/tpg/ - ThinkPad General, Little Witch Academia edition

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Check libreboot.org for details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely avaiable, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0

T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet

P-series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

Official /tpg/ Discord Server:
discord.gg/cWZ8MgZ

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/g8k4OL8.jpg
ebay.com/itm/New-IBM-lenovo-X200-T400Palm-rest-with-Finger-Print-reader-45N4362/192141603939?hash=item2cbc883463:g:nGgAAOSwFnFWCWko
aliexpress.com/item/Option-GTM671W-MO6712-Mini-PCI-E-3G-Wireless-WWAN-wifi-Card-HSDPA-GPS-EDGE-WCDMA-UMTS/32756800438.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what is your thinkpad set up?

Lenovo X1 Carbon.

How do these rank?

For me it's the x201

bumping

How is ThinkPad shopping in Japan? Last time I was there I noticed a few used laptop stores, but I wasn't very interested at the time.

Going to Osaka in one month, advice appreciated.

Start-level tier so far, I'm just waiting for the docking station to come.

Check Yahoo Auctions, shit's cheap.

i do not use my thinkpad as desktop replacement, already have a meme gaming desktop for that.

Are you invisible man?
>inb4 only to girls

dude is 3C degrees here, i have 2 sweaters and thermal gloves.

Consider buying a heater user, the cold is no joke.
There's no thinkpads when you're dead.

Eat some cookies. You have like no mass.

wallpaper please?

That's weird. I just made that 1080p, then it changed resolution to that.

x201 + comfy chair + comfy blanket

Thanks for the advice friendo!

Now post x201swithdumbanimewallpaper.jpg
I want to have the entire set.

im on a reserve park control office up a montain we are replacing electrical wiring and stuff, while this was a goverment facility it really fell into disrepair. now some company took the reserve leasing and they have us making upgrades to the existing infraestructure.

so, thats why theres no heater yet installed.

its just a crude cutout of kim pines from scott pilgrim comic that i put on a grunge wallpaper in photoshop

Where did you get the X201 palmrest without a trackpad? I need this shit

I want a thinkpad, but I also enjoy the occasional demanding video game.
What to do?

sorry forgot to add the wallpaper
i.imgur.com/g8k4OL8.jpg

>you have like no mass
>if you werent so skinny you wouldnt be cold all the time
>you should eat more, youre basically a skeleton

FUCK YOU AND FUCK THE RETARDS WHO SPOUT THIS SHIT I AM A NORMAL HUMAN BEING I HAVE EVEN BEEN VERIFIED TO BE AVERAGE WEIGHT FOR MY HEIGHT BY A DOCTOR IT IS YOU FAT FUCKS WHO ARE THE PROBLEM WE WOULDNT NEED TO KEEP THE AC AT 50 IF YOU RETARDS COULD JUST STOP EATING EVERYTHING IN SIGHT AND HAVING HEAT STROKES DUE TO YOUR OVERT FATNESS GO FUCK YOURSELVES

I fucked up and bought a w540 with a really shitty screen, like 5 degrees of proper viewing angle. It's 1920x1080, is it possible to swap in a better screen, and if so, where are reputable sites to buy them?

quality comfy user

Anorexia denial, the post.

just use a x200 palmrest

Muh fingerprint scanner though

x230t dude clad in winter clothes in a country without actual winter here

chillout senpai.

>plastic water bottle
enjoy your transition into womanhood

dremel and steady hand.

unless you fap every 3 hours

>plastic water bottle
dude stop reading dailymail.

(((daily mail)))

if you werent retarded then you would've realized that x200 palmrest can be had with a fingerprint scanner

ebay.com/itm/New-IBM-lenovo-X200-T400Palm-rest-with-Finger-Print-reader-45N4362/192141603939?hash=item2cbc883463:g:nGgAAOSwFnFWCWko

Not pin compatible with the X201. I know there's one like this for the X201, but it's 99 burger coupons on parts websites.

Stickers fucking when?

Only if it says Stargate Atlantis, is allowed.

>that thinkpad keyboard
Where can I get one

This is all you need

The thing i regret most in life right now is getting msi instead of Thinkpad
Now that i have an msi laptop, there is no point of getting one
I really wish i had a t540p

How can I tell if the ThinkPad battery being sold on eBay is LG cell or Sanyo cell?

>tfw I bought an off-leasing Latitude E5450 for just 270 bucks
I feel like a winner. Its very comfy. The keyboard isn't as good as a thinkpad one, but its pretty good to type on it.
It doesn't include trackpoint though.

What's that tablet? E-ink?

comiket love

>just got a ~$100 T420
This is my first foray into memepads. Is this a rabbit hole or can I stop now?

Any reason to not get a backlit ThinkPad keyboard over a non-backlit?

>t440s
What's better: t440s or t440p?

t440p, better hardware and generally the same price

I kinda wanna get into thinkpads, I am open for anything but I would prefer a lighter and smaller one. either 13" or 15" screen and with a touchpad. also it should have an SSD, doesnt have to be a big one but I want one anyway. which one should I look for and what would be a reasonable price ? I am from germany so would be nice if someone who bought them in € could tell me what a good price would be.

That's like.. all of them. Check out the T series.

Preferably T420, T430, T460, and T470

>x230t with x220 keyboard
x220 here, officially jelly. How's your battery life?

X220 for $100 or so
Decent gaming desktop for $500 or so
Use NVIDIA GEForce Experience with Moonlight addon for Chrome

new x220 owner here
What's the cheapest way to get my eGPU on with minimal DIY skill?

EXP GDC with the Expresscard adapter, just plug things up (you'll need either a PSU for the card or some specific Dell laptop charger) and it's ready to go

>EXP GDC with the Expresscard adapter
Thanks, based user. I happen to have an old Dell charger on hand, so I may be in business.

I broke the PCI port where the WiFi card is placed. Would this hybrid WWAN/WiFi card work?

aliexpress.com/item/Option-GTM671W-MO6712-Mini-PCI-E-3G-Wireless-WWAN-wifi-Card-HSDPA-GPS-EDGE-WCDMA-UMTS/32756800438.html

As long as your device isn't cucked by the pci whitelist i don't see why it shouldn't work.

>pic
src/aftermath?

>pci whitelist
I think there's a custom BIOS that removes this

Depends on the model but yeah, that's why i said "as long as"

Thanks mah dude

Curious as to how much storage most of you guys have jammed into your ThinkPad

only 128
I didn't want shitty hard drive speeds so I found one on sale quickly. I'll eventually buy lots more.

No you assholes

What is Sup Forums?

Did you mean Sup Forums?

OP is Samsung 850 EVO 250GB.

i get 4 hours on linux, no matter what i do.

Where can I buy a 9-cell battery for a T420?

Search for Battery 55++ on eBay and be careful to pick the 9 cell because 55+ results also show and sellers that don't know the difference.

>Sup Forums
I don't give a fuck what anyone says I wouldn't even jizz on that sticker

Will a 128GB mSATA be enough for dual booting Win10 + Ubuntu + a handful of programs?

Looking at getting a shitty Kingston ms200 SSD for $80 but will spend an extra $30 if its worth 240GB

search "genuine thinkpad t420 battery" on ebay, pick cheapest legit looking one

Yes but it's absolutely worth the extra for 240GB

dont think so senpai

i have windows 10 on a 240GB SSD and i have to periodically cleaning temp files and stuff.

I'm using a 32GB SSD as main drive on my X61t with Win10, W10 on Compact mode uses around ~6GB so it's fine. I have all my media and other shit on my NAS so 32gb is plenty but if you want to store shit on both OSes then no, 128gb won't be enough.

Is it worth paying even more for a Samsung 850 (which i can't find in stock anywhere), even if my x230t can't utilize SATA III speeds?

Do mSATA SSDs go down in price on Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

yes, but dont expect too many options to buy

Think i'll just get the SSD now, and see if i can find a cheap HDD on Cyber Monday

I managed to cram a i7 2720qm 8gb ram 240gb ssd and 500gb hdd into my z370 today all in a 13 inch size for portability battery life is about 2.5 hours still

Hey anons, quick question. I have an ultrabay 750m from a Lenovo Y510p. Will it work in a T450? I'll try it tomorrow but I thought one of you guys might know off the top of your head.

>Buy ThinkPad for $160
>Spend $200 on upgrades and parts today
>Still have another $70-90 of upgrades to go

This meme better be worth it.

Should have bought a T450.

showed up for the little witch, but I actually have a potentially pretty dumb question, but anyway I've had my T420 for about six months now, and while I've never really bothered looking it up if I'm being honest, I've been wondering whats the deal with the yellow USB port? does it do anything special? is it faster? I only really started to wonder after I got about five older scrap thinkpads and noticed that any o them that had more than one USB port seemed to have one of them as a yellow one, I'll go to stupid questions if you guys insist, but I really thought this would be a good place to ask, also a good time to ask cause little witch

I googled "yellow usb port"

it lets you charge your dildo while the laptop is turned off

There are USB powered dildos now?
>Technology will never stop amazing me

Has anybody gotten the X201 tablet touchscreen to work for Ubuntu 16.04?

It's almost comfy, but that's what my bed's for.

How far in to Mario Odyssey are you? I got stuck with the red/blue joycons because it's what they had when I bought it.

Fourth or fifth world. I had my choice of red/blue or gray/grey, and I think I made the right choice.

I would have gone with gray, but I bought it on a lark after asking every store I visited if they had one. I was in Best Buy one day and they happened to have one left. I finished the main story last night, it gets a lot more challenging after that. I'm going to say it's on par with 64.

Don't worry, he made a product for you too.

Sounds great to me, I love it so far.

This is the first time I've yelled at the TV since the Special worlds in Mario World or trying to get all 120 stars in 64.

Sounds like a blast. I haven't yelled at a screen since I was 14. Thanks user!

I can dig it. The dock is a very nice addition.
Same but it's nice to have a setup that allows you to.
Damn, I like all of the patterns.
It's BPA free so it's fine. Besides we're all going to die, my time will come when the Lord calls me.
It's an IBM keyboard. It has no super key though so watch out for that if you use it a lot. Also, eBay.
It's an e-ink reader. Specifically, an Onyx Boox N96, the non-touch screen version with a frontlight.
I wish I had a bed to use my ThinkPad's on. Only the floor for me.

Do you at least have a sleeping bag, or one of those Japanese bed table things? Are you a homeless /tpg/ user?