/pcbg/ PC Building General

Last Thread: >Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
[YouTube] how to build a pc.
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

GPUs:
>Vega 64 is barely better than 56 for $100 more, avoid it
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti, 1080, Vega 56 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
pcpartpicker.com/list/wjZ4r7
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487387
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

im gay, youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g for youtube link in OP

>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card

Is it worth it spending the extra $100 on a 8600k compared to a 8400 for more future proofing?

Brainlet here. I built my computer about a year ago without a ssd. If I bought one on Black Friday, how easy would it be to transfer my OS onto it?

Repostan cuz dying thread. Help my poorfag friend.

FUTRE

NO.

>transfer your OS
it would be very easy for you to just do a new install and transfer the data you care about, reinstall programs etc

>A8 9600
DELET!!!
NOOO!

But how does that work for my windows key? Would it transfer over?

good build actually.
but you can try to get used gtx 970 for 100-120$.

Not really a /pcbg/ question but there's a couple ways: Your ssd maker might make a program to migrate the OS for you, or personally I recommend
>Move all important files to an external media source like external hard drive, or cloud storage if it's small enough.
>plug in ssd
>boot into the windows usb installer
>use that menu to format your HDD
>install OS on to ssd. Windows should just werk because it's your same motherboard.
>Move files from external / cloud back onto your hdd

My RX 580 started dying under load, and I've only had it for a couple months.
I need to get it RMA'd

Wraith Stealth or old Wraith cooler?

yes

wraith spire

no, because you'll need to buy a good cooler as well.

why are you buying used parts? you can build decent gaming pcs for ~$500 right now.

My Wraith Spire doesn't sound like a fucking jet taking off.

CRYORIG M9i. :)

Chances are no. I think in 3-4 years, you'd have a much better chance of getting a better/cheaper "future-proofed" CPU.

what kind of fan curve you have going?

ah shit it requires upgrade kit for am4 socket.
sad. its very nice and cheap cooler for intel

>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds WITH a dedicated graphics card
Terrible fucking idea Stop posting OPs if you're that retarded
G4560/G4600 is the only acceptable "minimum"

what have you done to it ?
also define "dying"

pcpartpicker.com/list/wjZ4r7
this is a steal for $450

85-45, with acoustic limit set to 300MHz.
When the card started acting up I tried running the fans at constant 2200 RPM to rule out overheating.
What the card does is shut down and reboot the system almost immediately after starting any graphics-intensive task.

will building a pc help me get a gf

Picked up an i58600k a few days ago. Really low supply here in MA. Looking for a GPU to go with it. I'd like to buy a 1440p monitor but I'm worried about g-sync prices. What's a solid GPU to pair with the i5 that can get me to 1440p reliably without breaking the bank?

>immediately after starting any graphics-intensive task.

you 100% sure its not faulty power supply ?

Not likely, but except in the case of the most superficial of bitches, it won't hurt you either. My last gf thought it was cool that I built my computers, but had no interest in it herself and we were already together before she knew.

1070 ti. evga has one going for $470 right now. great deal.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487387

also don't even try to test another psu with cables from old one..... you will definitely fry something.

Not a good build. Like the other user said, better to get a G4600 build for about the same cost. At least you'll have DDR4 and a modern platform, and he can put an i7 7700 in it when they drop to about $150 (soon, definitely before the Pentium outlives its usefulness).

GTX 1070 - 1080Ti unless you get a Freesync monitor, in which case get the Vega 56

Nope, could be that also. But the PSU is a brand new RM650X so I'm more inclined to believe it's the GPU that's faulty.

I had this problem with my 470 4GB. Turned out to be the PSU. Not saying it's the same in your case, but likely

New stuff can be DOA, but my PSU was about 6 years old.

how's the cm masterliquid lite 120 for overclocking an i5 8600k?

>FedEx says product is delivered
Who the fug do I sue

day 30 still not sure where cables go in this thing

is there noticeable difference in performance between 4x4gb and 2x8gb ram?

Dual core HT < Overclocked Quadcore, no?

Get 2x 8GB if you have Ryzen or Coffee Lake, really

Not really if it's that old, also keep in mind that you have a low tier graphics card selected, so you'll be in a graphics bottleneck situation the vast majority of the time, probably even if you turn settings to low recent AAA games.

This happened to me with a phone from bestbuy once. I actually had to go through bestbuy, even though it was a UPS person that stole my shit. Contact both the vendor AND the shipper.
No. Get whatever is cheapest, unless you plan on upgrading your shit at some point.
Which cable is giving you trouble, user?
About as good as a medium-large sized air cooler. Outperformed by the larger air coolers like NDH-15 or cryorig r1 universal. it's an acceptable purchase for very small PC's.

What case is that?

Forgot text

Waiting for my 8700k to arrive to finish this build...

where's your cooler

should i buy now a A8 9600 or wait until the Raven Ridge APUs come out?

Corsair 570x (white)
It's DOPE

where's your gpu

Seems good so far. Needs cable combs for the custom sleeved ones at least. You can use a bread tie / twist tie for now to keep them held in place. I'd take one of those intake fans and mount it as an exhaust instead. Mobo is retardedly overpriced though.

See
But I got an h100i v2

Cable combs are on their way!!
Yeah, mobo was overpriced but came with a retail cost 8700k so meh

Retard warning ahead:

Can someone give me a TLDR breakdown of when screen tearing occurs? How to avoid it (if at all possible w/ out buying g-sync or free sync)? Can't for the life of me understand this issue without conceding and just dropping bank on a gpu monitor combo with adaptive sync.

Got 2 of these bad boys on my front panel. They move quite a lot of air. Though I wish they came in the lighter pooh color so they would match with my other pooh fans.

for some reason i think its drop on 12v rail...

maybe you should try to use pci-e power connectors from separate wires. i mean psu have 2 sets for 2 videocards. try to stick one pcie power from one wire and another from another wire.

all of the PSU cables are too thick, makes cable management impossible.

Don't buy the A8 9600, retard. They're trolling you

Screen tearing occurs when your FPS exceeds your screen's refresh rate

Should comb that spaghetti.

>A8 9600
for course not. its old fx tech.
>Raven Ridge
just buy ryzen + discrete gpu if you like amd.
integrated graphics is rubbish.

are there any reasons to get nvidia's own gpus rather than partners' or the opposite?

>ordered pixio 34" curved
>wow what a steal only $500

>monitor randomly powers on and off repeatedly
>graphical glitch bars going across the screen
>gpu is perfectly fine

don't go cheap boys

Reference (founders) card have the best support for waterblocks. Also in some compact ITX cases a blower fan is much better than aftermarket open air solutions.

so if you try and pair a high end gpu with a low refresh rate monitor, you're only making matters worse? It's better to actually pair it up with a high refresh rate monitor, which would avoid g-sync/free sync?

so gtx1070 paired with a 144hz monitor (no adaptive sync) would be fine.

screen tearing occurs when fps is higher than refresh rate of monitor. when you "move around" in game... screen shows part of previous picture and part of new picture.

>How to avoid it
just use v-sync. or just limit fps to 60.
you don't need any special monitor for that.

>curved monitor
what is this, 2007?

I'm sure the replacement will be fine

If you're on a 60Hz monitor, you just engage Vsync if your FPS is >60
This is what people mean by a "locked 60"

korean named "noname" monitors are trash.

>i still remember how logan from techsyndicate was defending monitor that had buttons that was not even wired to anything inside and screen that was as reflective as mirror. good times lel

If you hit 144fps, get a 144hz monitor
If you get 60fps, get a 60hz monitor
If you're completely unable of adjusting settings to hit a desired fps, and your fps is consequently all over the fucking place and nowhere near your monitors hz rating (or half, or a third, since vsync exists and works), then gsync/freesync would make 31-59fps, or 61-143fps look better
I have a gsync monitor but the ULMB strobing backlight is much more impressive and doesn't work with gsync, so I leave it at 120hz ULMB and adjust game settings to hit 120 or 90 or 60 fps

>using vsync
enjoy your input lag

Wow an entire frame of input lag
0/10 trash technology

34''? are you fucking crazy

Thanks for dumbing it down for me, bros. It was the last thing I needed to understand before building.

It's an ultrashort probably

I just got my new monitor, its a Benq 144hz 1080p.
Offical name:BENQ ZOWIE XL2411. Btw 24 inch

>enjoy your input lag
i'd rater play with input lag that i never actually felt than play with teared screen. it ruins game immersion completely.

Also I have to make it clear that you don't have to hit 144FPS if you have a 144Hz monitor. If your FPS is below your refresh rate, you don't need Vsync and screen tearing won't occur. But you still want to limit your FPS because if you're oscillating from 45FPS to 100FPS on a high Hz monitor, you'll notice

or you can not be a subhuman and cap your fps at your refresh rate. people who use sync are always shit players. get off the server.

good choice, make sure you enable 144hz.

>A8 9600
>with a dedicated graphics card
The point of buying an apu is when you do not want to buy a dedicated gpu.

Gotcha. I'll keep that in mind when shopping. Aiming at 144hz at 1080p sans g-sync or free sync. Now I have to settle on a GPU.

>G4560/G4600

any thoughts on the the Dell 165Hz 1440p S2417DG? Seems too cheap for what it is.

Also, is an i5 8400 significantly better than a R5 1600 for gaming given that mobos are more expensive?

>

Anyone have tips for reducing resonant sound caused by fan vibrations? I have rubber gaskets and tightened screws to all hell.

blease help what do

Freesync is free though. No reason to get a high Hz monitor without it these days

Not really that much, but if you're trying for super high framerates and you have a 1080Ti it's worth it for 1440p. No reason to spend all that money and then cheap out of $30. If you have a weaker graphics card, the R5 1600 is fine.

just unscrew it from wire and screw it back to gpu :)
pretend nothing happened.

Take off the standoff.

i mean hold it with wrench and unscrew it like you unscrew it from videocard.

install gentoo

Should I use Ryzen master to overclock my CPU with software? Or should I just go old school from the BIOS?

jej

always bios

Yea I figured. Is Ryzen Master good to get a ballpark idea? As in just OC the CPU with RM to see what my voltage:clock is looking like?

the Ryzen software isn't half bad actually

Currently working on my first build, but stuck on a mouse. What would you suggest? Roughly ~$50 budget right now for it, want a mouse that's good for gaming but not too big and chunky of a mouse like some of them are. Buttons/etc on it are preferred. Haven't really used a mouse for anything in years since I've just used my laptop pad.

Any software based CPU overclocking is a bad idea. Always use BIOS.

>take out old graphics card
>put in new
>turn on pc
>on but not displaying anything
what do