/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

GPUs:
>Vega 64 is barely better than 56 for $100 more, avoid it
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti, 1080, Vega 56 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=391&r=8192&sort=price&page=1
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/M24fNN
mega.nz/#!XUlx2KaK!FTTP3JBvbBVSmqNPOmkkBarXLCIBHFjk2DnSC3eqt9U
pcpartpicker.com/list/H9cCjc
pcpartpicker.com/list/F9Hvpb
dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-25-monitor-u2518d/apd/210-amll/monitors-monitor-accessories
dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-24-ultra-hd-4k-monitor-p2415q/apd/210-agnk/monitors-monitor-accessories
dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-27-4k-monitor-u2718q/apd/210-amlm/monitors-monitor-accessories
reddit.com/r/MSToolkit/comments/76f40y/megathread_for_all_tools_edit_5/
newegg.com/global/it/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=1070 ti&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1
newegg.com/global/it/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487387
strawpoll.me/14376763
pcpartpicker.com/list/mF6cJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/c2Xm6X
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Would it matter if I update a Samsung 850 Evo's firmware after I have installed windows on it?

1440p 144hz monitor on a GTX 1060 if I just turn settings to low?

a 580 would be better as it has 2gb more vram.

pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=391&r=8192&sort=price&page=1

No it has G Sync.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/M24fNN

what's a good monitor to for this build I'm planning?

Are these monitors good for gaming?
> Asus VZ279H
> Asus MX279H
> HP 27es 27" Monitor

remember, I only went to 3200 because it was the cheapest option out of 2800/3000/3200
don't overpay for it, each step up is only worth like 5%.

gsync is irrelevant. you're not going to consistently go over 144 fps with a 1060 or a 580 on 1440p.

if you want to be good at games, go with a 1080p 144hz monitor.

Look man I'm not buying AMD they suck

i want a semi budget 1500-2000$ gaming computer, can anyone suggest a build?

you have two options

144hz 1080p
60hz 1440p

now the question is do you prefer resolution or framerate

>Are these monitors good for gaming?
look at response times

1000$-1500$**** sorry

RX 580 RMA guy from the previous thread reporting results.
HWMonitor showed dramatic dips in 12V (consistently below 11.7, dipping below 11.0 before crash).
Now, after reattaching all the cables (doing some cable management in the process) and resetting the CMOS battery, 12V is showing constant 11.7-11.9 and the system is stable.

I felt the need to inform someone of the success.

>le everything from X manufacturer is great/shit meme
kill yourself

>you're not going to consistently go over 144 fps with a 1060 or a 580 on 1440p.
that's not why you get gsync

That wasn't me. I already have the 1060 though. I'm just wondering if I can get by with it at 1440p until Volta.

"Ryzen" sounds cool, like some kind of ninja name like "gaiden", however 7700k sounds like you own some super rare space metal, like check out my 7700 carrot gold CPU. Then people would go shitdamn, where the fuck did that come from, thats impossible! But at the end of the day ayy em dee has cooler names like opteron for example, like its an autobot from transformers. You should pick the one that sounds cooler, so when people ask what your computer has you'll score more cool points.

>not going for the biggest possible terraflops so when you're comparing in the pc center bathroom you can terraflop it out of your pants and impress everyone

I want this fucking tiny computer but I remembered I can't do anything with it

What do I use to crack Wangblows 7 these days? Is Windows Activator 2.2.2 gud? Where to get it?

Old version of Windows Loader before they infested it with malware. I've used it thousands of times without any problems.
mega.nz/#!XUlx2KaK!FTTP3JBvbBVSmqNPOmkkBarXLCIBHFjk2DnSC3eqt9U

ty pham

> soon a single port will be bigger than the computer

i dont know why user but you just triggered me hard

Is the i5-8400 really worth the extra $71 over the i3-8100?

Overclocking weather is finally here.

Quad cores (as in. only 4 threads) are dead if you want to play the latest and greatest.

Maple syrup or vodka? Bonus option: earl grey tea.

(comedy option not included)

>i5-8400
you aren't going to buy that right now are you user? buying an overclocker mobo for a locked cpu is retarded as hell

yes it is. you use gsync to stop screen tearing, which will not occur with his build at 1440p.

I'm going to do a major upgrade on BF/CM.
I rather keep it under 700 dollars.
Right now I have an AM(emergency)D FX8320, and an R9 280.
I want to get a jewntel processor and an nVidya GPU. I also need to get new RAM and a new PSU.
And I will obviously need a new mobo.
Any suggestions? I'm thinking of getting a 1060, but not too sure about the CPU since there are a billion options, and would like to Future proof the mobo as well.

Adding to that, I have a 59hz meme monitor. But I can wait to upgrade that.

from previous thread

Comes down to pcpartpicker.com/list/H9cCjc which is about 100$ more than you wanted
if you can find that 100$, I'd get that
if you can find another 50, I'd get the 16 gigs of ram option, since ryzen doesn't like having all ram slots filled and forces lower speeds if you do fill them all. This upgrade would mean you don't have to worry about RAM at all until you build an entirely new PC
if you can find another 30-50, I'd get a dual fan 1060 6gb, which will make a lot less noise.

>Maple syrup or vodka? Bonus option: earl grey tea.
burgers

I flashed my HDD from a windows 10 USB and now my PC won't even boot to BIOS.
Tried reconnecting everything inside and resetting the cmos. Nothing is working.
What do I do?

Someone knows where can I check rumours about the Riven Ridge launching? I only wanna know if it will arrive before January.

>gsync is irrelevant. you're not going to consistently go over 144 fps with a 1060 or a 580 on 1440p.
That's precisely why gsync is relevant. Do you even know what gsync is?

MSI afterburner already does a perfect job at frame limiting

>MSI afterburner already does a perfect job at frame limiting
Gsync doesn't limit the FPS, it matches the screen refresh rate with FPS.

>FPS lower than RR
Turn settings down
>FPS higher than RR
Limit FPS

Whoa buddy I just saved you $100 for some gimmick.

Current build: pcpartpicker.com/list/F9Hvpb

My PSU or something is acting wonk right now. (Waiting for 2nd RMA to happen). But I can still boot.

But I am not looking to upgrade CPU until Ice Lake maybe, or whatever AMD has out to fight an actual new arch from intel. (I remember people going oh why would you need the 6800k it is less clocks and no gaymes use multicore properly reeeeeee)

Same for GPU want to wait until volta.

Mostly I wanted a 2nd monitor to set up vertically, but going below 4k seems like a downgrade. Any reccomendations

Looked at:

dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-25-monitor-u2518d/apd/210-amll/monitors-monitor-accessories

(Had HDR meme)

dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-24-ultra-hd-4k-monitor-p2415q/apd/210-agnk/monitors-monitor-accessories

dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-27-4k-monitor-u2718q/apd/210-amlm/monitors-monitor-accessories

>Turn settings down
Good luck getting consistent 144Hz at ANY settings in new games.

you can avoid screen tearing without using gsync.

Buy a new hdd.
Try formatting hdd from bios and reinstalling windows. Google it

his point still stands, dummy.

If I have a 1070ti. Is it still not worth it to go for a 144hz monitor?
I think i need a new monitor since my old one is 8 yes old.

>no 8700k
Nice try shill

I use Microsoft Toolkit 2.6.2
Grab it here reddit.com/r/MSToolkit/comments/76f40y/megathread_for_all_tools_edit_5/

Will graphics cards be able to do 1440p @ 144Hz soon?

The thing about high-refresh rate monitors is that most games are designed to run on 60Hz monitors, so even if you manage to remove GPU bottleneck, you'll just run into a CPU bottleneck before getting consistent 120 or 144 FPS.

I'm not saying that this makes 144Hz monitors NOT worth it, but it's something to keep in mind.

144hz is almost always worth it, especially if you want to be good at the games you play.

probably not until late next year.

Got a 1060 i5 2500K atm, thinking of getting 16GB RAM and a Ryzen 1600

fantastic idea.

newegg.com/global/it/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=1070 ti&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

alright, which one?
planning to play at 1080p and not upgrade for quite a while

>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds WITH a dedicated graphics card
Absolutely fucking retarded. Take this garbage out of the OP

Should i switch my GPU already? pic related is two years and half old.
If not, Where would you rank the 390?
[spoiler]i'm already at 1080p it's an old pic[/spoiler]

newegg.com/global/it/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487387

Reminder that last generation's CPU are completely defunct. Don't even consider getting one.

Is AyydoredTV right in his last video?
Saying six cores are not going to last at the top very long and that eight cores will be what will remain relevant?

We we see another 2500k vs 2600k debacle in 2 years or so when comparing 8600k vs 8700k due to threads?

I'm curious because I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU (i5 2500k) to a 8600k, but now I'm seriously considering paying the extra money for the 8700k.

thanks man

Still 60hz though?
Then I'd say no.

>8 years later
>this is still the best looking case

Are there any case that comes close?

>Should i switch my GPU already?
No, the 390 is about 580/1060 tier, which is great for 1080p.

Get a 1060

I would hold off for a while. Your 2500K will drive 60FPS easily in most titles

They already can. Anything 1070 or above is a good 1440p card. You don't have to keep a locked 144FPS on a 144Hz monitor; in fact it's unlikely and that's OK

1080p 144Hz VA panel are cheap. Check OP pcpartpicker

If your FPS are already below the refresh rate of your monitor AND they're acceptable (like 50FPS if you have a 60Hz monitor OR a 144Hz monitor) you don't have to worry about settings or use Vsync

>flashed
Wrong terminology. Anyway you don't "flash" your HDD. Seems like you fucked up somewhere

You might be able to set a custom refresh rate in Radeon or Nvidia Settings. I changed mine from 59.83245 to 60.0000

>cant even buy it

>If not, Where would you rank the 390?
It should be between 570 and 580.

>Get a 1060
a 6gb?
for how much time will it last me until i have to upgrade to get 60fps on 1080p?

1060s are useless. 580s cost just as much and perform just as well, but have 2gb more vram. you shouldn't buy either if you have the budget for a 1070 ti, though.

I'm trying to build something from 0, this is what a friend recommended to me. The currency is Chilean pesos (CLP). He told me that between what's there and the I3, the last one isn't really worth it, considering the price and limited budget.
I'm thinking on buy the RAM used.
Any opinion would be appreciated.

i have a budget of about 1k to 1.5k yuromoney, and as i posted above i'd play on 1080 because that's more than enough for me (been playing 900p all these years)
it doesn't have to be now, but i read on these threads, the 1070 ti price will go up with time and i didn't want to lose the chance to get more bangs for my bucks

Just get the i5 8400 for now. Intel might release an 8 core consumer i7 in the near future and it's unlikely to be on 1151v2

The i7 7700 is going to be a great upgrade from the G4560 when the i7 costs about the same as the new i5 on the used market

All you need to do is OC the 8320 to about 3.9GHz and get a new graphics card like the 1060.

>Quad cores (as in. only 4 threads) are dead
Absolutely fucking retarded. 2c/4t CPUs are still great, shithead.

By platform cost (CPU + mobo), the i3 8100 is outperformed by the R5 1600 right now

Pretty dumb to buy a new 1440p 60Hz monitor for games. How many times do I have to tell you shitheads that you don't have to keep a locked 144FPS at all times on a 144Hz monitor?

Check OP, retard. Just ignore the A8 9600 trolling, which is way below your price range anyway

If you don't want to upgrade your graphics card often, get 1080p. There's a great 1080p monitor in the OP pcpartpicker.

Can be done, really the 6GB 1060 is a minimum 1440p card.

change the mobo to a b250. everything looks fine.

the 1070 ti will go up. buy asap.

This probably has an obvious solution I'm missing but I need help. I just built my first computer and got all the parts and cables in where they should go, but when I hook it up to the monitor, it's not showing anything. The power for the PC works as the fans spin and the LEDs go on. How can I tell if it's a problem with the monitor or cable or if I just screwed something up with building it?

Did you hook the monitor to the GPU or the motherboard?

>580s have 2gb more vram
Which is pointless at 1080p. Additionally the 8GB 580 is more expensive than the 1060 6GB in most regions. A 3GB 1060 is also possible, which is about 30% cheaper than the 6GB version

With careful adjusting of settings, probably until they quit making games on the PS4/XB1

Looks pretty good. Make sure that the H110 has an updated BIOS, otherwise it won't work out of the box with the G4560

i hate this country

Yes, I think it's time to retire most APUs from the list, or at least waitâ„¢ for Vega based apus.

No, should be okay

>time to retire
They've been out. Some shithead is "trolling" right now

What's the pros and cons of VA monitors w/ regards to TN and IPS? Are they good for gaming?
I'm interested in Samsung LC27HG70, it's a VA panel and I don't know anything about this tech.

That's like $120 more, don't think I can afford it. Thanks anyway, will consider for the future.
I'll have that in mind, thanks.

>6GB of VRAM is useless

lol you guys are silly. there are plenty of people playing with 4GB and 3GB still, 6GB will be good for the next few years

here i got you your complimentary AMD hat JUSTWAIT amirite

GPU. I even took it out and connected the monitor to the motherboard.

> there are plenty of people playing with 4GB and 3GB still
This, no use getting fucking 8 gigs of Vram to gaym @ 1080p.

i just want to play videogames at max settings/1080p and 60fps for the years to come

yeah there's a reason the gtx 1080 can play at 4K@60FPS with silly stuff like AA and (what)works disabled even though it has four times the amount of pixels to store in VRAM.

honestly DX11 was released in 2010ish, DX12 in 2015ish, so anyone with a 1060 6GB should be good til 2020 or later

Bump. Some good ol user?

>Which is pointless at 1080p.
factually incorrect.
>Additionally the 8GB 580 is more expensive than the 1060 6GB in most regions.
only $20 more on average everywhere. the difference is completely justified due to the extra 2gb vram.
>A 3GB 1060 is also possible, which is about 30% cheaper than the 6GB version
the 3gb version is a waste of money that will be completely outdated by this time next year.

let's settle this
strawpoll.me/14376763

pcpartpicker.com/list/mF6cJV
>tfw checking deals and saw PSU's for $9.99 after MIR but missed them
What components usually go on sale often? PSU's and Case's seems to have rebates on them frequently. Do any of the parts in this list go on sale for any lower?

>That's like $120 more, don't think I can afford it. Thanks anyway, will consider for the future.
the reason i say this is because some h110 boards are not compatible with pentiums. just be careful

Eternal reminder that the two most important parts of your PC that will determine what everything else shall be within your given budget are your Monitor and PSU.

144hz VAs are curved, and curved monitors are shit if you actually want to be good at gaming. TN + ICC profile will get similar results in terms of color.

Show me one case where having 6GB of VRAM cripples a card at 1080p, but having 8GB saves it. You can't, and the extra cost isn't justified.

PS4/XB1 have 8GB of RAM TOTAL, i.e., for both system and VRAM. So obviously 8GB of VRAM is excessive but 6GB might be useful

>the 3gb version is a waste of money that will be completely outdated by this time next year.
By completely outdated, you mean that the Super Hyper Megaton 4K texture option can't be used?

Shithead

the 3gb is within 7-12 FPS of the 6gb in every benchmark @1080p

what are you talking about

the 580 is a good card, but it doesn't make sense why it has so much vram and still performs within spitting distance of the 1060 6gb, maybe they should have rerouted that money into the GPU...

nobody said 6gb is useless. i said the 1060 in particular is useless, because the 580 is superior. also, imagine being so retarded you don't have the slightest clue how vram works.

Should I buy a non HDR 4k monitor? Or is 4k pointless without it?

>PS4/XB1 have 8GB of RAM TOTAL, i.e., for both system and VRAM.
PS4 and XB1 also run games at 30FPS and low settings.

PS4 Pro also has 8GB of RAM in total.

is the stock cooler with the R5 1600 good enough for slight overclocking?

most shit goes on sale nowadays. i saved you $50 for essentially the same performance:
pcpartpicker.com/list/c2Xm6X