/wt/

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtube.com/watch?v=cfVNqRgpY5A

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials 102: pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

sinn.de/en/Dual_Strap_System.htm
ebay.com/itm/Exellent-LUCH-ultra-slim-USSR-wristwatch-23-Jewels-Gilded-Mechanism-2209-SU/282696918857?
marathonwatch.com/product/search-rescue-medium-divers-automatic/
ussrtime.com/cgi-bin/show.pl?search=Yerevan
ebay.com/itm/USSR-Soviet-14K-585-rose-gold-Nairi-Women-Wristwatch-watch-rare-vintage-antique/222137441856?
meshok.net/item/27647199_Наручные_часы_Наири_с_браслетом_583_585_пр_1966_г
olx.ua/obyavlenie/srochno-zolotiy-godinnik-erevan-IDs5VJA.html
wornandwound.com/chronography-4-lemania-5100/
endclothing.com/us/a-bathing-ape-colour-camo-type-1-bapex-watch-1d70182028-ny.html?ranMID=41198&ranEAID=t*64622QPuc&utm_source=affiliate&utm_campaign=linkshare&utm_medium=Highsnobiety.com&ranSiteID=t.64622QPuc-yyX0O4fvo3ZgmvuwsFd9nw
machinedesign.com/news/plastic-gears-outlast-metal
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Show me your shittiest watch right NOW.

sold it off for some gas money last month

Atomic solar watches are more reliable and keep better time than the most sophisticated movement

the watch is ok the strap is dogshit

A Casio F91 I'm too lazy to take a picture of.

Why is it called Niger?

beats me?

oh boy all those plastic parts

real high quality seiko* engineering there.

Did me well for 7 years and a couple afghan deployments. Finally retired it as my primary watch this year.

Speaking of plastic parts, why did the Japs use plastic in their date and day mechanisms? Was there a reason for this? Were they the first? Pic related, citizen movement I took apart last night with plastic day parts.

Because they are asian Jews.

at what point is something too cheap? What is the point of even making a mechanical movement at that price?

It's so if someone tries to change the date while the gear is engaged it snaps on purpose instead of straining other parts and fucking things up.

lmao no
they are just cheap as fuck

this citizen and miyota do this but the dg movements seagull movements and even vostok movements that cost 30 dollars have no plastic parts.

thank god Sinn has finally solved this problem.

I think that would be my HMT janata which cost me 5 dollars.
It stopped working after a year and it needed to be serviced, that costed me 18 dollars.

New strap thoughts?

Jesus

sinn.de/en/Dual_Strap_System.htm

Is this an april joke? Why would you want to do that?

i liek the perloon

I want to see some soviet watches right now /wt/
Post your soviet timepieces and discuss!

I have $150 saved up just for a watch

I know its not much but what are the best mechanical options for the price?

Probably something from Orient

Seiko 5.
Vostoks.
Orients.

There's a Poljot Deluxe for sale at a local auction site that I suspect might go under €50.
It says 'never worn' and doesn't show any tracés of usage, and is dated at 1970
I really like the model but never bought an auction watch before, the site had a good reputatie though. Should I bid or are they often broken/faulty?

Show a pic

>38mm, fucking perfect for an office environment
>date window and 3 timezones, perfect for my job which requires knowing the time in 3 places at all times
>ETA 2893-2 guts, that's okay. Makes it easily serviceable

>2,100+ new

Fucking scheisse. You fucking Nazi JEWS.

Why is it so expensive?

What are some small diver watches with a lug to lug size of 42mm or less?
The seiko SKX013 is 37mm in diameter, but has a lug to lug distance of 44 mm, so does the Citizen ny2300 and the Vostok amphibian 420 is 39mm diameter and 46mm lug to lug.
I found out about the Vostok 470 with 39mm diameter and 42mm lug to lug, but it looks like no one sells it, not even ebay.

Marathon search and rescue medium

>fucking perfect
>why is it so expensive?

ebay.com/itm/Exellent-LUCH-ultra-slim-USSR-wristwatch-23-Jewels-Gilded-Mechanism-2209-SU/282696918857?

I want to pull the trigger on this luch 2209.
Should I do it? Looks to be in a nice condition and the price isn't that bad.

Just copped thanks for the link

Fuck you guys.
Was gonna get that tomorrow

Are you jackin' with me user?
Don't jack with me

Still up friend.

Can I get some answers to my questions?

What do you mean? It's a great little watch.

No, don't do it.

Why shouldn't I?

Perfect is relative. Some people think the Casio F91 is perfect for them.

I'm asking why Sinn has the balls to charge near $2500 for a basic ETA movement. That watch shouldn't cost over $1k.

Cause I was gonna get it tomorrow, cream dip.

Only 2€ chinese quartz watches are good. Anything more expensive communicates homosexuality.

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong Marathon watch, one that was 46mm diameter.
Anyway thanks for the suggestion, at least now I have one that's on sale. Any other suggestion but with mechanical movement?

As a seasoned horologist, my favorite subject thus far has been OP's mom

XDDDD

Forgot to say I'm opened to vintage ones.

nice poljot homage

I honestly wouldn't user, I've found Ukrainian eBay sellers to sell "barely used" watches that turn out to be shit on arrival. This looks like the same thing, for antiques it's better to buy in person.

Does it maintain accuracy in terms of +/- days or hours ?

What watch do you travel with wt?

How can decadent capitalists or slanty eyed orientals ever compete?

Months
it is a soviet bear hibernation alarm 1-2 day accuracy over a twelve month period. Very good for bear.

For leisure usually a diver, but if I'm going to a conference then something dressier. If I bring multiple I usually wear a beater for the flight itself.

can somebody help me identify and find a price for this soviet gold watch from the 1964s

It's a Epeвaн but I can't find anything on the net about it

Plastic wears less than metal. Fact.

I have no idea that case looks a lot like some 60's luch cases it may have been made in the same factory.

ok i don't know where you heard that but it simply incorrect. Plastic wears much faster than metal in the same application. This is why the parts of that watch coming in constant contact with one another or parts under load are all made of metal you absolute fucking brainlet.

Look harder then. They're all over ebay.

Parts of the watch that come together the most often under the highest load are made of jewels I think. Isn't that the pallet fork?

Where are you going daddy?

Plastic has less friction, is self-lubricating, shock-absorbing, non-corrosive, etc.

Go back to high school science.

no lol the jewels are bearings. The pallet jewels sort of act in this capacity as well. They are low friction stops mean to reduce inefficiency through friction losses. The gears are the parts that are coming together.

It is mechanical
marathonwatch.com/product/search-rescue-medium-divers-automatic/

I think I would consider pallet jewels slamming against a gear coming together, but I see your point. user was retarded or trolling or both with the plastic comment.

Erevan refers to Yerevan, the capital city of the Armenian SSR, current Armenia.

What I could find out is that it's likely a Yerevan Nairi. The movement was built by 1MChZ in Moscow (Poljot), likely a 2409, with the case being manufactured in the Yerevan watch factory, and assembled there.

Apparently these are 14k solid gold cases, so it must be rare.

ussrtime.com/cgi-bin/show.pl?search=Yerevan

some plastics are self lubricating. They are shock absorbing and typically non corrosive but they certainly wear far faster than metal you fucking idiot.

oh well I'll probably need to look a lot harder
I searched various russian forums (my russian is a bit rusty) and I couldn't find shit about it
I think the name on the watch Epeвaн is not actually the brand.

damn

ebay.com/itm/USSR-Soviet-14K-585-rose-gold-Nairi-Women-Wristwatch-watch-rare-vintage-antique/222137441856?

>they certainly wear far faster
>source: my ass

best £200 watch that has a timer of some sort (dial, chronograph, digital) on amazon UK?

this guy found it for you
this is a link to a solid gold female watch case made in the same place probably

are you retarded? Plastics are fucking abrasive the highest performance plastic you can reasonably buy(peek) has slightly better no load wear characteristics than non-lubricated steel.

>source: my ass again

I found a similar looking watch going for 2k+ $ in an auction here

meshok.net/item/27647199_Наручные_часы_Наири_с_браслетом_583_585_пр_1966_г

the starting bid is for around 2k$ but it also had the wrist band.

>Apparently these are 14k solid gold cases, so it must be rare.

I need a price in the "rare"

>the ukranians are selling these for 300$

well, apparently this watch is trash

olx.ua/obyavlenie/srochno-zolotiy-godinnik-erevan-IDs5VJA.html

this is autism right here. Look up the lemania 5100 retard. Some plastics are trash but they can be far better than metal in usecases where this is constant contact.

What does that have to do with plastic wear? it makes no sense at all.

where is your source?

"Because this is a movement that’s all about function and not bragging rights, think about other materials you can use for parts. Do you have to use metal for everything? How about plastic? Delrin, specifically. It’ll cope with temperatures that kill other materials, it’s rigid but still absorbs shocks, barely fatigues over time and has a natural lubricity. It also gives the haute horlogerie mob kittens."

wornandwound.com/chronography-4-lemania-5100/

I want to buy this. endclothing.com/us/a-bathing-ape-colour-camo-type-1-bapex-watch-1d70182028-ny.html?ranMID=41198&ranEAID=t*64622QPuc&utm_source=affiliate&utm_campaign=linkshare&utm_medium=Highsnobiety.com&ranSiteID=t.64622QPuc-yyX0O4fvo3ZgmvuwsFd9nw

Is it good?

If you want to waste your money, go for it. Fashion brands are horrible in terms of quality.

You did not address wear characteristics of the material as compared to lubricated metal. I never said anything about not using it in certain parts of watch movements i responded to an idiot talking about how it "wears" less than metal.

Nice ro- oh.

My 6r15 SKX on a bracelet.

Looking for a nice dress watch.
Was thinking about this Seiko

>go to school for 4 years for engineering
>work for an mse lab for 3 years

have to try to defend physical reality to uneducated Seiko males

the absolute fucking state of this place

You still didn't address it. You can't just claim credentials and think that makes you right.

Post diploma pic. (name edited out of course)

machinedesign.com/news/plastic-gears-outlast-metal
also there are dozens of studies testing Delrin,nylon-6, nylon-12, and other complex crystline plastics vs standard metals ones. The only times Plastic fails vs metal is when the temperature begins to go above 360 K.

>machinedesign.com/news/plastic-gears-outlast-metal
LOW LOAD YOU FUCKING BRAINLET LOW LOAD HIGH SPEED.

>low load
Do you even know what that means?

>plastic has been proven to last longer and wear less than metal
>NOOOO REEE PROVE IT.
Whew lad.

Older seiko models that the canadian seiko man knows about have plastic date wheels which crack over time in a certain model. The plastic here is enough of a drawback to not buy the vintage watch. I have yet to hear of this happening with a fully metal contraption

holy fuck did you even read the stupid fucking link you sent me? they replaced small metal gears that was wearing because grease was trapping particles and they were not sealed. They had a super expensive wide toothed plastic gear set engineered and optimized for the application so they would not need to use lubricants. The gears spin very quickly and rotate a pinion "Grippers mounted to the pinion shaft open and close as the pinion oscillates, transferring cards from a stack to a conveyor belt for insertion in magazines.?" And this article to you is evidence that plastic wears less than metal? Are you literally retarded or are you just pretending?

Im just googling around and it seems that plastics have worse wear unless you lubricate them which then there is next to no difference between steel and plastic. Seems that the shape of the gear has a larger effect on a plastic gears wear than any other aspect. Plastic on steel seems to be better than plastic on plastic as well.
Also plastics seem to have had a large wear break through in the past 30 years so older movements with plastic could be shit.