/pcbg/ PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

GPUs:
>Vega 64 is barely better than 56 for $100 more, avoid it
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti, 1080, Vega 56 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/xRZYM8
pcgamer.com/battlefield-1-performance-analysis/
pcpartpicker.com/list/DD67m8
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144111
pcpartpicker.com/list/6v3VM8
youtube.com/watch?v=XAuOmJVZeQI
youtube.com/watch?v=epIlB49SNTI
pcpartpicker.com/list/ByWVM8
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4560-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-1200/3892vs3931
pcpartpicker.com/list/GcgR2R
pcpartpicker.com/list/qVfYM8
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/3646vs3649
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Intel Xeon E3-1230 V6 & Gigabyte X170-WS ECC Motherboard for $550 AUD
how much of a rip off is this and should i just wait for cheap coffee lake mobos then pair it with the locked 6 core?
inb4 no upgrade path, not interested in upgrading this build later

pcpartpicker.com/list/xRZYM8

this is the most price effective build you can buy right now.

>quad core platform with ECC support for $550
Ryzen does this but for less than half of the cost look at a 1400 or 1500x

>shitty gimped 1080
>not a 1070 or vega 56
its shit

>ryzen
>ECC support
don't lie to me

Which emulator doesn't work well on Ryzen?
On PCSX2 I get better performance (mostly zero stutter) on games emulation. Biggest difference I found was on Zone of the Enders 2.
On my old 3570k it had quite a bit of stuttering, with Ryzen the stuttering is gone.

I wish I could go more in-depth but the character limit is tingling me and I haven't slept in 36 hours, so excuse my poor grammar.
It all basically comes down to developers deciding to "finally use up" all the available VRAM in modern systems. We had seen 8GB systems in the past as far back as 2015 IIRC, but it wasn't until 2016 and 2017 that VRAM was starting to become a serious bottleneck. It all comes down to texture "budget" which is how much VRAM developers allocate to textures alone. Remember Ultra textures in 2011 was 2k textures AT BEST, most likely 1k. Today it means 4k or 8k textures, it's not a small jump.
Also postprocessing budget, which takes up a hefty amount of both calculations from the GPU and VRAM for those calculations. Good thing though is that in most games, postprocessing is just visual garbage that adds very little, with a few notable exceptions like Alien Isolation and such.
Battlefield 1 was one of the biggest offenders that I've gotten to test amply on, seriously 20fps on just one setting alone, sometimes even larger tax.

If you want some more indepth on settings you could check out this performance report from PCGamer.
pcgamer.com/battlefield-1-performance-analysis/

>shitty gimped 1080
better price to performance.

>not a 1070 or vega 56
worse price to performance.

It does you retard monkey, not all motherboards support it and you will have to prob get a high end X370 to get it but it DOES support it for half the price of that shitty intel housefire

>$500 for the good 1070ti models
>$520 for good 1080 models

also

Vega 56 is msrp finally which makes it the best price to performance in that segment, but i wont argue about the 1070 being a bad value

I would consider Vega56 if there were AIB cards out. Blower AMD cards suck massive dick and it is already november so they have no excuse except incompetence.

>$500 for the good 1070ti models
evga sc = $470
asus strix = $485

>$520 for good 1080 models

evga sc = $550
asus strix = $550

Seriously if you want Vega just wait for AIB.
t. owner of a housefire 64 with a jet engine fan

Is the Phanteks P300 the best value case to buy in 2017?

It is already November. How long must people keep waiting? Jesus christ. I remember people telling others to wait for Vega which will blow pascal out of the water LAST NOVEMBER 2017.

definitely up there.

How the FUCK do you clean a 1440 144hz monitor without leaving streaks of water or cleaning solution all over it? I tried using a cleaning solution (highest ranked on Amazon) with a microfiber cloth and all I did was cover my entire screen in streaks.

How the feck do you clean a 1440 144hz monitor without leaving streaks of water or cleaning solution all over it? I tried using a cleaning solution (highest ranked on Amazon) with a MICROFIBER cloth and all I did was cover my entire screen in STREAKS.

figure 8s idiot

>calls someone else an idiot
>can't use brackets properly

i only edited his post and added the line about figure 8s so yell at him about that

That's what I did. Gently moved in a figure 8 motion. But when I shine a flashlight on the screen it's covered in circular streaks.

ok get two clothes on wet and one dry use
e the wet one to get most of it then dry the screen entirly

>Gently move
That is what you should do when using the wet cloth + cleaning solution.
The next step is taking a dry cloth and going at it like you would when polishing a car.

How wet should this cloth be? The cleaning solution evaporates before I finish wiping even a small part of my monitor.

about as wet as you feel is safe for the monitor the important thing is to lift the dirt them remove it if you just wipe once you are mostly smearing it

Take a cloth, wrap it around your finger, put the solution on your fingertip, wetting the cloth. Go gently in figure of 8 on the screen on areas that have marks, dirt etc. Repeat till all are gone. Wet the cloth whenever you feel that it has dried up (at the tip).

Afterwards, take a dry cloth and hold it like you would a cloth when used to clean a table/polish a car. Tilt the screen at an angle against the light so you can see the figure 8 streaks, go hard on these streaks, till they are gone and your satisfied. If the streaks are getting hard to remove, switch to another part of the cloth.

>TFW did the same thing

Screen was barely dirty at all. Now it's smudged to fuck. Are screen cleaners a meme?

Screen cleaners are solvents designed to make removing smudges and other stuff easier. You still have to remove the screen cleaner once it has done its job.

like this

>You still have to remove the screen cleaner once it has done its job.

Explain how this is possible.

>Spray cloth with cleaner
>Wipe part of screen with smudge
>1.5 seconds after I'm done wiping, cleaner evaporates
>Smudge left behind where I wiped

Am I supposed to have two separate clothes, one wet and one dry?

You need one cloth to apply the cleaner.
You need another cloth to remove the cleaner once its done it job.

That is because it is easier to remove the cleaner than remove the smudge.

>You need another cloth to remove the cleaner once its done it job

While the cleaner is still wet? Or after it's dried?

still wet the cleaner has stuff that doesnt evaporate in it

I've got two spare Q6600/4GB DDR2 PCs sitting around doing nothing. Worth setting up as Folding/SETI PCs?

Doesn't matter desu. What matters if that the smudge that you applied the cleaner on is gone. Go at it like how you would polish a table, window or a car.

Jesus the difference between my old FX-8350 and the R5 1600 is so huge in every aspect.

If anyone's on the fence about upgrading FX, don't even think twice about it. Good fucking riddance.

but can you emulate ps2 games?

Using a 4690k at stock and a sapphire 390. What are my options as far as monitors go? I know I can't handle 4k, but am hoping I can break into 1440p or 1080p 144hz a bit.

Should i just stick with my standard 1080p 60hz monitors until I can afford an upgrade?

Just stick with 1080p 60, you might get lucky with 1440p 60 for a few older games.

My 380X could do close to 100fps in most games I threw at it in low/medium, however after two months with the 144hz monitor running everything on low to scrape by frames I caved in and upgraded the GPU.

Are you wiping in circles?

>Like you polish a window or car

Then why not do this?

>Get spray bottle
>Fill with cleaner or water
>Spray on area of screen that needs cleaning
>Wipe off with microfiber cloth
>Repeat

Why bother getting the cloth wet at all?

Cause your monitor is still an electronic device. You want to get as little water/liquid on it as possible. You can use the method you mentioned and there are screen cleaners that actually come in spray bottles but using the wet fingertip method ensures there is no excessive liquid on your screen.

>the wet fingertip method

how the fuck do you clean a 27" screen with a cloth over just your fingertip

No way in hell you do 144hz on 1440 with that card assuming the settings aren't cranked down and they're older/less demanding games.

The processor might be fine though. Even if there's games out there that use more than 4 threads Haswell's IPC is very competent against recent architecture. If you OCed that CPU you might be pretty happy with it for a little longer.

Easy. You go for the smudges. And you are gently rubbing so it is not like that is fucking hard work.

Yeah, I figured as much. I can still max basically everything on 1080p anyway, so I'll hold off on the fancy stuff and just go for an upgrade then the next generation of stuff is out. Thanks for the responses, lads.

While I remember though, any recommendations for a good modular PSU? I've got a nonmodular right now and it's kind of a cabling nightmare. something above 650w is ideal, as I am interested in overclocking this 4690k eventually. Don't really know much about psu stuff except that you don't want a shit one.

Anything by Seasonic is quality.

wow, rx 580-8gs are only like $20-30 more than 1060-6gs. why is nobody talking about this?

Why are the prices coming down?
Or did the 1060 price go up?

Anyway the new hot topic is RAM prices.

I paid 245.91 dollars for a 16GB 3000Mhz RAM. Thanks EU.

build for a friend that wants a relatively small form factor machine for CAD and games. budget around $2k. Any thoughts?

pcpartpicker.com/list/DD67m8

What's the better TN 1440 144hz panel within $800?

>Dell S2716DG
>Dell S2417DG
>Get 4K
>Something else

Does anyone have a Dell S2417DG and can confirm the color banding issues? It looks like the perfect monitor unless those complaints are true.

I have one. It does have that issue.

How bad is it? Would you still recommend it?

Honestly, I don't care about it. It's not noticeable unless you're playing vidya that switches contrast from light to dark colors really fast, and I would absolutely recommend it. No other issues whatsoever.

Just make sure to adjust the color settings in the menu like everyone says.

Sounds good, I think I'm just gonna pick one up and play around with it a few days. If it doesn't satisfy me I'll just send it back. Thanks user.

No problem! Enjoy!

>for CAD
>TN 1440 144hz panel

Maybe he should consider a monitor with ips panel and higher resolution but slower refresh rate.

(You)
>TN 1440 144hz panel

Sorry, I'm not the user looking for a CAD system. I quoted his post by mistake.

Any thoughs on this piece? Good? Bad?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144111

msi stinks. go with asrock.

Is Ryzen still a good purchase right now? or should I wait for a bit longer? I can probably wait till April.

Can anyone tell me what the last trustworthy / stable drivers for Vega are?
Having tons of crashes on 17.10 and 17.11

1070 ti or 1080 ti ?

i can see a few issues

its a 24 inch 1440p monitor with a tn panel

Yes. Ryzen refresh in February/March, minor improvements but not worth waiting for at this point. Maybe builders in January can consider waiting.

are you in time for the MSRP 1070ti?

Is buying a refurbished server mobo a bad idea?

>Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply and Silverstone - SG08B-LITE Mini ITX Desktop Case are not compatible.
is this what the bracket is for?

Maybe get a slightly stronger PSU

>Whether a higher frequency or higher core count is faster depends on how well a program is designed to take advantage of multiple CPU cores. In the case of AutoCAD, the majority of the software is only single threaded so it is only able to utilize a single core of the CPU. For this reason, our general recommendation when choosing a processor is to get the highest frequency.

1600 will perform the same as 1700 in CAD according to that, while saving 80$ (so prob like 120 sorrybucks)

>3600 ram
uhhh you sure about that?

>3TB HDD
according to some random shitposter in this thread, 3TB has high failure rates across the board
go 1 2 or 4, avoid 1.5 & 3

>vega
not sure if that's a good idea, with all the issues and complains I've seen about it
I'd just go with team green in this case and pick up a 1070ti if you can still find one for near MSRP

pcpartpicker.com/list/6v3VM8

youtube.com/watch?v=XAuOmJVZeQI
youtube.com/watch?v=epIlB49SNTI

I want to upgrade my PC. I was thinking about two different possibilities

1. Buy a 1060 6GB and 16GB of 3000mhz ram
2. Buy a 1070 Ti

What should I do? I'm not buying a SSD right now.

I did it.
So far so good.
got mine from natex.

Upgrade your CPU first.

I'm trying to see what clocks/voltages I can get out of my Vega 64 in stable forms, been messing around with overclock/underclock/undervolt for a few days and still can't settle on something stable, though I think it was bad drivers. I've changed to 17.30 which seems to be working fine (zero artifacts or crashes as of now).
Any other anons with Vega cards would be interested in participating in a Google Drive doc (or whatever non botnet alternative Sup Forums would rather use, I could input the data into an excel by hand myself and upload it periodically and add it to the OP if needed even).
I want to see what people's systems are running like, as I see lots of varying reports on the internet that I don't know if I should trust. I hear lots of people say a 100mV undervolt won't induce instability, perhaps I've been unlucky or perhaps they simply haven't pushed the card to its very limits like I've been doing and haven't run into problems.

Data I would need:

>Vega model (56, 64, 64 LC)
>Aftermarket cooler Y/N (if Y, wich)
>Drivers in use
>Software used to edit settings (Wattman, OverdiveNTool, MSI Afterburner...)
>P6 Frequency in Mhz
>P6 Voltage in mV
>P7 Frequency in Mhz
>P7 Voltage in mV
>HBM2 P3 Frequency in Mhz
>HBM2 P3 Voltage in mV
>Power limit
>Temps (Avg, max allowed & target if possible)
>Comments, fps results, etc

Any takers?

Why? What's wrong with a 1600?

There's literally nothing wrong with the 1600, ignore Coffin Lake marketers.
Your ram is running very slow, I assume you got slow ram and Spooccy is reporting your speeds correctly, I'd update that first and then save up for a 1070Ti or a regular 1070 if you can find it for cheap.

Yeah, I have 2400mhz right now.

1060 + 16 gb 3000mhz ram would be around $600 and a 1070 Ti would be about $600. I'm not sure if a 1060 would be much of an improvement over my 1050 Ti though

It would if it was the 6GB one, however it's not worth it in my opinion. Not only is the new architecture from Nvidia right around the corner, you should honestly invest in just the ram now and try to sell your current ram for the highest you can sell it and then just save up. Vega is in a bad spot right now due to immature drivers and no AIB partner cards, don't make the same mistake I did and buy a blower design. You can wait a couple more months with the 1050 Ti just fine and see what pricing is like for the 1070/1070ti and Vega 56 once AIB cards come out (if they do at all, fingers crossed) and decide then.

Nothing, it's some boring troll

>Coffin Lake
>marketers
Quit meming. Anyway there's no reason to upgrade his RAM for a 10% boost in CPU limited situations. Yeah, if you're buying you want fast RAM in the first place. Not worth it to switch out.

Your choices are stupid. Just get a 1060 and be done (+ SSD, but ya know, we can't all be smart)

>3TB has high failure rates across the board
I didn't exactly say that, but there are enough bad 1.5TB and 3TB models that it's better to avoid them all together. The Seagates were particularly bad, which I know both from statistics and personal experience

You can always try manually overclocking your RAM

If he can sell it for even 70% of the price he paid for it, he won't be losing out that much.
Personally I've noticed significant differences in performance in some games with ram at 2133 and 3000mhz, namely stuttering in DX12 in Battlefield 1 that was not present with the ram speed at 3000mhz, however isolated that case might be I feel it's worth pointing out.

I can live just fine without a SSD. If anything will get a sale of Black Friday, it'll be SSDs. I'll just buy one then.

Depends on your resolution

Check OP pcpartpicker

Because they should both be cheaper. Extra on top of already overpriced sucks

If you're not trying to constantly upgrade your graphics card, just get 1080p 144Hz VA panel, like the monitor in the OP pcpartpicker

>I remember people telling others to wait for Vega which will blow pascal out of the water LAST NOVEMBER 2017.
Don't fall for the fanboy hype? Not that hard

The "absolute minimum" build in OP pcpartpicker is the most price effective build you can make
Yours is an optimized performance build for 1440p

pcpartpicker.com/list/ByWVM8
Okay, I think I am nearing completion with the selection besides two last things.

Pentium 4560 or 4600, would it make any difference to throw an extra $10 at the CPU?

The 3GB GTX 160 after rebate is $100 less than the 6GB, Is it worth the extra $100?. In what area's would the 6GB make a noticeable difference over the 3?

just buy an actually decent cpu

And what would that be?

Today is the day! Have two GPU's coming in, a Gigabyte 1080 and an ASUS STRIX 1080Ti... too excited. What should I do while waiting?

What sales can I expect on Black Friday/Cyber Monday

????????

shit ones

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4560-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-1200/3892vs3931

>Pentium 4560 or 4600, would it make any difference to throw an extra $10 at the CPU?
Not really, but I'd get the one that's closer to MSRP

>The 3GB GTX 160 after rebate is $100 less than the 6GB, Is it worth the extra $100?
In my opinion, no.

>In what area's would the 6GB make a noticeable difference over the 3?
Almost never currently, but it's hard to know what will happen in the future

Go to the gym

Bost 1060 overclocks please

GTX 1050Ti VS 3GB 1060
Which one should i get?
From some bechmark site it seems like the 1060 would be a better buy.
What do you think Sup Forums?
(they are in a price range for my budget)
Also RAM: there are many bands but which are the ones i should consider to get, when buying new RAM?

I plan to get an i5 8400 cpu

pcpartpicker.com/list/GcgR2R

Going with kaby lake cause I can't find coffee anywhere and can't wait to build this half work half gaming bench

Also save money and get a 1060 gtx or get the 1070???? Do i need it

1050Ti is crap.

Is 1060 a meme card? Why does it seem to be everyones "go-to" card when it's apparently shit?

Is it safe to start buying stuff now, or should I wait to see what will happen with black friday stuff?

thanks for the info.

pcpartpicker.com/list/qVfYM8
Alright, I think I got it mostly down, probably going to stay like this unless I see some good sales happen. $507 with rebate once amazon gets the GPU's back in.

What sort of tangible advantages would ryzen give me over the other intel?

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/3646vs3649

Seems good for me. And it's kinda the budget card for me i can still offer. Kinda like Redmi note 4. It may ssem to be a meme. But it's a good meme

1060 6g is good gaming card.
3g is cripple.