Is this good for teaching yourself computer science?

Is this good for teaching yourself computer science?

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/abs/1710.04045
quattro.phys.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp/dmrg/condmat.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, just use the PC you started this pointless thread with.

Im on a phone

What shithole did you crawl out of where all you can afford is a raspberry pi? Buy a used thinkpad you street shitter

Build a desktop , that's a great learning experience, just in general not necessarily computer science

No, "computer" "science" has shitall to do with low-level shit that actually requires expertise
CS is what brainlets that can't comprehend math and want nothing to do with anything physical choose so they can still feel part of STEM

>lol complex analysis is too hard
>lol i hate physics, i'll only take my freshman physics classes as a senior
>lol i want nothing to do with bioinformatics, it relates too much to biology
>i want to be a researcher in theoretical CS and machine learning or something :^)
just strike me down christ

No, but it's great for fucking around with things that need a dedicated Linux machine because it's so tiny/cheap/low wattage.

>not using pi-hole to block all ads before they even need to get downloaded

For someone under 18

Built my first at around 13/14, and now I'm 31. Good times.

No. It's just a regular computer in a very small form factor.

Get an Arduino.

>PCs to learn computer science
Yeah if you are buying a computer from the 90s maybe.
Current computers are a fucking disaster if you are wanting to learn hardware internals and shit.

Yes, OP, it is fine.
Arduino is also another good one for intro to computer hardware.

Make sure to get plenty of guides on how to make practical examples and not just pure theory bullshit.
Stuff like wireless walkie-talkies, temperature sensors, a NV camera that saves to cloud, etc.
There is a fuckton of stuff out there to get started and all the way to more advanced stuff that deals with more basic components, analog circuits and custom ICs, FPGAs and those areas.

Jesus that's quite specific, did you have someone in mind?

>Is this good for teaching yourself computer science?
The good thing about these is that they have a large community, and a fuckhueg amount of compatable software with copy-paste howto instructions.

>Current computers are a fucking disaster if you are wanting to learn hardware internals and shit.

They're fine you just need a magnifier.

No, not really. But they are quite useful.

I have a few of them that I got for free. You can use them to do all sorts of neat stuff. I use a cluster of four of them running OpenBSD as a home server for NAS for backups. I also have one that I use specifically for flashing the ROMs on my laptops and desktops to install Libreboot, Coreboot, and ME cleaner. I have three of them that are collecting dust and I've thought about making a little laptop out of one of them for fun. I guess I'd keep the others as replacements in case the others break.

I can understand using the raspberry pi's for rom flashing, or specific use cases that isn't really fit for a large computer, but for computer type use case why settly for a raspberry pi when more powerful computers can be had for cheaper than a pi? Is it the power consumption, or size that makes them alluring?

He said it was a great learning experience, not that it was fucking rocket science. I didn't get around to building a PC until I was 25, and I'm happy that I did. It's nice to pick up a new hobby.

it's a shitty computer with dubiously documented features.

I'm trying hard to unfuck whatever dog shit the raspberry pi commitee of broadshills made to make it usable on fedora.

fuck this piece of shit.

only buy this thing if you
a) are ok with using raspian
b) no fucking clue what you want to do but want to do hacky bullshit with serial attached crap

otherwise don't bother.

building a pc is hardly a hobby when you do it once every few months at the most

1. Install Linux
2. Install all the free compilers and scripting languages and IDEs and text editors that you could possibly want
3. Start typing, compiling, and debugging
4. Read
5. Code some more
6. GoTo 4

You're welcome.

>Is this good for teaching yourself computer science?
It good for teaching you how to use Linux. Specifically Debian-derived distros.

Choosing and installing an operating system is also something you don't do very often, and look how much Sup Forums has to say about that.

No better than anything you already have. It can be helpful for learning some more basic engineering stuff, though. I've only ever seen these used in schools as part of larger projects to. i.e. programming a train and rail road crossing on a track hooked up to an arduino. If If you mean programming and not computer science, you're probably fine with whatever you made this thread with.

>comp sci doesn't intersect with other sciences
>implying quantum physicists investigating many body quantum states aren't losing their shit over restricted boltzmann machines right now because of their parallels to the matrix product state ansatz
>implying that doesn't mean machine learning has very obvious and real implications for the material sciences
I can even link you to the papers. Stop being sour over shit you don't understand.

Not that guy, but can you link me the papers just anyway?

arxiv.org/abs/1710.04045
And you can find more here, just search for neural network quantum states:
quattro.phys.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp/dmrg/condmat.html

Thanks

RBMs are already borrowed from statistical mechanics, brainlet

It's fun for baby's first dev ops

>Is it the power consumption, or size that makes them alluring?
Both, as well as the teeny tiny amount of heat they put out. They don't need fans or even heat sinks at all with normal use which also makes them silent. So I have small and quiet yet capable computers that are reasonably priced and don't suck up lots of power. They're bretty gud.

Which only proves my point about the fields intersecting further? Curb your retardation please

sounds like me desu

see At best you'd learn basic Linux use. More than likely you'll get bored of it and shove it in the drawer because Pis are unsightly, gutless toys.
>"building" a PC
>hobby
It's just mindless consumption. You read essay-length advertisements on tech shill sites and logical increments for like 20 minutes, click "buy", then you screw some shit in and go back to playing shitty video games and wasting away in front of YouTube. It doesn't teach you shit, it doesn't get you anywhere. You don't learn about how a computer works by consuming the latest GayMD Ryzen Gameripper 1900XXX or spending a long, hard 10 minutes deciding whether to splurge on a GPU or get something cheaper and spend the money on an LED-encrusted mechanical keyboard instead.

There's nothing to learn, either. Just look at fucking Sup Forums, it's mostly just retards spitting out marketing buzzwords at each other trying to pretend to be tech savvy.

If you wanna learn the basic of the basic,get a pic and write shit in assembly. Pics are cheap as dirt and simple, but you'll get a good grasp on what happens inside a computer.

nope, but it's great to sit in the drawer collecting dust

>concepts developed by physicists using physics constructs are utilized in physics as well as machine learning and cognitive science
>therefore the average cs undergrad must be passionate about actual scientific disciplines
Yeah, nice point you have there.