Well?

Well?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/116787124
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well I feel bad for old people being forced at a high age to participate in a new technology based society. I hope I don't ever have to go through something like that.

Well, I taught my grandad how to use a computer. I only laugh at people who mean nothing to me, like you, OP.

i've never made fun of my parents for needing help with computer

but i have pushed their hands off the keyboard and taken over when they're taking too god damn long to type

I don't see the problem. It's just a bit of banter between members of a family.

Makes me wonder if technology will have progressed so much that I will be unable to keep up by the time I'm 80. My grandfather retired about a year before they introduced personal computers at his work, so he never had to work with them. He had a computer at home, and later an iPad, for email and web browsing, but he simply did not understand the logic behind a UI.

That's all well and good but I bet I didn't say "No no no, you don't know what you're doing, give it here! Ugh I thought you kids knew this stuff?" when you tried teaching me the spoon, did I?

Listen here you wrinkly old fart, if i'm trying to show you how to do something, listen to the fucking words that are coming out of my mouth, don't spin off into a blind panic like at any moment the fucking VCR could explode and kill us both, they don't build them with that fucking feature.

Goes both ways.

I wouldn't made fun of my parents
but I got annoyed really fast

I wonder how long it took them to make that image

3 weeks. lololol

trust me , it will happen.
Im 33 and KiK and all these social media apps are just confusing me.

they will also end up probably switching the lingo on you. L33t S []D 3 /-\ |

>get taught to use a spoon
>left alone for a while
>parents come back and i have the spoon up my ass and there's shit fucking everywhere
>i'm sitting there screaming YOU BROKE THE SPOON LOOK WHAT YOU DID
old people

But they don't fucking learn.

>You can unhide the ribbon by clicking...
>next day
>user the menu is all weird again

Fucking old people

YOU INSTALLED A VIRUS CALLED MSPAINT ON THIS SPOON AND NOW I CAN'T PLAY VIDEO POKER

Not knowing is fine, not being willing to learn something really simple is really annoying. The majority of family tech issues fall into the former category so I try to be patient.

our turn is coming up. but, judging by the current trend technology(and 'tech literacy' in general), we'll probably have it way easier.

Don't use kik or Snapchat, but I know that Snapchat is confusing because it's basically a dick pic sending service with all kinds of shit tacked on. And the UI is notoriously poorly designed.

My mother managed to make a website by writing out html in word back in the 90's when she was well into her 40's. Maybe your parents all need to git gud.

There's an animu where all kids after a certain age have augmentations implanted at birth which allows them to delve into virtual reality. It's called "Accel World" and it's complete trash, but if we're talking about being "cut off" from technological progress, that's a pretty significant possibility.

I only get angry with people when they need my help but absolutely refuse to learn. I told my dad to back up his office files about four times and he didn't and then a virus wiped everything and the entire company was fucked for weeks. He still doesn't back up

Company management not listening is the worst.

>We should have backup power supplies for our computers in case the grid goes down so we can save our work
>How much would it cost?
>~400 for every 2 workstations would keep them running for half an hour
>THAT'S WAY TOO MUCH! FUCK THAT!
We lost power (and therefore an entire day's work) three times that year and we were already in crunch mode.

They also refused to buy network licenses for software, so they'd have the IT guy order individual keys each time we would set up a new work station. It ended up costing more for them and the Engineering Department alone was using 4 different versions of Microsoft Office. Do you know how much of a PITA it is to be working on a huge, complex, shared excel file when you don't all use the same version of excel? It's beyond aggravating.

Meanwhile mom how has been using smartphones for more than 10 years asked me how to lower voice of a caller. and when I told her she should press the volume down button, she pointed at the power button and asked if it was it? Jesus fucking christ. how am I supposed to contain myself with such stupidity?

That's the thing. I'm happy to help as long as you're willing to learn. I'm less happy to have to show you what a 'tab' is for the 30th time this week.

Another pet peeve is when people just don't read things. The number of times I've been asked by people for help with some kind of dialogue that they didn't even bother reading is staggering.

Of course. Making fun of people because they are older then you and have a harder time adapting to new technology is fucking retarded.

We all know that it will one day happen to us too, that is just inevitable. (Although maybe we will have an easier time)

I also could not make fun of my dad for "being bad at computers" even if I wanted to.

>tfw mother taught me to use a spoon and father taught me to use a computer
>tfw grandfather taught me to use windows 95 and now botnet 10 is so different i have to teach him to use it

You were alive while computers became common place. I was born without the ability to do anything.

/well/

I was a baby when you taught me how to use a spoon. You are an adult, you have no excuse.

Why make fun of my family if I can make fun of my peers who only know how to instagram and microsoft word at best?

Those people STILL have their computers full of junkware lmao
when will they learn

I learned how to use a spoon on my own.

(you) require assistance each and every day to find that inspirational email someone sent you from your church the day before. After 25 years of showing you how to use the right mouse button, you still can't figure it out or click it without having a panic attack. The mystery of what a hard drive is and that it is portioned off into things called "directories" in which "files" are kept will forever be beyond your grasp.

I'm not making fun of (you). I am weeping in black despair. None of these things is more complicated than putting on your socks before putting on your shoes, yet still (you) demand that I show (you) how to computer every single day, an unending Hell of repeating the identical information to (you) over and over while (you) babble on about secret alien anti-gravity technology wars taking place in secret all over the world. Secretly. Because (you) saw a you tube all about it that someone on the Facebook sent (you) last year.

Those people don't even have computers sadly

i know people like this, same retard gets those nigerian bank emails and thinks they're legit

You ok there buddy?

What I don't get is that my mom used to be the computer person of the household. She operated everything relating our home computer over the years, since... DOS. In 2008 I bought my first personal laptop and got more familiar with the innards of computers, all the while studying in a tech-centered school, so I became pretty competent with computers. Somehow, my mom became completely incapable of doing basic operations and asking me the stupidest questions like "user, why doesn't the printer work?" when I never did anything with the printer. Her ability to use technology beyond Facebook browsing, email reading and image sorting greatly diminished over the years. And that bothers me. It frustrates me.
My grandfather, bless his heart, learned how to use a computer in his 70s, and he's in his 90s. He tries to learn, but I see it's hard for him. I see him asking the same questions over and over to try and maintain the instructions in his memory. He writes down the instructions, I draw UI diagrams for him, and he keeps raising questions. While he started at 0 and went up, it looks like my mother started at 50 and went down.

wtf don't be so toxic stop being so racist against nigerians

I was describing my Real Life every day encounters with my mother.

>phone rings (anywhere between 1st and 5th time that day)
> "hi mom."
> "the computer is making a message at me."
> " what does it say?"
> "I don't know. I deleted it." What should I do? Is it broken?"

The day is coming soon where that phone call ends with me putting a bullet through my head.

>'how do i delete people from my facebook'
>i dunno i dont use facebook
>SIGH

>I learned how to use a spoon on my own.
BRAVO Sup Forums

>So the computer is giving you trouble?
>Yes.
>And when the computer gives you a message explaining what the problem actually is... You close the message without reading it?
>Yes.
>HOW THE FUCK DO YOU EXPECT ME TO HELP YOU WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT THE PROBLEM IS?!

I know that feel all too much.

There is no spoon.

>I have the intelligence of a 1 years old kid
great argument

>Have to setup some shit and change a bunch of settings on a customers PC at work
>Suddenly Windows 10
>Panic

Holy fuck I'm turning into a boomer, but genuinely these new UIs are borderline fucking unusable, how do normies manage this shit?

This guy fucking knows man.

My grandfather learned Linux faster than other people I have taught.

>user can you help me with [asinine social media feature]?
>Uh no, I don't use that website
>God you're so useless user!

My aunt's the one who got me interested in computers and stuff. She used to have this real old ibm, early 80s model. had dual 5.25 floppy bays. I used to play around with it. Anyway now I'm the one who helps her (and rest of my family) with tech problems. Windows Ten and the whole Phone App thing well I can figure it all out but I ain't that good with them (cause I don't own a smart phone nor use Win ten). Facebook is something else I don't really use.

I never make fun of my mom or dad.

I do make fun of all the iToddlers who can't even operate a computer despite having grown up around them.
Not knowing how to re-install an OS is the modern equivalent of not knowing how to read 50 years ago.

>Sorry I couldn't be of help with your shitposting on social media that I don't use. Incidentally, maybe you could help me calculate the minimum cross-section area required in a fastener in order to survive a given number of cycles at the specified stress amplitude with a safety factor of...

>technology based society
It has always been this way, stop acting like a child.
You only see others being bad at computers because you took an interest in it and others didn't.
I am currently working with doctors and they are NOT technical people but they are certainly smart people.
There are more things to know than how to act edgy on social media you dumb kid.

They are basically unusable. They're designed by pajeets and powerpoint professionals.
These are not intuitive interfaces.
The solution is entirely just getting used to how shit they are and eccentricities like two control panels.

Mom used to ask for help all the time, then I installed Ubuntu gnome on her computer, showed her how to open Firefox, and now she barely asks for help. The only thing I've had to do since was show her how to rip CDs.

what is this image?
like with everything else I taught myself how to use a spoon. I taught myself manners. I taught myself how to read, how to do math/science, how to program, fuckin everything. my parents can fuck off with any claims that they were a positive part of my development.

No, you're just a brainlet.

>has been using smartphones for more than 10 years
Smartphones haven't be around that lon- OH GOD WAKE ME UP.

>I learned how to use a spoon on my own

Banner material

>I was a baby when you taught me how to use a spoon. You are an adult, you have no excuse.
Not the way I would've phrased it but basically this. It's such a fucking stupid comparison.

>new technology based society.
Every American born after 1910 has lived in a technology-based society. The machine tabulation of the Census changed the way this country worked immensely. The way data is organized has changed since then, and the adding machine has gotten so small we can put billions of them on a flank of silicon, but the basic operation and use of the machines has not changed in the slightest. You put data in, you do operations with it, and you get an output. Literally the easiest tool in the universe to use.

No one alive today has a single valid excuse for not being able to operate a PC.

>how do normies manage this shit?
They don't. They just put up with it like fuckwits then have the gall to bitch and moan because they can't be fucked finding alternatives.

They put up with it, no one seems to be aware of the fact that Microsoft "un"intentionally sabotages their products and the constant changing of interface design is a result of poor decisions rather than an attempt to make it better in any meaningful way.
If they do realize this, and you suggest an alternative, they suddenly don't want to bother learning something "new" even though the OS they have a problem with is literally the same old shit they've been using for the last decade except with a shiny retarded interface that makes things 10 times harder to locate.

>a baby learning how to move their fresh juicy new body
vs
>a fully functioning adult who has had years to learn this stuff

Not him, and your point is good, but you should really watch your attitude. Generally when people make a post like his, it's due to some sort of misunderstanding, whether they admit it or not. It's best to just calmly try to help people understand things. If they're still aggressively disagreeing with you after you've gone over everything more clearly, feel free to give up on them after that.

electrolites

>fresh juicy new body
why don't you have a seat over there

yes but you see
*puts on the cool shades*
tehre is no sp00n....

That's great, but I don't call my mother 25 years later asking what was proper way to hold a spoon again.

The fact that I need to tell my family for the millionth time to restart the device or try to input their login credentials again carefully is just nerve-wrecking. And it has helped 99% of the time.

>Try turning it off and on again
>Is the caps lock key on?
>Is it plugged in?
>Double click it...
>Double means twice... Click it twice...
>No, you don't have to double click everything, you just need to double click to open the file...
>Of course you opened that window twice, you double clicked it...
>Oh god, why did you set it to automatically select the file when the mouse is over it? Because you don't like double clicking? But now you can't use selection boxes properly and you're accidentally opening files all the time!

My grandmother was not very good at computer.

not sure why you're so surprised
there was only a couple years between when cellphones really caught on in popularity around 2000 and smartphones popped up, unless you're brainwashed by apple into believing the iphone was the first smartphone

Remember the palm treo? Shit was pretty cash in the day.

i remember eyeing up a bunch of palm and pocketpc pda/smartphones in the electronics stores, but i was just a kid with no money, so i never had one (not that i'd really have much use for a pda at that age)
the closest thing to a "first pda" was when i got a psp, and got right into it's homebrew scene. homebrew allowed the psp to act not unlike a poor man's pda, with lots of non-gaming applications being made for it

Yes, but at that time I was 2 years old.

You are a grown-up person, so if you are too retarded to use something like Google, you might as well just kill yourself and save me the trouble to pay for you for 15 years or more when you are an old an useless piece of trash that sits in his retirement home and does nothing but putting me to expense.

Well?

>why did you set it to automatically select the file when the mouse is over it?
my dad has been using this "feature" since Win98

every time i go to his house i accidentally open multiple browser windows and several of the files he keeps strewn over his desktop...which he leaves black with no wallpaper because he needs all that 8 GB of RAM for Doom II.

Man, I WISH I had a fucking PDA as a teen. Paper agendas were a huge fucking hassle and my life was a disorganized mess. Modern cell phones are like manna from heaven.

>boomer logic

>too many viruses on mom's win7 laptop
>install Linux mint and teach her the basics
>she figures out bash in a week or so
>compiled her own custom kernel a week later
>yesterday, she hacked into my home server and left a message citing 12 CVEs

SEND HELP

>he needs all that 8 GB of RAM for Doom II.
do you really blame him?

Holy crap man.
My elders aren't even remotely this retarded, they know how to google current weather, read latest news and call me via hangouts. At their 65+, easily.
Take my pity.

Yea

who makes fun of their parents anyways

you taught me how to use a spoon 1 time not 300

Yep there's really no defense for this, PC is no different from a telephone. I wonder how this would have went down in the 30s, 40s, or 60s when you show up and say
>I want a job but I not only don't know how to use a phone but I will always refuse to learn how
Yet you see these old fucks in every business where they're on a PC at least 90% of their time, 5 years into the job, still can't figure out their software that hasn't changed in all that time. Um no, you aren't cool for "fighting" this, all you need is two of these old fucks and they form this little support club where they help each other not use the software. Get the fuck out of this and every industry. I could see how you're still fighting this in 1990 when the technology was only relatively 20 years old in terms of being easily available for business and when phone-only software support was pretty shitty but it's been another 20 years and the entire system has been dumbed down just for you. There's really no excuse and businesses need to kick these assholes out asap.

This is why IT is so shit, you can't get these assholes out, and I went for programming. It's so fun to hear some clever boomer on the phone "overhear" how I can "make it be super cool" and then I hit the business with the quote for implementation and it's "we'll just teach him instead"

>We lost power (and therefore an entire day's work) three times that year and we were already in crunch mode.
and what did they say towards the backup psu after that?

fucking lost.
wp user

Imagine browsing Sup Forums at 80 years old and calling people newfags

huge complicated excel files are my favorite because I try to replace them with a CRM but it's a hard sell because it's always
>oh but this is always the way we've done it
>Hey I remember when it used to take 5 minutes to load, now it takes 10, you're new here you wouldn't understand
My other favorite thing is when people freak out and try to sabotage me because they know that even the most simple shit tier CRM or anything for that matter would replace them overnight. It's also funny to easily show people how if you copy-paste 10K rows you can make it even slower and go into the "future" they claim won't happen, like as if copy pasting the data somehow isn't the same as legit new rows. Excel spreadsheet at this point pretty much means someone wants to keep the business stupid as fuck so they can steal money or something somehow

You would be SHOCKED at the number of companies that still use AutoCAD because Solidworks is tooooooo scaaaryyyyy for the old codgers in management.

at this rate Sup Forums will be the new facebook with the increasing number of normalfags
that april fool's joke will not be a joke in some years

Then there was a power struggle between various people in upper management (one big Italian family) and they eventually got them but you'd only have 15 minutes to save everything when the lights went out.

And so, Sue
You're now saying your cognitive faculties should be compared to those of a two year old?
Oh dear

>YOU BROKE THE SPOON LOOK WHAT YOU DID

every single time

I know your pain

Not at all, the man can absolutely destroy that game in a single sitting. He actually learned how to maintain his PC primarily by gaming on it, he's been big into racing simulators and FPS since the early '90s.

Part of the problem older folks ted to have is this weird idea that this technology is some kind of ephemeral fad, like everyone will come back to their senses and put pen to paper or physically mail something for personal amusement eventually. People in the late 1800s probably felt the same way about cars, until the cars became faster and easier to operate than a horse.

Also, normal people do not understand that a computer can only do a handful of things at once, that it can only do what a program tells it to do, or that at any given moment they may have 60 individual programs running on their computer. To them the desktop is just a picture and the only program you run is a word processor or web browser. Then you go and show these morons the task manager and how their single core Acer is melting under the load of three separate antivirus programs all trying to scan a 5200 rpm drive at the same time and they're like "woah!" as if it wasn't bleedingly fucking obvious running more antivirus programs isn't going to give you more virus protection, just make it impossible to use your computer.

Very well, thank you. How are you?

except my grandpa taught me how to use computers
its my parents that are retards

Our current generation will still have retards, but it wrong be nearly as bad as the current batch.

Simply being able to Google "how to..." makes learning how to operate any basic technology a trivial matter.

You're assuming retards are able to use google.

>L33t S []D 3 /-\ |

I am a technology services employee at my local Office Depot, we have had a man come in several times who freaks out about his computer being hacked repeatedly and nuking his life's work of collected Jewish conspiracy theories which he is very happy to tell you about. He may actually be from Sup Forums. What actually happens is: we boot his PC up and he has gone to a facebook ad or porn site with a browser hijacking dialog box that spams annoying audio or instructs him to call "microsoft", I click the X on the dialog or just kill the process, charge him $60, give him his computer back and tell him to fuck off. There's another guy that does binaural beats or some kind of neuro-acoustic wizardry and every computer he's bought from us has come back dead. Full charge, no one home. We think he also goes to weird places but does some physical damage so he can return it (even though that really isn't necessary, RTM for those fuckers).

I had another guy come in, tells my boss that he's having email trouble, when I get over there he's trying to send an email with a misspelled address and wondering why they're getting rejected. Once I point this out, he asks if I can copy and paste the text from the email he wants to send into a new email, so that the recipient will see he tried to send it several times. Only problem is that the headers from the failed deliveries take up an entire page's worth of text for what was literally a one line, 5 word email. I about lost my shit when he asked me to copy and paste his own fucking email, and this motherfucker was rolling around with a goddamn Surface Pro, talking about how much money he makes and how successful he is all and this garbage, so I lit up on him for being such a massive shit talker and then I showed him how to copy and paste all that garbage text himself. He did, and was actually weirdly happy that someone actually got mad at him for being obtuse. Now he's a regular customer and knows what the fuck CTRL+C/CTRL+V do.

>>Have to setup some shit and change a bunch of settings on a customers PC at work
>>Suddenly Windows 10
>>Panic
Serves you right for falling for lincucks meme.

Classic
vimeo.com/116787124

>closed Google at the end
The only winning move was not to play