The absolute state of mainstream Android phones

Hello Sup Forums.

I write to you since I'd like to get enlightened of the state of mobile computing among average consumers. This comes up from my personal mostly negative experiences with Android devices.

I've got two Android devices in my life that both sported 2 GB of RAM and either 4x2.2 GHz or 8x1.3 GHz CPU which to me seems plenty considering the typical usage of mobile phones. But still I have had to experience the the true meaning of lag. I understand that 3D video games, AR etc. are computing heavy but I'd expect ordinary use such as surfing web, sending text and video messages to friends, taking photos or doing mobile payments be at least as fast as on my 7 year old laptop.

But no. With these phones I've experienced these 0.5 - 1 second lags at pretty much all activity. And actually the worst is this some sort of hibernation state where applications tend to fall way too quickly. Typical example would be that swapping between let's say Telegram, Firefox, GMail and Maps would cause one of the apps act like it's swapping (pc analogy). This happens even if the system says that only like 70 % of RAM is used.

Is it just the nature of Android to preserve battery in cost of multitasking ability by hibernating everything but the foreground action? Is it any better with high-end models with 4-6 GB memory? Even that would sound like conspiracy since as mentioned this kind of behavior happens with plenty of free memory.

Is there anything to do to smoothen the user experience without just being the stupid consumerist buying new electronic constantly? I'm suspecting that these closed roms use lot's of resources just for analyzing and reporting user behavior data to Google, even when user don't get any convenience of that.

TLDR: how to get rid of battery eating botnet and improve multitasking performance on android??

Buy a pixel phone.

get a note 8

you get what you pay for

>And actually the worst is this some sort of hibernation state where applications tend to fall way too quickly. Typical example would be that swapping between let's say Telegram, Firefox, GMail and Maps would cause one of the apps act like it's swapping (pc analogy). This happens even if the system says that only like 70 % of RAM is used.
>Is it just the nature of Android to preserve battery in cost of multitasking ability by hibernating everything but the foreground action? Is it any better with high-end models with 4-6 GB memory? Even that would sound like conspiracy since as mentioned this kind of behavior happens with plenty of free memory.
Bullshit. Android never hibernate apps, it kills them instead. Read about LMK. You probably got a faulty phone or a shit one or is just plain lying.

But shills, please. I paid for this second hand laptop only half what I paid for my phone. But it's still about 10x faster in doing pretty much anything.

If you're advice is to pay 1000 $ for a phone to overcome the expanded bloat and to browse Sup Forums I'm not that much of a goy.

What's your phone?

kys

>read about LMK
Thanks, let's see if this helps in my situation. And apologize my terminology, it might be a bit off since I'm not a developer. And a faulty phone isn't impossible, but how could I verify that? I'd suppose system updates should fix something like that?

I've got Xperia Z3 Compact and now HMD's chink Nokia 5

Actually LMK will just help you if apps are being killed too often, and modifying its values can give you a better multitasking experience on low RAM phones.

Buy a phone with a 6 series processor

Well, they are low end phones, you are getting what you paid for.

None of this has been a problem on my Google Pixel phone.

Maybe you should suck it up and just buy a good phone.

>he fell for the jewgle meme

just buy an iPhone.

I know since we are on Sup Forums you are probably one of those autistic kids that think iPhones are overpriced etc but those are just stupid rationalizations that you have created and they are keeping you from having a superior experience.

A phone is something that you use everyday, it's good to have in your have something that reliably fast and just works.

There is a reason for the fact that there more people switching from android to iPhone than the opposite. There is a reason for the fact that rich people, who can afford any phone, chose iPhones over anything else.

iPhones are more expensive but they last much longer and the benefits outweigh the price by far. They are simply the best the technology has to offer. It's pretty much impossible to buy an iPhone and regret it.

Shills please. I'm sure that earlier phone generations before Pixel have been just fine browsing FB, instant messaging etc.

Adult here and honestly I'd be fine buying an iPhone

That Nokia 5 is basically a low end 2014/5 phone (Moto G2/3) with a more recent SoC that supports big.LITTLE running the latest Android version. Of course it performs worse than most phones.

>It's pretty much impossible to buy an iPhone and regret it.
I know it's bait but... I did. I still have an 5s, it's a great phone but not what I expected. It's good for listening some music, browsing the web, making calls and social media, but it lags behind something like a Galaxy S in every other aspect. It's just useless for anything other than a normie would use a phone for, the lack of customization and "power users" features is just lame, it feels like I don't actually own a phone, but a service. I still use it as second phone for calls tho.

>lack of customization
You clearly have shitty taste because customization is always inferior to a consistent and good looking design language. This is an objective fact.

You can change icon packs and launchers on android but that only makes it even more of a inconsistent mess.

As for the other gimmicks, iPhones do literally anything you need in a smartphone.

No lag on my Galaxy S6

>inb4 shill

Customization is not all about ricing, but every other little thing.

I understand that cheap phones run slower that high end ones but it's not about that. It's about absolute performance with the said OS.

Windows (and Linux distros) run just fine with all office tier usage whether using a sub 400 € laptop or maxed out 3000 € gaming build. It can't be just the absolute performance of Snapdragon 430 since the Z3 with 801 didn't feel blazing fast either. I got to try tweaking the low memory kill limits, but if it's just that then the default values are definitely crap.

And I actually also had an iPhone for a long time but i decided not to have one again for some reason.

Please let me improve my hypothesis:
Lot's of resource hungry gimmicks are being developed so that consumers feel they need to constantly buy newer and more powerful phones. Now there's more resource overhead that can be used to do more precise analysis of the user and it's surroundings to collect even more data.

Seems like a legit conspiracy. I'd like to see some performance and other comparisons between stock android phones and ones with community developed open versions of Android.

I too had an iPhone and I can say customization is not all about ricing like said, but about every little thing you can setup on the OS, on iOS you are pretty much limited to what Apple wants.

>shit taste
Not an argument desu, doesn't even deserve an answer. If it's my phone why can't I make it looks like I want? I'm not even into ricing, since I'm still using the default launcher, but I understand those who rice.

>gimmicks
Having a locked down OS, with a restricted file system, for example, limits what you can do with the phone. You can't setup a proper FTP server and use transferred files on your apps (that limited per app data thing), you can't connect your phone through Bluetooth to any device you want (just for playing music), you can't just download songs and movies straight to your phone, since it needs iTunes intervention to store everything properly, there is basically no FOSS apps and you are limited to the App Store, meaning you can't install shit outside the store and so on.

>responding to bait seriously

>The absolute state of mainstream Android phones in October of 2017

>video looks like garbage

No thanks, I'd rather wait a minute longer.

Probably slow internal memeory

>you can't just download songs and movies straight to your phone, since it needs iTunes intervention to store everything properly
Simply not true.
You are quite ignorant. There are several apps just for moving files onto and off the iPhone. Playing them on a variety of apps is also not an issue.

Stop playing dumb, you just can't use a mp3 downloaded with lets say, Dropbox on the default player. You have to rely on shitty built-in players to play your shit.