Who here /GameDev/ ?

And what libraries/SDK/game-engine/tool chain do you use to make your cute irrelevant little indie games?

Unless you work with a studio

if you don't use love2d you aren't an indie dev. gamemaker fags get out

If I'm going to actually waste my time learning how to develop anything, it damn sure isn't going to be something like a videogame. It better be useful.

game maker doesn't count as srs gamedev. More like a toy. I've been trying to get into SDL but C++ and Make are hard as hole and I end up making frameworks instead of working on the meat of my game.

at this time playing video gaymes can be considered more useful than making them. if you want to create something create useful software. not shitty little games no one will ever play.

What do you suggest learning what to develop? Retarded Open-source linoox driver blobs and getting no penny for it? At least games sell if they're good.

OP here, give me an example of useful software a hobbyist-beginner should try and delve into deving

>if they're good

Yeah, good luck with that, with how flooded the market is only games that have been developed for 3+ years are what people give a shit about. Coupled with fucking kickstarters, and some of them even made on the engines that the usual crowd hates so much.

Then what "useful" kinds software do you suggest I dev then, give me a list, I really would appreciate it

why not instead of searching for a program do that program yourself

What's it like to work for a studio?
I don't play video games and never have, but for some reason developing games sounds interesting, and I'm good at C++.

Anything. Make a good graphical frontend for any type of software that doesn't have one, and there's quite a few. Make an open source music player to rival Foobar since people bitch about it. Just look around this board and see complaints about current software.

If you're not that ambitious, I don't picture your game project to sell that well either.

Great Idea

BUT

The thing is, I don't where to start with all these projects.
>playing music
>encoding inputstream of a format into a format each different platform can play
>Endlessly google for days and tfw no even how to begin

I've googled all sorts of stuff for different kinds of projects and have no idea where the fuck to begin (let alone take off after I begun( with most of these useful software. Especialy since they seem kinda low level. And the ones I've peeked into the source of seem far out of my league. Gee I wish I could contribute to open-source but have no fucking glue where to start. I look at github and I just huge assloads of source files and have no clue what-where-who what to begin even.

With games however, I just download a random SDL and go. I wish I could fuck off gamedev and do dev something useful but have no clue how to start even where who how why

SDL is insanely outdated and awful to use

Then what do you use? For games or general graphics dev

If you're too retarded to find where to go about this on this site then you're too stupid for any intellectual work really.

writing own engine with C using SDL2, opengl es2, nuklear gui, planning to use newton dynamics as graphic engine.
If I had to write actual game I would go with Jmonkeyengine. You can use it with any language that compiles to java bytecode, also pretty easy to use.

>newton dynamics as graphic engine.
as physics engine*

I use C SDL OpenGL4

>OpenGL4
NOT PORTABLE

What do you mean? To what platforms is it not portable to that you think should? I can always fill my shaders with ifdefs so I can go lower, but I don't see the point.