/pcbg/ - PC building general

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/ (Seach 'Intel')

====

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#Z=16384002&s=403200&L=140&m=17&sort=price&page=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/DcTZ6X
youtube.com/watch?v=kU0wZZ8QjWw
wsgf.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=nIOoNuUzFjQ
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150810&cm_re=vega_56-_-14-150-810-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131730R&cm_re=vega_56-_-14-131-730R-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131730&cm_re=vega_56-_-14-131-730-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932001&cm_re=vega_56-_-14-932-001-_-Product
pcpartpicker.com/list/NmytPs
pcpartpicker.com/list/RzFm6X
cclonline.com/product/243262/NE5107T015P2-1043D/Graphics-Cards/Palit-GeForce-GTX-1070-Ti-Dual-8GB-Graphics-Card/VGA3979/?siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-DQJHSDYSQynPKemhbET5lA
pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#m=17&Z=16384002&s=403200&L=140&sort=price&page=1
mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-ZOTAC-GeForce-GTX-1070-Ti-Mini-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1203523.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/Kt9wRG
guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-reduces-price-of-regular-gtx-1070.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dongola

What is the best below $70 speaker for poorfags?

pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#Z=16384002&s=403200&L=140&m=17&sort=price&page=1

samsung b die memory. buy from this list for a ryzen build.

>$170
>when I got a Vengeance 2666HMz 16GB (8x2) for $96

No thanks. Differences between 2666HMz and 3200HMz are not that substantial or worth the price point of $40-60 dollars more.

sadly that's not true with ryzen. the ram you bought is 2666 c16, which is significantly worse than the ram i linked, which is 3200 c14.

Can someone tell me what this thing is? I don't think I've ever seen a covering for a CPU before. Wouldn't that get in the way of the heatsink?
Also, what would the best overall z370 board be? I'm looking at a Gigabyte Aorus 7 right now, but I just want to make sure.

It's a socket cover. It's there to protect the socket while it doesn't have a CPU installed. If you (try to) leave it on after installing your CPU, you're going to have a bad time.

Should I upgrade my 1050 Ti to a 1060 6gb? I only want high/ultra in 1080/60Hz

It just pops off when you bring the retention mechanism back down with the CPU installed. That's actually the way you're supposed to do it, though I never bother.

>(try to)

That still makes zero sense.

it protects the socket from damage when there is no cpu installed

>try to mash the thing back in place after installing cpu like the fucking retard (You) are

You're describing a scenario that would never occur in real life. It's not physically possible to even attempt to replace the cover with the CPU fitted. Stop projecting your own idiocy onto other people in this thread, please.

I have three 360mm fans connected into a Y-splitter in my PC, connected to my motherboard.
They occasionally start running at full speed which is loud as fuck, and apparently hitting the case with my leg hard enough fixes it.

I suppose it's a contact issue but I'm a lazy piece of shit. How bad is doing this? I have 1 SSD and 1 HDD.

how many fans in a case makes sense? if I have the CPU fan connected to the motherboard and a few other ones in a fan controller, is two in front and one in back overkill?

If you can sell your 1050Ti first, sure. It's a waste if you can't get any money back.

most cases nowadays come with 2 fans pre-installed, which is perfectly fine. good case fans are pretty cheap nowadays, so its not a bad idea to buy a couple of $20 noctuas and stick them in. will lower thermals a good amount.

yeah I was thinking of doing exactly that, thanks

just make sure they're the right size for the case.

Any good speakers and headphone recommendations for my pc?
I also noticed my sound quality is worse on my PC than on my laptop and phone when plugging headphones so I was thinking about buying a dedicated sound card

seems like a waste to lose money on your 1050ti to get a tiny bump in performance.

When can we expect to see a new gen of graphic cards?

Q3/4 2018

Thinking of getting a vega 56 over a 1070 , is vega better than the 1070?

volta- Q1-2 2018
navi- Q3-4 2018
vega 11- soon (2017??)
vega 20- 2018

I just ordere a 56 instead of a 1070 just because I thought it's more interesting technology and I have the space. If you actually want to game or are heat/space restricted just choose one of the myriads of 1070s.

Desktop Ryzen APU when?

pcpartpicker.com/list/DcTZ6X

This isn't final I'm just posting this to ask if there's any changes I should make

What are you thinking for a gpu , thinking of buying build that is similar to yours user .

Get the 1600 instead. It's the same as the 1600X

Never buy Ayymd, lads. Your GPUs will be DOA.

What do you mean by actually want to game , benchmarks looked decent compared to 1070 and other cards around , Is there any issues with card itself or the drivers ?

Call customer service and quit shitposting.

>Is there any issues with card itself

well it loses to the 1070 ti stock in a lot of benches and loses even harder when the 1070 ti is overclocked. don't even bother overclocking the vega 56 as it increases power consumption by a whopping 200w

Already did.
God I'm so fucking mad.
Now it's gonna take those fuckers like a fucking month to gimme a new one or some shit.

Damn really wanted to go team read this time , well so much for ayymd

Nice try shill.
Even Linus kek tips said in his video about the 1070ti that the Vega 56 gets better benches in pretty much everything.

Do most things support 21:9 now?

>1070 benchmarks

i'll assume you meant to post that and that isn't a massive fail on your part.

the 1070 ti is better hands down.

youtube.com/watch?v=kU0wZZ8QjWw

Even old games support it with simple tweaks.
I've only run into a handful of games that don't support 21:9 no matter what.
If you need to know about 21:9 support for any game, and how to get it if it requires a tweak just look up the game here wsgf.org/

The "nothing supports it!" meme is outdated trash, pretty much everything supports 21:9 these days. Don't get memed into getting cucked by 16:9

Am I being rused? I can't find a single available 2x8gb 3000/3200 ram on pcpp that is on the AB350 Pro4 QVL

>skimming through video to see the benchmarks
>Vega 56 higher in pretty much all of them
>BUT MUH 30W HIGHER CONSUMPTION

Face it, nvidiot, there's no point in buying the 1070Ti, especially seeing all these Vega 56s going for 400$ everywhere right now.
Even mister intlel & jewvidia shill agrees youtube.com/watch?v=nIOoNuUzFjQ

Since Black Friday/Cyber Monday is only a few weeks away, I guess I'll hold out on upgrading my 1050 Ti. I hope I can get a decent discount on a 1070.

>especially seeing all these Vega 56s going for 400$ everywhere right now

prove it

>especially seeing all these Vega 56s going for 400$ everywhere right now

don't know what the fuck you were watching be the guy even says at the end the 1070 ti won in all but one of the games and that loss was solely by 1fps lmao.

>BUT MUH 30W HIGHER CONSUMPTION

you're baiting right? enjoy your housefire and lack of AIB cards i guess

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150810&cm_re=vega_56-_-14-150-810-_-Product

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131730R&cm_re=vega_56-_-14-131-730R-_-Product

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131730&cm_re=vega_56-_-14-131-730-_-Product

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932001&cm_re=vega_56-_-14-932-001-_-Product

>talking to yourself

pcpartpicker.com/list/NmytPs

I'll likely have the money to buy all this by the end of the week. It's a GNU/Linux gaming PC with one of the hard drives reserved for a Windows partition as a last resort for games I can't get to work in Wine or VMware. I plan to upgrade the graphics card later.
should I buy now or hope for good Black Friday sales?

>stock

i wanted AIB, because i can get a 1070 ti AIB for barely more with way superior cooling and OC capability, or a basic 1070 aftermarket model for under $400 which will be able to OC the extra 5% performance differential to match the 56.

>Option A
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID GAMING, 11GB
$1,299

>Option B
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition 11GB GDDR5X iCX
$1,079

I really was hoping to watercool my GPU along with a NZXT Kraken X62, but if it's going to cost me $230 AUD I don't see it being worth the money at all

My friend also has a hard on for EVGA, do they really make the best 1080Ti? I know JayZTwoCents calls them a premium card brand.

And the vega 56 can't overclock? Both cards can be overclocked. On Newegg the 1070 ti goes for above 500 dollars. The only thing that the 1070 ti has over vega is power consumption.
Doesn't matter anyway because there's no AIB Ayymd cards so people will just keep giving jewvidia money.

>

can u guys help please

im an AMD stan so if u recommend a gpu... (cuz i dont approve of nvidias monopolistic practices

GPU are still in hot demand. You will be insane to think they will give 1070 a discount let alone a decent one.

>>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K.
>>G4560/G4600

>continuing to talk to yourself

>Both cards can be overclocked.
yeah but >100w more for the same or worse performance

i've seen 1070 ti's at 449 which is a very small price to pay over a $419 vega 56 especially as you get a way better cooler and better OC capabilities.

pcpartpicker.com/list/RzFm6X
better everything.

Nothing your configuration is almost perfectly balanced.
Maybe get a RX480 or RX570, you will have better performance in vidya but you will not getting the maximum out of those gpus.

At 450 the 1070 ti is a great buy. I have not seen any below 500 though. In my shitty European country they're basically as expensive as a 1080.

cclonline.com/product/243262/NE5107T015P2-1043D/Graphics-Cards/Palit-GeForce-GTX-1070-Ti-Dual-8GB-Graphics-Card/VGA3979/?siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-DQJHSDYSQynPKemhbET5lA

£419 britbux

who makes the best cpu waterblocks

QVLs aren't always updated. all samsung b die is compatible with it. i'm running 3200 c14 on it right now, and i've built other pcs with the same.
pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#m=17&Z=16384002&s=403200&L=140&sort=price&page=1
all of these are samsung b die and will run at 3200 c14 on the pro4.

Also at Microcenter you can find Vega 64's for the same price as reference 1080's. Honestly it makes no sense to buy the 1070 or 1070Ti which has GDDR5, it's for miners. if you're going high end you may as well go all out and get the 1080, 1080Ti, Vega 56 or 64 and get great memory bandwidth as well as performance.

mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-ZOTAC-GeForce-GTX-1070-Ti-Mini-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1203523.html

460 eurogermanbux

buy now, although i'd change a few things.
pcpartpicker.com/list/Kt9wRG
better everywhere.

Hey, you never know. I would be happy with a $40-$50 discount.

option b. liquid cooling isn't better.
>My friend also has a hard on for EVGA, do they really make the best 1080Ti?
evga make the best gpus period, and they have the best customer support.

EVGA recently refused to RMA a customer's GPU despite it being their fault.
I can link you the thread on plebbit if you want.

Who else score 10 here?
Post your VR test scores

guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-reduces-price-of-regular-gtx-1070.html

Basically all you searched was GSkill at a particular speed and latency. Who's to say ALL of that is "samsung b"?

evga gave me a free 1070 upgrade after i rma'd my 980

Nice. Hopefully prices drops will be soon. I really want to upgrade my poorfag 1050 Ti asap.

I am just saying what I saw.
Maybe those free 1070 were refurbished ones from the VRAM incident

help someone stop me

i don't think so because it still had that removable plastic on the side which glows with "evga gtx 1070" like you'd find on a new gpu. the 980 was eol and it was a pretty high end FTW variant of the 980 so i'm assuming the 1070 was the closest thing to replacing it as a 1060 would have been too shit of a replacement and a 1080 too expensive to replace it with

>it still had that removable plastic on the side which glows with "evga gtx 1070" like you'd find on a new gpu
You know refurb GPU get repackaged to look brand new and those GPUs are what gets sent to you whenever you RMA something. You know that right?

wtf where is the dvi

What's a dvi?

Kek

Needs more space for cooling. It is sad DVI is dead. Had to buy a DisplayPort to VGA adapter.

It would save me a little money, thanks. I'm sure the seasonic PSU won't be particularly loud and I'm sure I'll be fine with an 150 watt Headroom.

I plan to upgrade the gpu to a rx580 a month or two after the initial build. Is the extra $50 for an 8gb worth it?

please help me out Idk what CPU to get. All the intel CPUs look the same and fuckin CPUBoss is useless and seems to only have cpus from 2013-2015 that are all only slightly better than my i3.

no because i actually know someone who got a refurb and it came in a small carboard box with evga on the side and there wasn't even any padding or anything in the box

RYZEN

What's the average price gap between a high end prebuilt versus a high end custom build (like PCs that are around 800-1200 dollars). How much do you think a custom build would save?

High end? Easily 500 to a thousand dollar. Alienware is literal extortion.

would I be stupid to upgrade my CPU to coffee lake and whatever mobo matches just so I can play Assassin's Creed Origins?

It would probably have DDR4 slots so I'd need to get new RAM as well

The game still takes like 97% usage on a 7700k. So the game is shit and poor optimized. Then again that is what you get for wanting to play ubisoft games.

plsnobully

>Ryzen 5 1600 require AM4 socket mobo
>all AM4 socket mobos require DDR4 ram
>have 16GB of DDR3 RAM

ya no...

No. You shouldn't buy 500 dollar worth of hardware to play a mediocre game. Your PC should be more than enough when it comes to playing any game so long as the settings aren't maxed.

I just completed a PC build and had maybe a dumb question.
I powered on the pc for the first time in the case (didn't do a build outside case so chop my head off now) and after about 5 seconds it powered down and rebooted automatically. After that it worked normally and has been for about 3 hours give or take.
I'm wondering what caused it to power down like that. This is my first build so sorry if this is a retarded question

How do I go about activating windows 7 ultimate?
Microsoft toolkit isn't working

Is there a registry edit I can do?

Ryzen?
Ryzen checks all the hardware, resets and then boots again.

for every bad evga thread i can give 20 good ones. they're the best.

>So the game is shit and poor optimized
They actually put drm into the character model so every time you move it resets itself. Shows the retarded lengths they used to try to get it not be able to be pirated.

thanks, just wanted a number i could throw in my essay.

How many cases of exploding VRAM have you got tho?

Ubisoft says it is not discernible so maybe the DRM doesn't have that huge an affect. But no game in recent memory has come close to using 90-100% CPU load all the time, so something clearly is fucked up about the game.