I miss the days when the internet was decentralized and everything was more community driven...

I miss the days when the internet was decentralized and everything was more community driven. I want them back Sup Forums, imagine what we could do nowadays with all this wonderful technology we've gotten.

there's nothing stopping you from using it like you want to
you could argue that "everyone is on the big central platforms, though!". sure, all the people who don't care about what you care about, don't worry about them

Doesn't fit my narrative. I don't like it, why should they?

difficulty in understanding that different people hold differing views to your own is a sign of autism
you're not going to convince the average fuck to move from instabookttertrest to irc, and even if you did, they'd just shit it up with the same content that makes you dislike those services in the first place

I just fail to understeand why NOBODY seems to care anymore that if 1 or 2 companies decide to do something shitty, the fact that we're sort of stuck with them means we gotta eat that shit up.

I see people complaining about facebook all the time, everyday, and yet none of them will move out to other services likely because they too feel trapped there.

that's just the catch with popular, central systems
they hold a lot of power even with just inertia alone, nobody wants to move, because everyone is here. chicken/egg

We need user-friendly and professional looking alternatives that are decentralized and ideally free.

>inb4 do it yourself

Can't, have no coding skill or funds to pay for it.

>community driven
What does that even mean?

That aside look at what was done indeed, the smartest ones took the good ideas and made them hugely successful while improving all the tech from standards to codecs (HTML5 VP9 and Opus audio supports being the latest great sieg in my books, remember on "golden days" when all content was eiter Flash, wma or realmedia? soooo good /s) for the plebs.

there are decent alternatives to most things
such as OpenID for a profile that works in many places, or Matrix for a distributed, user-federated communication ("social media")

at least back when video on a webpage was an embedded system media player, they ran well and didn't use any more resources than playing it outside of a browser

I'm looking forward to IPFS.

>community driven
>What does that even mean?

Aside from the probably rose-tinted glasses idea that there used to a lot more direct communication between developers and the users, I miss the days when software wasn't treated as a service for anything other than bugs patching.

I hate how everything nowadays is reliant on servers provided by ONE group and if that group decides "fuck it, to hell with this" the client is now useless.
The one in particular I had in mind is Discord, most popular chat client right now apparently, but if the company behind it decides that it's now against the rules to upload X or Y type of content you're tough out of luck. Also their client is absolute garbage, but nobody is allowed to make third party clients, so if you don't like the absolute shit they made, tough tits.

>Matrix needs you! We are facing a funding crisis.

I think the real issue is one of culture, not infrastructure. A good example is that back in the day people would have a 'Files' part of their web site that often had things that were found on a thousand other sites but they still put up their own copies.

Of course this is easier done with jpeg wallpapers and text files than HD videos, but this is another issue. If people stuck with a 90's-early-00's aesthetic the need for complex systems of decentralization or single-point-of-failure giant corporations.

Good luck getting people to give these things up though.

the big companies are now the medians for our information.

Which isn't a problem by itself (Geocities was a big company as well) but only becomes so when people are reliant on it and can't just bounce off somewhere else at a moment's notice, or have your content re-hosted by someone else.

>he doesn't know about Urbit

Isn't Urbit essentially Plan 9 part 2?

The internet will continue to be shit until ipfs, SWARM, or some similar alternative finally replaces centralised HTTP.

>I think the real issue is one of culture, not infrastructure

It is, and I blame the current situation on the users more than anything, but I can't pretend like webpages aren't designed to drive people towards acting this way.

It was always bound to end up this way, when you think about how data is passed around the internet in the first place. How could these shadowy corporations that control domains, route data, decide what people see, etc. not have slowly take control.

I bet people back in the BBS days were warning about this from the very start.

Isn't that the one that gives you a human readable psuedonym rather than a hash code?

>but
The gatekeepers are the enemy. We are being played. Put the blame where it belongs. The primary fault is with the evil intent of the gatekeepers, not with the ignorant masses.

/biz/ is decentralized. Join us and get rich off crypto

When the "ignorant masses" continue to act smug and disregard this even after the concept has been brought up and explained, I cannot have any sympathy for them, most of them are not children. The usual reaction I get when talking about this subject range from "eh, sure, whatever..." to "lol loonix, get your nostalgia glasses off you cynical idiot'. And I don't go out of my way to try to be an asshole when doing so, so I like to think that's not the reason

This.

And it's particularly bad when you are paying for this shit.

It's also worth noting that there's in-browser DRM heading our way soon, so it's likely that any video posted to YouTube could, in time, not be playable anywhere else.

I totally agree with your observation. I believe you are weighting the blame too heavily on the normietards because of the constant contact you have with them. The reality is that the normietards are only enablers. The true evil lies with the powerful agents who act with volition to cause harm.

Regardless, you and I have the same experience - just a different outlook.

>created by a Nazi
The SJW new generation today will never like it.

What even is Urbit supposed to be? It's being hyped as "an operating function" and "how you'd do computing in a post-singularity world" but I've never seen an explanation that goes beyond facilitating outsourced computation (which the internet does tons of already).

Every time I try to understand Urbit I feel like a total brainlet.

>In browser DRM
ew.

Approved by the w3c no less.