Besides saving $0.45 on manufacturing costs, what's the reason for removing the headphone jack?

Besides saving $0.45 on manufacturing costs, what's the reason for removing the headphone jack?
Is my theory that they do it to appear "modern" and keep up with Apple correct?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/utfbE3_uAMA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes, and to get sheep to buy AirPods.

Official reason was it freed up internal space for things like a larger battery.

>Besides saving $0.45 on manufacturing costs
>besides
Do you have any idea how that adds up?

Letv was the first smartphone that I've seen without the headphone jack. They sold high spec
flagship tier smartphones at a loss to gain user base for their netflix type subscription services.
The phones usually had the top cpus/ram, ips screens, dacs, so forth, but since they sold them at a loss they would try to find ways to cut costs. This is the reason I believe that they removed the headphone jack, but it didn't matter since phones were cheap, and they had okay sounding headphones, speakers, and accessories. Apple being apple adopted this cost savings to manufacturing, and then raised the price to their phone. Is apple correct, sure they have more of a profit margin, and letv is I believe out of business.

Because they take up SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH SPACE

To sell you overpriced Bluetooth headphones.

They do though. The headphone jack takes up more space than the CPU.

It's the best way to push improvements in the new technologies such as bluetooth. I messed up on my latest purchase and got a USB headset. Been using a usb c adapter and it's fine.

But then they put a barometer there?

Then why not just cut out the vibration motor in favor of speakers making a vibration sound effect, remove volume buttons in favor of software control, remove sim slot in favor of embedded sim, etc... There's a million ways to cut costs, why this one in particular.

>Then why not just cut out the vibration motor in favor of speakers making a vibration sound effect

imagine being this retarded

Fucking sucks. But hey that's one more reason to get a dedicated music player with headphone jack. Screw the bastards man. There's always options, if a company wants to shoot itself in the foot, I'm sure other company's will pounce on the mistake and profit.

Maybe it's a point of physical stress, and generates too much warranty complaints.

This. You can take the barometer out of an iPhone 7 and replace it with a headphone jack if you've got the tools and the skills. It's been done.
Now, ask yourself: Is a barometer more useful or important than a headphone jack? Did you even know your iPhone had a barometer? Did you even care? Next question: Which are you more likely to buy to go with your iPhone, a wireless barometer or a pair of wireless headphones?

>imagine being this retarded

Truely goat iPod

They want their products to be unique as a selling point.

>why this one in particular
It's the first one, they can't remove all the features you listed all at once, but they surely will remove them eventually, believe me.

unique =/= good
Sometimes unique features are a good thing, and when that's the case, it's worth considering them for that feature. If I made a phone that released a smell of flatulence every time it got a text message, that would surely be a unique feature. But it wouldn't be a good one, and it would be a reason to turn away from that product.

Apple Employee here. I'm not in engineering but it's common knowledge within the company that these are the main reasons:

-Headphone jack was a structural failure point as the devices got thinner. If you look at the 6 it would carve into the rounded edge so much that the thin edges would be susceptible to collapse.
-It took up WAY too much internal real estate and removing it allowed for the Taptic engine to fit. The Taptic engine is an electromagnetic horizontal oscillator that replaced the vibe motor. It has a much lower failure rate than traditional vibe motors, much lower power draw, and allows higher fidelity vibration feedback (you can pretty much feel the system sounds like clicks and pings and it feels good mayne).
-It wasn't shallow enough and water would get stuck inside and corrode the connectors (The 7 was our push for a liquid resistant phone, but the 6s was a trial where this was a leading issue. IPX8 3.5 jacks are possible but are more costly to make and require rubber gaskets or plugs)
-Replacing it with a single port allowed for a more seamless design of the phone itself
-When we realized that people were exaggerating the loss of the port, we added a tiny adapter in the box at the last minute.
-That small percentage of people that forget to charge their phone while wanting to use an AUX cable is simply not broad enough of a use case to avoid the previously mentioned perks. If they care that much they can go buy a 5 dollar splitter off AliBaba.
-It was designed in the god damn 50s

Engineers from both Apple and other phone builders poke fun at the removal but pretty much agree that it had to be done. All flagship phones will drop 3.5mm in a handful of years as wireless headphones become dirt cheap.

>the first vibrator was plugged into the wall
>The first earphones, were revolutionary when they came out
>in 2017 anything with wires is being replaced.
>Wires are like chains. If you charge your phone and want to use it still. Youre chained to the outlet by a wire. The longer the wire the longer the chain.
>This applies to the headphone jack too. A wire chains you to the device. Break the chain, experince freedom

>apply to apple
>they need your genious

so you can sell them yet another product with a non user replaceable battery and other built in planned obsolescence (airpods)

Selling dongles

Almost forgot.

>-It took up WAY too much internal real estate and removing it allowed for the Taptic engine to fit. The Taptic engine is an electromagnetic horizontal oscillator that replaced the vibe motor. It has a much lower failure rate than traditional vibe motors, much lower power draw, and allows higher fidelity vibration feedback (you can pretty much feel the system sounds like clicks and pings and it feels good mayne).
But it didn't allow the Taptic engine to fit. Seriously, the only thing that needs to be removed is the barometer. This guy modded a headphone jack onto his 7 without removing the Taptic engine.
youtu.be/utfbE3_uAMA
>-It wasn't shallow enough and water would get stuck inside and corrode the connectors (The 7 was our push for a liquid resistant phone, but the 6s was a trial where this was a leading issue. IPX8 3.5 jacks are possible but are more costly to make and require rubber gaskets or plugs)
And yet somehow, Samsung and others make phones with better water and dust protection ratings than the iPhone 7, and they still have headphone jacks.
>All flagship phones will drop 3.5mm in a handful of years as wireless headphones become dirt cheap.
That's bullshit, because bluetooth audio is still compressed shit. The headphone jack is still unchanged because it still works flawlessly.

The rest of your talking points are just pointless corporate bullshit that doesn't even need to be addressed.

>-Headphone jack was a structural failure point as the devices got thinner
This was never an issue with the Nano, and it's even thinner.

That's all fine but disgusting there wasn't the adapter originally included

Look at the connectors on both. The iPhone now has a rounded edge and milling a hole in that causes issues. The nano has a flat bottom and was much tougher. come to think of it it WAS an issue with nanos that when dropped they became too tight to plug in headphones, or worse, had headphones stuck inside them. This issue was normally replaced as in warranty at the store level.

Yeah it was in the box on launch but the change came pretty late into product development. What's wrong with a company making a correction like this anyway?

>-It was designed in the god damn 50s
What the fuck does this have to do with anything?
And the rest of the reasons are trash considering the profit margin on iPhones.
Wireless headphones will never be as good as wired ones, they'll never be as cheap either.

Consumerism.

It isn't that the company made a correction, it's that a correction was needed. As soon as Apple decided to move away from a widely entrenched industry standard, the adapter should have been their first thought.

Apple sell More wireless headphones
USB-C add analogical audio output.
USB-C plus adapter 3.5 jack means high quality audio output.

Lighting adapter means shitty DAC plus AMP,shitty quality.

>1st point
I see where you're coming from but i forgot to mention the battery is larger and pushes everything downward. Most parts where shuffled in that area on the 7.

>2nd point
Never said it wasn't possible but the water logging became a usage issue, one that Samsung ignores because of the lack of focus of after-purchase usage.

>3rd
Cool, screenshot this.

Why do you faggots have to call it a "taptic" engine. Was "haptic" too common for such a cool hip trendy homosexual brand?

It was thought of but as an optional 10 dollar adapter because not everyone would use it. Due to the viral news mob it was added in free to avoid feeding shitty journalism.

Branding 101. The word haptic is used to describe the feedback though.

Send pictures Apple employ visit neonazi website on night turn.

>The word haptic is used to describe the feedback though.
That's because it's called haptic feedback you fucking retard. Shit like this is why people with above subhuman levels of IQ will never buy your garbage. "It's not haptic, it's taptic!" kys.

I had a Nokia 1616 that use the speaker to vibrate

I didn't dispute that. Boy are you angry.

>I see where you're coming from but i forgot to mention the battery is larger and pushes everything downward. Most parts where shuffled in that area on the 7.
Again, I'll refer you to the video I linked. The battery did not interfere. The Taptic Engine had to be shifted only slightly. The barometer was removed. That was enough space to install a headphone jack with a flexible ribbon circuit board to piggyback it off of the lightning connector using the same pinouts that the dongle would. Pic related is the finished result. If Apple truly needed to make space in that area, the barometer should have been the first thing to go. But that brings me back to my earlier point, which do you think Apple is going to sell more of? Wireless barometers or wireless headphones? This was a move to increase Airpod sales and nothing else.

>it was added in free to avoid feeding shitty journalism.
I can't tell if you're trolling or live in that much of a bobble. A lot of the backlash was from consumers, not from news sites. There was plenty of news sites that were sucking Apples dick on the change.

>There was plenty of news sites that were sucking Apples dick on the change.
That was only the sites that Apple paid off. IIRC, there was a bit of a controversy regarding sites that posted negative reviews/opinions being told that they wouldn't receive any more review samples from Apple.

Welcome to Sup Forums faggot

well iphones aren't really meant for poor people. if you can't afford some nice wireless headphones you can't afford the phone

It gains them money via planned obsolescence and proprietary connections. You're forced to use either bluetooth wireless headphones which wears the battery down prematurely or purchase a proprietary connector to plug your wired headphones into.

Finished watching the full video and that was bretty cool. You've convinced me but there's a lot more that caused the let to the decision other than airpod sales, though that was probably one of them

Apple is always trying to be ahead of the game or preferably creating the game rather than playing it. There are plenty of other companies that are happy to advance at a different less costly pace and plenty of people happy to buy those products.

Look at the gamble taken to drop the DVD drive and and ethernet port. Still totally standard and viable, just not something Apple wants in its hardware blueprints.

It's not a cost question, it's a quality one. Bluetooth audio is compressed, and therefore will never match the quality you can get out of a similarly designed pair of wired headphones. The similarly designed pair of wired headphones will always be cheaper, yes, but you could also make the case that if you HAD to spend the money, a better designed set of wired headphones is still a better choice. There's also the issue of Bluetooth headphones requiring their own rechargeable batteries, while wired headphones Just Work TM.

That's why there's this little dude in the box. I use it when I want to use my nice headphones and not have compressed audio.

Because apple is a bunch of limp dick faggots.

I'm sure I was mad too when I was here in '07 and a teenager.

Hooray, one more dongle to carry and/or lose!
Also, considering Apple's track record of form over function on it's first party lightning cables and how often they fail right behind the plug thanks to sub-par strain relief, hooray for buying replacements when they inevitably break!

I'm 30. Stop renaming things and slapping an Apple logo on it.

A wire chains you to the device. Break the chain, experince freedom

>Be sitting down listening to headphones
>Stand up not realizing it's on your lap not in your pocket
>With wired headphones it falls as far as the cable is long
>With Bluetooth headphones your shitting bricks hoping it didn't break when it hit the ground

The chain saved me too many times brother.

>hurr durr oldfag
really went out of your way for that one
faggot

>barometers
>big

What other dongles do you carry around with you?

I don't lose/break things because I'm an adult and I don't carry it around because I'm not an autist that wears massive cans in public.

Don't worry, you're just not the target market and that's ok.

so what

Holy shit you're a fucking moron

Dongle Defense Force, here to save the day!

The one Apple used was about the size of a headphone jack, apparently.

we had to be the first to innovate

Look here you fucking cuck

Don't fix what isn't broken.

>defending pointless dongles
>calling someone else a cuck
Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

removing headphone jack to make room for better specs sounds fine with me. plus the box includes a usb adapter for headphone jack support.

And Beats (owned by Apple) BT headphones.

see:

Wow! I didn't realize that phones couldn't use wireless headphones until Apple got rid of the headphone jack! Isn't that great?
baka

there's still a usb adapter for headphone support included in the box so this is a non issue

Just leave the dongle attached to the headphones, it doesn’t get lost.

And this matters how? Instead of improving the design (going smaller/stronger) to deal with some of the other issues (which is arguable from an engineering standpoint) they decided to go with a worse choice. I'm looking at the deadspace across the top and don't have a hard time imagining re-engineering the headphone jack to plug in horizontally instead of vertically, especially with the continuing trend of going taller/wider on the screen.

DRM conspiracy. Replacing analog with digital.
>This song has not been be downloaded from the itunes/google library and cannot be played.

Next you’re going to tell me that the increased dongle and AirPod sales come as a “convenient byproduct” of the design change.

The iPhone is one thing, but I’m super pissed that the new MacBook pros come with nothing but USB-C ports. How do you explain that? That shit is unforgivable, and making me hang on to my 2013 rMBP like grim death.

fuck you asshole

>plus the box includes a usb adapter for headphone jack support.
A bandaid solution (if it is a solution since it is easy to lose) to a problem that shouldn't have occurred in the first place? Great argument!

Truth hurts, don't it nigger?

Why are you still posting holy fuck

Fuck you leatherhead

>horizontal jack
>listening while device is in your pocket

nigga is you serious

Nothing stops you from using wireless headphones in the first place. In Apple's case, you're no even given an option. That's not what freedom is.

Stay out of this faggot
Where did you go you little piece of shit

It is because wireless is the way to go and honestly the wireless airpods are pretty magic.

Now hold on though - let's say I want to start manufacturing Apple wireless peripherals.
I need stronger bluetooth chips right?
What better way to force stronger chips and revolutionize products than to take your company down the 'wireless' route and introduce new bluetooth products as a primary product in the market place? It will force qualcomm or whomever makes bluetooth chips to start focusing on upping the bandwidth in bluetooth 4.0 +. and provide real ways to patch hardware that has already been sold to the consumer.

Unless your pocket is exactly the same size, and I don't think I have any pockets in pants, vest, shirt, etc. that is like that. There's enough room to angle the jack at the top of the phone to run the jack out the top. This assumes your pockets are deep enough in the first place AND that you don't have a belt holster like most people who can afford flagship phones.

Cargo pants and belt holsters?

pls stop

>Cargo pants
pls stop
If you're wearing cargo pants I don't see how you can complain as you aren't ever leaving the basement.

>Apple being innovative ever

They're trying to achieve true perfection, aka a phone with no ports. Wireless charging and whatnot.

>trying to achieve perfection... wireless charging
Care to explain why did Apple wait four-five years after the technology was adopted by other major manufacturers?

HEY APPLE ENGINEER

why the fuck did you remove the headphone jack and not support a modern bluetooth audio format like apt-x HD, is you spat with qualcomm that bad you want to permanently gimp audio on iphone ? cause thats what you did

everybody hates what you did ! listen to them instead of being in your bubble, its a very big deal and my 6s will be my last apple phone you condecending ass hat, i listen to 24 bit and you left me with no other options !

The phone can easily be made a few mm thicker. No excuse to remove the headphone jack.

>headphone jack
>the port wears out/gets beat up/preaks off the pcb
>connector gets worn out
>jack issues are the reasons i keep buying new earphones and smartphones

The better question is why wont they make a phone with two USB-C ports?

I've never found myself wishing for a second USB port on a phone, ever.

Apple arbitrarily chooses shit to be industry standards, and the other manufacturers blindly follow. Tbh Tim probably puts on a blindfold and throws a dart at a list of existing/developing tech, and that becomes the new "innovative" feature.

I wrote it off as incompatible with a phone no bezels which is the trend. Lightning and usb are thin enough. Add in the jack under the screen components and it becomes bulky and won't sell as well.

>be apple
>introduce new bluetooth headphones
> $150 a pair
> on backorder for a year after release of iPhone they were supposed to support
Apple is shit