/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Prev: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/ReleaseNotes
youtube.com/watch?v=peVwH-DYKgY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_(software)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First post for unfriendly thread.

fuck off

Can I install xubuntu on a 64GB flash AND use the remaining space as storage?

Kill all the gays and weebs. Subhuman sodomite subhumans should kill themselves

Linux is pure shit from hell. FOSStards are dumb lazy slavnigger shitcoders

I think you meant GNU/Linux, you goddamn imbecile.

Proprietary Open Source Software ftw

Commercial Quality software + Free Source-Compiled Beer = Aseprite license

I don't see why you couldn't. Use a flash drive with the 64G flash drive you want to use. Put live installation on the first drive then use said drive to install Xubuntu on 64G drive.

I had to do something similar in order to install TAILS on a flash drive.

Sorry what I meant to simply say is: Use two flash drives for install.

The previous post I made sounds a little inarticulate.

Guess I'll just have to use two. Thanks.

>>>/reddishit/

Is there any other way to put your screen in sleep while using X.org other than screensavers?
There is a CentOS 5.9 based server at my work. I disabled gnome-screensaver on it (set it to never activate) but the screen always turns off after the computer not being touched for a few minutes which is annoying as there is a monitor program on it I wish to be able to see any time.

Great idea

No problem. Check back in here if you need further assistance. I'll be sticking around for a while.

your question is asking the opposite of what you want to know. A better question would be "how do I stop Gnome turning off the screen".
In Gnome 3 settings there is an energy setting, where you can turn this behaviour off. Does CentOS 5.9 use Gnome 2? In any case, I'd look in the energy settings rather than display/screen settings

Alright goyim. Arch or Gentoo? x220, mainly C numerical library development. am a bit fearful of arch's rolling update would f my shit up.

Why is wine such a piece of shit?
I made a small application in .net 4.6 WPF and it basically is just a small windows with a picture and some fields and works fine on windows, but it doesn't start at all on wine.
After i installed wine it asked me to if i want to install .net and gecko and i clicked yes so it did stuff, but it's not working, i double click my app, the mouse turns into loading symbol for a bit and then nothing happens

>falling for the .NET and WPF meme
your own fault for drinking the Microsoft cool-aid

.net support on wine is pretty shit.
just compile your programm with mono and run it with mono for linux support

.net is great, c# is the best language i have ever used, it is so incredibly comfy and well done, linq is like a code turned into orgasm
I don't like wpf all that much since xaml is really tedious for someone who experience the beauty and ease of html and css but there is not other alternative for making guis on windows, uwp is the same and windows forms is a joke

Am on Ubuntu LTS, should I install 17.something from here or will it become a mess? First Linux OS I have so never done that.
Also how is 17?

I'm trying to make webms for Sup Forums.
I have an .srt file with subs that I'd like to burn into the final video, but no combination of options actually results in the video having subtitles burned into the video I've already went through dozens of sites and they just parrot the official documentation, which is to use -vf "subtitles=subs.srt".
If the subs were malformed, it would tell me.

Everything else seems to work, what am I doing wrong?
ffmpeg -ss 00:04:54 -t 00:00:13.500 -i video.mp4 -vf subtitles=subs.srt -c:v libvpx -b:v 1.5M -threads 2 -an output.webm

Currently on 14.04.5 or 16.04 LTS?

Being your first GNU/Linux install I don't really see a clear motive for switching to a later release. Take this time to get comfortable with the platform. There won't be a "huge" difference between the two

Also, according to the wiki, your current release will have longer support.

wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

For simplicities sake I would say stick with 16.04. However, if you wanted to switch regardless there is so much documentation on Ubuntu with such a large community that if you were to encounter trouble it wouldn't be difficult finding assistance.

If I were you though I wouldn't bother and stick with 16.04.

I forgot the command, but what's the command to run a program from terminal without having the terminal running afterwards.

wait for 18.04LTS. Actually, wait till next summer so it matures a bit.

Woops! Meant for

Hey, really need some help quickly. I'm trying to install arch next to Windows and I'm trying to create a 2nd partition for my home directory? But Windows seems to be taking up 3 partitions and I can't actually make any more. How do people get around this?

Oh ok I guess I'll wait, I just wanted some stuff like windows control back on the right side in 18 (if I read correctly). Is there any ETA for a stable 17 or is it just usually "when it's done"?

You should be able to. Usually when you dd the image it will leave free space as the image is only a couple gigs, so just make another partition with the rest of the space.

Please respond.

Create an extended partition as the 4th then create logical partitions inside and use those.

I had this same problem on my system running XFCE, I had disabled all the sleep timeouts but it was still turning off the monitor, the solution is to create a file called /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-sleep.conf with these contents:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "BlankTime" "0 "
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection

That tells X not to turn off your monitor automatically.

Gentoo. It's super stable but still pretty up to date.

I think you want to make something run as a background job, just run command & the & sign tells it to run in the background.

Thank you!

Check the release notes periodically for updates on the release. See "Known Issues" on page.

wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/ReleaseNotes

What did you mean by windows control on the right side? (minimize/expand/exit) This can be changed by installing a different Desktop Environment (DE) if that's what you meant.

good post

chromium-browser & still shows the process running on the terminal.

fucking shit, i remember reading and using the command a week ago, now im fucked.

It will still print the output but closing the terminal shouldn't close chromium at that point.

tmux

Game dev major here, need a high performance 2-in-1 with good Linux compatibility. High performance because I have to make games, 2-in-1 because I have to draw graphics, and good Linux compatibility because FUCK Windows.

Is Samsung Notebook 9 Pro a decent choice? Other options?

I found the workaround, chromium-browser & exit
I don't know if this distro had a command substitution for it, but I'm still boggling my head about it.

Whatever the & exit works.

This makes me feel pretty sad.

thanks for the reply. Sadly, the computer is actually a cinema theater management server which I don't have root access to (I shouldn't even touch the terminal even as a normal user I think) so editing xorg.conf is out of question.

GIMP or Krita?

You might have to ask whoever has root to change it for you then, I don't know if there's anything else you can do to fix it.

Why not both?

Run ffmpeg -version and see if "--enable-libass" is there.

nevermind I figured it out
the timecodes in the subs have to match the output, I just encoded it with the hardsubs and then took clips from it

because I'm a modern millenial with hand-tattoos and use avocado instead of cheese whenever I can like in all those topdown view cooking videos, so I can not tolerate having a choice

Yeah minimize and stuff. I like Gnome tho but maybe I should try andother DE. Is there one that has a similar search to Gnome and controls on the right?

>install windows 7
>endless fucking with drivers, nothing works
>install Lubuntu
>it just works

Fuck off windows, never coming back

youtube.com/watch?v=peVwH-DYKgY

Oh! Maybe you would like Cinnamon DE. Check it out.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_(software)

What's the absolute lightest and fastest Linux distro environment?

unironically gentoo

Gentoo with good optimizing.

exec

How do I find out what syscalls are used when I open an application? Also, how do I become a kernel hacker?

strace.
>how do I become a kernel hacker?
learn c and visit kernel newbies

Teach me the best way to dual boot it with Windows 10

Idk how to dualboot it with w10. Maybe install gentoo, shrink the fs, install w10 and update grub with a live distro.

Windows 10 is already installed.

I have a program which creates some files in my folder, but the program has it's own username and that user is owner of those files. Is there anyway to use chmod or something to tag a directory so that any file created in it will be owned by the user i specify?

Shrink w10 partition with gparted (distro) and do the same, but be fucking careful, because cfdisk, fdisk whatever, don't hold back your hand and they are cli/tui apps.

chown

can you pastebin it?

Thanks!

Pastebin what? If the transmission daemon.
It has it's own user and i don't want to change because it messes shit up, but it's tedious because i can't delete files over samba i have to ssh and use sudo rm

You're welcome! If you have any more questions feel free to come back. I'll be sticking around for a while.

> gparted
Why not shrinking the partition directly through Windows options?
My SSD (where Windows 10 is installed and where I'd like to install Gentoo) has 23 GB free space already.

Screen tear. Is there really nothing I can do about this?
>Ubuntu 16
>i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (nothing to do with this as far as I understand)
>GeForce GTX 970 (driver 387.12)

I've tried every "fix" on the web. Still tears like a motherfucker.

Is this a linux problem or an ubuntu problem? Anyone know if changing distros would help? I am asking because I've spent a lot of time setting this installation to everything I wanted.

Idk windows. Compiling can kill the ssd controller.

Did you try forced full composition pipeline?

Ah transmission. Yeah, use chown.

It's a linux problem, but more specifically an nvidia problem I think. You can switch to the compton compositor to force vsync. That's the only way I've ever been able to get rid of tearing with nvidia cards.

I notice Cantata has a "Devices" panel. Can I use this program to manage my iPod? (Running KDE Neon, and it's a 160GB Classic.)

Cantata doesn't notice it's connected when I try. If it's possible, do I need to install additional packages to make it work?

I wrote myself an alias for this purpose. No access to my computer right now but I think it went something like:
bgdo() {
($* > /dev/null) & disown > /dev/null
}
then you'd do
bgdo chromium-browser

Because FOSS is entirely made by fat neckbeards in their mom's basement, and never ever by paid professionals. Not even once. Trust the Sup Forums memes.

This is the one where I need to change my xorg.conf file in /etc/X11/ but that doesn't exist in ubuntu. There are a bunch of .conf files in /usr/share/xorg.conf.d but nothing there resembles anything like the ones in the guides so I'm very hesitant to edit anything.

google [bash job control]

Gimp for image editing krita for drawing.

that's a function not an alias.

You can directly set it with the nvidia-tools, here's what I have in my start script for a dual monitor setup
nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="DP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }, DVI-D-0: nvidia-auto-select +1921+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

also, don't say you tried everything when you actually didn't even try it yet.

Stop recommending botnet in a friendly thread.

$ ./opt/vivaldi/vivaldi
[2779:2779:1110/181329.368610:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(157)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.

What the fuck i should do to start vivaldi? opt folder is already owned by root and i've run chmod 4755 /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-sandbox.

Is there a way to watch movies with mpv from a tty without X?

strace probably

No. But you can with groups. chown the for to a group with both of you in and set the sticky bit in the bit.

sudo rm -rf /opt/vivaldi/

Try recursive?

#!/bin/sh
h=19; w=38; x=1497; y=993
xdotool search --name "Mozilla Firefox" windowmove "$h" "$w" windowsize "$x" "$y"
# you do maths like this: a="$((w-h))" or b="$((1336+1))"

There is, someone was in here a while back talking about setting up a whole environment in tty and he was able to play videos

mpv -vo=caca

I think there's another mpv filter for terminals that support more than 16 colors, but this is a safe bet.

pipe the video output to an ascii art program

libcaca

I've just tried that and "works", my bad. Now he's accusing that my ffmpeg isn't installed.

error while loading shared libraries: libffmpeg.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory