/arch/ - Arch Linux General

*tips GNU/Linux fedora distribution* run le Arch? Why yes I do, m'lady.

>Q: Is Arch for everyone?
A: If you're completely new to Linux, you might want to go for an easier distro, like Debian, Manjaro or Solus, but if you know a little bit about Linux, you might be presently surprised about how well you'll be able to fool your way around.

>Q: Is Arch hard to install?
A: Nah, not really. Follow the install guide at wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide, don't be afraid to ask questions and Google.

>Q: Why should I run it?
A: You'll learn a bunch about how Linux works, be able to use the AUR, customize your distribution how you want it and try and make your classmates notice how cool your i3 rice that you copied from reddit is (they won't)

Rules:
1) Don't be autistic

Other urls found in this thread:

systemd-free.org/
forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1060828.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

btw i use arch

AUR is love

Only one rule, and you managed to get it wrong.
I use arch and I'm autistic.

I have installed Arch on my desktop computer, laptop and raspberry pi. Only my phone doesn't run Arch. Has anyone tried Arch on an Android phone? (run it natively, not using vm that you download from google play).

Did you install Arch ARM on you're Rapepi?

I think Plasma mobile is based on Arch. You need to have Nexus 5 or 5X to run it, though.

I've let you down :(

Yeah

You're forgiven user.

Arch was my first pick and I've never felt the need to switch distros.

>If you're completely new to Linux, you might want to go for an easier distro.
Actually Arch is pretty simple.

Artix install died randomly few days ago, after a system update (kernel panic cuz no init). The repos are worse than hell, expecially system-testing. I love pacman and aur too much to change distro, but systemd is horrible and we need something better than Artix. I hope for some official support ASAP.
This is not the "lmao Arch breaks easily" meme, because I never had issues with pure Arch, but Artix, the OpenRC fork, can be a nightmare

OP here, same for me, but I mean, a lot of people don't feel the same way if they're not familiar with the command line.

I am so glad a resource as extensive as the arch Linux wiki exists

If you're a beginner, but not a brainlet, Arch is actually ok as a first distro. It's hard, but hard in the right way.
Learning how to get some shitty DE to run like Windows is useless in the long run, but learning to use the command line, partition disks from it, configuring X by hand, etc. are solid skills to know.

I'm still surprised how much is in it. I was looking at Citrix ICA Client earlier and it had a wiki entry.

>Actually Arch is pretty simple.
Yeah, but not for linux virgins.
I can't imagine a typical Windows normie installing Arch on their first try, even with arch-anywhere. I've had normies ask me how to dualboot Ubuntu with Windows 10, arch would be way above their level.

Nice trips, what's the difference between Atrix and just pure Arch?

Jokes aside, is Arch anywhere a good option if don't want to spend the time installing it? I have installed arch a couple of times, but I'm lazy to do it every time. I've read a couple of bugs about arch anywhere relates to its configurations files, but is there any significant disadvantage?

im thinking about installing either gentoo or arch on my soon-to-come x220. i think installing gentoo would teach me fair bit about linux os, but i like aesthetics of arch, of which is just DE. in theory, with arch, i would get luke smith's DE package or something. would it be easy to install similar DE as Luke smith's on gentoo?

Is Arch the most anime OS ever released?

Never care about aesthetics when choosing a Linux distribution. Any distro can be made to look exactly like any other distro.
Yes, all the software he used to get that DE are available on Gentoo. If you want to install Gentoo, do as Sup Forums alqays says, and unironically
>install gentoo
Don't worry, getting it to look exactly like that is possible.

Arch and Gentoo aren't even really comparable. You'll be able to install arch and brag about it to your internet friends, but when you install Gentoo you'll be suicidal.

thx user. im still new to linux, so really cant see much difference between gentoo/arch. but i feel like i need to learn how linux works and whatnot. gentoo it is

Arch anywhere has always crashed at installation for me. Better to use Antergos. But the most stable for me has been installing Arch by myself.

Why should I use this over Gentoo?

? care to explain?

I'd honestly recommend installing arch if you want to familiarize yourself with Linux. Gentoo doesn't do a lot of the things that you'd expect from an operating system (hardware detection, ect) and while the documentation seems simpler, it really isn't.

Arch is a lot simpler, but still allows you a lot of freedoms, with the freedom of the AUR and a lot more. Please, for the love of god, don't install Gentoo, it'll make you suicidal. Just install Arch and you'll learn a lot.

See I'm a bit drunk at the moment, so it might take me a while to respond.

Arch and Gentoo, despite being both considered "advanced" distributions by a lot of people, are very different in the way software is organized and distributed.
Arch is a binary-based distro, while Gentoo is a source-based distro. That means that most software is distributed directly as source code you have to compile yourself. Yes, even the kernel during installation is compiled.

Threadripper can compile Linux kernel in 33 seconds, new Gentoo recommended specs?

im using ubuntu gnome atm. i tried to use i3wm on it, and stuff like docking stations and wifi are not working as well. not that it really matters. ill be doing some C numerical analysis library reserach next year, and thought that i may need to understand linux os better
ive read about that, that you need to compile everything for gentoo. still on the fence. i feel like the torture would make me grow, but we'll see

Arch isn't any harder than anything else, seriously. If you look closely at the Wiki and hold it up against the documentation for any other distro, it's pretty much the same thing. I've had the same Arch install for 5 years, (it was my first attempt at Arch) and I only recently deleted it because I had installed and removed and tweaked so much stuff in it, that it was bothering my autism. It ran perfectly fine though, I just wanted to start new with a clean slate. Most distros are pretty stable these days, desu.

Yeah that's fair enough, docking stations are a tricky beast. The Dell docking stations seem to work on my Latitude laptops that I get from work.

I'm pretty impatient, compiling from source makes me want to an hero. Installing pacaur and making a working system probably takes around 30 minutes vs 12 hours.

>you need to compile everything for gentoo
Not true, you have the option to not do this, but you sort of lose the main attraction of using Gentoo.

freetard anti-systemd autism

Generally speaking when you see the entire community of a distro only able to make "ironic" threads about how it sucks and you shouldn't use it, you know you're dealing with hipsters. Especially when the first question's answer is "don't use arch" (protip: all these questions are designed to get you to not use arch)

What's going on here is that the distro is dying and their ability to get attention is slipping. So they have to pretend to be a mediator and be all nice to try to get you in, this is so they can hit you with the "scrubz!!!! fuck off!!!!!" bomb later.

Note how serious distros like ubuntu, debian, fedora etc don't have this problem, and never will. In fact posting something like this on those forums would be seen as ruining their reputation and you'd be rightfully banned. It's not that it takes time or effort to make a distro, anyone can do it, it's that the entire thing is fucked by design to "distance" themselves from "the normies". No arch user is interested in linux, computers, or technology, this is a game they are playing for attention. This belongs on /fa/ instead of Sup Forums.

If you want to be a hipster, please at least do it properly and go for BSD. That way you can say "oh linux is so 5 years ago" and appear really unique in IRC, and you won't be poisoning an actual project which is already succeeding. This is the technological version of running around town and keying cars so you can just sit there and say "lol i did that"

>Parabola
>pacman -S your-freedom

>pic related

>linux
>succeeding

Rule 1 was made for you :^)

Arch can be hard if you're not familiar with the command line, but if you want to learn about stuff, you can't go wrong.

Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora certainly have their place, perfect for beginners, but there is certainly people who would like Arch. I'm not really sure what your argument is.

what does "learn stuff" mean? what can I learn while using Arch that I can't on other distros

Merge into /fglt/ please, thank you.

Don't get me wrong, you can learn all of these things on ubuntu if you want, but I found personally that I got more experience working my own distro, if you're going through the partition table yourself, you might understand it a little bit more.

go away please :)

its just linux

We don't need a million fucking generals for every little thing. If you wanna talk about arch and only arch because you think it's so different, I would recommend going back to plebbit.

>arch
>little thing
Make your own general if you care.

Arch is different from a lot of other Linux distros, not too much, but enough, you seem like the person the term SJW is directed towards.

yes, you are right. I learned some more about EFI/BIOS, partitioning while installing Arch. I also gather some knowledge about difference beetwen DE, WM, login manager. After that I didnt really learn much except customization :/

"Learn" is a hipster by-word for "I'm better than you!!!!!"

You won't "learn" anything besides arch's stupid bullshit. Likewise if you go for slackware to "learn", you'll learn slackware's stupid bullshit. You're not going to see a real response besides "you just do learn stuff" because this is like a sales tactic for cars like saying "you won't find out how it's better until you buy" the only difference is you're getting played by IRC turds.

Note how million and billion dollar businesses use ubuntu, debian, and fedora. And no VPS company even offers arch anymore, because customers pick it by accident or by these shit "recommendations" and then since they are a first time linux user, they will just blame the host that it's fucking up all the time. This is why digital ocean dropped it hard.

If you want to do this, install ubuntu/anything mainstream and then install apache, and learn how to use sed, grep, and awk, regular expressions, and how to manipulate lots of files at once. Your job as an administrator is to administrate apps, not to administrate the system. The entire POINT of the os is to take care of this for you, so you can have time to work with apps.

If you don't believe me, head on over to indeed or any job site and look up linux distros.

How much customization though? i3 and Budgie are different beasts, but I mean half the fun of Arch, and anything desu is breaking it and repairing it. I honestly had a lot of fun doing that.

Like when people say that stuff breaks on Arch, it really doesn't. you can break stuff yourself, but upstream packages don't really break all that often.

>Rules:
>1) Don't be autistic
I guess this thread doomed.

> use arch
> systemd
> packages keep breaking
> search for alternative
> find gnu ganoo
> install gentoo
> more packages available
> everything works with everything
> no unneeded packages
> no systemd/optional systemd

Still using Arch?

Tbh I wanna install Arch as my second OS because I dont really like apt-get (some packages are old, I dont like adding new repositories all the time)

just searching for config files and thats all desu

I fucked up my Xorg two times and I managed to repair it, because I had some backup config files

You don't seem to get it, a rolling release distro and a stable release distro like Arch are two completely different beasts.

All Arch users will agree if you want to have a stable system all the time you use something different. I'm OP and a Sysadmin and on non critical systems that need to work for the next eight years without an update because people are out on minesites and just need to access word documents, just use LibreOffice and add the SAMBA shares using AD.

What I do is just copy the skel file and remove the lines that tell x to do shit that nobody needs, and then add your DE and stuff, can't go wrong.

A lamer Ubuntu-using script kiddie corporate shill prof was teaching a class on Mark Shuttleworth, known corporate spy and Linux ’programmer’.

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Shuttleworth and accept that he was the most highly-evolved programmer the world has ever known, even greater than Richard Stallman!”

At this moment, a brave, i3-using, bash scripting Poweruser who had over 1500 vertically-segmented Terminator windows and understood the necessity of systemd and fully supported all design decisions made by the Arch developers stood up and held up his sister’s netbook.

”What’s this computer doing, pinhead?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite graphically and smugly replied “It’s clearly using apt-get to update Ubuntu with all the latest software.”

”Wrong. It’s been 5,000 years since these packages were released. If it was actually installing the latest and best software, as you say… then it should be running Arch by now.”

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his Ubuntu phone and list of Amazon referral links. He stormed out of the room crying those shill corporate bloatware tears. There is no doubt that at this point our professor, Robbie Williamson, wished he had pulled himself up by his bootstraps and become more than a GNOME Unity user. He wished so much that he had a some privacy to shield himself from embarrassment, but he himself had sent his search history to Canonical’s servers!

The students applauded and all installed Arch that day and accepted Aaron Griffin as their lord and savior. An eagle named “linux-ck” flew into the room and perched atop the US Flag and shed a tear on the chalkboard. The ArchWiki was read several times, and Judd Vinet himself showed up and enacted a rolling release system across the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. His system experienced kernel panic and he was forced to reinstall Windows for all eternity.

you could easily replace "rolling release" with "shit-on-purpose" since this is just an excuse when every other unstable version of mainstream distros still get it right. What new feature of random software could possibly matter when you have the vast library you already have which is stable.

Also you know exactly what you're doing since we're here in a thread "recommending" arch to supposed newbies. Following this anti-clever logic of calling it "rolling release" and "buggy" why would you then tell any newbie to use it? you do this because you want to see them fail.

>just need to run office suite
This is the need of 99% of people, now let's talk about supposed sysadmins - replace office suite with running a lamp stack. It already works on mainstream unstable distros, it already works on 10 year old distros for that matter. There's literally no point in using arch, slack, or gentoo except to be a fucking trendfaggot.

1) Urgh, can you just read my previous posts man.

2) I'm saying that you'll learn a lot if you're new, but it might not be the best thing if you're not familiar with command line.

3)
We run locked down linux on all of our machines, and then citrix for windows programs like CHEOPS.

What if I use arch but don't rice and don't watch anime?

then why are you even on Sup Forums

Because there is more to Sup Forums than ricing and anime

umm no?

Love is AUR

Why bother at that point?

I finally tried my hand at manually configuring i3-gaps

how did i do?

Would be better if you had more of a smaller taskbar;

really? it's at 25 atm, how small would you go for?

desu I've never found a rice that suits me, but personally I'd set it down the bottom and make it a tiny bit smaller, not much.

i was considering putting it on the bottom, yeah. Well, thanks for the advice user, I'll play around with it.

I mean I use Budgie, so don't listen to anything I say. Used i3 for a little bit and know the keybinds for my laptop. I find that a lower taskbar makes me less claustrophobic. That's just my opinion though.

funny, i always found it the opposite way. Lower taskbars felt more cluttered to me.

As I said, don't listen to me, I always found those people on reddit weird, if it works for you, who cares? Your productivity is more important than someones on the other side of the world.

Unless you're in Geraldton, Western Australia, in that case, we can discuss it irl, my opinion doesn't matter.

Running manjaro on a sager clevo rp670g something like that. Intel core i7 and gtx 1060 laptop. Manjaro freezes at init when running in mshybrid mode. Works in discreet.
I remember setting a boot command line flag to get intel gpu to work. Anybody know of getting bumblebee working on this laptop?

Are you getting any boot errors? c

No errors just stops at init. This laptop been out over a year and still having this same issue as when it was released. Ugh. I ran it with discrete and that burnt an IC out in it. Dont want that happening again

I have a metabox (basically Clevo) and the problem i had were sound related, this might sound crazy, but when was the last time you reinstalled. Solved my sound problem

>aqua as the mascot
>not best girl

GET THE FUCK OUT
E
T

T
H
E

F
U
C
K

O
U
T

This is a fresh install with dual boot windows. I remember finding a forum thread where somebody else with a newer sager had to use boot flags to stop intel boot hang.

no, that's pretty much what Sup Forums is about

Exactly what CPU? I remember Skylake was having some issues.

>pacman is fast but not safe, it tends to break shit and config protection is implemented in a terrible way

>there is no official process to verify that a package is stable within the distro, in other distros a lot of packages are in a testing repo despite that specific package's developer claiming it to be stable on its own, because it might not be stable within the environment of a specific distro

>(arch v gentoo related) arch users complain about 'muh compile time' when it comes to gentoo, while in fact they compile a lot of AUR packages themselves, namely the *- git packages that pull the source from a git repo

>but it gets even better: they only compile a handful of packages, and those not being libraries mostly, the self-compiled packages get linked against precompiled libraries from a different setup (e.g. different optimization levels), which can then cause even more instability because it's a clusterfuck of unequal shit

>arch uses (((systemd))) and switching to something else is hard

>the vim package on arch pulls in X, so if you want to have a fancy terminal text editor on a headless server, you need to install a shitton of GUI stuff which you'll never need nor use

>maintainer told the guy who complained to just symlink vi to vim (vi is inferior)

>he runs sudo pacman -Syuu and expects things not to break

>bullshit

>bullshit x2 just use pacaur

>I'll admit, we used to do that, but I can't find any recent sources with that problem

>systemd works fine and you can switch if you want, soon it will be d/system, we shall all become systemd

>you can remove it

>cause he's autistic

>cause he's autistic
they all are

>>pacman is fast but not safe, it tends to break shit and config protection is implemented in a terrible way
idk what you're talking about, never had pacman itself break anything, by contrast ive had apt shit itself so many times for no reason whatsoever
>>there is no official process to verify that a package is stable within the distro, in other distros a lot of packages are in a testing repo despite that specific package's developer claiming it to be stable on its own, because it might not be stable within the environment of a specific distro
Arch is a bleeding edge distro, theres no conspiracy here
>>(arch v gentoo related) arch users complain about 'muh compile time' when it comes to gentoo, while in fact they compile a lot of AUR packages themselves, namely the *- git packages that pull the source from a git repo
No need to compare the AUR, thats the same as saying compiling programs from source in debian breaks shit, they're third party ofc they're gonna break shit, on the hard i rarely have trouble with the AUR if you know what you're doing
>>but it gets even better: they only compile a handful of packages, and those not being libraries mostly, the self-compiled packages get linked against precompiled libraries from a different setup (e.g. different optimization levels), which can then cause even more instability because it's a clusterfuck of unequal shit
i have no performance problems with aur packages
>>arch uses (((systemd))) and switching to something else is hard
everything uses systemd today, also systemd-free.org/
>>the vim package on arch pulls in X, so if you want to have a fancy terminal text editor on a headless server, you need to install a shitton of GUI stuff which you'll never need nor use
thats gvim you retard, vim doesn't pull X
>>maintainer told the guy who complained to just symlink vi to vim (vi is inferior)
source

also forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1060828.html

what kills arch for me is the retarded amount of faith people have in the AUR and nothing ever gets moved into the official repos

you can chroot into the arch bootstrap image and build from there.

But chroot is shit and they packages uses too much space on a phone with man pages and other retarded crap.

I personally prefer entware-ng although im seriously considering recompiling pacman to get to install files in /opt rather than root so i don't have to chroot.

>using outdated firefox
>having flash enabled
>running it as root
>this is gentoo's fault

yes, gentoo fags are that retarded.

Get BTFO

Arch doesn't even take that long to install. Most basic setup is 15-30 minutes if you know what you're doing. Then you just need to install your DE of choice and set up some miscellaneous shit, which might or might not be time consuming depending on what DE you chose.

>Still using Arch?
yup

literally the only time I had shit breaking on upgrade was when I messed with infinality patches when freetype 2.7 came out. After removing infinality and installing plain freetype everything Just Works(tm)

"If you know what you're doing" you install ubuntu and it takes 4 minutes of just waiting. You cannot join the club by using a script, another version of it, or a version of arch with an installer. That's because there is no club to join since the entire thing is a game and no advantage of installing arch or any obscure distro. If you make it to the IRC, you have been let in so they can pick apart your choices on something else.

>tfw it's my first distro
>actually the second time I installed linux
This shit is fucking user hostile, I'll tell you that. Almost 10 hours to get this to work and I almost lost my Windows partition because I wasn't even sure of what I was doing. Fuck, only when I finished installing it and saw nothing but the tty I found out that Arch was super raw and meant for customization, which is something that made me fall in love with it. Having a blast trying new shit here.

Daily reminder that Arch Linux doesn't even follow the KISS philosophy and that Void Linux is superior in every way (hmm ok the wiki is not that good compared to Arch but you can apply the Arch wiki for nearly everything).

>installing arch as a first distro
are you actually autistic? There's a reason Mint and Ubuntu exist. Hell, even Manjaro would do. It's a good thing you didn't fall for the install gentoo meme straight away.

Say I have a Librebooted X60. How am I, a 32-bitlet able to enjoy the joys of Arch? I've heard there's the arch32 project, but is it any good? Will I be able to enjoy the joys of the AUR?

I just wanted to say that I've become a full time Linux user after trying Arch. I had played around with Ubuntu and other distros in the past but it didn't click with me how powerful and useful Linux was until I had responsibility and control over my system that distros like Ubuntu hide away.

I just wanted to say that I've actually had time to make fucking money after trying Ubuntu, it's much more of a high to use programming to solve real world user problems in software over jacking off in a terminal and IRC on welfare

>are you actually autistic?
I don't think so
>There's a reason Mint and Ubuntu exist.
I used Ubuntu in high school. Didn't like it.

The "Babbies First Linux" article in the installgentoo wiki stated that Arch had an extensive documentation and the largest software repository, that's why I chose this distro.
I can't really complain, I learned quite a lot from the installation alone.

By the way, do you have any recommendation for me?

everyone's just going to install manjina and pretend they are enlightened arch users

arch fucked me twice in the last couple of weeks
gdm is full of bugs every update