When did you grow out of the "The more esoteric the programming language I use is, the better." phase?

When did you grow out of the "The more esoteric the programming language I use is, the better." phase?

Other urls found in this thread:

learnpythonthehardway.org/book/nopython3.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For my job I use Coq, Agda and Lisp so not yet

stop meming please

When did you start thinking that it's okay to not learn new languages just because you know the mainstream ones?

How do you find a functional programming job?

>stop meming
>in a bait thread

When I started adult life and found a job.

I'd rather do projects, not redecorate the office in which I do projects over and over

There aren't that many jobs in functional programming but if you are genuinely serious about getting s FP job you need to network. Functional programming conferences such as ICFP and POPL are good examples. The difficulty is if you don't already have a job in the field or are pursuing a PhD you won't have much to talk about.

Learning to program day 1: The right tool for the job.

One does not exclude the other.

I work in JavaScript, so I have yet to outgrow that.

about 20 minutes ago

How is JavaScript "esoteric"?

That was never on my mind. I only ever saw programming as tools to make my imagination a reality and not for intellectual posturing.

I'm not pretending that I'll always be faithful to the 1 language thats popular, I do switch if i can do it better in something else

this is more a thread directed towards people who keep learning really tiny languages with almost no community to feel "better" and don't do any projects

>this is more a thread directed towards baiting and shitposting
No need to thank me

I don't know any esolangs.

Never. I was using Lisp and Scheme, but now I'm learning Perl5 to avoid Python3. Projects galore.

>im learning perl5 to avoid python3
for what purpose I dont even see the connection

I end up doing a ton of Python programming for work, but after several years of using Python I've realized it's shit. With Python3, I have to go rewrite all my Python2 code if I want to continue to use it, and all I get out of Python3 is dumb shit like print being a function or integer truncation in division no longer being the default. They didn't fix anything that bothers me. Zed Shaw has a pretty good breakdown of why Python3 is shit. learnpythonthehardway.org/book/nopython3.html There's also the Python Foundation using their trademarks to prevent a continuation of Python2 called Python2.8 from using the same name. Now it's called tauthon or something and can't be used as a direct replacement because the program names and file suffixes all had to be changed.

Perl5 is in several ways far better than Python, and the developers don't seem to be trying to force the community into anything. Perl6 also supports backwards compatibility pretty well, despite not being advertised as a replacement for Perl5 the way that Python3 is advertised as a replacement for Python2.

Tl;DR Perl5 isn't developed by assholes who think my time is worthless, afaik.

they're both scripting languages, aren't they?

Perl5 has variable declarations, which means it doesn't require Python's 'nonlocal' and 'global' bullshit. Perl5 doesn't have significant whitespace, so I can nest fairly complicated expressions and indent them in a way that's easy to read. With the function signature library, I can write functions the same as I would in other languages. There's a lot of existing code that just works, and the community is pretty good about documentation and tests.

To be honest I can't be bothered with a language that tries to fuddle me with syntax or anything. I don't live and breathe this stuff and just need the easiest way to translate mathematical statements into something a computer understands with as little pain and limitation as possible

you sound like a fortran man

Perl is complicated, but you aren't expected to know all of it. Every Perl programmer programs in their own little subset of the language. This is usually seen as a bad thing, but it makes sense. In prose, we write to an audience. If you're writing a program for scientists who don't know all the syntactic tricks, use basic constructs and make it easy to understand. If you're writing a program as part of a web development project, you can be terse, especially with the web stuff that appears in every project. People who think there's only one way to write code are crazy.

Are they? whats the difference between scripting and not? What's a "real" programming one then?

javascript is the exact opposite of esoteric you fuckwit. You literally could not have chosen a worse example. this is probably bait so fuck you