Studio Monitors

Can someone who knows what the fuck they're on about help me decide on a good pair of studio monitors to start out with for some basic mixing. I'm currently looking at the Yamaha HS5/7 and JBL LSR305. Any other recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

The best thing you can do is to go to a shop and listen to different monitors. Bring some music you know by heart and test them there. I personally use adam a3x. It's small but it works for my room.

Do you have a soundcard?

Also, I can recommend the Behringer MS40 for general mixing work.

Those JBL's have a pretty hyped low end. The Yamaha's are going to sound "worse" aka more accurate. I'm using the Yamaha HS50m's and I have no regrets. But like someone already said, go and listen to them first before you buy.

Avoid M-Audio. they have heat issues.

You already made the right choice with Yamaha HS series.

2nd this.

the low end jbls have issues with hum, noise and hiss because they're cheaply made

yamaha doesn't seem to have such problems

never had that problem with jbl as long as they are isolated. keep them plugged into a separate powerstrip.

Nice Juno, I had one in high school before the analog market really went insane. Got it from a studio for free and shared it with my buddy. Ended up giving it to another buddy and really regret that because he probably isn't using it.

you didn't, but enough people who bought them did
google: jbl lsr305 hiss

obviously not a well thought out or tested product

From someone who makes his living working in fairly large studio (for the past 10 years):

If you have a properly treated room, you can honestly make any speakers work. The noise and interference comes from improper isolation, once that is taken care of you can (easily) learn your own speakers.

Specific speakers do have their own profiles that some people prefer. Something like NS10s have extremely hyped high mids (860-3.1k) and allow you to more easily dial in on problems in that range. The Yamaha HS series continues on that tradition by having a weaker (rear-port) low end and extremely descriptive high mids and highs, whereas something like Focal Solo 6's are much more balanced across the frequency spectrum.

The best thing you can do is listen to your shit on as many different devices as possible. You should always be bouncing down an MP3 to listen to on earbuds, computer speakers, laptop speakers, multiple car stereos, even TV's if you're able. This is the way to not only learn how your mixes will translate from your speakers but for you to understand how something you mix will sound to different people in different situations.

Every single class d amped monitor hisses, every one. Moving on, the lsr305s are great to get into mixing and are probably the best for the price. HS5s are not worse, but a little more expensive

i hope you mean an external dac
internal sound cards are useless trash, PCs are absurdly electrically noisy

t.Soundcloud """producer"""

soundcloud hobbyists? you mean the people most likely to be publishing music made on budget hardware like an internal sound card?

you dont even need to make music, buy a real amp and speaker setup, not your shitty logitech internal amped gamer speakers with 3.5mm plugs, turn the volume up, and you wont miss the horrible fucking hiss that PCs generate

i suppose there might be some extremely high end stuff that consumers would never buy with some sort of isolation to avoid this, but the asus/htomega/creative shit that consumers buy are all the same

>every single
doubt it

>PCs are absurdly electrically noisy
not really

well not like compressor noisy, but noisy enough to prevent any sort of high-end audio quality or playback

Then you don't belong discussing technicalities of subject matter you don't know about

yeah, not really
its probably your speakers and amp

>you don't belong
what's your degree in? massage therapy?

Speaker scrub here. (used to 3.5mm desktop speakers)

Last time I looked at a resale shop I had a walls worth of used speakers.

The majority of them had "bare terminals" not sure if that's the proper terminology but that had two spots where I can add my own wires.

Is this the optimal setup or should I get something with banana plugs or some alternative that's prewired.

If I just was a minimal desktop setup with 2 speakers do I just need a Amp?
I'd rather not get a "reciever if it's not required.

Thanks Sup Forums!

Speakers that input with the two bare terminals you described are passive and will require an amp

Okay.
Thank you very much!

doubt that since they're almost dead silent with an external dac even with the amp at full volume

This is ridiculous. There's something seriously wrong with your PC if that's the case, like being from 2004 wrong.

Sorry, one more question!

If you had the option between bare terminals or pic related input what would be your preference?

Do RCA plugs require a reciever?

He has ears, that's something you lack it seems.
If you do own the 305's and don't have the hiss, good for you you have above the average monitor quality or your deaf, mostly the second part.

Hes not wrong PCs are notoriously not-quiet, usually its ground-loop noise.

Though it's usually not detrimental to simply listening unless you like turning your amp up very loud.

Just got the lsr's, they sound great and were on sale
Good thing I had an audio interface though, plugged into mobo they got crazy interference from my mouse and gpu - booted up pubg and you could only hear the gpu fan and emi noise

Poorly configured powered monitors produce audible hiss - entry level Yamaha and JBLs, even Dynaudio. Compare to Adam 7X which do not. This is why its important to get to a guitar store and listen for yourself since the amount of audio expertise on /g is usually astonishingly low or full of apology.

More likely there's something wrong with the PC set up. I run a 200 W amp sourcing my workstation and play it into Quad speakers. There is zero noise.

>4channels at 50 watts

cute

Hsx are the best because they sound the worst. I've got hs8 but if your in a small room don't buy them. Depending on your wiring they need a DAC or else a PC will make them crackle

If you want get krk rokits there the best for dj like me

Your speakers are nothing lmao

DJ and EDM maybe otherwise trash

I would look at the JBL M2 or Genelec 8351. Only heard the Genelecs IRL and they are SUPER. Have heard the 4367, the "home" version of the M2, and that's the speaker that I crave right now, so I guess that the M2 is at least as good.

Its sarcasm, krk rokits are some of the worst "reference" speakers made. Accentuated bass makes no sense to a reference design.

any audio related thread on Sup Forums suffers from low effort bait and horrible misinformation blended to a point where you can't tell them apart.
avoid at all costs

>PCs are absurdly electrically noisy

lol wut? Like sure there's a lot of high frequency switching going on. PSU will usually use switching frequencies around 100kHz and obviously digital logic is going at 100MHz-5GHz. It's all high frequency, way above the audio range. Even then most sound cards will have low pass filters on the output anyway to remove that shit if by chance any significant amount of noise is coupled in.

I thought the "DJ like me" gave it away but anyway "DJ's" don't even need monitors as they just splice songs together.

Same thing with displays. Anything that requires personal experience and knowledge beyond technical information will highlight how many plebs there are here.

>accentuated bass makes no sense to a reference design
What if you only make music for people that use setups with nigbass, like all normies?

normies listen to a mono bluetooth speaker or have a tiny midbass woofer next to their soundbar at best
not a single one of them knows what bass is

Even then you want the opposite as those speakers are eq'd around reference. Otherwise you Starr limiting you bass and it makes there setup sound like shit.

Logitech 7.1 is supreme to them.

>buying anything more than a pair of Micca MB42X
What do profligates mean by this?

>4" woofer
what about that whole octave of notes missing below what they can reproduce

I make money from making music and i mix exclusively on headphones

What now

placebo audiophool autism nonsense

I have the LSR305, they sound great but I get hiss when playing games. The hiss changes it's pitch based on fps the game is running on.. It's not too noticeable but it is annoying
Would dedicated sound card solve the problem?

anything that shields your analog audio from interference

who needs woofers when you can just use a psychic driver and it gives no money to the audio joo

just get a better engineered speaker

>obviously flawed signal coming into the speaker
>it's the speaker's fault for reproducing it accurately
mate

>other, better speakers don't produce the "flawed signal"

yep, it can't be my cheap ass speakers

WHATS THE SECOND BEST STUDIO MONITOR TO PURCHASE ON 11.11 ?

>The hiss changes it's pitch based on fps the game is running on
It's definitely interference coming from your computer

speakers don't sync up with your gpu
get your connections sorted out and you're set

Probably something with an external powersupply and optical input

?

I have the 308, even with my cheap ass focusrite interface they don't produce any noise that's audible when I got my ear further than half a foot away from the tweeter, let alone a noise changing over time. your source is crap, a soundcard, interface, usb dac or whatever would certainly help, get something with balanced outputs while you're at it.

barefoot mm27

>speakers don't sync up with your gpu
sync up wi- ... wut?
oh okay checking rotatoinal velocidunsity nao

I think what he was trying to say is, that when the amperage through he GPU's power circuitry increases. The lack of shielding makes the electromagnetic noise able to be picked up by the line out for the speakers.

From an electronics standpoint, this is similar in form as with when girls talk about energy crystals placed against their skin and increasing their personal psychic aura and well being.

the more drivers there are, the more phase errors are possible, and the greater the chance of wave cancellation effects

No it is that the magnetic field around the circuitry increases in strength which can then effect other parts of the computer.

They have active crossovers that's both time and level compensated, and probably with very steep slopes, so I wouldn't worry.

He forgot that people use these 1 inch away from their head.

No it's not you retarded fuck. Try playing any kind of frequency response test track over your Micca meme speakers and see for yourself. Most sub 6,5 cut off all freqencues below 30-60Hz. Plus micca are shit speakers in general and you are much better off with edifiers in this price range.
Now fuck off back to r/budgetaudiophile you retarded poorfag.

They are not meant for near-field.
For near-field they have their "8351" (pic related).
A 3way design with a coaxial tweeter/midrange and two woofers in a D'appolito configuration. All digitally compensated in time and level. They sound VERY good, one if not the best sound I've heard.

HS7 will be better if your room isn't small. HS speakers are very good and the larger size will result in a more reliable bass.

Put foam on reflective surfaces.

Bumping for relevance. I got pic related soundcard, what monitors should I use for a home setup doing mainly amateur electronic music?

get the LSR308

I use KRK Rokit 8's, and have tried the Yamaha's. I like both. Yamahas have a nice true sound.

2i2 or 2i4 if you want a bit more value - and either monitor in OP would be a great choice
I have a novation launchkey w/ ableton and it sounds great with my 305's. I'm using an older presonus audiobox for my interface.

>hs8

but these sound better than lsr305

Sounds like a good suggestion for regular/entertainment speakers, but how can you be sure if a monitor is good by just listening? For all you know they're a perfect representation, but therefor sound like crap.

I've had some adam F7's for the past 6-7 years that have served me really well, my KRK rokits died after 5.

That's what I thought, but a large part of the planet seems to think a DJ needs to release some songs in order to be taken seriously.

What is a recommended starting speaker to use? I currently got some shitty $30 logitech ones and they're dying.