Previous thread: >>63127254 →

Previous thread: →

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Check libreboot.org for details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely avaiable, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0

T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet

P-series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

Official /tpg/ Pisscord Server:
discord.gg/cWZ8MgZ

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/401422563580
dropbox.com/s/lyfozdfnsn112zm/tpmiddle-0.6.exe?dl=0
forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-10/FIXED-Middle-Click-Functionality-Disabled-on-Windows-10-upgrade/td-p/2131854
ebay.de/usr/lykit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So I got this bad boy from aliexpress. Not bad at all but I think the soft dome is more my thing after all.

>Recommended IBM models:
>X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

What would you recommand 860, Transnote and PC110 for?
This isn't like how T60 has only a c2d but is fine for regular usage. 860 has max 100 mb ram and 2gb hard drive. PC110 has 2mb ram Is this just a meme or something?

what do i do with 5 T400's? i got them from my old high school mainly for practicing tear downs and shit but i didn't expect to get 5. Some work and some don't work according to the IT director.

also can i swap the T400 keyboard and put it on a T530?

Why would you want to?

because i would do a keyboard replacement so I don't have to use my T530 keyboard on my T530

>x230, IPS, 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM
>140€
yay or nay?

it's ips so that sounds like a not bad deal as it is

where should i get a screen ugprade for my t420

give one to me, i only need the mobo working

How does the T60 hold up these days. What emulators can you run? What's the max CPU/gpu can you upgrade too? What's the most recent/demanding game can it run?

as long as you intend on swapping the keyboard out, sure

i mean i'll be getting them wednesdayso if one is broke and mobo werks then sure? but is it possible to use a T400 keyboard on a T530?

no idea

lost the auction, gonna have to find out how to setup autobid

I recently just ditched my T60 for a T410. It was just getting to the point where it was useless for most tasks that I wanted it to perform. Wouldn't even run 720p Youtube videos properly. With the integrated graphics, you aren't running anything more recent than UT3, Age of Empires 3 or something along those lines.

I'm thinking of going for the t420. How's dolphin/pcsx2?

>Wouldn't even run 720p Youtube videos properly
Really? My X61t with a low voltage core 2 duo plays 1080p fine, it hemorrhages frames if it's 1080p60 though.

Are there any cool 3rd party trackpoint covers?

interesting, i dont think i've tried a 1080p youtube video on mine.

i was tempted by a T4XX with win7 on to play STALKER on as it runs like dogshit on my win10 machine.

Are 15" models too big/heavy to carry around all day?

no, I use a T530 and take it with me everywhere.

I ordered a T420 where can I find accessories for those? It's my first thinkpad ever

Wouldn't know since I don't have a T420 or Dolphin.

There were a lot of times when the video would hang and just do nothing. Was shitty.

also what kind of are availabe

ebay.com/itm/401422563580

is this a good deal?

>xx30 keyboard
You warned me but I didn't believe you. WHY DIDN'T I BELIEVE YOU?!

>ebay.com/itm/401422563580
far from the worst you could do, just factor in the cost of trackpad replacement.

do the swap

I really should, but my laptop came with a defective keyboard and I paid 50€ for a new one.
I am beyond saving. I have failed you.

What is so bad about these keyboards that one needs to go out of ones way just to avoid it? Is it that Apple ruined chicklet keyboards somehow?

it's a chicklet keyboard. That's pretty much the only reason, the others also just feel better to begin with.

thismore importantly they ruined the perfect delete/home/end/pg up/pg down key grouping

Would you buy a laptop on ebay that had Linux on it? I want to sell one of my newer thinkpads but I don't feel like going through the arduous process of putting Windows on it.

I don't mind chiclet, but the older keyboards have much lighter actuation points and maybe more travel. I can type faster on them in general.

Reposting from last thread, my x230 trackpoint keeps freezing up at random, often when I scroll, I updated the drivers and restarted but no luck.

normies don't buy thinkpads in the first place.

just wipe the harddrive then

I honestly was doing everything I could to avoid the chiclet style keyboards, until eventually I went to work in an office that issued me a T560. It was... different, but not bad by any means. Still prefer the older style of keyboard on my W520, but I'm not going to cry over its demise. Especially when the Thinkpad 25 costs $2,500 in Canada.

I need your help guys.
I don't know which thinkpad to take between
x220 for 190$
t510 for 200
t420s for 250
t430 for 240
x230 for 240
It would be for college in computer science and bit of browsing and casual gaming like rogue game.

if x230 is with IPS panel then that

x220 for good keyboard and lowest price, though it is way too expensive.
You could even get away with an x201 performance wise.

Trying to buy a Thinkpad in Sweden is a nightmare. Everybody is a nigger selling overpriced stolen shit with locked BIOS.

What is the best resource for purschasing Thinkpads online in Europe? Should I wait until I visit USA next year?

>in Europe
ebay and amazon, just use .de or the uk version

>tfw yet again trying to order an IPS screen kit from China

They keep running out of stock.

Please use the /tpg/ subject header so I can properly filter your shitty ``subreddit'', asshole.

those are all bad prices

also leave out the T510 and T420s, not worth considering

WQHD kits coming to the T420/T430 FINALLY.

hi, /tpg/. I dusted off my T430 and installed Win 10. Now the middle button doesn't close tabs anymore and is replaced by scrolling.

There's no option in the UltraNav to enable it.

I have the latest drivers btw.

They actually don't have more travel but the actuation might be higher.

good thing fucking up the title again, retard

So where is libreboot for x220?

I'd also like to know. In any case, what benefits are there to installing coreboot onto x220 instead of waiting for libreboot.

should i get an x201 for 150 cad (115 usd) or keep looking for an x220, which usually seem to be around 200 cad (155 usd) or more. for linux, inkscape, and otherwise regular browsing, would there be a big difference?

Thinkpads are terrible value these days.

This thread should move to /fa/ rather than Sup Forums desu.

would you mind putting it into more detail? I know the layout different but what about the feel?

X230 for the igpu and compactness
swap the keyboard later

less keyboard flex on the *30 series

install tpmiddle
v0.6 works fine for me
dropbox.com/s/lyfozdfnsn112zm/tpmiddle-0.6.exe?dl=0

do this
forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-10/FIXED-Middle-Click-Functionality-Disabled-on-Windows-10-upgrade/td-p/2131854

How often should I clean my TP? I mean coolers n' sheeit

that just makes it into a middle click

when it gets too hot

isnt that good though

yes, isn't that what you wanted?

not that guy
I suggested tpmiddle so it cant both scroll and middle click

I could never get tpmiddle working.

What is good value? I thought I got a pretty good deal on mine desu.

scored a T430s on craigslist for $30, guy priced it so low because he was a bro that didn't give a shit and decided to pass the savings down. came without RAM, HDD, charger but i had everything anyway. it's also backlit. was gonna get a classic style keyboard but i actually enjoy the backlit part of this one and it feels honestly pretty great as is. think if i do anything, it'll be to max out the display with whatever panel i can find that's OP. feels good 2 be back on a proper laptop

Just got a t420 last week. I was thinking of putting Xubuntu on it (never GNU/Linux'd before), but I'm concerned about Ubuntu botnet. Any other lightweight distro with pre-built DE you recommend on a 'pad?

>inb4 install gentoo
>inb4 intel "backdoor corporate whore" processor

>tfw new old ThinkPad

which version?
I linked v0.6
works just fine for me

So my w520 arrived.
Ctrl not being on the bottom left of the keyboard is fucking annoying, but I guess muscle memory will adjust over time.
Seller said it had an SSD, it has a 3 year old HDD.
Laptop is in great condition anyway, pretty happy with it other than the lack of SSD.
Also, battery life is weird. Went from 100% to 60% in the same time it's gone from 60% to 51%.

can't you swap ctrl and fn in bios?

please put the /tpg/ back in the subject title so I can search for these easily in the catalog kthnx

is a " HD+ 1600x900 LED Display" much worse than some IPS Display?

don't know anything about this stuff.

I have an x230, recently got an msata ssd for it but I still have preinstalled wangblows 10 on the hdd. What good older games can I play on it? I played AoEII recently, pretty sure it can handle AoEIII no problem as well. However I got a new mouse so I've been thinking of a fps or something. Can I run STALKER on it? Been wanting to play it.

My x200 wont stay powered on without charger and has orange blinking light. This might be little stupid question but is it time to buy new battery or is there something I could do? The battery is old and lasted about two hours after charging. My x200 is also librebooted.

Danke.

goddamn what wifi card should I get for a hackintosh? I want it to just werk but I also want it to support handoff. I don't think the two go together.

>IPS

Enjoy that burn-in

I've gotten used to it on my x230t but dammit LG. Why can't you test your screens?

it's either shitty TN or burn-in IPS so wew

Is it possible to install a decent keyboard into an x230t? Which keyboard would I use?

Welp, I bought the ar9280 for $6, hope I didn't make a mistake. It's not a dell-branded one, does it matter?

Guys the music up and down display is stuck on my screen and it won't go away. I turned down the volume 30 minutes ago, what do I do?
I have a t420 btw.

turn it off and then turn it back on again

I don't want wanna do that thougggghh Im watching a comfy doc

sry but that is not possible sir
my name is rajesh would you take a minute to rate my service

just got this beauty from ebay for ~160€

Can you put a higher res display in t430s?

what's the cheapest laptop with a 1080p ips screen and linux support? i don't mind having to mod the panel if that ends up being cheaper

is it at least refurbished?

That's nice, i've been eyeing some x220 listings on EU eBay but haven't bit the bullet yet. How was your experience? Could you recommend me the seller?

yes it is.
seller was "lykit" from germany:
ebay.de/usr/lykit

do you buy replacement keyboards for things you buy off of ebay?
I dont think I could type on a keyboard someone used for years

Then this is a great deal congrats

planning on buying an x230 today for a little bit over 200 euros as my first thinkpad

then i will replace the keyboard with a japanese x220 keyboard to play videogames with my waifu. what do you think friends?

Does anyone have an unofficial 8 cell battery for their X60/s that will still fit the docking station? I read somewhere that some of them won't.

The new keyboard is fine if you don't mind the layout. Typing itself it's pretty good. Leagues ahead of any other chiclet shit.