Moving to Berlin

Student here, thinking of moving to Berlin with an European citizenship already. Will live there on my own, work and survive of 20hrs a week plus my savings. Eventually, after uni, want to start own company.

Good idea? Easy to sruvive there? Possible at least?

Thanks guys

Other urls found in this thread:

jobmensa.de/jobsuche/stellenanzeigen
immobilienscout24.de/
wg-gesucht.de/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

By the way, I don't care about not living fancy, just wanna survive and have a space to study and sleep really

Nice city, cheap place to live.

I spend time there regurarly. Recommend++

>Berlin
>I will work

Yeah? Good! I was thinking of being able to work there and survive... Do you know anything about rent?

Because of the party or because of lack of jobs? Party ye?

No one works in Berlin m8, maybe Kebab vendors but that's it. It is Africa tier, just go to some house and squat there and steal what you need like the locals.

What passport do you have?

Bro I'm being serious, gammon.

I have an Italian citizenship (however it is thanks to my grandfather) and an Argentinean passport

Are you the Turk? Will you work selling Doner?

Depends were you are looking for a flat, but they are cheaper than here in finland.

Eastern part is not bad, even it is becoming full hipster place. I wouldn't choose Kreuzberg...

Also buying one might be an option price levels are about half from helsinki levels, lol (at least couple of years ago when I was looking for a flat there).

Flag is Australian, citizenship Italian and passport Argentine

>I'm a Turk

I really don't think I have the money to buy a flat man, and don't care much about hipsters either, as long as the place has work and floors, I'll survive.

Ok...

I know some berliners who make money by working as waitresses eg. while studying phd, so it is not far fetched idea at all.

Dude, that really is what I need to hear, stories about expats who are doing what I intend on. So thanks man! When you were thinking of buying a flat there, did you check any website/community/forum in particular for help??

jobmensa.de/jobsuche/stellenanzeigen
There are quiete a lot of jobs. If I were you, I would stay away from the service industry, since there is too much competition with all the hipsters who thinks thats cool.

>Flag is Australian, citizenship Italian and passport Argentine
>>I'm a Turk
Iissed the Argue/Italian post and there is a Turk with an Aussie flag.

Sweet! Service meaning... Hospitality? As in bar work, waiter, barista etc? Or service like retail? Selling clothes, working with stock in shops, etc.

Damn, walked right into that one aye. Showing off America's geographical knowledge boii

How is your German?
If you speak German and perfect English, working should be easy, but there are very few jobs that don't requiere German. And for those you have to compete with all the immigrant scum, hipsters from all over the world etc.
So calculate 9€/h without language skills and no leverage when it comes to schedule and hours etc.

Yeah so that's pretty easy to do there. Unlike most of the country it's a city with some actual bad areas so you might want to look into that before you regret your choice of location.
>want to start own company
No problem either with EU citizenship.
Party might be a problem.
Job shouldn't be but depends on what you want to do of course.
Unemployment rate is double the countries average but still lower than France's lel
I don't live there so the situation might be different, but here for flats (at least renting, not sure how well these fare with buying) you usually use
immobilienscout24.de/ (tend to be more professional offers)
wg-gesucht.de/ (more casual offers, not just shared apartments as the name implies)
I also heard that facebook communities exist for that kind of thing so that might be a realistic option in Berlin.
Unis also commonly have programs to set you up but that might take a while.

hospitality. Its full
What do you study? Berlin is in need of programmers. That's the best branch where you might not need German, too

Berlin has extremely cheap rent compared to other German cities, but the job market is shit unless you're working in arts, film/media, advertisement or fashion.
The city is an ugly shithole full of hipsters, rural Swabians that moved there due to low rent and turks, but if you enjoy a good nightlife and cultural activities it's pretty nice.

German visa procedures can be pretty fucky, so I'd try to get a work contract/job offer arranged before you come here. Think about setting money aside for German lessions too.

I speak English and Spanish with native proficiency, and as soon as I decide to finally move to Berlin I will begin studying German (I have ease for languages).

By the way, when does uni start? Depends on the institution, right? Because I need to begin my studies next year, latest.

Yeah... Don't wanna go to the worst area in Berlin, truly (you mean worst as in safety, right?)

>Party might be a problem.
Not even
>Job shouldn't be but depends on what you want to do of course.
I can be a bartender, but really I am good with computers and can pick up things easily.

>I don't live there so the situation might be different, but here for flats (at least renting, not sure how well these fare with buying) you usually use
immobilienscout24.de/ (tend to be more professional offers)
wg-gesucht.de/ (more casual offers, not just shared apartments as the name implies)
I also heard that facebook communities exist for that kind of thing so that might be a realistic option in Berlin.
Unis also commonly have programs to set you up but that might take a while.

Yeah, living alone would be nice, but I don't mind roomates that much. I guess everyone has to deal with them once in a while

Yeah, well, might have to get one anyway, lol.

I will be studying sciences, more specifically biotech (or whatever focuses on genetics) and anything related. I was teaching myself a programming language a month ago or so, but didn't have much incentive or anyone to learn with me, and as I said, wish to start own company and don't know if I can really spend my days coding away in such a crowded market

Can't be such an ugly shithole man, startup capital of the of Europe (next to London and Paris) and is surrounded by nature.

As I said, got an EU citizenship

Bring a gun

>Yeah... Don't wanna go to the worst area in Berlin, truly (you mean worst as in safety, right?)
I don't know about Straya's crime rate, but Germany is absurdly safe if you disregard pickpockets and "refugee" enrichment. I'm albino white and can walk through all the so-called no go areas with no problems.

>Can't be such an ugly shithole man
It's absurdly ugly. Think commie blocks mixed with omnipresent construction sites and the ugliest post-war architecture possible. As I said, rents are low though which is a blessing compared to Hamburg/Munich/Frankfurt.

Anyway, German employers and institutions have a massive hard-on for degrees. Bring your high school degree, any college/job diplomas and certifications. If you have the money, try to get them translated.

Oh no! Three houses of a couple poor families of immigrants with probably zero education who are near starving and might have a loaded weapon! What should I do?? Avoid the area perhaps? Berlin is doomed.

Being serious though, I heard about the recent sexual assaults. The charged responsables should be fucking castrated.

Yeah, nah, Oz is awfully safe. I come from South America anyway, not like I give a shit.

Alright, but still surrounded by natural places, and cities never attract me much anyway.

I've got a high school degree and a Certificate in Hospitality, could get some other meaningless and useless shit, but yeah, don't know how it is over there

>Three houses of a couple poor families of immigrants
Best part is that the "slum" in that picture is just where punks and hobos hang out to drink and smoke weed. During winter, they all go back into their comfy apartments.

>surrounded by natural places
Yeah but Germany has 80 million people in a tiny space, it's not a barely populated continent like Australia, so get used to your nature being a tiny forest between the cities.

Looks like it desu, don't think the so methodical Germans would allow big slums to grow in their beloved country.

Alright dude, damn, but Australia is like 90% fucking dead land. Have you ever been here?

There are big ones too and the smaller ones are plentiful. In fact forest cover is at ~32% still, same as NZ. That's not too bad.

Thats because the mayority of the german population is concentrated in a few urban centers, mostly in the west. Hell, the Rhine-valley and its side valleys (Ruhr, Sieg, Mosel, Main, Neckar etc.) are basically from the swiss to the dutch border one huge urban sprawl in which almost half of the german population lives, while eastern Germany is rather sparsely populated. Berlin is kinda odd because its this fuckhuge city right in the middle of the northeast german tundra, smack in the middle of nowhere build on a swamp (the name Berlin comes actually from an old slavic word for swamp).

Webdev memesters or real programmers? Interested in heading there after I'm done too