/dap/ - Formerly /pmp/

Our infrequent threads continue.

DAP guide: spit.mixtape.moe/view/77ad7d0f
Note on output impedance (OI): Since portable players are often used with low-impedance headphones, it's important that the OI of the player is low, ideally

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nf69M7w4z-odZXuh89VnTpkpjapOXt-4nFZ5YkGFIYs
rockbox.org/wiki/pub/Main/IngenicJz47xx/JZ4760B_an01_vs4760.pdf
forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2-xl/how-to/pixel-usb-c-audio-measurements-t3691535
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OI database: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nf69M7w4z-odZXuh89VnTpkpjapOXt-4nFZ5YkGFIYs

bump.

You soyboys with your low testosterone junk players.

Get on my level.

AK70 comfiest DAP ever

As for the FPGA mentioned, you can see it here in the FiiO X3 II. It's the SA2000 chip

However, the xDuoo X3, a very similar design, is missing it.

Do someone really think, that it's expensive for "quality japan sound"? Just look at this chinese shit.

What's the best large microSD for my Clip Zip? Should I even bother invesitng in one, already got a 64GB.

Is the xduoo still the hot meme or did the chinamen come up with something better?

I'm still using the Sony A-15.
No complaints.

Why would I want a wormslut DAP?

tfw have Fiio X5 III
sounds great
software sucks
can't resume songs because the chipset unpowers SD cards second it gets the chance

how did fiio fuck up such a nice product? THe software is holding it back

Recommend me an amp/dac for my iPhone 8.

LG V30.

I always browse Sup Forums looking for these threads. It's too bad they have a lack of interest.
You'd think Sup Forums of all people would hate using their phones for music.

What is the best player for video around at the moment? I was planning on picking up a cowon x9 until I heard it was missing h264 codecs.

I know! Any autist worth his dick cheese knows it
a.) is a waste of space to store music on your phone and
b.) will drain the battery of your phone. By dedicating one device to music and another to phone shit, you extend the life and thus the utility of each device.

I dont leave my house often, why would anyone here even need portability?

¿ipod?

based

fiio m3

Bonus points for micro SD.

I wish I could afford this thing, I love that Y2K-aesthetic.

Why should I use a DAP?
I used to own a FiiO-E07k. That shit was $100.
Years later, I got my first smartphone, a Lumia 950XL, and it blew the FiiO-E07k out of the water. This particular model of phone supports microSD cards, so I jammed a 200GB microSD card in there and filled it up with FLAC.

If my, or any, $600-800 phone that I will always have with me, is significantly better than a $100 dedicated portable DAC or DAP, why should I ever choose either one?

That'd be super cool if it wasn't worst girl possible.

>SA2000
>FPGA

It's just a branded Ingenic JZ4760B processor.

rockbox.org/wiki/pub/Main/IngenicJz47xx/JZ4760B_an01_vs4760.pdf

a phone

Nah lad jz4760 packaging is different.
Also it's seen WITH the jz, if the sa2000 is actually the jz then there would be 2 of them.

wow I never thought of it that way

>it's important that the OI of the player is low

Unless it's some stupid audiophile circuit the output impedance will be close enough to zero not to matter through the miracle of feedback.

a) it is a waste of space to store music on your phone because you keep buying phones that don't have SD card slots
b) if you did not carry a separate music player with your phone, you could have carried a battery that could charge your phone three times over

a.) why the hell would i want to keep track of sd cards and have to swap shit
Also I buy smartphones from tracphone, which saves me hundreds of dollars anually, so my choice is limited for smartphones. also fuck smartphones they're nothing but surveillance devices anyway. Messaging is cool I guess. But I don't feel the need to consume trash media while i'm on the way from one internet-connected computer to another.
b.) yeah, and then you're carrying a heavy ass battery anyway. Plus, when you're charging and listening to music, the battery would have to be out and connected which is cumbersome.

I have a ruizu
it sucks and cant get recognized and modified properly by a desktop

>and have to swap shit
You don't. You can't reasonably listen to over 200GB of music regardless of whether that music is in FLAC or in Ogg Vorbis.
>from tracphone, which saves me hundreds of dollars annually
So what you're telling me is that you're getting scammed into contracts, buying new phones every year, and you're so niche that your situation applies to absolutely nobody but you.

>and then you're carrying a heavy ass battery anyway
What are you, a 50 pound girl? You have no business being out and about if you can't handle carrying a portable battery, which tend to be the same size as high end DAPs.
They make right angle charging cables, you know.

>You can't reasonably listen to over 200GB of music regardless of whether that music is in FLAC or in Ogg Vorbis.
That is blatantly false.

Give it a try user, I dare you.
Apparently between now and 2015 they released a 400GB MicroSD card, so let's go with that instead.

For reference, The Touhou Lossy Music Collection v18, encoded in v0, consists of something in the area of 7 weeks straight worth of music. It's 300GB.

Finally these are back. I was using a Sony NWZ-A17 for a while but I fell asleep in class so I guess the front and back part of the case popped apart a bit so I haven't really been using it. I got a Plenue D after that but I've only had it for around a week but I like it so far

They've made lots of anime related equipment, too bad it's way too expensive. I think sony's made some walkman with vocaloid and persona 5 characters on them though

>When you aren't on this level

Gross

ipod classic OI is 5ohm.
Some phones have >10ohm OI.
Some laptops have very high OI, like that lenovo with 70ohm.
It's actually the memediophile ones that actually bother to get it right, most are

>High end DAPs
While some are quite large, most are still smaller than a 10Ah bank.

Listening to 200GB of flac is definitely doable. The size difference between v0 and flac is massive. The lossless version of the Touhou Collection comes in at a whopping 1.35TB.

>sansa clip is dead
>its price is way higher now
>go to sticky
>even low end was $150
What's the new sansa for the price range to take microsd

How does stuff like the Walnut V2 and Zishan work?

Is it meant to be paired with something/ not for casual use with large libraries:

I cant even imagine how youd navigate through tons of artists and albums to find songs

is it just not meant for that kind of use then

You can use it however you want. It's just really inconvenient.

The impedance of all iPod products is 32 ohms.

explain pls. From top to bottom.

Some retard linked a bunch of portable amps together. It probably fucked up the sound.

No they are different between models.
Go read the OI database. Classic is ~5, touch G3 is 7, ...
32ohm would decimate the bass on most earphones.

It's fucking tiny but
>DAP
>amp x6
>headphones

My AK120 II is getting long in the tooth. Maybe I should replace it with something newer soon.

AK is overpriced so you might want to look at another brand

I was going to find a source for that pic to identify the components but I can't find it.
All I can tell is the DAP looks like a AK player (AK3xx maybe), the headphone is Focal Utopia
The last 2 amps even look like DIY stuff

just get an iPod classic. I recently got one for £80 the audio quality is far superior to my op2

Why not just get 2 phones? You'd avoid the terrible software that comes with most DAPs.

>Galaxy note 4
>OI: 1.3
well that was a pleasant surprise.

Anyone who doesn't know already, the LG V series of phones have DAC's in them. Works nicely. But then again, I use Skullcandy crushers as my main headphones, so what the fuck do I know?

Why chain amps?

The trick is buying a lightly used second hand unit whenever a newer model hits the shelves and that's how I got mine at 70% MSRP.

AK is the only company that bothers to put some serious thought into their UI so I'm sticking with them until chi-fi shit catches up.

Do they support changalang characters?

Chinkshit already caught up with the android players.
AK UI is laggy as shit. Not sure if they got better but last time I seen one it's like 10fps.
Hell even newer low end chinkshit is already good since they switched from that shitty rtos.
You also get more features.

Of course.

AK has the best UI in the industry but their shit is overpriced as fuck.

Can't beat android or Sony UIs.
There's also applel UI but they stopped making ipods w/o iOS.

Pretty damn sure AK is Android.

It's some sort of modified Android. They stripped the entire upper layer of it, like ibasso did.

>Sony

I don't know about now but their DAPs didn't pump out enough current to drive harder loads and their OI is bigger than 3 ohm.

>Buying special snowflake audiofool gear just to listen to anime music

forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2-xl/how-to/pixel-usb-c-audio-measurements-t3691535

Pixel dongle is .4 ohms

For reference the $150 E12A is .3 ohms

>/dap/
more like /DAB/ am i right

Isn't their dongle just a passthrough for the phone's DAC?

>paying money just to listen to jewish propaganda
Really makes your almonds.

Looking to upgrade from an old colorfly c3, any recommendations? Preferably easy control of volume and track in pocket, looking for something in the $400 range. Currently using it with M50x's but planning to maybe change them later as well.

Check out cayin, shanling, ibasso and fiio.
You might be able to get a used DP-X1 for that price tô.

Nope, the dongle uses purely digital signals.

The dongle cost $9. Just goes to show you how overpriced most audio shit are.

Also uses a tiny integrated codec with a class D amp that has next to no power.
Try comparing its measurements to actual players.

>1.9v
>.5 ohms
>no power

You need barely 20% to hit over 90db on average headphones. Try bullshitting people on a thread not about audio players.

1.9v at what? Is this line out?
What's the power at 32ohm and 300ohm?
Newer codecs usually have low OI so it's not surprising.

Also where do the numbers come from?

There's only a single output. Read the review before commenting.

What review.
Usually you'd put a load on it and measure the power in watts.

Oh, so would you rather listen to EDM shit that is becoming more and more prevalent in burger music?

What's the best player to buy to use Rockbox on?

Affordable if possible, but good would be good.

Old sansa, old ipods, some sony players.

Any Cowon owners here? I'm looking to buy a new PMP, but I would like it to last as long as my current one (~10 years). The Cowon X9 looks good but would it last? I have an old Walkman currently and I would while I would love to buy a new one, Sony doesn't seem to like MicroSD slots.

A1x/2x/3x/4x has mSD slot.

>The only alternative to anime music is shitty American EDM
What? Did you have a stroke while typing this?

>80
I cant afford that

Is there a specific model you would recommend? I'd rather not spend more than $200.

A25 or A35.

Thank you.

Just use your phone, retards.

I don't want to drain my battery and fill up space faster than needed. Seems cumbersome too.

Thanks.

Find me an app with a better ui than this.

poweramp anonkun :3