Apple vs Qualcomm

>Qualcomm deactivates modem testing tools deployed at Apple, making Apple unable to develop new phones with Qualcomm LTE modems
>Apple asks Verizon and Sprint to enable LTE-only usage mode and shut down CDMA network as soon as possible to avoid iPhon3 supply disruption next year

Who will win this battle?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hRpujjwukMY
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/01/apple-files-1-billion-lawsuit-against-qualcomm-over-patent-licensing/
codeaurora.org/projects/all
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Qualcomm is as bad as Intel, really harmful to other chip manufacturers, hope AAPL wins this

apple

Most likely they will accept the failure of their A11 housefire and suck samsungs cock for those sweet sweet sexynose.

the problem would then be handled to samshit

>deactivates modem testing tools deployed at Apple

MACTODDLERS BTFO

youtube.com/watch?v=hRpujjwukMY

>this is the same as Apple not giving repair manuals to unauthorized repairmen

kys Louis

There are no authorized repairmen you cock drizzle.

Aplel will shrug its shoulders and tell you to pony up another 1-2 grand for a new fagbook.

So what's the reason Qualcomm is doing this?

THEY WILL GET THE SAME FUCKING ERROR CODE.

Macbooks are intentional planned obsolescence by software now. Apple doesn't give a fuck about you, they just want to rip you off as much as they can.

Apple cooperated with gov't investigation on Qualcomm's anti-competitive business practices.

They don't want to sell to aplel anymore.

source?

not defending snapovens btw

>In its complaint, Apple says that Qualcomm actually withheld $1 billion in payments it owes to Apple because Apple cooperated with the Korea Fair Trade Commission, or KFTC. Apple lawyers go on to make an extraordinary claim: that Qualcomm "attempted to extort Apple into changing its responses and providing false information to the KFTC in exchange for Qualcomm's release of those payments to Apple," but Apple refused.

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/01/apple-files-1-billion-lawsuit-against-qualcomm-over-patent-licensing/

Those people don't repair the device. They get a replacement from apple. It's pretty expensive.

Qualcomm are the only company to make CDMA radios and with the move to LTE everything, that's going to cut into their profits so they're trying to slap Apple around to get public opinion on their side.

Needless to say, it won't end well for them.

For apple that is. All qualcum has to do is cry wolf and the journalists will eat apple alive.

>pajeet delusions

People don't know about the apple preventing people from repairing their hardware right now.

Qualcum brings that to light and apple will have a very very bad day.

Hahahaha

hahahahahahaha

Yeah no. Qualcomm are 100% in the wrong here and even as an Android user, you should want them to lose this. They are the reason the SoC market is capped, especially in the US. Samsung, for example, make better SoCs in house with Exynos, but can't sell them Stateside due to the need for CDMA radios. Several companies are like this so I'll be glad to see Qualcomm's pseudo-monopoly end.

Another point people miss is that Texas Instrument, which was the best smartphone SoC vendor, was driven out of the market largely due to Qualcomm's LTE patent litigation threats.

>hope AAPL wins this
Because then Apple will price their products accordingly right?

Do you WANT intel modems to become the norm?

Because soon phones will need pic related. Because mass sexynose adoption isn't happening especially on budget phones.

>whoever loses, we win

isnt that the calculator manufacturer

wait, if this happens, will verizon cucks have VoLTE calling quality?

it's fucking sad that every other non CDMAids network has high quality voice but not verizon cucks.

Another point is that apple has done the same with other companies, so who should I root for?
Jew A., or Jew B.?

Samsung socs always have shitty mali gpus desu

verizon has volte already

sorry I can't understand you with your low quality calling voice.

Samsung can sell Exynos Modems to Apple once Qualcomm loses the antitrust suit.

>Do you WANT intel modems to become the norm?
I'd like decent open source modems to be the norm.

You'll have to wait for hell to freeze over before that happens.

>sorry I can't understand you with your low quality calling voice.
>Verizon
You must be confused user. Verizon's problems are price related, not quality of service.

I'd like to see Apple develop their own in-house since their SoC team has proven themselves to be among the best, but you're right with Intel not being worth much in any respect as of late. Mediatech could fill the gaps more, though, and I'd like to see Ti make a comeback.

Rip Motorola, though....

wasn't that why their iPhone 4s has reception problems?

while i can understand patents covering "novel" ui controls or video/audio coding, drm, whatever.

but patents on "essential" radio tech, that are part of supposedly open standard, are scummy as fuck

iPhone 8 a shit

Apple, as far as I'm aware, has used several vendors for their modems over the years to meet demand. Not sure who they used then and I'm only just now learning since I plan to move to an iPhone next year if they go OLED on devices that aren't ONE THOUSAND fucking dollars.

The applel watch should be oled wtf

Oh you're right, the watches are. I meant the phones, though. One thing I've been spoiled by are OLED panels so going back to LCD would be tough. I'd miss the battery life as well. Guess we'll see.

Oh good I thought apple was being more jewish than usual

arm needs to die. its all planned obsolescence, proprietary drivers and locked bootloaders and no freedom to choose your own os.

fuck apple and their faglord management

isnt that an original iPhone? like the first batch of iph1?

HOLY SHIT GUYS, SAMSUNG IS 6 SECONDS FASTER IN A COMPLETELY BELIEVABLE REAL LIFE USAGE SCENARIO

HOLY SHIT GUYS THE SCREEN DESIGN IS TOTALLY THE SAME LETS CONTINUE TO SUCK GHOST COCK WHARGARBLE

Better is still better

>BELIEVABLE REAL LIFE USAGE SCENARIO
>applebench

you're fucking delusional

>it's true cause I say it is! damn it I'm smart!

Qualcomm is an incompetent shit company android would be better off with literally any other SoC maker

how? qualcomm invests heavily into opensource development, apple invests fuck all

>t. brainlet

It's literally the only mainlined Freedreno between Socs...

>whole OS other than window manager and gui environment open source
>created and gave away a grand central dispatch, llvm, etc
qualcomm doesn't do shit

Are you seriously retarded? they submit their kernel source due to licencing requirements. They do nothing that doesn't directly support themselves

meanwhile, qualcomm contributes to many projects that go far beyond licencing requirements and many are platform agnostic

codeaurora.org/projects/all

htf is qualcomm indebted to aplel? shouldn't it be the other way round?

Apple has been infringing on Qualcomm's patents.

Also Qualcomm claims they fully test their modems so Apple doesn't even need the software.

Apple in the long run. CDMA is antiquated tech and Verizon had announced plans to switch over to VoLTE several years ago.

>apple fags saying it's the fastest hardware ever
>smashes the benchmarks
>slower in real world performance

Current state of Applel

Yet they still don't open source their SOC drivers which is what's actually needed to get Android updates on phones using their cancerous SOCs. Fuck Qualcomm.

Apple are redesigning their phones to use Intel modems.
Qualcomm have been leveraging their effective monopoly to overcharge for what should be FRAND chips.
Apple asked Samsung to report Qualcomm to the Korean gov't for anti-competitive activity. They did and now Qualcomm is mad.

Y'know, facts prove him correct

Good thread. Keep it up

RIP aplel.

Verizon pretty much keeps CDMA around for older phones. They have almost 100% VoLTE coverage. The iPhone could drop CDMA support today, and the vast majority of people wouldn't notice any difference.

Don't fuck with Apple.

FCC sued Qualcomm for anti-competitive business practices and Apple joined in. Qualcomm got mad and withheld the rebates they were paying Apple to use their CDMA technology. Now Apple plans on getting rid of CDMA support entirely and told Verizon and Sprint that if they don't go LTE-only they won't get the iPhone on time next year.

>Now Apple plans on getting rid of CDMA support entirely and told Verizon and Sprint that if they don't go LTE-only they won't get the iPhone on time next year.
I don't know why Apple would pull that shit. The number of customers that aren't in VoLTE coverage, but ARE in their CDMA coverage, is well under 0.1%. Forcing Verizon to kill CDMA would just force a bunch of people using old phones to upgrade for no real reason. Apple could ship without CDMA, and Verizon could just update their coverage map with an "iPhone 9 coverage," that only shows VoLTE coverage.

>What is mindshare?

>Getting rid of cdmaids
It's all for the best. Good guy apple

Who gives a shit about US tho.

>Forcing Verizon to kill CDMA would just force a bunch of people using old phones to upgrade for no real reason.
Forced upgrade is the reason.

But again, that's pretty much saying, "Old people using flip phones must upgrade to VoLTE lines." There's no real reason behind it, other than to get dumbphone users pissed off. It's not like they are gonna go with Apple's insane phones after that. They're just gonna look for a VoLTE dumbphone (which you know will happen).

that's literally the point of apple though

why would old phones use cdma instead of gsm/2g/3g?

CDMA is what Verizon and Sprint originally used. It made sense at the time, since you got a wider range and better signals initially. Eventually, GSM caught up, but by that time, so many CDMA towers were all over the US that it would have been cost prohibitive to just mothball them.

Luckilly, VoLTE is the natural evolution for both.

outside of radio, what is closed source? The actual problem is they are quick to stop maintaining kernel source for legacy chips.

t. bootlicker

I still use 17in. Not sure how it's obsolete when it lasted longer than any pc. Still use it to record with apogee legacy gear. It's not like with windows where an upgrade to dx renders the software useless

quallcomm is wrong..

apple could choose between 3 chips intel mediatek and quallcomm
but they choose quall fully knowning their intentions
and now they cry my a river
if their contract has safety measures such as deactivating the modems this will be interesting to see how apple is going to survive given that the other 2 are literally dog shit tier even on LTE and rest assure no one on europe or any other country with a unlimited data cap wont choose an intel device that throttles down its chip due to the thermals

they dont open source them because they gonna have to give the unlock key and given how the majority of their modems are just fully grown flagships software locked they wont do jack shit

quallcomm sees 90% drop in q4!
like quallcomm serves only apple which is their smallest market anyways

pls go back to your ESL class

>even as an Android user, you should want them to lose this
Fuck off. There's literally no reason why I should "back" apple in this. Fuck both companies user.
Well no I take it back. I hope apple loses, because Qualcomm does more for open source than apple.

>Qualcomm is good because they contribute OSS to lock more users into their patented communication standards

>Kentucky Fried Trilateral Committee

Verizon took their jolly time enabling VoLTE. VZW were the first to mass deploy every major category of LTE in the USA yet only last year did they get their network to support VoLTE. Their towers and network was fully capable of it since at least 2013.

this pretty much, win win

Yet they require all the phones they carry to have CDMA and won't activate non-CDMA enabled BYOD phones on their network.

They deliberately made Verizon-specific modifications for VoLTE-to-CDMA-to-VoLTE call handover that makes their implementation of VoLTE incompatible with everyone else with the real goal being to force people to buy overpriced phones directly from their stores.

>feature is just an excuse to make it incompatible

Where did we see this before?

The CDMA requirement is ready to be antiquated, but not until LTE deployment can match or exceed their 3G coverage and uptime;
Yes, it's ridiculous.