What are my options for running Linux permanently off a USB?

What are my options for running Linux permanently off a USB?

I ask because: last night my late 2013 rMBP suddenly black-screened while running. Reboot, and find it doesn't see the internal SSD at all. Neither does Linux (live USB).

Taking it to Apple tomorrow. I'm hoping it's a hardware failure with just the SSD; if so I'll replace with a new one. But if it turns out it's some problem with the controller/logic board then I'm totally SOL: computer is too nice to replace, but too old and costly to fix something like that.

If that's the case I'll just use it with Linux off a USB, as I'm doing now (AFAIK it's not possible to run OSX off an external drive). Is there any trick to installing Linux (Ubuntu) to an external disk and having it be persistent? (currently just using live USB).

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I know kali linux's persistent usbs are pretty good.

Oh and its also dead easy to setup, you literally just make a second partion with a textfile in it and it automatically fused upon next boot

>Kali
The idea would be to use this as a main OS. Kali is for pentesting afaik.

I remember runing Linux Mint + Persistent shit from an old Gatweay with Celeron & 1GB RAM.

Something Debian Based must run be fine on your machine.

> Mint/Ubuntu just because it werks
Or if you are a neet, go for something like Arch or Gentoo

All you need are two USB sticks, one to put the installer on and one for your storage. Plug them both in, boot from installer and install Ubuntu/Debian/Anything else to the other USB stick. It's that simple.

>make live USB flash drive
>boot from it
>plug in empty flash that you want the system on
>while still live booted, select the empty second flash drive
>install system to it
>it'll act like a really slow hark disk with a full system on it
>profit?

you'll get lots of hickups and freezings.

Get a small SSD and purchase a SATA/USB3 adapter. It's will be much more stable and faster.

Or if you have some coins in excess, a msata SSD with a small enclosure. They are even smaller.

Also multi partitions are easier on a SSD.

I managed to restore a Time Machine backup to an external USB3 spinny drive. It boots but is GLACIALLY slow.

The only USB3 thumb drive I have is 32GB, but I assume is too small for OSX.

Anyone ever heard of an SSD failing suddenly and completely like this? I'm really hoping it's just the SSD and not the (irreplaceable) motherboard

I remember not too long ago tinkering around with the TAILS disto and there was an option for persistent storage...it's almost improbable not to be able to create persistent storage through a different distro such as ubuntu, debian, etc. Try this link:

wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

...looks like because they're a proprietary design a replacement (internal) SSD for this Macbook will cost about $300 for 240GB (ocw). FML.

Sierra can be booted from an external drive. Hold alt key during boot up and select the disk you wanna boot from

Yeah I managed to boot from a High Sierra restore (APFS no less), but the external WD USB3 drive seems to be topping out at like 5mb/s so it's horrific. Not sure why it's so slow: I assume because of all the random read/writes.

Wait? People don't normaly do this?

I'll not lie to you. Persistent USB sucks.
It's slow, it will have hiccups and stumbles. There's a fair chance that you'll have FS corruption.
But it's possible to use it.

Yeah, if I'm stuck with the system with no internal SSD I'll probably have to shell out for a Thunderbolt external SSD. Don't even want to look up what that will cost.

Aliexpress my friend

The chinks don't make thunderbolt anything.

Not sure if there's any advantage to running off TB than USB3 really though.

assuming it has the same problem as the 2012 you need to replace the ribbon cable that connects the HDD to the mobo.
thanks to apples amazing build "quality" it rubs on the rough aluminium and shorts.
you can get them for like £12 or some shit on ebay

is puppy linux still a thing?
running persistently through usb was the whole point of it

I don't think there's any cable, looks like the SSD snaps directly to the board (haven't opened mine because I don't have tiny torx, but have looked at pics).

ah, unlucky, yer just fucked then.

>haven't opened mine
Well, I have and you're right. There is no cable.
The fuckwit troll above is out of his cage again.

If it turns out it's the board it's probably still fixable by someone who does that sorta' thing, but probably not worth the trouble and expense.

>AFAIK it's not possible to run OSX off an external drive)

Yes it is.

If it comes to that as a permanent solution I'll get pic related.

Real drawback is I'll be done to one fucking USB port.