nongnu.org/ranger/
tedunangst.com/flak/post/sct-set-color-temperature
github.com/KatolaZ/setnet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>tfw i3, vim, mpv, urxvt, terminal as file manager
>but also macOS, zsh, chromium

I feel like a minimal half-breed

>terminal as file manager
is it pretty much practice makes perfect?
I just know some basic ass commands

qutebrowser is a nice minimal browser with vim like controls

I haven't tried it in a year. Is it stable?

its been working great for me, no issues yet

You can use ranger for a CLI file manager nongnu.org/ranger/

Yeah, it becomes second nature over time.

I don't think that's what was meant by using the terminal as a file manager.

True, but it's still a good option that fits the "minimal" theme

I meant, straight up terminal. Nothing else. I just think ranger is hipster for my taste.

WM: cwm, dwm
Shell: rc, pdksh (derived from ksh88, not93), ask (from busybox)
Editor: I wish I knew, Vim isn't minimal and sucks, nano is pure bloat, many smalls don't handle utf-8 well, maybe nvi?
Browser: lynx (the best of console browsers), qutebrowser, chromium, tor browser
Player: mpv
File manager: terminal, using ranger for some features but slowly replacing it with scripts
Terminal: st, OpenBSD's xterm
Other: curl, tmux

it got a pretty big release lately dropping legacy rendering engine for the new one

I like it but it's too autistic for my taste. I might change my browser of choice...

>OS
Debian
>Video Player
mpv
>Music Player
mpd+ncmpcpp
>File Manager
Ranger
>Shells
Bash
>Window manager
i3-gaps
>Image viewer
FEH
>Text editors
Neovim
>Web browser
qutebrowser
>Terminal
urxvt

How much is your package count?

patrician taste

some additions:
Player: ffplay (ffmpeg)
Image viewer: GraphicsMagick
PDF: browser, mupdf

gentoo is for retarded people who want bragging rights

>faster than most distros
>but you have to compile every fucking thing so in practice it's slow as fuck compared to other distros

>OS
debian 9 (stable)
>video player
mpv
>music player
mpd+memecccp
>file manager
pcmanfm
>shells
dash for scripting, bash for interactive shell
>window manager
dwm with fibonacci and mpdcontrol patch
>image viewer
sxiv with a wrapper script to handle directories, it's bretty good.
>text editors
no preference, currently using vim-nox, but something recently happened to suckless "sandy" editor and it appears the repository was deleted
>web browsers
iridium browser
>terminal
st with scrollback patch (you have to be fucking crazy to rely on
a screen/tmux session with every terminal window just to get this feature)

Oh would've forgot completely

>wireless networks
setnet.sh as a wrapper for wpa-supplicant as a NetworkManager replacement.
>pdf reader
mupdf
>screen dimming at night
sct tedunangst.com/flak/post/sct-set-color-temperature with a set of homebrew wrapper shell scripts and a cron job to progressively apply the "piss filter" at set hours.

After configuring it it's pretty great, only thing i miss is being able to hover on images in the catalog since no extensions.

>scrollback patch
as much i like suckless i'm a brainlet to apply any patches. I just use vanilla shit

Somewhere above +800

I still use things like gimp, octave, cad, etc

Literally the only thing I use that is graphical is a web browser.

Since I don't maintain a huge repository of patches I just cloned st-0.7 repository to my disk and applied the patch with regular diff/patch commands.

Same with dwm. Once I set both up I rarely ever touch the source code other than add another application in dwm source code to default to floating mode.

If you want the scrollback patch I can tar the files and upload it somewhere for you. You will most likely have to change the font (i'm using fixed) and the installation destination but otherwise it's good to go.

>firefox
>minimal

agreed, although chromium is more minimal and hence more performant than firefox.

Interesting man, Thanks for the reply but i use urxvt. It's more easier to like modify and shit. But i use vanilla dwm since i don't know C that well. The only thing i done to my dwm desktop is add the time and date status.

tty+tmux and console programs. Ez-pz

this. what the fuck

True linux minimalism would be Alpine linux, or maybe one of those distros made for 20 year old computers.

Idk, i fucked up. All the minmal browsers are too hipster and unstable. I don't like firefox either.

>OS
Gentoo with -O3/Graphite/LTO optimization MuQSS and runit
>wm
bspwm
>video player
mpv
>music player
mpd+ncmpcpp
>image viewer
feh
>text editor
nvim
>file manager
thunar
>terminal
xterm
>browser
nightly
>torrent
ruTorrent
COMFY AF.

for non-autistic minimal distro, along with gentoo, should be void, not debian.

Hmm, i guess. Since it has runit and such

Why would I want my shell to be minimal, rather than powerful? Why would I want ANYTHING to be so minimal that I lose useful features and shortcuts that I would just write myself in the minimal thing anyway?

Asking because zshfag.

>firefox is minimalist
Wut

So much this, void is the perfect non-autistic minimal distro, debian is a bloated piece of shit compared to void.

less bloat= faster performance

post void desktop,pls

BTW I don't jizz over minimalism, but a guy I'm in school with does, and he goes for an editor called Kakoune. It's a modal editor like vim, but supposedly pretty minimal and not hard to script for. I don't use it because there are no public extensions and I don't feel like learning a new modal control scheme, since I'm just now getting to be worth anything with vim.

sorry, my desktop isn't riced. just 'out-of-the-box' cinnamon

Windows 10

>comfy
>can run most sofware
>can run games
>can run industry standard creation software

It's not slow when you're not installing shit. You're not gonna permanently run emerge -uDN @world. Don't even try to deny that by saying your single core VM on a Pentium needs 2 hours to compile bash. Additionally, you still have the undeniably glorious flexibility of Portage.

As a Linux distro, arch can be pretty minimal albeit you'll probably have to deal with systemd. Even still, if you just use i3 or even xfce, you could definitely manage to cut down your root disk space to about 200-300 MiB.

Someone make a better chart than mines? Add void linux

This is pretty damn autistic, is this a troll?

Not really. How is it more autistic than anyone else ITT?

>iridium browser
Isn't that botnet?

It's a de-googlified fork of Chromium. I think the only way you can get less botnet out of from is to use ungoogled since Ungoogled is chromium with iridium AND inox patches.

But ungoogled doesn't maintain a debian repository and I don't really like having to watch out for updates as well as install them manually.

Why not vi?

>setnet.sh
I've been manually wrangling wpa_supplicant all this time, this sounds great, thanks user

Don't know what that is and don't care. I like wpa_supplicant

thanks for naming sxiv, I've been looking for a minimal image viewer. I use xpdf for PDF viewer since it has a sidebar where I can see the different chapters in my textbooks.

Also, if you're on a laptop, use wicd-gtk for graphical network control without the bloat of networkmanager. And why pcmanfm? Spacefm is superior without needing the lxde dependencies.

Yeah it's really fucking neat.

Just be careful I've noticed one bug.
You actually have to close it with the "quit" option on the main screen. closing the terminal window with it running causes some retarded behaviour and 100% cpu usage unless the process is terminated with SIGKILL.

Oh and right of the bat it will refuse to save your configuration to a file (produces a cryptic error that doesn't help). The solution is when you wake up the wlan0/whatever systemdicks description is for your wireless device the first thing you want to do is "Restart wpa_supplicant" from the WiFi submenu. You only have to do it once though at setup. Once it saves your settings and current network to the configuration file everything else seems to work just fine. No idea what's the problem, haven't bothered to actually do something about it.

>OS
macOS 10.12.6
>video
iina.app
>music
VOX.app
>file manager
Finder
>window manager
Aqua/Quartz
>image view
QuickView.app
>text editor
TextEdit.app
>Web browser
Chrome
>terminal
Terminal.app

try elvis.

"Minimalism = A very good thing"
Too much of something is never good. Also this. Icons, links, taskbars, menus have an useful function you know. I feel Sup Forums take that for granted. rip.

you guys are absolutely retarded

it makes no fucking difference using that shit, you guys just want to come off as edgy and unique using stuff that's obscure and free.

fuck you, you stupid faggot

the old vi has serious issues with unicode and control chars. There are also about 3 distinct pieces of what is called 'vi'.

>can run industry standard creation software

This is wrong. Literally the only good reason for a person to use Windows for any sort of development is because that is what their company gave them (the reason for that, probably because the company is cheap, or the software development team is just a small part of a large decades old windows infrastructure).

For literally every single new tech company and start up, they give out Macbook Pros to their employees. Shut your eyes and cover your eyes as much as you want, but it is nothing short of ignorant to deny that OSX is now the de facto standard for software development.

I feel this way strongly.
This guy took it to the next level
This guy seems alright

Console is the true Minimalism

someone's butthurt

post more, this looks cool

>minimalism thread
>thinking I would use systemdicks
I'm offended user

What distro do you use user?

>nd why pcmanfm? Spacefm is superior without needing the lxde dependencies.
I would like to but it doesn't have network discovery/network browsing features like any other file manager in existence

>se wicd-gtk for graphical network control without the bloat of networkmanager.
wicd is bloated as fuck thought.
the idea of having something in python as a background service dreads me plenty

>minimal
>debian
>no Void
>no Sauce Mage
>Thunar is minimal
>not ranger
>unironically recommending Firefuck, minimal or not
>no qtbrowser

Not home right now unfortunately and don't have my netbook with me. It's just tty console with tmux though. I use w3m for web browsing since it does images in framebuffer, and the usual suspects like ranger, mplayer, etc in my tmux windows. I don't split tmux enough though... I really should. Lately I've been using it like gnu screen which is a habit i need to get out of since it supports splitting. I need to set up a w3m split in my IRC windows for example for when people post links.

Eh rambling. I just am really enjoying the nostalgia because it feels like 1994 with slackware all over again, except with 1024x600 instead of 800x600 lol

Just use plan 9 and call it a day.

I'm sorry i'm not recommending hipster shit.

>implying minimal isn't a hipster-tier taste to begin with

ONE OF US!

I literally don't understand the laziness. I've never been able to trust shit like wicd so I just write a script to execute wpa_supplicant after bringing the link up and invoking dhcpcd on the interfere. The script, when executed at each login, checks to see if it's already running, if it is then it will exit gracefully, and if it's not running then it does the job it was written for. Why use a bunch of other bloat that essentially does the same fucking thing but with a much larger footprint?

Minimal isn't hipster. Cramming a ton of useless garbage into something with a minimal veneer is hipster. Like the iPhone.

>reddit spacing
get out

>Grammar = Reddit
Get out.

> I just write a script to execute wpa_supplicant after bringing the link up and invoking dhcpcd on the interfere. The script, when executed at each login, checks to see if it's already running, if it is then it will exit gracefully, and if it's not running then it does the job it was written for. Why use a bunch of other bloat that essentially does the same fucking thing but with a much larger footprint?
mate This is what we've been discussing

github.com/KatolaZ/setnet

>getting triggered because of an extra space
Contain your autism.

samefag, disgusting

You do know that putting a line in between the quoted post number is the imageboard users always have been typing right?

Void

>imageboard users
fucking reddit is in here

>Le reddit spacing le meme

Reddit spacing is when someone leaves two whitespaces at the end of a line, and then the next line is two whitespaces, then their next line of text begins.

This.

Is Reddit spacing.

This.

Is not.

On a laptop connecting to networks via commands is too much of a pain. I don't use wicd on my desktop.

Joke minimalism: Spend your life trying to create an autistic bare bones digital life

Woke minimalism: All Apple everything, get on with your life

true minimal:
alpine
openbsd
plan 9

cwm
rio

mpv
acme (for music library management)

feh
plan9's jpg/png/etc

acme
sh

ed
sam
acme

rc
ksh

surf
chromium(maybe)

9term
st

I wanna ditch my file manager but I don't want to lose the drag and drop image feature
WAT DO

Thunar

>leaving omegle without saying goodbye
;_;

no one said minimalism had to be easy

>not having a keybind for everything

Isn't ease the charm of minimalism?

>ctrl f arch
>1 response
I don't get it, the whole point of arch is minimalism. Are we circlejerking arch hate now?

why apple? that's fucking retarded. might as well go with google botnet instead

>OS
Ubuntu as a daily (used Debian, but it hates me for some reason), Arch as a secondary, windows for vidya.
>WM
i3
>shell
zsh
>Video+Music player
mpv
>file manager
terminal
>text editor
vim, sometimes I give Atom a try
>browser
lynx, chromium

~1600 packages on ubuntu, 750 on Arch.

would you think being a buddhist monk is easy? 1 meal per day, no possesions, meditating all day. it sounds simple, but it isn't.
it's the same principle

this but arch cmus and regular vim
all of which cos I'm stubborn

when you're the king of the hill you don't have anything left to prove. everybody else needs to get their distros name out there while we just sit back and enjoy our comfy arch

Actually, when the goal is enlightenment it is actually easier to make progress without worldly tethers and distractions, which is why they do it.