Ghetto rigged my eGPU

ghetto rigged my eGPU

show your ghetto rigs

good job user now you can watch chinese cartoons without image artifacts with your neckbeard fashion style.

Get a W530.

actually i did this to avoid having to carry a desktop everytime i need power on workplaces (i work as a videodesigner in theaters ecc), i hate laptops limitations

still too broke for a new PC with TB3 tho, that would be great

Boi, teach me. Didn't know this was possible without thunderbolt

It can be done with Express Card slot, but its pci-e 1x

damn thats ghetto

I always liked the idea of egpu but it's just so bulky and inconvenient. Instead I prefer gamestreaming to my laptop instead, if the connection is solid on both sides it's pretty solid desu.

>mfw got a 7950 back in the day.
>Power hungry big mofo.
>system had a 350 watt no name power supply that could barely supply power to my then phenom II and GTS 450.
>Got another 400 watt Evga power supply.
>Used the no name to run the board, processor, HDDs, and used the Evga to run the card.

It worked, but eventually I wanted to know if the Evga could handle running the system on its own, needless to say the pos burned out, thank fuck it didn't take something out with it, RMA'd it though.

cut up some smoking area signs from the hw store and bolted them together to keep dust off muh 1050ti

>Optimus over PCIe 1x connection

I only connect my eGPU for a few specific games so I can't take a photo of it, but it basically looks like with a ThinkPad and separate monitor.

expresscard, you need the gpu, an EXP GDC and a Dell DA2 power adapter, as said is pci-e 1x so the expresscard may be a huge bottleneck depending on the kind of work you plan to do. you don't have a video card, you have an excellent parallel processor.

thank you

as said i needed performance on the go, everything i have on that table is 500€, a single laptop that fast would've been like 2000€ or more

you showed me that picture a few weeks ago, you inspired me

i'm not using optimus, i disable and renable the iGPU depending on what i have to do

This

the x230 is my daily driver, i use it for fapping, netflix, facebook stalking, video rendering, 3d (just projects). it even sent a video live on my national television. i love its portability, with this solution i just add the gpu to my backpack when i need more power

Honestly I do admire your gpu box

>I disable the igpu
Explain

depending on what you're doing having multiple gpus (the GTX and the HD4000) can cause issues, the first is that you can only have one for rendering the interface and you get best performance on the screen that one is attached to. so when you have an external screen the browser lags while scrolling if you have the integrated gpu active, instead if you're using the internal screen you have lag when using the external gpu.

disabling and renabling the HD4000 from the control panel can be useful depending on what you're doing.

also as said most of the programs i use see the GPU as a parallel processor for the CUDA engine, so i can keep the HD4000 and use the internal screen with no lag. but (for example) Resolume arena won't allow me to use the eGPU if when starts the HD4000 is on. so i have to disable the iGPU, start the program and then renable the iGPU, this way i have the eGPU rendering graphic effects on external screens and the iGPU rendering the interface on the internal screen, they both work in parallel with no issues.

i even made shortcuts in the start menu for fast switching (along with shortcuts for fast power plan changing that microsoft removed in windows 10).

pic related, sorry for the italian

Thanks for the explanation user

One more question,
What if I unplug my egpu restart without it while igpu is disabled

Sounds like a pain in the ass

ok bro, do you have links on what I need to buy to make this work? I have an expresscard slot on my x220T

lmao don't waste your money, its not worth it.

So you need
>a gpu
>a gdc beast expresscard adapter
>a Dell da-2 psu
>ideally a monitor

Get on my level

Here's what the entire setup looks like
GPU is GTX 670

>gamestreaming to my laptop
user if you're still here would you mind telling me more about this? I considered egpu due to cost reasons but don't want to risk running into weird bugs and all that. If possible I would love to just get a destop and slap a 1050 in it, then stream through whatever medium possible to my laptop screen. But I don't know exactly how I'd go about streaming it to my laptop, how did you do it and how well does it work?

Almost no transmit latency over 150Mbps 5GHz WIFI. RTS and fighting shit does well over this but there is lots of latency encoding on your GPU.

The higher the res and quality the more you'll feel it.
Scene complexity shoots bandwidth up so you might feel some latency if your network isn't up to snuff.
Use fast settings that will look a little blocky but you can maintain native res and do well enough.

The latency is a little hard to work with if you're gonna do something like a twitch shooter though.

The CPU is in charge of passing a basic video signal to every kind of monitor connected but it will be slow as fuck, enough to fix things

Easier done than said, you just need to understand what's happening in your PC and you'll know immediately what do to

I bought the adapter on amazon and the power supply from eBay, used. Keep in mind that you need a male-to-male 12V 6pin cable to power a GPU with external power in, I don't know how to find one I made one.

lol that's cool

The W530, especially with the 1080p display would be much better for programs and working in general. Admittedly, its not that portable but its still not going to break a back. Its almost exactly double the weight of the X230. I have both.

the W530 can handle up to a monstrous i7-3940XM, a 55w chip. Still much more powerful than most average laptops these days.

Gutted a P180. Cut out fan intakes on the bottom, mounted the PSU in the 5.25" bay. Worked pretty damn well.
Shitty part was that we couldn't find good feet for it to rise it up for better bottom-airflow, so I had to stack it on books. Also made it a HUGE pain in the cunt to clean the radiator since this was way way before removable dust filters were easy to find.

I don't have a 5GHz router yet but my laptop supports it, the 2.4GHz channel is a bit saturated here. Would it be possible to use gigabit ethernet instead? I suppose this would ideally give the maximum bandwidth and minimum latency. I don't mind 1280x720 resolutions as long as it's smooth (constant 30fps at least assuming the gpu can push that of course).

This works through encoding video on the gpu and then sending it over the network right? Is it an Nvidia only thing or AMD too? How much of a penalty do you think it would be with games like The Witcher 3 and GTA V on low with an ivy bridge i5 and a non-Ti 1050? On the laptop side all you need is software to receive the stream?

In fact I'd like to buy a w530, with the quad i7 and a desktop GPU should be a perfect workstation. I'm thinking about using one in my uni apartment as a desktop and carry back home the FX based desktop I'm currently using for heavy loads.

I'm currently saving for a motorbike tho, I'm pissed about spending every useless € for actually useful things. I need to waste money on a dangerous vehicle. I'll think about it next year.

lol it looks stupid, good job user we need stupid projects

Forgot to ask, dumb question but im just learning about this: do gamestream and the likes include remote controllers so I can fully use my laptop to game or is it strictly a video-only streaming solution?

>ghetto rig
Done.

lol wtf how big is that thing

>i7 2600
>8gb ddr3 2133
>gtx 1050ti
>120GB SSD +1tb hd

It's a hyper 212x inside a Rosewill ranger m

Should have just gone for compact cpu watercooling unit instead of that big metal meme.

You could do a better cut desu

i felt the quality of the job was fitting given the price of the case ($20 shipped)
the 212 was $20 after rebate and the case probably wouldnt fit even a 120mm AIO

Who painted around that window frame, Stevie Wonder?