU/Linux has had support for more than a decade. It's not just for Windoze.

I do agree on your point regarding mp3, it really is the best format for compatibility. That's less of an issue these days, though. I have a 2 GB Philips music player with no SD card slot that only takes MP3 and WAV and a very small cheapo music player with an SD card slot and no memory that only takes MP3. I don't use those much anymore, though.

Everything new seems to take Theora and AAC these days and most but not all Android's do Opus too.