/hpg/ - Headphone General

Requesting purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA
diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/179298-wire-ultra-performance-headphone-amplifier-pcbs.html
neurochrome.com/o2-headphone-amp/#Measurements
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for beyerdynamic dt770 is the new ath-m50x

Hi guys mike moffat here but my retarded placebo garbage dumb goyim thanks

third for when will my dt1770 start sounding its price point

will do

multidac's are pretty much perfect for the price, I bought the multidac some days ago and still have no idea what I exactly upgraded with my current setup, also multidac 32-80kbit can be driven by almost anything and it will sound amazing, not to forget they are super super comfy, yet light and extremely durable. Minuses include the non-removable cables and the need to replace earpads because your sweaty ass listens to them all day long (not even daily alcohol cleaning routines and strict rules of showering before wearing stop the contamination of earpads with humane juices), also tad too bassy for some, but if you remotely like bass you won't have problems.

Get these and some nice multiamp and you're set, if you want to start burning your money you can go my way and upgrade your setup until you get miniscule improvements for massive prices

iAmA Request: audio engineer to spew some redpills

recommend me some aliexpress headphones for iphone 8

>For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in

>$850 phone
>$10 headphones
priorities, man

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

Why is OP always a footfag

how else would you find the thread?

Takstar Pro 82
Superlux HD-662 Evo

It's obviously a handful of autists who create generals in the first place. They actually wait, and create threads, for free.

>for free
>not being on schiit's payroll

I don't know but I'm fine with it.

haha yeah you're so right and red pilled my fellow headphone owner!

Fucking kill yourself.

What DAC should I buy to hear the difference between it and the UCA222 I'm currently using?

benchmark dac3

pretty much anything above $75.

Schiit modi is cheap and good.

>Schiit modi
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/

How long has /hpg/ secretly been an ecchi feet general except one photo at a time

Frankly shit.

about year and a half

If the modi is shit, what dac should we be buying? All dacs have sounded the same to me so far, Aka nothing, aka a clean source with no on board hiss and that's it. I can hear differences with amps though.

HiFimeDIY ES9023 and Behringer UCA202 have both been measured and are both demonstrably transparent as standalone DACs. Spending any more money than on one of these is frankly pointless. Note: do not use the UCA202's headphone out, as it has stupidly high output impedance. Connect its RCA output to an amp.

was meant for And yes, multibit is an inaudible meme. Deal with it.

two pieces of shit measure the same, got it. Are you saying that every other expensive dac sounds no better than those two? I know head-fi types are mental, but there has to be something else when it comes to dacs.

If dacs are that simple and cheap, why does the modi apparently measure badly according to

>If dacs are that simple and cheap, why does the modi apparently measure badly according to
Because it's a audiophool shit made by marketing team and not by audio engineers

Using the term audiophool makes sound edgy as fuck.

Why would the modi be worse than the dacs you mentioned. If it was merely a rip off they would be the same, apparently cheap to produce dac, but cost more.

Any cheap good head phones.

No bass shit that doesn't let you hear a a fucking character speak.

Image is what I have and it is the best headphones I ever had, got it for $30
But now it's $70-$80.

Let's say $100

What is the best you can you give me

HD558

Because they are different designs. And I did not mention any dacs.

I have had a pair of M-Audio HDH50s for about a year now thanks to advice from Sup Forums. So far I am happy with them.

We both mentioned the modi, the modi is purely a dac.

If modi's schitt, can some autist prove magni is also schitt?

558 probably. SHP9500, Brainwavs HM5, AD700x, CB-1, m40x are also options

the magni is actually good, it doesn't have any digital parts they can fuck up and need 5 generations to work kinda properly

rude

The magni 2 and 3 are amazing for the money. It just seems that certain autists love to hate schiiit for some reason. Schiit products are popular and they look good, this is enough to trigger autists.

enough to recommend ugly looking and terrible sounding audio-gd products. i think the biggest audiophools are the ones who believe the gear has to be fucking ugly to sound good which is why chord products are so popular with them.

>Are you saying that every other expensive dac sounds no better than those two?
Yes.

Ok. Is this a fact?

It just seems like you are getting payed for your job because I can't imagine anyone healthy in mind praising Schiit. Especially when there are shameful measurements of Modi 2 posted above.

-Damping factor is a quantity we made up to simplify ODEs and frequency response into an easily digested number you can point to.
-Multibit* is a way of forcing a converter better suited for higher-speed applications into a niche it isn't suited for. It will tend to produce worse results for audio than an audio converter suited for the task. It is still good enough for audio if you put the effort into designing it carefully.
-Frequency response and impulse response are the same thing in that they only differ by a lossless operation. Both define everything linear about the sound (sensitivity, CSDs, square waves, etc.)

*It's not about multiple bits, but a converter based on a resistor network. A misnomer. That there are multiple levels that can be assigned to is not the same as what the masses refer to.

Any number of reasons:
-Procedural error
-Device could be out of spec
-DAC has little jitter fault tolerance
-General EMI tolerance is not high enough
-It really is that bad, because the engineers made a mistake

>but there has to be something else when it comes to dacs.
There does not. As it would happen, the ear is a poor sensor compared to the modern ability to craft electronics. The challenge is scaling these "perfect" designs to more affordable products. Robustness has not been cheap to build.
I would question the claim the 202/ES9023 is perfect. Whether it is or isn't, it wouldn't produce any serious error aside a few general electronics problems and some unique to discretization.

Any good tips on headphones that let's you feel the music if not sink into it. I'm starting to listen to music more often when I got out and even home when I do work for my class.

I really like headphones that are earmuffs.
My budget will be $100-$150

If theres not much option I guess I can bump my budget to $200

Headphones I have atm is pic related

>when you get done listening to your hd600s on you schiit stack

I'm genuinely asking because I don't know much about dacs. I know that the magni 2 and 3 are great amps because I have owned both. You claim that the modi 2 is shameful. I this a fact? if all god mods are purely 'clean' explain to me why the modi is bad.

Schiit makes it all too easy for me to hate them.

>When you aren't satisfied with your own life and equipment

LMAO

I know nothing about headphones so I picked up some all-around (supposedly) decent closed back ones. Everything that I'd want to sound great, like general tests or high-quality audio, is excellent and I can hear every detail. My problem is that most games sound mediocre or tinny and don't really pick up stuff like in-game enemy distances (a gun firing 30 yards away vs. 12 yards away, footsteps, etc.) I'm guessing this is a sound stage issue even though everything else sounds very nice.

What would I adjust to fix this? I've been playing around with some general settings and Equalizer APO but I can't figure out what's wrong.

>crystal clean plastic

Yes. There's no way in hell you could tell the difference in a blind test. I am 101% confident in this.

>I would question the claim the 202/ES9023 is perfect.
They are not, of course, technically perfect, but they're as accurate as they need to be for your ears. Expensive DACs are the biggest scam in audio since expensive cables.

Are you using virtual surround or playing games with built-in HRTF? No headphone in the world is going to help with that if you're simply playing back stereo audio in game.

Different user, but I am interested in the virtual sound thing. Is it worth trying?

For gaming with 5.1/7.1 options, movies encoded in 5.1/7.1 and music encoded in 5.1/7.1, yes. Do not use it on stereo audio. It will make stereo audio sound worse.

A lot of older games (as in not made after 2016) simply don't have the option.

Having the same issue. My headphones play stuff like this just fine but suck in games.

youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

A lot of the times when a game has a headphones option that means it has built-in virtual surround for headphones and thus you don't need separate virtual surround software for that game.

Valve games are notoriously shit at positional audio

the HRTF mode in CSGO is good though

So I was browsing diyaudio and stumbled across this. Looks incredible, imho. A better measuring O2. What do you guys think?

diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/179298-wire-ultra-performance-headphone-amplifier-pcbs.html

Just replaced stock earpads on my k550s with brainwavz round sheepskin leather.
This is a whole step above the shitty akg earpads that start flaking after a year. I'm maximum comfy right now

jesus christ how new to to the audio community in general are you

not at all, I just mainly work with loudspeakers. This looks like a neat headphone amplifier though.

how hard was it to get those earpads on?

ez pz
Took me about an hour but that's because I'm not a smart person.
Once you figure out the trick to get them on both will attach easily.
I think it was a tight fit, maybe the 110mm XL variant would have been a better fit, but everything I found online said the diameter of stock earpads is 100mm so I went with that. Stock definitely look slightly bigger than the brainwavz.

why is this general so trashy?
>worshipping one model of headphone as if its god even when it measures worse than most decent IEMs, is made of shitty plastic that breaks regularly through typical use, and has the aesthetics of a kitchen countertop
>sucking the dick of a company that sells an overpriced, usb powered dongle with a volume control that still has massive QC issues, a desktop dac with the exact same chip as this dongle but in a shiny aluminum case, whos previous products literally destroyed and/or altered the drivers of headphones when turned on and off.
>person who makes the thread pics cringy, sexualized anime girl images where she just happens to be wearing headphones
>if a product isn't schiit or sennheiser it's bashed into the ground by shitposters unironically for the same problems that exist within these two idolized brands
>people post pics of their abyssmal and typically cringy setups, about 50% of them are the same cookie cutter schiit stack hd600 combo next to their uncleaned keyboard filled with skin flakes and hair.
>literally not a single discussion on audio in a meaningful manner. nothing about the science or technology behind it or how to improve it. not even music. just brand whoring and bashing.

it's degenerate and disgusting, and I really hope these threads gets banned because they're the absolute worst on Sup Forums.

>whos previous products literally destroyed and/or altered the drivers of headphones when turned on and off.
i love how to pluralize this when it was one product and don't consider the fact that only retards switch amps on/off while their headphones are plugged in. are you just upset because their products look good, are priced very competitively and measure better than chink-fi shit like audio-gd that head-fi try to push constantly. if you have a better recommendation than the schiit stack we're all ears (no, the otherpriced o2/odac combo is not a valid response and the o2 was designed by an undergrad tier 'engineer')

post your headphones

You won't hear a difference. More expensive DACs measure better with lower noise levels but for an average user like yourself it won't matter.
Not like it sounds better but yes I think the O2 was inspired by The Wire.
HD600 measures well. I only believe that Etymotic IEMs are the only IEMs that measure better than the HD600.

I really like how I've triggered schiits viral marketing shill to act like its totally okay to have terrible customer service, quality control, and the legacy of a first gen product that was so improperly designed is destroyed peoples gear.

spreading FUD like this really speaks to your credibility.
>terrible customer service
citation needed
>quality control
citation needed, this isn't chifiman, poodeze or audio-garbage
>product that was so improperly designed is destroyed peoples gear.
show a source of someones product being destroyed and being unusable following its use with a schiit product
>

>if you have a better recommendation than the schiit stack we're all ears (no, the otherpriced o2/odac combo is not a valid response and the o2 was designed by an undergrad tier 'engineer')
O2 is transparent and at the time it was affordable and was designed to power your typical dynamic headphones and IEMs flawlessly. You can't say it's a bad amp, although the design is somewhat shitty.

Anyway, it's 2017, amps and DACs are not needed. Onboard sound is fine.

>when the schiit shill is triggered by the inevitable truth

there is no irony in their name, they sell garbage to uneducated plebs

friendly reminder to report posts made by schiits marketing team such as this

>and was designed to power your typical dynamic headphones and IEMs flawlessly
that was the design intention but the end result was just clipping and more clipping. what a disaster.
neurochrome.com/o2-headphone-amp/#Measurements

>Anyway, it's 2017, amps and DACs are not needed. Onboard sound is fine.
it being 2017 doesn't mean everyone has a motherboard from the last 2-3 years with a decent realtek codec.

friendly reminder that announcing reports is against the rules you fucking newfag.

>After listening to the O2 for the better part of a week I have a decidedly ‘meh’ feeling about it. I would call it decent, but not good, and certainly not stellar or high end. I find the presentation hazy and muddy across the audio range. The O2 lacks the precision of a good semiconductor amp and it doesn’t make up for it by being engaging or adding an “out of the head” experience like a good tube amp would. At one point I actually found myself wondering if it sounded better or about the same as the stock headphone output of my iPhone 5S.

Not a credible source.

friendly reminder to report posts made by schiits marketing team such as this

>link literally directs you to measurements
>seek out the tiny portion of the review that is subjective to dismiss it
i guess all Innerfidelity measurements are also not credible sources, nice mental gymnastics dipshit.

My setup is an HD600/DT770 with a Fulla 2. Is there any reason to try another similarly priced headphone like the 712 or should I look to higher end stuff to upgrade to?

You have the most important bases covered.

HD600 is relatively neutral with rolled off sub-bass and treble.

DT770 has boosted sub-bass and treble.

I wouldn't buy the K712 since it's inferior to the HD600.

Maybe save up for an HD800.

>Maybe save up for an HD800.
for what, he already has treble-happy headphones and headphones with a midbass hump

Are the DT880's different enough from 600 and 770 to warrant trying?

Fellow TX-0 dude, I summon thee.

get the aeon flow, either closed or open

DT880s are basically a baby HD800 with shifted treble peak, you'd want something warmer to compliment your headphones like a TH-X00 ebony

because here at /hpg/ you need to shill Sennheiser, especially when you're on their payroll.

in a few seconds, someone will pop out and shill him a shit stack so that Mike can get more shekels.

I pretty much agree with you 100%.

I feel bad for anyone reading /hpg/ regularly because it really shows how shitty some corners of the audio hobby really are.

the schiit stack is just a convenient recommendation because it covers all the bases and is among the cheapest good quality products, does this rabid hate for them just come from trying to be contrarian? i'm not recommending him schiit products but nobody seems to want to suggest anything else good (aside from one retarded trying to unironically suggest $300 chink-fi)

I'd save up and buy some planars. No point in shitting around in mid-fi, considering you already have a decent pairing

hi mike, maybe you should fix the QC issues with the fulla 2 and be more empathetic towards your customers who purchased your defective products.

planars are mid-fi purgatory, there are no hi-fi planars in existence

>aeon flow
Never heard of these, what's their signature like?

I considered the X00 but figured they were too similar to the 770, am I wrong?

why don't you address the question in the post instead of shitposting like a Sup Forumstard

>am I wrong?
you haven't heard bass till you've heard biocell drivers
>Never heard of these, what's their signature like?
like an hd650 with better bass extension

the aeon are among the most neutral planars out there and very comfy