Why Devuan has that so fucking old kernel?

I don't like rolling releases distros but this is ridiculous.

Can someone recommend me a systemd-free distro?
Has anyone tried Artix? Looks good.

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Debian_Stretch
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Compile your own kernel.

I'm too lazy

Install Gentoo. It defaults to OpenRC.

i want to fug karen

It doesn't default to anything

gentoo

>I don't want to compile the kernel but I would like to compile it and everything else
Yametee

just use systemd

Slackware

I apologize anime lady, I didn't read through the thread and it was young so I resorted to memes
void linux

It does default to OpenRC. The default profile uses OpenRC and the live images use OpenRC. Gentoo still gives you the choice to use systemd or anything else, but it does have some defaults.

Gentoo does compiling for you, also Gentoo even has a utility called genkernel if you are really too lazy to compile a kernel.

>Can someone recommend me a systemd-free distro?
Debian. Just don't install systemd.

make install && make modules_install
also this.

Why dont you like systemd though? It's not bad.

Why do you care? Do you need some particular feature of a newer kernel?

>make modules_install
That installs modules with debug info, which makes the module tree use like 10 GB of space. Apparently the current recipe is
make modules_install INSTALL_MOD_STRIP=1

I'm a former Devuan user whose installed a new kernel, its pretty easy, just git clone a kernel you want and make install && make modules_install. The longest thing is compiling. Alternatively, move to Artix. Ships with Linux 4.9 and has way newer packages then Devuan.

how?

Not OP but there are plenty of reasons to hate systemd without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Sooooo....Devuan. The distro that OP already has installed

Well, the easiest is to simply replace it with syvinit-core post-installation, but if you want systemd to never even touch your /var/lib/dpkg/status then I'm sure it's possible to modify the debootstrap script to do that. There's no practical difference, though.

so it's as easy as doing these 3 steps??

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Debian_Stretch

or is there a disadvantage?

Pretty much, except I've never had to install inittab manually; it has always been installed by the package. So it's really just two steps.

That being said, though, just installing sysvinit-core probably only removes systemd. You may additionally want to apt-get purge it.

thanks, I'm the process of that

I thought it was really difficult, like only possible when installing Debian, hence the need for Devuan

You might still be using systemd-udevd for udev. I don't think debian has eudev in their repos.

>eudev
yeah. doesn't seem to be on testing at least

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure "systemd-udev" doesn't actually mean that it's related to systemd in any meaningful way, but rather just that they're sharing repository or something for practical reasons.

Void is the best we have right now.

the future is here

For now it's just because they are in the same repo, but they have already tried once to make udev depend on systemd with KDBUS. Luckily KDBUS was rejected by the kernel team. See lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html

Void Linux is the only Linux distro with a relatively sane init and scripts for it from the package maintainers.

Devuan pretends it has init freedom, but that's a stupid concept. Package maintainers aren't going to develop init scripts for half a dozen inits. There is a default and that's the only one getting support, which is sysv.

>To make this clear, we expect that systemd and kernels are updated in
lockstep.
>So far we had the focus to support up to 2y old kernels
>You need the userspace code to set up the bus and its policy and handle activation. That's not a trivial task.
>as soon as kdbus is merged
Wow, it's hard to believe how retarded Lennart is. I don't understand why distros are putting up with this shit. I'm so happy there are reasonable people on the kernel that reject his lunacy.

Lennart is part of the reason I hate systemd so much. He's such an asshole and he likes to implement things in a almost windows like way. Then he complains when people don't want to do things his way. He even recently posted a thing on google plus complaining about how toxic the open source community is, which is pretty ridiculous seeing as he is one of the most toxic members and most of the toxicity he sees is probably in response to his.

Done migrating, the web wouldn't load and I figured it broke my DNScrypt configuration. Other than that, everything works fine.

>Has anyone tried Artix? Looks good.
I use Artix, and it's worked pretty well for me. It's basically just Arch with a few extra repos on top to pull in nonsystemd packages.

Windows doesn't have this problem.

Yeah in Windows you can't even make the choice not to be raped.

migrating to wat?
Um... I'll probably give it a try. All systemd-free distros are quite weird.

>migrating to wat?
from systemd to sysvinit, I thought it was hard

the systemd hate will never end

Good

It would be strange if it did end, since systemd is so retarded. I can't understand why even Debian thought it would be a good idea to use it by default.

Good

they suicided ian-senpai for that

It won't stop until systemd stops being shit and pushed onto every distro.

You can thank the literal Red Hat Employees in the committee.

>Um... I'll probably give it a try. All systemd-free distros are quite weird.
It's actually easier to setup than vanilla arch since they have an ISO that comes with i3 and another one with lxqt. It defaults to openrc, but it is currently possible to run runit if you so desire. It's probably lacking some init scripts though.

Install Slackware.

why does Red Hat work so hard to push systemd?

To make money providing service/support

red hat doesn't have to push anything to other distros

you should ask your distro why they are using systemd. they will give you a laundry list of reasons.

>laundry list of reasons.
Which generally boils down to "we're too lazy to maintain init scripts." Systemd does not solve any problem nor does it do anything special.

Use Devuan Seres then. It's based on SID/Buster. Devuan Jessie is based on Debian Jessie, which is already oldstable.
Devuan Ascii is based on Debian Stretch.
Why do you care about kernel version anyway? As long as your hardware works, you don't need anything else.

>dedicated wholly to free software, gnu sponsored and fsf endorsed
>no terrible systemd or kernel bloob nonsense
>lisp (guile[scheme]) hackable on every level, entire os and all packages are just normal lisp declarations
>functional package management, roll anything back (including the entire os) to any previous [working] state, basically impossible to break beyond repair
literally everything i've ever wanted

There is. Debian still packages a lot of programs with a systemd dependency, so you won't be able to install a lot of shit.
This is why Devuan's development is so slow: they have to repackage and test a lot of shit so it works without systemd. Even then Devuan still comes with a systemd lib to fuck with udev since the only alternative, vdev, is in alpha since 2015.
Last time I tried that, I couldn't even install XFCE since it depends on systemd. The only DE that would install is MATE, so bear that in mind.

there are stage3 tarballs with systemed

XFCE can be installed on Devuan though, I'm using it right now.

hmm interesting, that's odd since I'm using XFCE; maybe the trick is exactly this? like installing Debian normally and then migrating to sysvinit? apt-get doesn't seem to tell me to uninstall anything

Not on Devuan Testing (the one based off of Debian Unstable.)
Maybe there's a new maintainer that removed the dependency, but I couldn't install it before.

I'd imagine Devaun would build XFCE with consoleskit or something.

The torrent is Jessie only. How can I install Ascii? Just adding the repo?

Yeah but the live images and all the other stage3 tarballs use OpenRC. It's the closest thing to a default init system in Gentoo.

>nor does it do anything special
Oh it does very many "special" things.

Yes. Remove/comment out the older repos, then do sudo apt update and a sudo apt full-upgrade.
Look out their wiki though, just in case there's an additional step.

>Debian still packages a lot of programs with a systemd dependency, so you won't be able to install a lot of shit.
I haven't noticed this problem on Debian. Maybe it's because I don't use Gnome or KDE, but I haven't had to refrain from installing any package because of systemd dependencies.

>I don't like how ____ is running ____
Then fork it and do a better job yourself.
Oh wait, you don't HAVE an experienced dev team, a multibillion dollar company's support, or the full faith and credit of the United States government - because (You), user, are a L O S E R.

I only said Lennart was part of the reason I hate systemd, not the whole reason. Also I have no reason to fork systemd because I don't like it technically and OpenRC is perfect for me.

They wanted to live.

New kernels are overrated imho