IRC

I've never used IRC and kinda struggling to find a reason to start using it.
What do you use it for? Which channels are you connected. etc?

MOMMMMMMMYY

I use it for programming support, Linux channels, and the sysadmin channel. It's pretty chill just don't be autistic.

>'ve never used IRC and kinda struggling to find a reason to start using it.
It's just chatrooms op.
>What do you use it for?
Chatting.

I've heard that you can exchange files through it. So, can it be used as an alternative to torrenting?

Literal chatrooms with people who use nicknames and nothing attached to their personal identity.

I haven't used it in a while, but I spent many years, last decade, sperging out on different channels. Not anymore, it's hard to find any channels worth visiting and even though I visit these boards I'm not tech savvy enough to provide anything.

That's a bad idea.
Go look at how torrenting works.

i join 15 rooms everyday and just sit in them and say nothing, like everyone else

This is the best reason to use IRC, followed by for pirating chinese cartoons--most major fansub groups have IRC bots that serve files to you--but it's really not much better than torrenting apart from *possibly* being less likely to be flagged by your ISP if you give a shit.

However,
>It's pretty chill just don't be autistic
is definitely not true on some channels. See #C and #java on freenode for examples of non-chill massively autistic channels.

This.
Also this behavior starts to manifest itself on discord servers.
I dont know what is wrong with people.

You seem like the type who migrated to irc after your aol account got suspended.

escape botnets
chat safely on the freenet

I use it to chat with nerds about life

talking about memes with #homescreen on rizon

Used to do that until indians would slide into my dms.

IRC is the last bastion of the old net. When the only people on the wired were a bunch of fucking nerds.

I'll be an old grampa in the 2070's and I'll still be on irc.

>I use it to chat with nerds about life

god fucking damned normies gonna ruining everything, literally go fuck yourself nobody cares about your shit life anyways

what's the difference between freenet and tor onion service?

Yep those are nips

I download ebooks from IRC.

On irc silence started with people just using bots to serve files. Certain channels would be filled bots, and you just request files from them, so no chatting. I haven't used it in a while, but irc (and newsgroups) that don't exist anymore used to be my go to for anything I wanted.

>start
You are at least 10 years too late. Majority of users using irc by inertion.

I've been using it for about 20 years, mostly just because I started using it back when I was a teenager since AOL was the only real alternative for real time chatting with other people and I was not about to pay to use their shitty service and be limited only to talking to people in North America when IRC is free and worldwide.

It's pretty much just a habit now. I'm on a bunch of channels on freenode like ##slackware, #android-root, and #archlinux-offtopic. On rizoff, I'm on #rice, #Sup Forumstech, #/csg/, and #/x/philes

>10
Make it 16-17

>go into IRC channel
>everyone just sitting around not saying anything
>say hi
>discussion starts
Why

why the hell not

Isn't that a good thing?

/server irc.rizon.net
/join #baot

What is that channel

It's autistically shilled on here constantly, so it's probably trash.

They were waiting for you.
The irc was made specifically for you... DRRDRRDRRDRRRRRDRRR

Coincidentally, every time there's a group chat and I say something to contribute to the discussion, everyone shuts up as if it was over. On imageboards, I'm usually the last one to comment before the thread gets archived. In real life conversations, someone replies with "haha" and extremely long awkward silence ensues. Why does the world hate me so much?

haha

Oh man I spent way too much time on IRC back in the early 2000s.

Was part of an anime fxp group and started out by scanning pubs for them. Every weekend I would spend all day online scanning open pubs and tagging them and handing vulnerable ones over to the hax0rs. Later on I became a courier and started trading on some lower ranked topsites. That shit was scressfull brah never broke into the higher ranked sites.

I still used IRC up until 2-3 years ago to download tv shows and shit but eventually I just bought a VPN and now I torrent all my shit. I have become a filthy p2pfaggot... we used to make fun of these people.

Linux support is on irc

Learn2Bait

underrated

I think its BSD general

h-hhhnng?

It is, they shitpost their IRC like they do with their general. Nothing of value there.