/pcbg/ PC building

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/ (Seach 'Intel')

====

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous: >>no previous because on mobile , I told you fags to make it and you didn't listen quickly enough

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B06XSQ5QN8/
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=188
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/7Y6B2R
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/8jX2hq
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

this case was my other consideration but I decided to go for something smaller

First for stop building Ryzen rigs its shit.

What is the lowest underclock/undervolt that can be done on modern motherboards? I want to lower the speed/volt of whatever CPU I get to draw the smallest necessary amount of power.

Why?

Will there every be a half-decent looking mid-tower? how far out from the next generation of cases?

asking again cos new thread.

Do i go with the vega 56 or the 1070ti, i have a 144hz 1440p monitor with freesync. Both are similarly priced in my country. Looking to run everything above 60fps at 1440p.

Just curious really, but I like the idea of not destroying the planet I want to live on for another few decades hopefully.
Boomers have done enough to make sure that my kind of thinking will not only be an absolute necessity, but even with it we still may be fucked anyway.

1070ti, aib vegas are nowhere to be seen

1070 ti.

I've been thinking about upgrading my RAM and GPU but I've also been thinking about building a new rig entirely.
If I build a new one I'd want to build a small form factor, would be nice to have something that isn't a giant box next to me.

Or, upgrading to either a 1070 and better RAM but I'm not sure my mobo will utilize with newer GPUs.

Thoughts?

I love my Ryzen!

no u dont

Nah, get an 8700k.

Amd is shit dont buy their products

I love my ryzen and my vega

My friend gave me his 6600k, should i buy a new mb and the new covfe lake?

R5-1600 or i5-8400 for gaming?

Not in a huge rush so I can wait for better LGA 1511 boards; I know the Z370s suck.

You wasted your money. Vega is a loud housefire that can't even beat a 1070. Same for Ryzen.

>but.. why?

dunno about you, but 1070ti are extremely cheap here. Cheaper than 1070 for some reason. So I would get one for sure.

about to finish my ryzen build, i have a decision between 2 memory sets, both 100% ryzen compatible.
3000 C16 Dual Rank
3200 C14 Single Rank
any suggestions?

Do the AMD shills and Nvidia shill take shifts? I asked yesterday and people told me that the freesync was worth it.

>not a true 4k
Agreed, but it looks pretty good nonetheless

>because cpu cores are complete garbage
Correct, but interestingly as the low power / mobile "Jaguar" cores they are NOT CMT like "Bulldozer" so there are a full 8 cores, aka why streaming is possible on console.

>it holds back even downclocked polaris in new xbox at usual resolution
Interesting observation; however, consoles are for the locked 30FPS commoners, and PCs are really for the high FPS / high graphics whores of video gaming.

Certain titles like R6:S run at around 60FPS locked (if I remember correctly about that particular game), so the CPU is enough to drive high framerates as long as the draw distance doesn't eat it up. PC can get long draw distance and 60FPS, whereas console can really get one or the other. (R6:S has terrible draw distance. Look up at a hatch and the back away from it.)

>hello pc games with 30 fps on fullhd on 1080ti.
Ok but 1080Ti level power will be sold as the absolute lowest tier of graphics card. It might even be absorbed into a consumer gaming APU by the time 2022 rolls around, just in time for that backpack VR/AR PC.

If you can handle a reference cooler, Vega. Probably slightly lower performance than the 1070Ti but the Freesync outweights that consideration

Look into the Low Power versions of CPUs. AMD has some new 15W APUs that just came out.

All you really need is a new graphics card. GTX GTX 1060 / RX 580 or 1070 tier would be appropriate for you monitor and CPU.

The only game that wants more than 8GB of system RAM is BF1

The longer you wait the better (more foresight), and it sounds like you can wait

the 8400 performs 5-10% better in gaming, but the 1600 is better everywhere else, and cheaper. it has 6 more threads, a much better stock cooler, cheaper mobos, its unlocked, and you can actually buy it right now.

Its range is shit.
New features and it beats the shit out of your old one.

?????

(You)
All you really need is a new graphics card. GTX GTX 1060 / RX 580 or 1070 tier would be appropriate for you monitor and CPU.

That's what I was thinking, I figure adding another 8GB of RAM or getting better 8GB of RAM wouldn't hurt either.

>but the 1600 is better everywhere else
Citation needed. The lower clocks and IPC isn't made up for.

>uses an AMD optimized title
Good shill. Now post anything else which hasn't gotten AMD's stamp of approval.

do your own research steve

Not really worth it. Even P-state overclocking with Ryzen barely has any effect on the power draw compared to standard overclocking that leaves the CPU at max frequency all the time.

Modern Intel and AMD CPUs clock down to 800 MHz and significantly undervolt themselves and/or turn off unused parts of the cores when idle.

citation needed? go look up non-gaming benchmarks of the 8400. it consistently loses to the 1600.

Is 1440p 144hz IPS worth it?

Currently on 60hz 1680x1050 and I have the money to afford a PC with a 1080ti and an 8700k that should handle gaymen on the display relatively well but I've been stricken with an existential crisis over whether or not I can spend that much money on a computer in my right mind. Also heard loads of horror stories about IPS backlight bleed/dead pixels and people spending fucking forever RMAing monitors attempting to get an acceptable one. Is it common? Should I just wait for monitor technology to improve or something?

?????

Don't forgot Ashes of Singularity too.

doesn't count, dumbass

pretty aesthetic graph

I only play PUBG anyways.

Burden of proof.

>statement
>you're wrong
>am I?
>BURDEN OF PROOF LMAO

Does anyone know about flashing Vega 56 with 64 BIOS?
Some says it produces a lessor Vega 64 but other say it is simply an error on GPUZ or other detectors.

fair enough, but i'm not going to be the one to provide it. i've learned my lesson on Sup Forums.

BF1 doesn't run well on a 3570k. Other games do though.
I upgraded my system entirely because BF1 was unplayable on my 3570k, stutter out the ass all the time.

Nice tactic you fucking shill.

How is it "fair enough"? He refutes your claim with nothing but words then asks you to back up YOUR argument.

>he

Thoughts?

How is it "fair enough"? The retard rejects your claim with nothing but words then asks you to back up YOUR stance.

>I figure adding another 8GB of RAM or getting better 8GB of RAM wouldn't hurt either.
Maybe not, but you might want to ride out the platform with 8GBs then upgrade to a DDR4 platform when you're actually hampered your current RAM

Pretty much best case scenario for the Vega 64. Mostly it's below the GTX 1080 so far, but of course it will appear to improve relative to the 1080 over time as new games appear.

Agreed, the R5 1600 is way better at .7z than the i5 8400.

>whether or not I can spend that much money on a computer in my right mind
Cut it down to the i5 8400 and 1070Ti

>Should I just wait for monitor technology to improve
A nice monitor is expensive, but it will last a long time, way longer than the PC.
amazon.com/dp/B06XSQ5QN8/

>two HDDs
what cpu

Pretty based

I7-7700K

can I reach 3200mhz in ryzen 1600 with 4 ram sticks?

Why an 8400 and 1070Ti? Won't those significantly impact my ability to run at that resolution & framerate?

Oh disregard

Honestly not yet.

i claimed the 1600 is better than the 8400 in non-gaming use. the burden of proof is on me. i'm not going to provide it, as i've learned my lesson on Sup Forums. that's why its "fair enough".

depends on the ram. post the part #.

>range is 41 to 119
>let's use 0-200 to waste as much space as possible

CMK8GX4M2B4000C19R

Btfo

Do you have Vega 64 benchmarks?

>Maybe not, but you might want to ride out the platform with 8GBs then upgrade to a DDR4 platform when you're actually hampered your current RAM

I just checked the prices, about $140 for 16GB of DDR3... lookin kind of meh.

Where is the PSU? Is this one of those fat case?

Yeah the psu is in the back of the case

not finding anything suggesting this can reach high clocks on ryzen. have you already bought it?

I've heard quite a lot of anecdotal reports of this, but lots of people manage to successfully run the game even on an i3. Maybe your framerate is getting out of control (100+FPS = high CPU usage %) and then your CPU chokes.

Definitely not the CPU downgrade. An i5 8400 can pretty much max out all recent games at 1080p with a GTX 1080Ti. You'll be more more graphics limited at 1440p anyway whether you're using a 1080Ti or a 1070Ti, so the cheaper CPU won't hurt performance. The 1070Ti will knock down the framerate on Ultra a little bit, but you can adjust settings when you need to and a 1440p 144Hz display is going to eat graphics cards anyway. Nothing wrong with getting the 1080Ti with the i5 8500 for 1440p though.

Capped FPS still 100% CPU utilization. Tried 144, 120 and 60fps caps. Still always 100%.
I think the devs patched something into the game that broke the performance, because the game ran fine before the first DLC came out on my 3570k, but after the first DLC patch came out the game was literally unplayable.

yes, I bought a pair, it works at 3200mhz. I want to buy another pair but I read somewhere that ryzen has problems reaching high clocks with 4 sticks of ram.

>still 100% CPU utilization
Seems like a bug of some kind.

I have an X58 motherboard, an i7 950 and 12GB of DDR3 RAM.

What should I sell it for?

seems to be a common occurrence with ryzen, baseless assumptions and hearsay from blue shills

Minimizing power usage is best done by buying SoCs dedicated towards power saving.
For heavier workloads, Xeons specialize at this--when you're running a datacenter with thousands of nodes, single watts matter.
You should also consider whether your application is processor intensive and if you would accept slow runtimes over almost nil power usage. In that case, you are best suited towards a SoC developer board featuring either x86 or ARM.

not him but the 1070ti is basically a 1080 for $50 less. the jump from a 1070ti to a 1080ti is a ~15-20% performance increase for $300. Buy a good monitor, it'll last you a long a time over multiple builds. 144hz 1440p ips monitors are obscenely expensive, i bought a 144hz 1440p tn panel and am extremely happy with it.

To clarify, Xeons are a heavily fragmented product line. One such subset of the product line is dedicated to reduced power usage.

I am pretty sure, but I'm not the only person with this issue. I play Battlefield with a pretty large group of people and I noticed that as the game got more updates pretty much everyone complained about worse performance EXCEPT the three guys with 7700Ks. I went from running the beta at 120fps to running release at 100fps to running 60fps with constant stutter after the first DLC.
I don't know what DICE did with patches but with the EXACT SAME SETTINGS the game went from 100fps to 60fps with constant stutter. It got so bad after the first DLC that I stopped playing 64 player modes entirely. I had already put 300 hours by that point so I had more than ample time to test the performance.
Either way my i5 could not keep up and I had to upgrade it. I've read a few other people here on Sup Forums, even one guy who has a 7700K that posted screenshots of terrible frame pacing issues and stuttering.
It might be some sort of specific bug that affects some systems and doesn't affect others, because I also see people claiming they can play BF1 at 70fps with i3s and FX 8350s.

What's most important in a build based around using Photoshop? I'm guessing 16gb+ of memory and an ssd, but do CPU and GPU matter at all?

Mostly editing high resolution pictures but on my current system from like 2009 w/ 8gb and on a hdd I notice a bit of lack of responsiveness (like when zooming in and such) and startup times are too long.

SSD, ample (and fast!) memory. Fast CPU is more important than GPU with Photoshop.
You want a strong GPU when you're doing stuff like After Effects where you're gonna be prerendering video and stuff.
I use Photoshop a lot, with sometimes files that take up to 12 gigs of RAM and I don't think my GPU ever goes above 20% utilization.
I only have 16GB of memory so I dedicated an old SSD I wasn't using to page filing.

I have an i5 4560 with 8GB of RAM and a GTX 950.

Which would be a better upgrade a GTX 1050 or a 250GB SSD?

That helps, thanks. Is Intel or AMD better for this purpose or does it really not matter?

explain?

eBay is telling me that it'll sell fast for just under $200.

>as the game got more updates pretty much everyone complained about worse performance
Hmm, maybe the game was being updated with the 8 thread console CPUs in mind. Seems like CoD:WWII loves 8 threads (compare R3 1200 and R3 1400.. not nearly that much of a perf gap, usually)

>with the EXACT SAME SETTINGS the game went from 100fps to 60fps with constant stutter.
Sucks. R6:S got a lighting patch that resulted in worse performance. A huge visual improvement, though. The lighting in that game would literally obscure enemies.

>FX 8350
8 thread CPU, though. Between the i3 and FX 8350 I'd expect the 8350 to be smother in a game like BF1.

1050Ti at minimum. The SSD would be second to the graphics card if you're playing anything recent with 3D graphics.

is this a waste of money if i already have microfiber cloths? want somthing to clean my monitors once in a while.

Just checked, I have Photoshop installed on an SSD, takes between 8 and 12 seconds to launch the program and be ready to open a new document. I don't know how long it takes on your HDD but it does make a huge difference I'm sure.

cpu, ram, and ssd are the most important. ryzen is your best bet. what's your budget?

i've heard problems as well, and all of the official ryzen kits are 2x8/2x16. i'd return what you have. $100 for that kit is way too much. you can find a 100% compatible c14 3200 single rank kit for less, or a c16 3000 dual rank kit for even less. both are going to be much faster than your current kit.

what kind of temp should I be aiming for on my gpu under load? (1080 ti)

Do y'all replace your PSUs for a 6 year upgrade? I've got a Cooler Master GX750W from 2011 and I'm looking to upgrade from 2500k to 8600k.

Anything below the point where it thermal throttles. The lower the better, but both AMD and Nvidia let their reference cards run in the mid-80s, so it's not going to hurt anything.

That was kind of a piece of shit even when it was new, so I wouldn't want to trust my new build with it, personally.

jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=188

It's your call though, isn't it?

50-60C

How many user accounts do you have on your PC?

I remember when Windows XP came out and user accounts were so revolutionary. But now I don't think I've had more than one on a single machine in a decade.

Okay thanks
I will aim low but especially going into Australian summer I'm not expecting miracles

How's this for web dev / creative writing productivity? I may play Rise of Nations too, such a cracking game.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/7Y6B2R

Can I use Windows 7 to download 10 and make the files I need to install on a new build?

Yeah, maybe that works on your GT 1030, but you're not keeping a 1080 Ti that cool without an AIO or it sounding like a vacuum cleaner. Most range from the high 60s to low 70s with the out of the box fan curve, and that's under perfect ambient conditions and not a desert wasteland like Australia.

>questionable capacitor quality
Damn, I never realised I'd been using something that shitty this whole time. Thanks, I'll be moving onto a new modular PSU for sure.

Yes

microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

a lot of that is overkill for your needs. i'd go with an 8gb pentium build, which has an igpu. you'll end up saving a ton, so you can invest more in your next build.
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/8jX2hq
included an hdd so storage will never be an issue.

i disagree. you should have no problems keeping a good quality 1080ti at ~65C in any conditions.

and it says I need either a USB or a dvd, I got an SD card and a USB adapter, will that work?