This is NOT typical at fucking all.
Kaypros;
None work completely
A couple do not power on
Some power on but cannot connect keyboard
Two have no keyboard
The TRS-80 is untested and sold as-is
I have no interest in macs

I am still mad at myself for passing up a working T3100 with a few lines out on the screen that booted to DOS 3.2 for $15 a couple months ago.
Doushio Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Computer-Warehouse-for-sale-100s-of-Vintage-Computers-Keyboards-More-/192286567641?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>not buying the macs
rip ;_;7

I wish my local Goodwill (or any thrift store) had a selection like that. Usually, it's just a bunch of shitty monitors.

>Applul is dum so i dont buy the macs xD

Not my area of interest. You're free to snag them yourself.
They don't last long. This location is right near where I work, I typically stop in twice a week minimum. As I said, this is absolutely not typical in any way. They generally have no vintage hardware at all, and any they do get lasts very little time on the shelves. There was a nonfunctional Osborne that stayed on the shelf for a month, and later there was a working one with boot disk/OS and it lasted literally one hour. It's all luck. With this batch, I am assuming someone cleaned out their closet.

Oh, it's the 12 year olds again.

Go sperg about your fruity toddler toys over at

I have no interest in most of the low-end nostalgia bait consumer shit you probably like but I'd save it anyway because it's worth preserving

I have a soft spot for old luggables and stuff like that. When I was younger I wasted an inordinate amount of time playing with TI-83 software so I love old machines like these.
I'd like to find another gas-plasma device one of these days, preferably another Toshiba, but one of the battery-equipped models, as I'd like to be able to use it to interface with the diagnostics port on my '89 jeep through the serial port. Someone's already managed it with a more modern machine but I think it would be a nice 'period correct' project.

I don't blame you, the Kaypros would be the first thing to pile into my cart too, and the Macs in that lot aren't all that great; just a Classic and what is at best a Centris 660AV (good fucking luck) but probably a Power Mac 6100. I'd still swipe them if I can, they're wonderfully practical systems for their age and they sure as hell aren't getting any younger, but it's not like you really missed out on anything super incredible. They're low-end shit, as fun as they can be. I don't know about the TRS-80s, I was never into consumer 8-bits the same way you aren't into 68k Macs, I'll take them if the opportunity arises but they all feel the same and don't do anything spectacular for me.

Your post just seemed like it was trying to bait with that, I couldn't help but bite it. But I won't shit on you.

Same here.

I live in an area that's mostly Hispanic. I'm a white guy and my salary is more than the average family income here, so my Goodwill is always filled with old clothes that were already worse than what I buy when they were new. The electronics section consists of a single shelf usually filled with broken speakers and cheap boomboxes.

I miss living near a college town where spoiled kids were constantly donating good shit just so they wouldn't have to move it.

>I have no interest in macs
All the more for those of us who don't bother with trash.

No bully the TRS-80.

I've got a goodwill store by me. Found 17 computers in the back end of the store near the warehouse entrance.
>How much do you want to sell them for?
>They aren't working...
>I'll buy them all!
>$5.00 each (guy snickers)
>Donezo! Let me bring my truck around.
>Get 4 non-working, fix them all. One gaming rig, ASUS board, Core 2 Quad proc and 6G's of RAM. 17 working computers.
>Score!

I go back to see if want to sell more.
>yeah, nah, the owner doesn't want to....
>nothing but broken dells with their RAM and HDD's taken out.

Fag.

The computer center in mine is pretty alright. They haven't gotten in a decent shipment of stuff they would use as barebones' in a while, which is all I ever buy from them.I'm posting from a C2D I bought from them, and I built two low-mid range gaming PCs for friends of mine by waiting for decent C2Qs to show up and shoehorning a midrange card into each. They also had a few dual-CPU Xeon machines as barebones for a while.
They're an alright source of old parts. Some stuff is overpriced though. It's still worth a chuckle seeing old high end 8800GTX cards on the shelf for $15.

I fucked up once and missed out on a meeting with a thrift store that usually got rid of a pallet load every other week because I had the flu, by the time I was able to make it they had worked out some other deal or whatever.

I've still got the biggest thrift store chain in the state though, I've pulled so much good shit out of there for just about nothing.

If this is an interesting topic, I could post some pictures. I built a workshop at a storage garage just to work on them. It was a pretty good haul. I think I might make out with a decent low-end gaming rig and a few to sell.

Those old Dual-core DELLS though...I'd like to install a low power Linux OS and sell them for like 10 bucks on Craigslist.

>unironically being this much of a faggot
The Apple II is a cool piece of retro tech.

there already was a retro thread

>'Muribaby's first retro encounter
Shit's common as fuck here. There are literary Kypros and Macintosh Classics for sale on the local sales site under the old computer section, for almost nothing.
Are they really that rare there that you have to make a thread about a bunch of broken ones?

Oh, also a T3200.
It's funny that reatards go for basic shit like T3100 instead of the less tech illiterate equipment like the Kypros, that says a lot about you, OP.

It's substantially less cool than its contemporaries.

That's what a tech illiterate would say and/or probably someone who mindlessly hate Apple because they are a 16 year old retard who thinks Sup Forums memes from 6 months ago are cool.

Why? They're just not very interesting next to Sinclair or Acorn's machines, nor are they interesting next to Japanese computers. or the knock-off Soviet computers. I only ever hear Americans talk about these things as if they are some kind of great kit, but they just aren't.

Yup, spotted the tech illiterate.
They have some amazing engineering inside of them and you can do all kinds of wizardry with them if you know how to. They where truly consumer grade scientific computers for their time. Compared to the Z80 and 6502 based Sinclair or Acorn computers, those where toys next to the Apple II.

t. European

tell me more about those interesting sinclair and acorn computers of the time please
also make a few examples of those japanese computers and soviet clones
I'm waiting

>They have some amazing engineering inside of them
Not particularly.
>you can do all kinds of wizardry with them if you know how to
That is the same of every computer.
>They where truly consumer grade scientific computers for their time
No, not at all. They WERE just mid-range consumer computers with a high-end price. I don't know why you want to compare them to scientific computers, that is just silly.
>those where toys next to the Apple II.
They WERE designed for a cheaper market, which is what makes them all the more interesting. What you can get out of them, for the price, blew Apple out of the water.
>tell me more about those interesting sinclair and acorn computers of the time please
Such as?
>also make a few examples of those japanese computers and soviet clones?
MSX, in particular, for Japan. The point I made of the Soviet computers is that they were knock-offs. Many clones of western computers. Did you know that and you're just trying to waste my time, or are you actually unaware?

so no argument? okay

Being a britbong sucks. No stores whatsoever like this.

I've heard Europeans have local sales sites where you can find shitloads of old electronics for reasonable prices?
Then again, that was probably about central/northern/eastern Europe and not UK.

Prices are never reasonable online.

It's sad when people hate Apple mindlessly.
The Apple II took shits on the PET and TRS-80 back in the late 70's. Piss off with your "hurr sinclair and acorn" they didn't even have anything on the market at the time.
Woz did many things himself and you can see his clever designs.

>The Apple II took shits on the PET and TRS-80 back in the late 70's. Piss off with your "hurr sinclair and acorn" they didn't even have anything on the market at the time.
No, not at all. What are you even talking about? The Apple II wasn't even out in the late 70's.

>Not particularly.
Compare them to something like the PET and you see what they had integrated what others didn't even have as expansions.

>That is the same of every computer.
Com'on, other's of the time didn't even have graphics modes.

>No, not at all. They WERE just mid-range consumer computers with a high-end price. I don't know why you want to compare them to scientific computers, that is just silly.
Not really, the main system unit without monitor and floppy drives costed as much as a PET or TRS-80, sure those had monitors included in the price but no floppy drives.
There was not much of a "low-end/mid-range/high-end" market at the time, that was more of a early 80's thing.

>MSX, in particular, for Japan. The point I made of the Soviet computers is that they were knock-offs. Many clones of western computers. Did you know that and you're just trying to waste my time, or are you actually unaware?
None of the computer you mention here, like MSX, Soviet clones (Agat) weren't out til '83, 6 years after the Apple II.

What? The Apple II came out in 1977.
You have no clue yet you try so hard to be a smartass.

I only know about the 80s Apple IIs, like the IIe, I don't think the early ones ever showed up here. They look like inferior PCs, however.
I don't remember anyone using disks here, disk drives were so ridiculously expensive that it was all tapes or, in the case of the TRS-80, cartridges.

you passed on a prehistoric pos, oh no...

>I only know about the 80s Apple IIs, like the IIe, I don't think the early ones ever showed up here. They look like inferior PCs, however.
Apple II predates IBM PCs by 4 years.

>I don't remember anyone using disks here, disk drives were so ridiculously expensive that it was all tapes or, in the case of the TRS-80, cartridges.
Yet people did use floppy drives with their Apple II's and Commodore PET's.

>Yet people did use floppy drives with their Apple II's and Commodore PET's
Yeah, but not here. That's what you don't get. You don't realise that everywhere is different. Just because your market went one way doesn't mean every market went that way. Can you understand that?

>I'm a hoarder the post
Machinists and other workmen have an excuse to buy old tech. We don't.
Those things are just too expensive in storage cost.

>Apple II predates IBM PCs by 4 years.
Not the IIe

Unless you lived in a 2'nd or 3'rd world country in the late 70's, there were people around you who probably did.
Offices, scientific research, libraries, colleges. Etc.

>moving goalposts
Discussion was about Apple II.
user actually compared it to computers from the early 80's, totally ignoring the fact that it was several years younger and then bitching about it costing more or doing less.

>moving goalposts
I'm not the guy you're arguing with.

only an elitist board like Sup Forums can hate things like /retro/

The II was like the only Apple machine worth getting.
Lisa, early Macs, etc. were all shit compared to what Commodore offered.

>Those things are just too expensive in storage cost.
I'm a retro fag yuropoor, living in my own three story house, with several rooms full of hardware.
Paying no rent and only power, internet and water. I can't see how how it affects me negatively that I have an interest in them.

Literal shelves of trash.

>OP just wanted to talk about kaypros
>macfaggots spot random mac in picture

>"OMG OMG OHEMGEE A MAC OMG Y U NO BUY MAC DX"
>"I LUV MACS DUN U LUV MAX?!"
>"WUT MAX U GUISE HAVE?!?! xD"
>"DID I MENSHION I LUV MAX?!?!"

This is why no one likes mactoddlers.

I agree.
The II and IIgs, after that Apple hardware was useless until the high end 68k machines.

My dad's a hoarder. It has serious consequences. From any objective view me as a person is worth less than absolute junk. And no it's not rare shit even. It's just junk that his work throws away.
You really have to consider the cost to those around you and yourself when you do things like this. I see how it's deceptively simple.
That's not the normal case for people. But consider if you want to invite people over. I certainly recognize that that's less harmful than most situations.

>>OP just wanted to talk about kaypros
No, he didn't.
OP was an obvious hipster in the first place, nobody took him seriously. Whole thread is shitposts, but you're too dumb to see that and think you're the first one to post bait.

It's a Mac Plus even.
Which was an expensive piece of shit.

>That's not the normal case for people.
Most people interested in /retro/ I know on Sup Forums and personally own their own property and live in their own house.

>But consider if you want to invite people over.
I have rooms dedicated to hardware, it's not like I don't have normal living quarters, livingroom or kitchen.
You're probably one of those insecure types that worries what women would think if they saw a piece of old hardware at your place.

Words cannot describe how insanely jelly I am that such wonders can still be found in burgerland. ausfailian thrift stores straight up refuse to take electrical gear, period, because "muh insurance coverage"

See also; ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Computer-Warehouse-for-sale-100s-of-Vintage-Computers-Keyboards-More-/192286567641?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Love them like I would have OP.

>But consider if you want to invite people over.
Most of my friends quiet enjoy playing my Vectrex, throwing down some tabletop donkey kong, or a quick serial session of Doom on the dosboxen I have scattered through my house. Get better friends.

>My dad's a hoarder. It has serious consequences. From any objective view me as a person is worth less than absolute junk. And no it's not rare shit even. It's just junk that his work throws away.
>You really have to consider the cost to those around you and yourself when you do things like this. I see how it's deceptively simple.
Your dad made a mistake. I'm sorry you had it rough.
I have great friends, I enjoy my life, I figured out long ago that committed relationships are overrated and just sexual hookups are the best of both worlds and that a person should do what makes them happy and disregard what others think he should do or what should make him happy. I would never want to have kids so that I would have less time to do things I enjoy.

You do realize the eBay sale is shit?
It's mostly corroded PC shit with the occasional nicer piece of hardware that alone would cost only a fraction if thrown together.

There weren't, actually, as I didn't live in a city. I lived in a moderately sized town, about 1,500 people. The first computers I knew people were using were Vic-20s. Schools had BBC Micros and businesses used PCs, eventually.

You should see Yuropoor online sites, not like eBay or Craigslist but sites that sell local shit.
Holy shit they have nice things for sale that are considered rare elsewhere and they usually go for real cheap. Specially in places like Germany and Finland.

>I live in a shithole without places like big offices, scientific research, big libraries or colleges
>there wasn't any tech around
thanks for calling out the obvious, user

I live in Germany, don't know were to get used shit other than ebay or the local flea market.

Go to the tip shops, they sometimes have good stuff. I've found C64s, Amigas, IBM keyboards, and all stuff like that. I see charity shops selling lots of electronics.
Hardly a shithole, much better than living in a city. Then and now. I'm just telling you that people around me, regardless of your assumption, didn't conform to your ideas, despite what you may think. Certainly no one had Apple things here. And not until the mid-late 80s did disk drives really become commonplace.

I don't care, the contents of that warehouse is prolly greater than the contents of my entire fucking state in terms of retropute. And fuck corrosion, I have restored a trailer full of 5150's that went through a flood in a basement to saleable condition. All but one of the 7 were restored to function, the last one had been cannibalised at board level for parts. Granted I have access to a sandblaster and ultrasonic cleaning tanks, but if you're committed to retro, you find a way.

Yeah I know, all sorts of shit pops up in /retro/ that gets my cooch wet, and again, here I am, stuck on an island of convicts and bogans, with a cost of freight that is often good multiples of the actual price of the hardware.. Assuming you can get anyone to actually ship here.

Life is pain.

Eastern Yuropoor here, Finland has a nice selection but we have local auction sites that have shitloads of old hardware for almost nothing.

>Hardly a shithole, much better than living in a city. Then and now. I'm just telling you that people around me, regardless of your assumption, didn't conform to your ideas, despite what you may think. Certainly no one had Apple things here. And not until the mid-late 80s did disk drives really become commonplace.
All I said is that where computers where obvious, people did have floppy drives on their Apple II and PET systems in the late 70's.
Even when it was one drive shared between 5 computers.

There is a place called reverse garbage near me, frequented by artfags to buy shit for their.. whatever they call it. Industrial offcuts, production overrun items and e-waste. A university turfed all their old lab gear onto them once and I picked up a bunch of HP scopes, signal gens and Fx counters, but they are quite far from me, and you need to know when to get in there for it. If you can expand on "tip shops" I would appreciate it..

Were Apple IIs sold much outside the US in the 70s? I don't remember them at all.
AllI'm saying is disk drives were too expensive to be used by the general population and most establishments in the country.
A tip shop is where the staff of the tip take stuff from people who are dumping their rubbish in the landfill in exchange for a lower entry fee. The staff sell this stuff, then, to make more money. They usually have very low prices.

Man, those IBMs in the start.
I had a black one back in the day, when it was still new, same design but much taller, dual Slot 1 Pentium 3.

>going to goodwill for computers
>going to goodwill
why?

For computers

>Not Quake or Quake 2 or Quake 3
>Not C&C game like Red Alert
>Not Age of Empire 1 or 2
>Not even Half Life
>Fucking Counter-Strike
Personally, I never saw Counter Strike played as a LAN party game, anywhere, ever, only as a online multiplayer game.

Never heard of them before, will go hunting. I assume you are ausfag?

>buying clothes at goodwill
This meme needs to stop, the only acceptable used clothes are hand-me-downs.

Yeah, but in Tasmania. I looked it up and it might be more of a Tassie thing, since the first one in the country was set up in Glenorchy. I don't know, but every decent sized tip here has a shop attached to it.

What's the issue? They're just clothes. You can wash them.

Ahh I see. Veola, Sita and councils operate tips up here in NSW, and they don't like people taking shit because it cuts into their scrap profits. Even office works go thermonuclear if you so much as glance at their e-waste bins. There are a lot of reasons to visit tassie it seems

>$100,699.99 for a warehouse full of electronic garbage
>most of the garbage is non working and will need to be recycled costing further money
Wow. Only $100,699.99? Why buy a house when you could own a semi truck load of electronic garbage?

My computer is filled with parts that I found in the electronics dump at my university. You can save lots of money by doing this. Computer fans are a good example of this. If you just reapply lubricant to them they will last for years. If you use a resistor the difference in flow vs noise will be low compared to new, more expensive fans too. Heatsinks are another good example. These are also parts that you can use for lots of other things that require cooling or heating. Buying these parts new is prohibitively expensive if it's a cheap project and you need a lot of material.

Getting stuff like keyboards and mice is also a good idea. Just cover them with isopropyl alcohol and wipe them off, then put them in a drawer. Lots of people are going to buy a replacement keyboard/mouse in store if their good one breaks, then buy a better one later. This often sets them back $20-$30 given the steep prices in computer stores. It's better to have these things for free in case your current stuff breaks, then you can spend the savings on getting better new stuff instead of wasting money on garbage in desperation. The stuff you find in electronics dumps is also often much higher quality than crap consumer stuff. Often they will have HP standard keyboards and mice bought in bulk which are much better than the cheapest stuff you find in consumer stores.

See! This user gets it!

The tip shops are definitely the best place to find things cheap here, but most of the stuff getting thrown away is 90s-early 00s stuff. It used to be very common to find Commodore stuff, but not so much anymore. Makes me wish I'd grabbed some more RGB monitors for the Amiga, but oh well.

Same situation user, I live in Miami. The thrift stores here are absolutely disgusting, the niggers and hispanics literally buy carts worth of shit. All the electronics are either broken, or extremely shit and worthless. The clothes are fucking shitty and worn as fuck, same with the kids toys.

You got it user, good thinking. I feel very similar, unless the women is truly a good human and can prove it.

Where are these dumps located usually?

>unless the women is truly a good human and can prove it.
They make good friends then and casual sex partners then.
Having casual sex I still don't got for blonde dummies, fake or just plain toxic women.

Having had relationship experience over a decade, without them ever ending in a bad way but just "get bored" or grow apart, I don't see the appeal in dedication like that anymore or "love" that will fade quickly in the first place. It's more like a trap you set up for yourself, you won't have time to do things you truly enjoy and one day you might find out your partner has changed their mind and wants something you don't, like kids for example.

That's a bad excuse for Apple 2. Even genesis had a 6800 chipset and was cheap

What?
Genesis was a console from the late 1988 that used a Motorola 68000 and not a 6800. A CPU that was a decade old already at the time.

Makes sense user, FWB type situation sounds nice. Women here are stupid, mostly whores, and just trash in general. Smaller town/rural women (people in general usually) are a lot better.

Men usually get fucked anyways, especially if there are children involved. Plus I don't want to get cheated on, or cucked.

I'll probably do the exact same thing that you're currently doing.

I recently just realized, that you're not just competing with other hobbyists or collectors, not even normal resellers that make money off hipster, you're actually competing also with professional resellers, like government level corporations, that buy old hardware only to sell it to huge prices to big companies and governments who need spare parts or machines and will only replace them with the exact models.

Those are the ones that do the biggest damage, as you usually can't compete with them.
They go as far as buying things like PETs only to strip them for things like their power supply HV transistors, because those have to be model exact and they can get much more for a few of those then a whole PET.

Sorry, I have no idea where they're "usually" located. I would guess that depends on country, jurisdiction and policies. I would wager there's a logistic argument for them having a certain size though, so that might help you locate them. I'm sure the superintendent knows where it is, maybe you could ask him? While it's technically stealing to take the stuff, I doubt anyone cares. At my uni there are never hard drives in the dump, I guess most places take the same precautions to avoid proliferation of confidential/personal data.

Yes I did? I just don't care about macs because they personally do nothing for me. It's just not an area of retrocomputing I care about. I don't have anything against them. The only 68k machine I have is a Voyage 200. For whatever reason it seems like 60% of what comes though my local shop is CP/M luggables when there's anything actually there, so I've started to develop an interest in them. I just wanted Sup Forums's opinion on whether it might be worth grabbing a like pair and combining them into a working machine, or trying my luck with the TRS-80 that hasn't even been tested. If I were a hipster I'd be trying to do something retarded like shove a raspi into it or turn it into a bong or flower vase or some other gay shit, not restoring it to proper working order.
This is 100% the case. It's really fucking weird to see happen and quite awkward to realize there are still massive industrial control systems running on 8080, Z80, 286 and 68k-based hardware older than the people responsible for operating them, and half the time they have to call in some retired wizard to fix the thing.

Get the Macs, sell it to vintage Apple fags, and get all the money.

>8080, Z80, 286 and 68k-based hardware
But but 6502?

>Yes I did?
I know, I was just shitting on the stale bait guy, didn't want to shit on you. I just though you're already out for good and won't even be back.
I like your thread and I'm glad you posted it, it's been interesting.

That too.

The monochrome composite Apple monitors are actually nice to use with CP/M machines.

No problem mate, I'm glad I posted it. Normally I wouldn't even bother posting about stuff showing up, but with even single units popping up being seldom the appearance of a small cache of hardware like this was completely out of the ordinary and I couldn't quite decide what to do. Sadly, there's a good chance that half of this stuff will be gone by this afternoon even though none of it is fully operational. I've run into more than a few regulars who check in repeatedly specifically for retro hardware like this. Half of the staff are gray-haired old timers who used stuff like this when it was new. Hell, they used to maintain a hardware museum here. I'm glad I got to go when it was open, it had a lot of rare shit. Much more rare than the consumer stuff that shows up now. They sold off the whole thing two or three years ago.

There were a lot of really cool vintage/second hand stores in Brighton when i lived there for a while. Picked up a lot of old cameras and stuff like that for nothing. Got an olympus mju ii and a couple of old rangefinders for £1 each.

/fit/ is much worse I don't know what that guy is talking about. everyone there pretends that they are elite body builders and they worship the gym-rat equivalent to Ricardo Stallman

The most unironically helpful board is probably /diy/, though I can see that slowly changing.