Brits will unironically defend this

>Brits will unironically defend this

>tfw we also do this

just for once americans are right in their special snowflakism

You aint seen nothing.

There's a hospital around here that goes E->0->1

The first floor is literally the third floor by American nomenclature.

>American buildings don't have a 13th floor because its a spoiky number

here we go again

Unfortunately this is true

What does E stand for? Is 0 normally put as the floor above the ground in Sweden?
>British kitchens don't include non-bread ingredients for food because it's too French

We call it Etage or Yarus, signifying the place BETWEEN the floor and the ceiling, where people live n shit. Why would you even count floors. Get your shit together, anglos

Because people stand on the floor, which makes it the most relevant part of the building for human purposes.

not me, i identify as a spider you rude fuck

>zero would be underground
>american """"logic""""

we dont do that in Argentina

here we say Planta baja
and first floor is like the british one.

There is no floor zero for us.

>yanks cannot understand the concept of zero
mate there's no number 13 on most british streets

There is a ground zero though

zero represents non-existence. When you by a load of bread would the initial piece you pull out be the zeroth slice or the first? If you're counting people would you go 0>1>2>3 or 1>2>3?

means something diffrent

>how can zero or negative numbers exist when negative things cannot exist???xDDDD
Nice analogy retard, I bet you start to measer with your ruler at 1 too instead of 0.
Starting at 0 also make way more sence since a negative floor means it is underground, while ameritards have to come up with something different for those.

>Ground floor is first floor
American stupidity strikes again

so what if the building has underground parts

Meh, apparently we do this the 'murican way. Didnt realise.

Call it basement or car park level.

*realize

What if there are multiple levels

No seriously, we do this here too, we call the ground floor the ground floor, and what comes after the "first floor"
But I hate it
It makes no sense
I never do it
I always call the ground floor the first floor, and the """""""first"""""""" floor the second floor
America is right
For once

Seems reasonable. I'm fine with zero based numbering.

Only retarded languages can not understand the concept that arrays' first index is 0.

E is the parking lot.

That's what he meant.

Basement Floor 1, 2, ect.

FOY

Germanic languages are better than Romance languages

I have to agree with the yankie, that's how it should go. You can't go from naming floors to numerals. Ground floor must be either 0 or 1, but 0 floor wouldn't make sense, as it means there is no floor. So it must be first floor.

germans do the same like brits, i like the american version desu

Don't push it

finally 'murricans do something the right way

Zero doesn't mean there is no floor. It's just a number to start counting at.

it starts at zero because a ruler isn't just about whole numbers. in other words its so you can measure fractions of 1. Nothing is ZERO centimeters long because then it wouldn't exist and what's the point of measuring something that doesn't exist?

Honestly who gives a fuck

zero's imply non-existence. you don't start counting with zero.

I do

my arbitrary pointless thing is better than your arbitrary pointless thing

wow

>rejecting Sup Forums's spirit

We do it like the brits in German too.

I mean just by logic how can a first floor be a floor after your logic?

>yfw you realise that american rulers start from 1 instead of 0

Yes you do. What if you were a midget shorter than a foot?

Like said, you can't start counting from 0. You don't have 9 fingers do you? (or you might, but that's generally people don't have).
When there is occurrence of something it means 0 cannot be, and the first numeral to describe that there is "something" is 1, meaning one copy of this. You have 2 hands, not 1 (0+1).
It's just like how shadow is not dark light, but lack of light itself.

I would be a fraction of a foot not zero feet

But you didn't start counting from 1

>being retarded

>hah got ya
but I didn't start from zero did I? It would be something like 3/4's a foot not 0 feet. Nothing is zero feet tall as it would imply non-existence.

>be me
>go round pressing '0' buttons on hotel magic-doory-go-between-floory control panels
>belly laugh as sandal and aloha-shirt wearing tourists vanish into screeching non-existence

We're saying your system is retarded not magical.

Do you americunts also call the roof the first ceiling?

>mfw i imagine the literally thousands of americans who have probably gone to the wrong floor by mistake in the UK

Pic related is a traditional American 5-step staircase.

the way the brits do it actually makes sense. we use the same system.

It's an European thing, not a Brit thing.

>mate there's no number 13 on most british streets

Where do you live? Google maps shows there are a bunch of 13 xxxxx road/streets in my town

nice shitty analogy

I usually see

>Etc
>Second Floor
>Ground Floor

Learn what arbitrary means.

My local hospital has the basement as floor 1, ground floor as floor 2, etc.

Why? You're on the ground and go up to the first step.

Just like in a building you're on the ground and go to the first floor.

Ground doesn't mean dirt, necessarily. Certainly not on the rest of Europe, which uses this system.

we also do this you dumb burger

I don't get the American way of doing it, like aren't you supposed to start at zero

>walk into the first floor of a house
>it's not the first floor, the first floor is the second floor of the house
wtf

That would imply the ground is empty, that the building would start from first floor (as if somehow magically floating). Or if you were to remove the stairs, would the ground beneath move with it?
If you were to move a multistory apartment, it would leave empty spot.
So first step is the first part of the whole system. Just like how first floor is the first part of the whole building.

I think this is the most retarded thing i've read all day.
But don't worry, i've seen far worse.

Think of it this way: we're counting the extra floors of the building, since the ground floor exists at all times.

World trade centre makes sense now.

>we don't count things that are constant everywhere
Is this why Romanians still have a gypsy problem?

>yfw you realise that american clocks go straight from 23:59 to 00:01

Good one.

kek

A building is different from the outside. You would say the first/ground floor as part of the structure yes? Well in the moors analogy the outside and the stairs weren't separated thus its a shitty analogy for how a building works. Since its worth differentiating the floors of the building it makes more sense to start from one because zero specifically implies non-existence/null/other shit. Also what if you had a flying building? Would you still have a ground floor? What about a floating one? would you have a water floor? Brits just aren't prepared for the future.

the concept of zero is incomprehensible to americans, apparently it's just not a thing there

Jesus Christ, american posts give me melancholic thoughts.

The actual meaning of zero is apparently lost on you brits as you seem to think the only special thing about it is that it comes before 1.

Ah yes very impressive

We don't, we do it the British way, the ground floor being a planta baja... I can't believe you're supporting this American bs...

Kek.

>Also what if you had a flying building? Would you still have a ground floor?
As in a plane or a ship? We'd call it a deck.

Even if you count literally floors of a building, I still don't understand how is ground floor not the first one. Are you all C/C++ programmers or something ?

It's something to talk about on Sup Forums

>implying C/C++ are bad languages
>even confy python
>even shit java does it
What are you, a Matlab soft-science faggot?

This
Matlabniggers BTFO

Calm the fuck down Alberto, I love C++. I just compared a British building with a C/C++ array. I honestly don't understand what made you go apeshit.

It's just rare that I get to make Matlab jokes. I fucking hate matlab.

That said, what's wrong with the 0-first approach?

>I love C++
This means you're gay.
Real men use Haskell or Common Lisp.

> learn C++, Java and Python
> be gay, according to some Ukropian faggot on Sup Forums
> have job

Since when are floor and ground the same thing?

Do you call a patch of dirt outside a floor? Or ground? Obviously it's ground. When indoors, where there's wood or tile or carpet, it's a floor.

C++, Java, and Python are more useful for finding employment desu

> be the Ukropian fag
> learn Haskell or Common Lisp
> no one fucking needs you except high-end science companies you're not suitable for.

>he's a functionalmemer
If you're gonna be a hipster just learn Scheme instead.

Both are wrong.
Correct is:

Ground floor
Mezzanin
First floor
Second floor
etc.

How many floors is a single story building?

The implication is that it's the floor set right above the ground. That still doesn't take away from it being the first floor, though.

>mfw work for a globally respected university and force the students to enter the building on Level 2

>have job
Is being a monkey considered a legitimate job nowadays?

#BlackLivesMatter

>high-end science companies
Haskell iz best 4 back-end and creating your own domain specific languages.

Japan doesn't have 4th floor because 4 is pronouced the same as death