/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtu.be/rGz59CUxjns

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

vario.sg/collections/nato-g-shock
youtube.com/watch?v=xPWxvFjl4xQ
longislandwatch.com/Automatic_Watches_s/1933.htm?searching=Y&sort=1&cat=1933&show=18&page=1
unfinishedman.com/mgs-v-phantom-pain-watch-big-boss-seiko/
wanderingco.com.au
ebay.com/itm/1970s-LUCH-2209-GOLD-PLATED-AU5-23-JEWELS-MENS-WRISTWATCH-USSR-SOVIET-ERA/172970620406?
ehhhhbay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MENS-SEIKO-5-AUTOMATIC-DAY-DATE-WRIST-WATCH-IN-EXCELLENT-CONDITION/172967995792?epid=1274019887&hash=item2845b22990:g:RYMAAOSw~QRZ9F9E
twitter.com/AnonBabble

lol, thanks for the help guys. any recommendations on a casio to wear for activities like work(construction), outdoors, working out, bike/moto riding, etc.preferably under $200. thanks.

A GW-M5610 is the last watch you'll ever really need
Solar, atomic time, 200m water resist, and because it's a square G-Shock there are lots of accessories like metal bars that go over the face and NATO strap adaptors

You can get one for under $100. There are different colour combinations you can get, but they're more expensive and functionally the same

see

Watchmaking thread

I hope you like getting your prostate milked by TSA agents.

>only to suffer its curse
That servicing on that thing was probably a curse in itself.

>and because it's a square G-Shock there are lots of accessories like metal bars that go over the face and NATO strap adaptors

can you give me some names or words to search for stuff like this? im not finding much on startpagee besides g-shock watches themselves.

Bull bars

amazon product desc says strap width is 12.7mm, but im finding nato straps that are 18mm, 20, 22, 24... what gives?

Hey guys it's me, the fat canadian, how do you like my newest pickup?

Perfection

BEST FINISHING UNDER A MILLION DOLLARS

I think you need to get a strap converter. For example vario.sg/collections/nato-g-shock

I hope anyone reading this thread takes some time to learn about the Supercomplication. It is is, as far as I am aware, unquestionably the greatest achievement in the history of watchmaking.
youtube.com/watch?v=xPWxvFjl4xQ

Any recommendations on springbar tools? The tips on the one I have wore out really quickly.

Bergeon 6767.

Ireland was a mistake

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

This was common knowledge and the brits almost starved those fuckers out but then they came to american and fucked like rabbits.

are you the Canadian?

>Seiko 5 SNKE03 - 4
OPINIONS?

My first ever watch. Loved it like no other. That being said it's a shitter watch because the plating rubs off almost instantly and the integrated bracelet feels cheaper than a Thai hooker.

in 20 years

We are all the Canadian. Je suis fatso

Any suggestions on something better than this?
I need something with features of:
>round
>analog
>automatic
>37mm case diameter
>waterproof
>tough

also around 100usd

>automatic
>around 100usd
What did he meant with this?

No idea
longislandwatch.com/Automatic_Watches_s/1933.htm?searching=Y&sort=1&cat=1933&show=18&page=1

I'm not a fan of blackout cases and the non-standard lugs

Save a bit and get a Seiko SKX013 for about $180. Worth it.

I've had an SKX013 for about two years or so. It keeps great time and is durable. The jubilee style bracelet is cheap, but I don't really mind because it's comfortable. It's not as hefty as a Rolex jubilee. This watch also comes with a rubber strap.

I want a small diver like the SKX013 but not as thick. I think the profile looks off and silly.

Is there anything out there?

38mm Trident 300.

>500 us dollars for british invicta

Mid size Seamaster 300 is 36mm.

I want it cheap $200-$250 at most

You're going to have a hard time finding that, with less than 13mm thickness.

It's either gonna be a quartz, or a different lug design which makes its profile seem lower

Armida makes some smaller divers. Designs are kinda bland though.

I would be happy with a replica of Big Boss' watch from MGSV. I deserve whatever user can throw at me.

unfinishedman.com/mgs-v-phantom-pain-watch-big-boss-seiko/

Anyone know where you can still get Citizen NY2300 and NY0040? The major stores have them sold out.

That's cool. Swap out the bands maybe.

Seiko G757, they are expensive though as they're also a Bond watch.

It's based on Kojima's personal Seiko watch.

How pleb would it be to change the metal stretch band? I never did care for them.

The G757 comes on a rubber strap I think.

What stretch band?

Alright I'm giving into the meme

I want to buy a Vostok Amphibia model but I don't know where to start. Which ones are the best looking and iconic?

I think the one on the website has the clasp type with built in hair pulling.

But they're all made in Switzerland and some of them even had movements designed by the company themselves
Invicta make the watches in China with off the shelf movements from Switzerland or Japan (if your lucky)

Tell me what you guys think of this (App, custom Automatic watch design). Feedback welcome:

wanderingco.com.au

scubadude

Nice

Scuba dude with Seiko bezel.

I will divide it into four categories: vintage, modern "classic", newer modern, or SE.

Vintage of course are all the older models in Soviet times. There are a lot of franken watches and ones with faked parts, but you can still source originals with a bit of effort. This comes with all the cautions of vintage watches, should the movement need service or the water resistance may not be suitable.

The past couple decades not a whole lot changed, and several iconic models like the "Scubadude" or "Zissou" can still be purchased brand new. The 090, 710, and 420 cases are the most popular. Due to some lower quality parts modding them is very popular.

Earlier this year Vostok has finally upgraded a bit of their equipment and can now produce milled steel bezels and crowns. These are objectively better than all older models for durability but are offered at the same price. Pic related is one of the best looking ones and I recommend more people to check them out.

Last are the SE models like you pictured. Due to Vostok's manufacturing limitations their head designer started putting together limited editions made from Chinese parts. These are more expensive, but offer nicer dials, bezels, crowns, and bands. They are exclusive to his store Meranom.com.

hi guys, do you have any expirience buying watches from china on ebay? i'm considering getting ebay.com/itm/SEIKO-5-SNKL45-Stainless-Steel-Band-Automatic-Mens-Black-Watch-SNKL45K1-Gift/192282436373?hash=item2cc4ed2315:g:aucAAOSwRUhY-bUo but i'm kinda worried it'll be fake

Cheers :)

What do you think of the 120 cases?

I'm thinking about copping this gold Luch, should I go for it?
ebay.com/itm/1970s-LUCH-2209-GOLD-PLATED-AU5-23-JEWELS-MENS-WRISTWATCH-USSR-SOVIET-ERA/172970620406?

Personally I only go for filled, rolled, or solid gold watches, but if you like it, why not? Be aware, it is overpriced, though.

That is way too crusty my friend. Wait for a better deal on a better watch

Okay, thanks guys.

>But they're all made in Switzerland

where are they made then?

ahahahahahah

OK then

The movements are purchased from a Swiss company so 100% of their cost is treated as Swiss, and 60% of the total manufacturing cost must be on Switzerland. Note that if you make everything but the movement you bought in China and it's worth less than the cost of the Swiss movement you bought you will automatically hit the 60% threshold and be "Swiss Made".

so where are the cases made then?

China.

I knew the movements were Swiss, but I assumed other parts were made in Switzerland as well
Guess you learn new stuff every day

The SKX013 is 13mm thick. The 36mm Rolex oyster case is 12mm thick and the 38mm Omega Aqua Terra is 13mm thick, so I'm not sure I see the issue. Hell, the Omega Seamaster midsize 36mm is also 12mm thick.

answer me watchfam

Do you have 8 inch wrists?
then its fine

7 inch wrists?
2 big

It's a 38mm case?

13mm is like half of my wrist's thiccness
also, the design will look too thicc on my flimsy wrist
i dont know if i should get skx013
and water depth isnt important, im not into diving anyways
is there anything that has more slick bezels than that?
some of my finds that might be better
>SNKE01K1 - not all black finish and similar to first one, but brand new
>Seiko Men's 5 Automatic SNXS75K Silver Stainless-Steel Automatic Watch - brand new too
>Seiko Men's SNXS79K Automatic Stainless Steel Watch - same as last one but with black dials
or should i go for ebay for pristine/neato 2nd hand seiko 5 automatic
>old seiko 5 model - something like this which is suspiciously cheap, is this really originals?
- ehhhhbay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MENS-SEIKO-5-AUTOMATIC-DAY-DATE-WRIST-WATCH-IN-EXCELLENT-CONDITION/172967995792?epid=1274019887&hash=item2845b22990:g:RYMAAOSw~QRZ9F9E
its gonna be my first watch so i cant afford to make a mistake

120 case is 40mm w/o crown and 46mm L2L?

its 41x46mm

>SNXS79K
I like this one the best

that looks like an oyster perpetual

What? The cushion case makes it unique to all the rolex clones tbqh

>"Can't make a mistake" - wants to buy it on line.

If you buy it on line, unless you really know what you're doing, it will be wrong.
Stop wasting everyone's time on chat rooms, go into a proper shop and put one on. It's the only way to be sure.

i know what sizes to pick cuz i check watches from other people and know them sizes
and comparing sizes from different watches that i tried is good enough

>being this delusional

If you buy from a retailer with a good return policy you should be fine.

41mm includes the crown guards though doesn't it? It would wear more like a 38mm imho.

Those are almost exactly the dimensions of my 710 case, it 1mm bigger l2l. I have 7.25" wrists and that wears fine, the lugs are nowhere near overhanging.

This is a wrist shot of mine

It's succulent Sunday.

Those leaves remind me of lima beans. I never noticed that Nomos designed the crown that way. It's interesting but I don't think it really fits the aesthetic. Nice choice of model though.

Recommend me a watch, /wt/

I'm 35, tall, built ottermode.

Budget: 5-7k, has to be new.

Style: sporty but versatile (so not excessively tool-y), preferably with some kind of rotating bezel.

No date non-maxicase sub.

>non-maxi sub
>new
I wasn't under the impression that they made these.

I appreciate a lot about the brand, but a Rolex is a bit of a cliché.

Oh, glossed over that part. Still, don't overlook it just because it can't be had brand new necessarily.

I mean its not at all but okay, get a tudor then.

The BB seems off (hands don't match the indices; massive polished flanks), and the Pelagos is a bit too tool-y.

Navitimer

Not a huge Nomos fan generally, but that looks nice.
I much prefer those lugs to their usual style.