/wt/

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:

youtube.com/watch?v=obAXUDDtq1A

>Strap Guide:

pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials 102:

pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

portabellopixie.com/IWC-Pilot-s-Chronograph-Edition-Le-Petit-Prince-p17952.html
borealiswatch.com/store/watch-straps/
youtube.com/watch?v=vLP3GSlFhYo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

My new baby

What the best replica I can buy for $150

why would you spend $150 on a replica?

is this cancer?

portabellopixie.com/IWC-Pilot-s-Chronograph-Edition-Le-Petit-Prince-p17952.html

it's even automatic

Get a macro lens so I can get a better sense of the exterior finishing on that thing please.

No, just idiocy. It's metaposting that is cancer.

I see they forgot to chamfer the edges of all their cases and bezels again. Is this one covered by warranty to get a drip of water on it or is it trash like the rest of their watches?

The Borealis isofrane knock off I ordered just showed up. This has got to be the best $25 strap money can buy. It was more comfortable in 5 minutes than the Bonetto Cinturini 300D was after 5 days. I'm going to order the blue version too now that I've received this one.

Where to get aftermarket straps for a SARB035? Do alpinist straps fit or is it a different case

>Where to get aftermarket straps for a SARB035?
Any 20mm strap will fit the SARB035, unless you mean a bracelet with fitted end-links, but the SARB035 should have come with such a bracelet so I have no idea why you'd be looking for an aftermarket one.

Shit my bad, I mean't to say bracelet. The SARB bracelet is shitty. The end links rattle and after wearing a Sinn bracelet I can't go back. I guess they're not very popular?

Link?

miltat/ strapcode

What does it smell like though?

borealiswatch.com/store/watch-straps/

No smell, but, when boiled it takes a set much better than the Bonetto Cinturini straps do.

Where? I see nothing for those SARBs on either of those sites.

Nice Vostok Amphibia homage.

That is really nice.

You're a Canadian right? Ontario? I don't know if there are any other Canadians in this thread but do you know of any shops that will bead blast a watch case?

I don't know any that do that work in Canada off the top of my head, but I could look into it. I know for sure that Artifice Horoworks does media-blasting and coatings on watch cases, but he's in the US.

if you have an air compressor: you could buy your own bead blast cabinet & media for about the same price as a shop would charge for the service.
After I buy my water cooled belt sander, a bead blasting cabinet is next.

:^(

vintage watches>modern watches

What ref number?

Rate my garbage watch

I can't get over the 3-6-9 indexes on the minute register of vintage chronos. Why are they there?

KYS/10

its for timing phonecalls. long distance was charged in segments of 3 mins

Huh. Thanks user.

Looks great user
id on the strap?

Garbage/10

R8 my Ball Hydrocarbon

Nice 90's TAG.

It should be doused in hydrocarbons and ignited.

It's not mine, but it's a 110059.

I think it's just a basic Vostok mesh strap from Meranom. I have the same one on my 710.

Want.

That's a neat looking watch, though vintage Citizens aren't my bag. Good luck on the hunt to find one in decent condition.

Won't even try, they seem to be impossible to find.

While Ebay and Yahoo.jp is always full of Grand/King Seiko's, right there's not one (1) example of a Glorious Citizen anywhere and only one Citizen Highness on Ebay.

lmao does GC actually stand for glorious citizen?

Yes, I guess they couldn't call them Grand Citizen without bringing shame to their ancestors for ripping off Seiko.

I got a patek calatrava for 110€ on bestwatches. Manual wind with a display caseback. Its holding up really well.

show caseback

Why does everyone else complain about the bracelet? Mine is totally fine, I don't see anything wrong with it. Are they somehow inconsistent or something or am I just less observant than everyone else? And I say that owning watches that have everything from the shittiest to the best bracelets.

>I got a patek calatrava for 110€ on bestwatches. Manual wind with a display caseback.
>Its holding up really well.

Fucking nasty.

Holy fuck boys i got a realllll live soviet shitter. I mean excellent example of prime soviet watch making technology

>Grand Seiko?? Never heard of them, this is a Grand Citizen any relation 100% coincidental

guy even sent a post card. Doesn't that want to make you live there?

What makes it nasty exactly? Fucking great results for the price.

>fake dial
Realllll ripped off too.

Nice 2209 bro.

T. Poljot de luxe guy

case finishing looks meh but what is up with that movement?

What do you mean?

The texts are a bit too "strong", also the lighting is kinda bright on the pic.

yeah but it actually looks like a patek movement, wtf. can you take some more (better) pics?

youtube.com/watch?v=vLP3GSlFhYo

We need more videos here.

It was cheap and I knew

Yeah it's the old movement with adjustment screws on the balance super pretty. I'm out ATM but I'll snap a pic tnw

Invicta-cuck has finally realized the error of his ways and now is shilling smaller, German dress automatics.

>£330.00

Which purchase is your biggest regret?

Am I wrong for wanting to get an aqua terra or a panerai radiomir rep? I love the styling for both but cant bribg myself to spend the big $$$

fuck off with the reps. Go to RWI if you want to talk about chink shitter ripoffs.

On one hand I can sort of get Panerai reps because fuck them and their shitty business practices, but on the other hand I have to parrot what said.

Who?

Honestly a replica watch forum will have much better advice if that's what you want.

What kind of Aqua Terra are you in to? If you like the striped dial specifically Seiko has some SARX models in the $400-$500 range which are sort of the same idea without being a direct ripoff and are nice watches. I can't really think of other watches right now that have that same style of dial, it's pretty unique. Maybe look up "tapestry dial" and see if you find anything but that brings up mostly Rolexes. Hamilton makes a Jazzmaster day-date that has always kind of reminded me of the AT also but with a smooth dial, it's a really slick looking watch.

Specifically the aqua terra white dial/blue hands

In case anyone cares about the ladies amphibia

I love the look of the rolex explorer I but the current model's a bit big (6.6" wrist).
The replicas made by Parnis, Tiger Concept, Zeno and the armida a6 explorers all look good, any particular recommendations?
Just don't want a lug-to-lug thats too hueg

beautiful dial but poor lugs and very poor legibility.

Kind of same story - very hard to read, and pretty uncomfortable bracelet. Very accurate movement though.

fuck off replica faggots. You're worse than the commies.

Show us your watch

>I only got a little ripped off so it's okay
Lol

fuck man i can get a near or decent Seiko or Citizen or whatever mechanical with $150 why bother with a fake? no logic

I got the watch And strap for about the price of a movement so yeah I'm OK with it.

nato recs? heard good things about Toxic Natos & Blushark

spotted- id pls /wt/?

The dial is kind of neat but it's just such a cheap low quality piece of shit all around and it ticks incredibly loudly and I just don't like it.

Other regrets:
>Seagull 1963
The watch in itself is a beautiful object but it's not actually a watch I ever wanted to wear
>Steinhart Ocean One
Too damn big, too damn blatant fake Sub. It's actually a really nice good looking watch which is a shame.
>Seiko Grand Quartz
I already had a King Quartz I like a lot, but for some retarded reason I paid way more for this one and it's in worse condition and I don't like it as much. I guess I wanted it because it was twin-quartz and muh GS brand.

The moral of my story is to stop buying so many shitters just for the sake of collecting them all.

What case is this and where did you source the strap?

Keep in mind in a later post I said that after wearing my Sinn the bracelet seems weak. It’s a fine bracelet it just doesn’t feel substantial enough for me.

Just buy the previous model, Rolex is the easiest brand to buy used. All those shit homages pale in comparison and actual Explorers are relatively cheap and in low demand. The 14270 and 114270 were in production for decades, so it only starts to get really expensive if you want a 1016.

I wore and EULIT Perlon for about 4 months and recently bought a WatchGecko one last week. In case anyone is wondering, the WG one is much softer and way comfier on the wrist but the hardware feels like shit. The buckle feels really cheap and the pin moves around all over the place. The EULIT on the other hand feels worse on the wrist in terms of comfiness but the hardware is much much better.

I could have told you that months ago. Scooch your watches back about 2", wear them on your wrists please. They're crushed against your hand. They're called 'wrist-watches'.

That's the narrowest part of his fat arms. It will be dangling if he tries to fit it further up his arm.

>power reserve indicator on a GS
>looks like an orient or orient star

SAD!

The 1967 Seiko Presmatic 5106 I bought because I don't wear it nearly enough and it's a gorgeous watch. I need to get my stuff organized so I can sell it to someone who will wear it more.

I love that Longines, I'm a real sucker for 60's, 70's and early 80's styling.

>2binches behind your wrist bone is your wrist
Yes, I'm sure the picture on the left would look much better if the watch was 2" behind the wrist bone rather than adjacent to it.

I can see what you mean with the orient star comparison, yeah. Obviously the finishing on the hands and indices is another galaxy by comparison.

I'm kind of not unfortunately, but so much interesting tech was happening in the '65-'80 period that I can overlook it. But yeah the longines is pretty nice. But then you get stuff like this...

...and I haven't managed to find an ultra quartz I can imagine ever wearing yet.

And that's saying something because you have a pretty high tolerance for...unconventional designs in pursuit of different movement types.

Yeah, you're not wrong.

Most of them end up growing on you though - I'm hoping the Omega will.