/hrt/ - Hardware Removal-of-botnet Thread

Sorted by Architecture Edition
Last thread Findings so far
x86:
For desktops, there's lots of C2Ds and atoms listed, but also some very nice opterons and apparently an iMac
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#desktops-amd-intel-x86
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#serversworkstations-amd-x86
For Laptops, you have the CD and C2D memepads
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#laptops-intel-x86
Purism doesn't do libreboot, but their roadmap includes this as a future goal.
puri.sm/learn/freedom-roadmap/

ARM:
Obviously there's a shit ton of SBCs (Pi, Olimex, etc).
For a laptop option with an open firmware, try ARM Chromebooks.
I'm dead serious. Open it up, unscrew the write protection screw, reflash coreboot, install loonix of choice.
coreboot.org/Chromebooks
In general, your biggest concern with ARM is the GPU drivers.
Mali is fucked. Don't use it. PowerVR too. Vivante GC, Qualcomm Ardreno, and Broadcom VideoCore are fine.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_graphics_device_driver#ARM
Some anons have reported that lighter environments like XFCE are usable on stuff like Mali without the driver, but it's not ideal.
One user said he couldn't remove the ChromeOS on his libreboot C201. This github issue talks about a solution.
github.com/altreact/archbk/issues/3

OpenPOWER:
Raptor Engineering sells POWER9 workstations, that may soon be getting RYF certification.
They're expensive as fuck, but probably the most powerful non-botnet computers that exist. Comparable to Xeons/Epyc.
raptorcs.com/TALOSII/

PowerPC:
Here is a project for a Libre PowerPC laptop, shooting for RYF certification.
powerpc-notebook.org/faq/

MIPS:
The /csg/ of desktops. Lemote is a chink company that sells libre MIPS boards, using PMON firmware.
lemote.com/html/product/

RISC-V:
Only SBCs here. SiFive has some.
sifive.com/products/freedom/
There's also LowRISC
lowrisc.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

embeddedplanet.com/product/single-board-computers/
nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/power-architecture-processors:POWER-ARCHITECTURE
cavium.com/Table.html
coreboot.org/Chromebooks
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture
orangepi.org/orangepipc2/
inforcecomputing.com/products/single-board-computers-sbc/qualcomm-snapdragon-820-inforce-6640-sbc
archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/rockchip/asus-chromebook-flip-c100p
youtube.com/watch?v=F8fJMQDVAGo&app=desktop
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's the difference between OpenPOWER and PowerPC?

If I get a libre non x86 SBC, how well will linux and BSD be supported?

It saddens me that the x86 architecture is fucked beyond salvation.

Pretty damn well. Many major distros and BSDs support ARM, and there's still some that support MIPS. I wouldn't know much about RISC-V, as it's super new, but I'd imagine support for that is coming soon.

I think endian

This is the future you chose.

Every time you purchased a computer. Every time you installed proprietary software. You helped x86. You helped Intel and AMD maintain their duopoly.

Yep. I really don't see that Libreboot X220 happening.

Now we have reached the ultimate. All competing architectures will never achieve critical mass. Let us end this pointless illusion of freedom.

>will never achieve critical mass
Why would you ever want that ? it will just ruin those architectures.

>Let us end this pointless illusion of freedom.
I wonder who is behind this post?

It is time for a hardware subscription model. You no longer own your computer, you merely rent it. We have reached diminishing returns for performance improvements. The easiest way for Intel and AMD to remain profitable is to extract monthly payments from their users. ME and the AMD equivalent provide the tools necessary to enforce this.

This has been made necessary by the number of holdouts who still run local software, and keep copies of their files locally. They cannot be trapped by software-as-a-service or cloud storage.

>this will be the future

Scariest part of this is that this is actually what they want.

Ransomware has an interesting similarity to the future. Pay up within the time limit, or lose access to your files forever. A subscription model is both more forgiving and more insidious. You can regain access to your files at any point by paying, but you must continue paying forever.

How difficult is it to make your own SBC?

Indeed, the behavior of the victims of ransomware attacks could be used to fine-tune the parameters of a subscription model.

>hrt

You may think you can escape this by disconnecting. Never giving your computer internet access again. This will work, for a time. You won't get any software updates, but at the same time you won't get any attacks.

However, consider the frequency with which modern CPUs receive microcode updates.

They may be categorized as bugfixes, or security updates. You may be content to live without them. But there can't be that many bugs in a modern CPU, can there?

Consider a hypothetical microcode update, that modified a CPU to keep functioning for the next six months, but no longer. And another microcode update in three months time, which extended the operation of the CPU for a further three months. And another three months after that, and so on and so on.

Desktop and mobile working the same side by side will help drive interest in SBCs

But surely these could be audited by distro maintainers, etc.? Well, they need not contain any malicious code. Simply applying a signed update to the CPU lets it know that the computer has been connected to the internet recently. The CPU could already contain the kill code.

Of course, this sort of speculation is absolutely ridiculous, and bordering on insane.

>absolutely ridiculous, and bordering on insane.
Indeed

lel

What do you mean?

maybe ARM with phones/mobile taking over

Guys,
I think I may have hit the fuckin jackpot!
embeddedplanet.com/product/single-board-computers/
Lots of this stuff claims U-boot, and the processors seem to be either powerPC or occasionally MIPS.

Can anyone comment on this? Is this legit? It's going into the list for sure if it is!

More information:
There's quite a few that seem to use Freescale. Freescale is now known as NXP, although they still make the exact same processors.
nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/power-architecture-processors:POWER-ARCHITECTURE

Cavium makes super-high-performance ARM and MIPS CPUs. We're talking 2.5 GHz, 48-core holy shit processors.
cavium.com/Table.html

Bump

NO

NO

NO FUCK YOU

YOU TAKE AWAY MY RIGHT TO RUN AND KEEP EVERYTHING LOCALLY AND I WILL SET YOUR PRECIOUS DATA CENTERS ALIGHT
YOUR HEADQUARTERS ARE NOT SAFE

THIS IS AN ACTIVE THREAT

I 100% agree with this post.

Congratulations user, you’re now on a new active watch list

Can ANYONE confirm this ? Seems too good to be true.

Are you really more interested in destroying things, rather than creating something better yourself?

Campaign and vote for your rights and freedoms, each in your respective countries. Create new things, better things. Lead by example. Think!

AMD Piledriver is their last pre-botnet chip. FX-8350 is a great choice. Slap in an SSD and Gentoo with j8 and -march=native FLIES on it.

Good stuff. Added that to the x86 section.

It's real. Cavium Octeon in particular had an OpenBSD port.

Flashed libreboot on my C100P (identical to the C201 except it has a touch screen). Libreboot loads, offers me the standard ctrl+d or ctrl+u for internal/external boot. Neither work. Standard unchanged ChromeOS on the internal that came with the device. ArchARM on a micro SD. Kali on a USB. None of them work. When I try to boot any of them, the screen flashes white for a sec then black (but not dead, still powered). Any anons had similar issues? I'd rather not reflash externally back to the factory bootloader (saved a copy before trying libreboot), but it's looking necessary.

*has

Flash back to factory so it's at least in a in a known state.

Someone knows a cheap board with armv8 64-bits?

>For a laptop option with an open firmware, try ARM Chromebooks.
>I'm dead serious. Open it up, unscrew the write protection screw, reflash coreboot, install loonix of choice.

Yep, for all the botnet complaints Chromebooks are the most open modern platforms in existence.

The next laptop I get is going to be a chromebook (you can get them super cheap pre-owned around here because people get buyers remorse from thinking they're "not real laptops").

Just got to wait for this T60 to die...

Maybe build and flash coreboot?
coreboot.org/Chromebooks
With coreboot, you can have other payloads like SeaBIOS. Admittedly i'm not an expert on issues like this, but maybe the fact that Libreboot keeps the depthcharge payload for some reason is the problem?

>buying pre-owned hardware
user, I...

I'm really not fussed about what some silly old woman did with her "not real computer" if I only have to pay £20 for it.

It already came with coreboot from the factory. When I reflash, it will be coreboot again. It's my understanding that SeaBios won't run on my non-intel chip (please correct me if wrong).

Do you know if there are any ARM Chromebooks with Adreno or Vivante GPUs? I'd like to be able to use FOSS drivers.

Will do but then what? Do you think it's a depthcharge payload issue?

You probably just got a bad download. Make sure checksums match.

After looking through all these different models and options, I am honestly at loss with them, but according to
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture
ARMv8-A architecture is used in Cortex-A53, which is used in Allwinner H5, which can be had for 20 bucks in
orangepi.org/orangepipc2/
with 1 GB of DDR3. Allwinner, yeah, I know, but on the cheaper side nonetheless.

Adreno is Qualcomm, so unlikely. Vivante is Freescale/NXP, so probably not until i.MX8 hits.

>SeaBios won't run on my non-intel chip
Is that true though? the coreboot site says something about x86 there, but I don't know if that means it can't work on ARM.

My point is that as I have no clue what the problem is, I'm just making the guess that it's a depthcharge problem, and one of the many other payload options would work better. I'm probably completely wrong, but that's my theory.

Where can you get them for 20 british dollars each?

x86 BIOS is only for x86. UBoot on ARM just loads a kernel directly.

Gumtree, where everyone sells things they have buyer's remorse.

blimey thanks bloody ladm8

Is this one any good? inforcecomputing.com/products/single-board-computers-sbc/qualcomm-snapdragon-820-inforce-6640-sbc
A Raspberry pi 3 is kinda too weak for me.

Wow nice find! The GPU I think is free on that too.

>embeddedplanet.com/product/single-board-computers/
You are probably trying to use a vanilla kernel. You should have prepared and flashed a Chrome 3.14 kernel as per arch guide

archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/rockchip/asus-chromebook-flip-c100p

Oh, but can you run anything other than fucking android on it?

You're welcome. You have to be patient, but among all the piss takers you'll find people selling "broken" or "old" things for next to nothing. Remember, if something "wont turn on" it's likely just static (don't tell them that though).

Freedreno works with upstream kernels so probably.

>These instructions will create a dual-booting environment where you can switch between booting Arch Linux ARM and the stock ChromeOS
Not exactly ideal.

>3.14 kernel
Disgustingly far out of date.

Used that exact guide to prepare the microSD. I checked it and it external booted perfectly to Arch before I flashed libreboot. It doesn't work after I flashed libreboot.

They're promising support for Ubuntu in the future

ARM64 with open bootloaders and GPU drivers is the future.

>yfw hackers was right and risc really will change everything

I live in Germany, my wife is Chinese. we have been talking to lemote today to negotiate about reselling their hardware in Germany as it's not really obtainable here. We probably found an agreement to license their hardware. I have a degree in electrical engineering and I committed quite a bit to OpenBSD. I'm planning to sell their hardware in routers, firewalls etc in Germany but also to resell their CPU, boards and laptops since there might be a big enough market to justify it.

I'll keep you posted. I'm about to dump my life savings into opening a company that sells devices built with libre hardware

Stuff added:
Embedded planet NXP PowerPC stuff.
Embeddedplanet Cavium MIPS stuff.
A mention of Cavium in general because those CPUs look god-tier.
That Inforce board.

Still looking for clarification on ARM chromebooks. Need a surefire method to get ChromeOS the fuck out of there (no USB dual boot shit).

What is the point of using Crouton on a Chromebook?

Holy shit, man.
I wish you the best of luck. I hope it goes well.
It sounds like such a big risk, but it might just be the risk that we need to get RISC.

If you set up shop then drop a note to Stallman and the FSF, they might be able to put the word out to get you some sales.

If you have US-QWERTY keyboards as an option you'll get a ton of sales.

Looks like another way of doing a 'dual boot' sort of thing.
I just really wish it were more possible to just wipe the fucking chromeOS entirely off the device, and freely install regular distros to the internal memory like you would on any regular laptop.

Claim of C201 libreboot andArch install on internal without crouton or dual boot that I found on YouTube.

Nigga who is Kevin and how did he do it?

Are powermacs/iBooks any good?

youtube.com/watch?v=F8fJMQDVAGo&app=desktop

Fuck forgot link

What kind of prices will they be going for, because I'd totally throw some money down on this being my next PC build or laptop.

> my wife is Chinese

I took them off the list. Used to have them on there because "OpenFirmware", but apparently this """Open""" firmware isn't actually open, and it's a proprietary implementation of some standard called OpenFirmware.

I could be wrong though.

Crouton is a chroot (or possibly LXC container these days). It gives you a proper GNU userspace without ditching the ChromeOS kernel, which means you get full driver support. This is less useful on hardware with proper open drivers.

OpenFirmware on SPARC is actually open, but SPARC is falling behind even ARM on single thread performance nowadays.

H O W ? ! ?

>race mixing

>local software
>copies locally etc.
you make it sound like this isn't the norm. i-is that true??

The entire point of webapps, Chromebooks, and mobile is DA CLOOOUUUUD.

It's all going to (((the cloud))), user!

I didn't know that bullshit was taking over so quickly

whooops

Just wait until it gets revealed that certain CPUs have a killswitch timer. Oh,it's been 5 years? Poof, up it goes in smoke. Better buy a new computer, goy.

Someone leave a message on that dude's channel or email him asking for Kevin. Kevin knows his shit evidently. Have Kevin post instructions or video it.

This is the kinda thing i'm talking about. There has to be a method of just installing your own stuff on there. Goodbye Google. Hello freedom!

Reported to United Nations.

The chinks will always be willing to sell us real, unlocked, hardware, for a price. They want money.

what are the chances they just add their own backdoors

What about VIA x86 CPUs?
What about old PPC Macs?

We discussed this here:
Read threads.

I will look into VIA.