Signal desktop client now available

signal.org/blog/standalone-signal-desktop/

git on it faggits

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/koush/electron-chrome
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Let's install a botnet software guys!

>(you)

Please stop spewing this walled garden shit. I don't care if it is actually decent encryption, we don't need walled gardens.

For anybody that actually cares, matrix is incredible. The main client is Riot.im but anybody can write a client for it. Nheko is an up and coming client written in QT.

You can host your own matrix server and create accounts for your family and friends, then all of your conversations are never stored on any server except your own.

It bridges with irc, slack, SMS, and has beta bridges for Skype, discord, fucking everything.

Matrix is the platform /g should be endorsing. don't be a walled garden faggot

>SIGNAL IS LIFE

>electron
oh lawd

I'll still use wire

b...but user i don't want all of this

Same. The Wire Desktop app is really good too.

Does the faggy thing still need a phone number?

Y: die
N: still die.

I use it. It's not. It's poorly designed.

Sure buddy.

Cool. It looks like it doesn't sync messages from other devices, right?

This. Also Wire seems decent and Silence is a signal fork on F-droid.

So this is now somewhat usable. Fdroid version when? I'm not going to use botnet play and I'm too lazy to manually update their apk.

Is this just a bridge to my phone?

How so? My only complaint about Wire is that you can't "delete for everyone," multiple messages at once. Shy of that, I think the Wire desktop app is pretty decent. The phone app is way better than Signal, hands down.

How is Signal a walled garden?

He is complaining that you need to install Signal to use it. Being open source doesn't matter. What matters is federation, like XMPP.

Which one of these is the “good” one? There’s so many of them.

Telegram, Signal, Wire, WhatsApp, etc.

The one you like the most.

My preference based off what you listed is Wire>Signal. The other two are not options for at least one of the following reasons: not open source, not E2E encrypted at all times, owned by Zuckerberg.

Nice, thanks for the heads-up user!

I've been using signal for a while, happy to be able to uninstall chrome again

It is kinda poorly designed, at least the Linux version is. Pic related.

>you can't delete for everyone
you can.

How do you delete multiple messages at once?

wow that's ugly

good timing
I literally and unironically jumped ships to Wire last week
I was tired of the outdated client features in android

you cannot talk to others from your selfhosted server

Exactly.

You don't.

It'll probably take a while for wire to look good on desktop. They obviously just ported over the mobile interface without giving two shits.

>message bubbles
What app has this on PC, at all? All I know of is some chrome extension.

Discord can't resize the users field, can't delete multiple messages and didn't have a search function for a long time.

Not saying those things wouldnt be good, just saying that those things doesn't matter much. What matters is users, and for that you need obscene amounts of marketing.

>you can't delete for everyone

That's something I always hated about discord and skype. It leads to nothing but "pranks" and lies.

The best way would be to have client side delete, with optional deleting for each user if they wanted to delete when the poster deleted.

I already convinced all my friends to jump to Wire. Signal was over a year late to the party.

Besides, I don't need to give my phone number for Wire, and Wire isn't hosted in the US. I just can't see a reason to switch back, let alone a reason to ask all my friends to switch.

>What app has this on PC, at all?
Signal app has bubbles. Wire doesn't.

>message bubbles
It's a good design choice because it would be easier on your eye to focus on the most relevant part of the screen and very quickly figure out who sent what especially in a clusterfuck of messages. It's obviously not a priority but still something they should add.

And yeah, discord also has a terrible desktop client.

>at least the Linux version is
It's an electron piece of shit

Works exactly the same on windows and mac

>The best way would be to have client side delete, with optional deleting for each user if they wanted to delete when the poster deleted.
I'm more worried about my ability to make things private than I am about falling for a prank. The one thing I like about Signal over Wire is that you can make messages self-delete after a certain time (I think 12 hours is plenty of time before deletion, as I can message someone right when they lay down to go to sleep, and rest assured they will still have several hours to see it after waking up).

>The one thing I like about Signal over Wire is that you can make messages self-delete after a certain time
But Wire has them too.

Yes. You just have to manually select it every time you want it to delete. Whereas with Signal, you can manually set every message to delete after 12 hours, instead of having to do it every time.

What is the dumbest phone that can run signal?

a smartphone

>You just have to manually select it every time you want it to delete.
What?

It sucks that Matrix doesn't have a fully-featured client that isn't some material design shiny hipster shit. Isn't Riot, which is fucking web-based, the reference client?

>not using good ol' IRC with SSL

This

But IRC isn't good for being in contact with your friends or whatnot, it's more of a meeting place protocol. IRCv3 seems interesting though since it's basically like Matrix but based upon IRC.

In that case IRL the better protocol.

standalone as in they just took the chrome thing and shoved it inside the exe, like everybody does these days?
>steam
>wire

The fuck are you talking about

Silence is an SMS/MMS app

Riot.im seems good on mobile. I could care less about material design.

>chrome
You mean electron

Electron is chrome.
It works by literally having chrome redering and processing your stuff

>You mean electron
github.com/koush/electron-chrome
didn't know about that
thanks for the info

I doubt steam is using that since forever, but who knows

self deleting messages
how can your prevent your recipient from saving them

>mobile

there are tons of clients being developed rn for matrix, they even have them displayed on their site

KEK

But the only one that is fully featured is Riot. The rest of them are in Alpha state. The best one I found is Quaternion, and you can't upload images in it for some reason, even though it can display them.

I want a Matrix client that works sorta like Psi.

>Nheko
>The motivation behind the project is to provide a native desktop app for Matrix that feels more like a mainstream chat app (Riot, Telegram etc) and less like an IRC client.
>mainstream chat app
>app
DROPPED

No, chrome is electron.

We say mobile in my area, not phone/smartphone.

That's not the point you faggot.

Does it support webm?

What is? I don't follow the Facebook 'culture' so I wouldn't know what it refers to.
If you're referring to the first part then, I agree that electron is RAM eating garbage.

Wire is not private read tos.

"SIMPLE"

VP9 & Opus over ZRTP + OTR over IM

Why force people to use shitware when we already have these perfect things available already?

Doesn't really matter anymore since it has an in-app updater for some time now.

>You can host your own matrix server and create accounts for your family and friends, then all of your conversations are never stored on any server except your own.
Considering you use end to end encyption, why would this matter?

No one cares about the encrypted content. Metadata are more important, third party server relaying too.

Fuck right off. This shit was solved by mumble years ago. Matrix is just the meme of the week.

no

because it need to be integrated.

How do I even signup for wire?

Nice argument.
Its great to see that newfags still feel the need to shill shit memes that try to solve problems that haven't existed for years.