/wt/

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:

youtube.com/watch?v=zARTbCY_j5Y

>Strap Guide:

pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials 102:

pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-h1CN_SHEr4
watchmandan.com/orient_movements.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Help me out watchmaker anons. My watch recently has been running short of its power reserve, it is an ETA2824 TOP grade. I have also noticed that when it goes out of power it stops at the same time everyday. Not only that, when it does stop, the second hand is DIRECTLY above the minute hand. Any idea on whats causing this? Otherwise watch runs fine.

Does it make it past that time once per day?

Why did Seiko kill the SARG line?

Idea for thread discussion:

Micro bearings (e.g. as used in Damasko A35)
vs
traditional jeweled bearings

pros and cons of each

Undoubtedly sales.

Hey /wt/, recommend me a ladies watch! Price range is around 90 bucks, needs to be water resistant, analog, steel band and a good bang for the buck I guess. One user recommended seiko 5, they look kinda boring for her but still. Something more 'interesting'?

It will yes, it appears to only be happening at night in most situations, for example, right now it stopped at 10:46 but the date didnt change to the 1st. Still 31st. If I wound it now it would go past 10:46 at night tonight.

Check out Citizen as well.

I bought my girlfriend a vostok ladies watch that is really nice for the price. Seiko 5's are a good choice for males but the smaller movement in the ladies versions exhibits a host of reliability issues.

That is so strange i honestly have no idea m8. You'll have to wait for someone more knowledgeable to show up.

There are 'exciting' 5's as well, there's just a lot of options.

It sounds like there isn't enough torque in the gear train and the additional work of starting to advance the date is causing it to stop. When was it last serviced? It may just need a cleaning.

Find a Fossil outlet near you and let her try on a bunch of stuff, and let her decide. Going to a watch store and trying on everything is a great experience for anybody to have, and she will be alot more confident that she got the right watch because she picked it out after having tons of choices. They can fit it and engrave the back if you are into that and the best thing is it usually only set you back like $40-50. Sure the watch is absolute dogshit, but it doesn't matter because shes a dumb slut and has no taste anyways.

I am such an idiot i forgot how the date change mechanism works.

youtube.com/watch?v=-h1CN_SHEr4

Here's were it stopped last. Just hand wound it around 60 turns (I guess they're closer to half turns) so we'll see where it stops next.
Watch is less than a year old unfortunately. The only thing I did was drop it 4 feet onto solid tile floor but other than that I have no idea what could've caused this.

the ew1170-51x is nice imo. i got one for my girl.

wow never seen that before. Maybe there is some sort of debris or broken part lodged on the date mechanism?
Def need to take it to a watch maker and stop using it until its fixed or you could fuck it up more.

Drops like that can really fuck up mechanical movements.

Alright thanks.

That sounds like an autistic enough subject to interest me. I'll look into it later and see if there is any good info out there on the subject.

if you don't care about quartz check out casio

This watch should be 38mm not 42mm. Anyways, one of my favorite.

Literally the only reason i don't own an orient is the size. I would even prefer 36mm no day no day no date and no lume.

It appears you are a wristlet

also those hands are too small and the lugs wtf

The orient bambino would be literally perfect if it were 36 or 38mm.

None of there dress watches from a glance have the correct hand length.

hey guys just picked up this baby. hows it look?

Every time somebody says 38mm is too small for the current year they always respond with images such as the one you posted depicting comically large watches. The truth is that contemporary dress watches are typically 40-42mm. Sport watches are usually between 42-44mm.

It's okay that you like smaller watches, even thought most people now would probably consider them dated or maybe antiquated is a nicer way of putting it. To each their own I guess.

Where's a good place to buy nato straps? I got chinked buying one on amazon

If only there was some sort of strap guide somewhere I could look at.

your post does not make sense

Cheapestnatostraps is pretty decent, even if pretty much 90% of their stock can be found on Aliexpress for less and even if they're Swedecucks. Plus they throw a 15% "welcomeback" discount at you every other time you don't finish your order.

Owned by Citizen Japan:
Citizen, Campanola, Q&Q, Arnold & Son, Bulova, Bulova Accutron II, Bulova AccuSwiss, Wittnauer, Caravelle New York, Bulova Clocks, Frank Lloyd Wright*, Harley-Davidson*, Frédérique Constant, Alpina, Ateliers de Monaco

Owned by Swatch Switzerland:
Breguet, Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Harry Winston, Jaquet Droz, Omega, Léon Hatot, Longines, Rado, Union Glashütte, Tissot, Calvin Klein, Balmain, Certina, Mido, Hamilton, Swatch, Flik Flak

Owned by Richemont South Africa:
Vacheron Constantin, A. Lange & Söhne, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Roger Dubuis, Piaget, IWC Schaffhausen, Officine Panerai, Ralph Lauren**, Baume & Mercier, Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels, Montblanc, Dunhill

Owned by Seiko Japan:
Seiko, Grand Seiko, Credor, Pulsar, Lorus, Alba, Orient

honestly amazes me that Panershit and Vacheron Constantin are both owned by the same people

>panerai and MontBlanc both owned by Niggergroup south africa
No wonder they are such niggers.

>Sinns are known for their durability yet the hands couldn't handle a drop onto the ground and are now clipping one another
Luxury is, and always will be, a meme.

>farraris are know for their speed but if i crash one into a wall at 200mph it wont go fast anymore
Hmmmmm.

watch repair anons, what is the typical crystal deflection on a dry pressure test? Can I make a diy proofmaster with this (resolution ~2um)?

At 5 bar it can be something like 30-70um with a flat mineral crystal, 30um or less with divers. Amphibias and Super Compressors go well above 100um sometimes even 200um while remaining airtight.

Few setups can do more than 5 bar, with 10 bar being the maximum pressure of a tester an independent watchmaker would own.

Also dry pressure testers work by looking out for pressure equalization. If the rate of deflection of the crystal suddenly drops, or does not go up at all it means the pressure of inside the watch case is equalizing with the chamber pressure, i.e. the case is leaking.

new watch today

Thanks. Think all I should need is a deflection sensor, chamber, pump, and stand. Sounds like this sensor should be sensitive enough.

Just don't blow yourself up m8.

looks gr8 m8, wot ref?

one of the few nice seikos good choice user

sarx047

are you gonna replace the crown or does that two tone not look as bad in person? In fact can you take a shot of it on your watch in those lighting conditions so i can see what it looks like again? Thanks in advance user.

My Raketa went flying across the room onto a tile floor when the buckle broke and I moved my arm quickly.

It keeps +10 and didn't even get a scratch

I don't care what anyone says i love my slavshit and ill never give it up.

I've got no problem with a 42mm watch, but no proper dress watch should be that big. It would look like a dinner plate.

With a diver it's fine since they are meant to be durable and have a bezel and thick case, so the dial is still reasonably sized.

40 is on the fringe for me. Personally, with a 6.75" wrist, 38 feels like the perfect modern watch (though I have a 35 dress and 41 diver that I wear on rotation).

Also, I understand that some people simply have large wrists, and I'm sure a 42mm makes more sense there, but the average wrist size is no where near 8"

What is the reference on this Amphibia? It doesn't sau on eBay and handbok is completely in blyat

I have 7 inch wrists i go to school, the gym, work, and hang out with friends. I see maybe one or two guys at the gym that have 8 inch wrists and i saw one guy at a Halloween party with a massive frame and wrists. I highly doubt half of wt has wrists of a reasonable size to be rocking 42mm watches. You can't fix taste user just let them walk around looking like idiots.

It was my first proper watch. I'll probably recase it when the chrome starts to fall off. I don't really care for that sort of look (though I would never polish my steel watches)

thats a custom 420 and it looks like someone did it at home. You should not buy that

Its a mod. You could still go for it, since it's not Franken, it's just got aftermarket parts. However, it's not original (but neither is mine)

its the 5h1T model.

look at the lume application on the hands that's slav shitter workshop status
I had meranom put custom hands on my watch and the lume looks really good.

kek

It's because of the photo angle. Also you need a glasses.

don't listen to that guy hes insecure. You are not a wristlet those watches are just big. I almost fucking bought one anyway because they are so fucking nice for the price. How is the movement on yours?

>same people

Person. Afrikaner Johann Rupert who's family made their fortune from HUGE tax free loans from the Apartheid South African government.

The lugs are too long making it look too big for you.

On closer inspection, yes, thats fucking shit

This site really helpful for you if you're thinking to buy an Orient. watchmandan.com/orient_movements.htm
The movement of this watch is caliber 46E. Weekend above and date below. It's a good movement though but not magnetic and shock friendly.

Whatever.

>watchmandan.com/orient_movements.htm
cheers m8

Is there any webpage for Orient watches like the Seiko 5 Finder one?

pobeda movement a cool

>fanned out hand to show hand size
He means the watch hands don't reach the markers not something about your hand size. The second and minute hands don't reach near the minute track and the hour hand doesn't reach close to the hour markers. It indicates either bad dial/hand design or that the movement isn't strong enough to drive large enough hands while also indexing correctly.

nice lol. got me for a min

>want an amphibia
>am a wristlet
what do?

could this be the BEST digital watch ever created?

420 or 960 case are good.

Received my first Casio today.

mines soaking in oil right now

I like the radio room but they look giant.

Call the police immediately!! You might get sentenced because of Kidnapping!
Ugly watch btw.

>960
i have a 960 case right here

It's not the worst. In person the focal point is definitely not the crown so you don't notice it

can you take one head on when you get a chance ive never seen what it looks like either.

Very nice.

>wears a dive watch
>has never been scuba diving once in his life
I really hope this isnt any of you

thats not bad at all. That watch is fucking fantastic user congratulations.

I'm diving in pussy son

It's a good thing that most people actually wear sport watches and not dive watches then.

I free dive does that count?

hands are probably touching. at full wind it is probably strong enough to power through the hands rubbing each other, but at lower power it isn't. At that certain time the hands might just barely touch each other.

hold the watch sideways and see if the hands are touching at the time it stops, if yes, then send it somewhere to get the hands aligned.

I snorkel, boat, and swim in pools and the ocean and i wear a watch that can handle it. So yeah i wear a fucking dive watch when i do those things. Day to day i wear a sports watch and at night i wear a dress watch.

>wears running shoes
>doesn't run

>wears Vans
>doesn't skate

>wears joggers
>doesn't jog

>wears a beanie
>it's not cold

>wears sunglasses
>it's not sunny

You seem like the type of guy who has 7 of the same pair of pants. Can I not wear my sport watch to work now because I don't play football for a living? Stop worrying so much about what other people wear. I'll wear whatever the fuck I feel like wearing that day.

For fucks sake please tell me you didn't buy the no bracelet version!

Nope.

My reasoning was:
>I need at least one leather band watch and it is a pretty nice band
>All the other watches I plan to buy in the future have or have an option for a metal bracelet that is equal or higher quality
>The dial is unique and also my favorite color (metal band one is navy blue)

nah that omega meme watch is far superior.

>Do less printing on the glass
>Costs about $15-$16 more
What the hell.

>Any Omega
>Superior to an A. Lange & Sohne

The a158 wins both omega and lange hands down.
Its more durable, has more features, more accurate and a hell of a lot cheaper.

its not more accurate than the omega. the als is not even a fucking digital watch.