Drive death thread

How long do your HDD or SSD last, before they fail completely? What were the warning signs, and the brand?

My HDD took about 6 years before it failed. The only warning signs were the clicking noises. Current one has lasted 3 years so far without faliing. Both are Western Digital.

Other urls found in this thread:

techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Never had one fail.

Besides a portable one I dropped on the ground, I never had a drive fail on me.

>newly purchased 8TB hard dies
>punch it with a hammer because I'm worried that the RMA guys can hax my data even though I used full disk encryption

Only had 2 SSDs fail on me so far
they worked for 2-3 years
Kingston
no signs

Still have working Maxtor 40GB HDDs though
Also a Samsung 750GB drive which screams BACKUP REPLACE but still works
be careful

they seem to last forever. the only drives that have failed are those that i dropped or hit with something.

My oldest HDD still in use is 20 years old.
I never lost a HDD or had one crash.

using 11 year old HDD as a main and 9 yo for storage, both still run fast and quietly

9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 045 045 000 Old_age Always - 24123
Error 3 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 10552 hours (439 days + 16 hours)
Error 2 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 9767 hours (406 days + 23 hours)
Error 1 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 9767 hours (406 days + 23 hours)

Still going strong.

Jesus fuck you better have some backups user..

how old are you, 12?

these drives will probably last forever

Not him (I'm ) but I only have about 40GB of files in total. I should probably set up some RAID array of 2.5" Laptop HDDs in my case rather than just copying across every now and then.

I have a big ass 300gb HDD from my first desktop that uses parallel ATA
I dont know how old it is but still works

most people with very old drives have very low poweron hours on them tho. i have seen drives with >10000 power cycle count but under 1000 hours power on time

Been using some cheap as fuck 4TB seagate drive for everything for nearly 6 years. No backups. Still going strong.

Thats the proper way to use a HDD then

So, more than 1 year
>Why is this accomplishment worthy?

7 years. SMART was absolute shit by year 6 but it kept going until I started to hear drive head crashing (Absolutely disgusting sound). I backed everything up with no problems. Haven't lost any of my data especially Sup Forums stuff since 2005.

You're correct. 1000 days is indeed over one year.

Same here. I still use two of the drives. A 500gb and a 750gb, both Samsung. They're from my first computer. I think bought it around 2005.

Get Samsung Pro drives.

Already heavy torture tests conducted and is guarantee to last many years.

Source:
techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

I received a Seagate drive but it's dead, it never could power on. I should send them back

mlc drives will probably outlive everyone in this thread

Not him but I am 28 and its the same for me. One of my harddrive that I've been using for 10 years is still running well enough to use it for storage of music. The only one that ever failed for me was a second generation iPod, but thats not really an HDD I suppose. Then again, Ive had hardly any of my hardware break throughout the course of my life. Well, outside of mice that is. Those break every 2-3 years.

Hard disks can fail anywhere from 0 years to infinity, they do not have a predictable failure rate. The older they get the more likely you'll have a failure but you can have really old drives that are running fine and brand new drives that fail in the first year. SMART readings do not really tell you much either but if you have SMART readings that show errors you should assume the drive is failing.

Raid is not a backup

I'm a poorfag so I might unironically use a cloud service for that til next year. I do remember buying a 128gb microSD for my PSP then realizing it was a chink pos 512mb with the firmware edited on it so I guess that counts.

Never had one die on me yet **knocks wood**. At least, not a sudden death kind of dying. At worst they get a few errors too many and I figure it's time to replace them. Current machine has 4 internal drives (2 seagate, 2 samsung) which are all older than 5 years. One even being over 10 (a seagate). None of which seem to have any real problems. Only a 2.5 inch 160GB one, whch I put in there because I had no other purpose for it, has one yellow mark in the SMART tool, that's it. I used to avoid WD because everyone I knew had one die on them the same way: sudden click of death. Now I have an external one that has lasted 8 years too already, also with just one yellow mark in the SMART tool.

Next machine (should arrive Wednesday) will have a RAID1 setup anyway though, because I don't like insecurity and drives are cheap now. With a bit of luck I'm getting a free dual drive NAS soon too, so that's another bit of extra security. I doubt it'll be necessary though.

600 gig Seagate from 2008
it's sata 2 :( but still works :)

dito , i have a 600gig seagate and never filled more than half

Had a WD hdd for 8 years, still works fine.

They are either doa, or lasts forever for me.

My Hitachi enterprise drives have been spinning since '06.

Should I be worried? None of my other drives show a percent.

Powerbook 170 (1991) - the 40 meg SCSI HD still boots the laptop.
The battery (NiCd) is dead, of course.

Yet to have one fail. Western digital is going 4 years strong. Toshiba going 5 years (I feel like thisll be the first to go). and an ssd from samsung that is been alive for about 2 years now.

I literally don't understand how hdd's fail, I had a pre-built from godforsaken 2004 and it still boots up to this day on just an hdd.

I have at least 4 10 year old HDD's, a Maxtor, WD, Toshiba and a Hitachi. One 5 year old SSD and a couple of new ones.
I only broke one old Maxtor by constantly torrenting on it. Everything else just works.

>The only warning signs were the clicking noises.
That's basically like saying "the only warning signs were pic related"

>especially Sup Forums stuff since 2005
Post some.

friends hard drive failed on him.
it would spin up and even connect to the computer.
then lose connection.
i took it home.
plugged it in my computer.
same thing.
just kept repeating it cause i had no idea how to fix it.
then after about the 5th time doing this, it just stopped connecting all together. (still kept spinning)
inspected it.
noticed the PCB connections were corroded.
"cleaned" it with some pencil eraser method that i found on the internet
didn't work.
gave it back to him.
he blamed me for breaking his already broken HDD.
he didn't have backups of the things he was working on (paid gig)
notmyproblem.jpg...should've made a backup.

Tried to externalize IDE drive from old build.
>neoprene connectors
>murphy's law
>doesn't start and get a whiff of smoke
>power connected upside down
Lost a lot of good music and a couple uncommon vidya.