First time ever installing linux and I already have an error

Yes, my laptop has a nvidia gpu, does anyone know a fix?

The GPU driver doesn't support that card. You have to install with the nomodeset kernel parameter and then install the nvidia proprietary driver.

>does anyone know a fix?
Uninstall Linux and install windows.

>he fell for the 'linux, it just werks!' meme
lmao at ur life rn

Install Gentoo

Nvidia's intentionally crippled their drivers on linux to force you to use windows

Don't try to use linux with nvidia hardware. Stick with AMD

I want to lick your dainty hands

what is the "nomodeset kerne parameter"?

Do i have to put that here? if so where exactly

the line that starts with linux, i would put it after "quiet splash"

what do u mean by "quiet splash" is that something obvious? god why am I so retarded...

Just put a red line in the image or something please

Like this

I have never understood why would anyone waste their gpu on a Linux OS or Mac for that matter. The only real implementation and renderer engine that works is on windows

not sure what shit distro you're using but try antergos

it shows linux mint on his grub menu

try reading

nvidia is pretty much windows only and selected OS X versions.

believe me, been there, done that. Don't believe anyone saying otherwise, either they don't know (yet), they are trolls or they are shills.

it works if you install the driver

just dont game on it

fuck off

I use my gpu for blender mainly. As for gaming I like retro or anime graphics like age of empires 2 and naruto storm so It will not be a problem... right?

nice thumbnail faggot

Nice nails faggot

HOLY SHOT I just went through this last week with Mint and NVIDIA.
You're fucked. I'm apprentice level in computer fuckery and ended up having to reinstall Windows after 2 weeks of staring at a grub terminal with tears in my eyes.
I'm so sorry user

>nvidia
nVidia support sucks out of the box. You should buy laptops which come preloaded with Linux (System76 and Dell).
This . There's an easy guide online for this.

Their proprietary drivers perform just as good on both windows and Linux.

holy fuck will everyone stop freaking out

when you install make sure to tick the box that says "install proprietary drivers and software"

none of this shit would happen, coming from the person using the latest mint and a 1070 ftw

Ok, then I will first reinstall it , check that box and see what happens

thanks user!

The primary issue with nvidia driver support isn't the quality of the driver. The proprietary driver is actually quite good and performs well. The real problem is nvidia and their unwillingness to support open source mesa developers. This means that the only way to move forward nouveau, the mesa implementation for nvidia, the devs have to reverse engineer the card and use limiited and poor documentation of the GPUs. This means that on many new cards, the nouveau driver simply does not work. Because of this, there is no functioning mainline driver for the kernel to use for the card as the proprietary nvidia driver cannot be supported by open source devs. AMD and intel actually support the open source development of drivers for their hardware, this means that the out of box experience for them is excellent as a result. It would be of great benefit to nvidia to do the same, why they don't is probably due to some patent issues or something.

There's a checkbox you can use post install that accomplishes the same thing.

no problem newfag

I had this problem on my laptop a few years ago, pretty sure it was because of switchable graphics, and I bet a desktop graphics card probably works fine without any issues.

thanks for the reply to my comment but the reason I said dont game on it is because of other imperfections in the operating system that make the games unstable. For example I couldnt even play TF2 on my badass desktop because of some problem with ram drivers

I understand where you're coming from sort of. I couldn't play TF2 on my 290x right after flgrx got discontinued, the game would just crash randomly on the open source driver, even on wine, and the microstutter was terrible. I ended up getting an GTX 950 and my problems went away. And the open source radeon driver has gotten much better in my absence. However, computers are very complex and possible differing configurations are vast. I have never heard of a ram driver issue before, and while it may have been an actual issue, I don't like when a whole system is condemned to a problem existing on a miniscule number of systems or due to a specific configuration. This issue it not confined to just linux or windows, it is a trope used by tribal fanboys to fight for their camp vs the other with no real reason behind it. The fact that TF2 works in linux on my computer should not invalidate the fact that TF2 does not run in linux on your computer, also consider however that TF2 not working on your computer does not invalidate the fact that TF2 DOES work on my computer.

Excellent!

guys, its fixed! thank you.
now another little question: what's the equivalent of the command windows button + L on mint

windows button T, you can set it to whatever the fuck you want in your keybind options.

Nvidia tegra androids (android is based on linux) don't get updates because of the same reasons

Only marketingbabbies fall for nvidia tech nowadays. Sad but true.

Back in 2012 it was literally the other way around. AMD had the worst drivers/if any, and the free ones where shit. Nvidia had decent drivers and the nouveau was unusable, now at least for basic shit the're alright
The fedora wiki literally said "if you use AMD use the shitty free drivers or get Nvidia".
Hows thing change.
Anways, stopped caring when I got a t410 with intel gpu

Interestingly the opensource amd drivers are better than the proprietary ones on new versions

the proprietary nvidia driver update broke my arch yesterday. didn't bother duct taping with the wiki, just reinstalled it and noveau is working just fine for now.

Should i use that microcode?

I think its proprietary, depends if that matters to you. It never did anything for me.

another question then... where is the intel hd graphics settings. I wanna change my display color balance and gamma (that was what i used on windows)

You can do that in the nvidia settings if you're using an nvidia card. Otherwise I don't know of a way. There are a few things that can do it but all seem to have limitations. There are programs like redshift and xgamma, but I don't know if they fit the bill.

>heal cut by applying cancer to the given area

you probably have the same bug I do
did you link the libglx.so from /usr/lib/nvidia/xorg to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions ?

What a load of shit lmao

To try you can use the GRUB bootloader to modify the kernel parameters on boot temporarily. You should see GRUB when booting off your install media.

I could probably tell you more if you showed me the complete specs and the model of the machine, as well as the name and version of the OS you're trying to install. Fedora or Ubuntu are your best bets for a "just werks" experience out of the box. If you try to install some obscure shit like BunsenLabs you'll have bad driver support on anything newer than 5 years old.

You might as well. You're already using non-free software anyways.

I'm op, what non free software am I using? the nvidia drivers?. Also I already fixed mint thanks to what said

This, and purge nvdia drivers before installing the new ones.

>42 posts because linux won't accept a common gpu

Goddamn. What is this poor fucker going to do when he tries to get flash to work on his browser?

Intel Management Engine botnet firmware is the worst of it and you're also using non-free GPU firmware.

I strongly recommend ME Cleaner to strip down the ME firmware to remove DMA and networking capabilities from it.

Yeah because Pixar uses windows over osx/unix/Linux

Not OP, but was this ME Cleaner utility released recently? I've got an I7 2600 and I want to remove the ME functionality, I heard the NSA disclosed some information to disable ME by flipping a bit.

Is this ME Cleaner based off that?

could you explain what "ME Cleaner" and "ME firmware" is and how should I proceed to do what you are saying?

lmao kys cuck.

>Nvidia's intentionally crippled their drivers on linux to force you to use windows
So does AMD. The only difference now is that the open source AMD drivers are better than what AMD releases, so there isn't a point to use AMD's version of the drivers anymore.
Nvidia's gpus including the 900 series, and newer need signed firmware, so the open source drivers got fucked, but their proprietary drivers are good once you get them to work.

>I heard the NSA disclosed some information
Lolno, it was leaked.

>Is this ME Cleaner based off that?
No but it has support for it on some chipsets. It's called the HAP (high assurance platform) bit. It's used by the CIA/NSA niggers because they're too good for botnet in their own machines.

The ME firmware is highly modular to allow flexibility for board manufacturers. You can use this to your advantage by gutting the ME of harmful modules so that it's only doing hardware init and power management (in the form of the 30 minute watchdog).

The most important modules are the BUP (low level hardware init) KERN or KERNEL (scheduler, loads other modules) and POL or POLICY (high level hardware init). ME Cleaner strips out the NFTP module which is what allows the ME to hook into your OS network stacks or set up its own in memory. You can strip it all the way down to just the BUP module which does CPU core init and basic memory allocation and the power management I mentioned earlier. Some chipsets include ROMP which is a harmless module that starts the BUP for added security.

Well, see above. But to use it you disassemble your machine and hook an SPI clip to the BIOS ROM chip. That chip is EEPROM that holds the BIOS/EFI firmware as well as the Intel ME firmware. So what you do is use the SPI clip and a Linux dev board with GPIO pins like a Raspberry Pi to run the flashrom utility to interface with the BIOS chip. You can dump the ROM and you'll get a binary that contains everything on the ROM. You then run ME Cleaner on the dumped image and you'll get a modified binary that you can flash back to the BIOS chip. It sounds hard but it's really not and if you mess it up you can just restore to the original binary you dumped before.

>he fell for the linux meme
topkek

Clip your nails you disgusting degenerate.

/thread

Maybe OP is a tranny.

>it's not hard

in practice no, but god help you with clip positioning.

>nvidia is bad on linux
nvidia linux drivers are the best, noveau is just crap gnu drivers.

I want to try this so bad but I don't have the SPI clip, guess it's gonna have to wait a few months

Why is that? It's pretty easy for me.

They're pretty cheap.

because shitty clip? I don't know. I had issues dumping and flashing with mine.

had to reposition it like 4 times.

>because shitty clip?
Probably.

I get an error regarding my laptop's bluetooth radio whenever I start up debian on it. is there a way to just make it hush warnings like that? I don't even use bluetooth

Unplug the module internally because Bluetooth is a security risk as shown by recent exploits. There's a reason why OpenBSD stripped the whole stack for it several versions ago.

Did you cheap out and not just buy the 3M clip the first time?

AMD themself writes the open source drivers you dumbo.