Job hopping

How many of you in tech jobs are job hoppers? how long did you wait before switching jobs? I hear 2 years is ok, and anything after 4 is a waste.

Also, what did you do before you hopped? Did you make copies of any of your work or pdfs?

I'm looking into a new job and I've made copies of any training pdfs I want to use later and small programs I built to help me design my stuff.

Made a copy of my ansible playbooks, and some of my bash scripts.

You need to switch jobs until you get the highest salary in your field and you are satisfied with everything else (people, relaxed environment etc)

6 months to 2 years is ideal I think. Basically as soon as you stop learning new things every day, get the fuck out.

>Also, what did you do before you hopped? Did you make copies of any of your work or pdfs?
Yeah, copy everything. You may not necessarily own the IP so don't go around telling everyone or starting a business on it, but nobody's going to notice that you copied a script or two. You can put up some stuff you did on Github or LinkedIn too.

this basically

Additionally, some more shit I wish someone had told me when I started working:

Never apply for a job you can already do. You're wasting your time if you're not working somewhere where you're being stretched.

Always lie to recruiters if they ask how much you're earning. Just tell them how much you want minus 10k.

Never get complacent at your job. As soon as you land a job start thinking about how you're going to exit it and what you need to achieve to do so. You might find yourself looking for a job sooner than you thought.

If you're not in a highly sought after position or you're young in your career, interview regularly even if you have no intention of taking the job. Interviewing is a skill, and it's not one you want to be learning when you desperately need a new job.

>TechCucks this fucked in their jobs
>They don't have comfy jobs earning six digits where they can fuck around all day doing whatever they want most of the time
Poor things

What do you do?

Desu this is how you make the west noncompetitive with Indians. Our only advantage is the turnover rates. If you set the standard that you can't get even a few years out of a senior developer eventually you won't be competitive.

I'm considering it, but I can get away with so much shit at my current job that I'm worried I can't get away with at another job. I spend at least one or two days a week working on personal projects.

Self employed contractor, whatever I want, really

Having employees stay for a long time isn't a good thing. All you get is people that can't get jobs elsewhere and don't know how the real world works. They're complacent and they know they can stay there no matter how shit they are.

Start applying at 18 months, but don't leave until the two year mark

Also, hop at differing time intervals, if you have 3 jobs in a row at 2 years each people are going to suspect or try to undercut you by not giving you shit after your first yearly review.

>tfw at the 18 month mark now
o dam

Wow, what a vague job description. Are you a NEET?

there is absolutely nothing that hasn't been programmed already.

Any time spent programming something from scratch is a total waste of time.

3 months - Tech support - 9.00 per hour
12 months - Network Tech - 20.00 per hour
9 months - Network Tech 2 - 26 per hour
12 months - Network Engineer - 40 per hour
6 months and counting - Network Security Engineer - 55 per hour

Job hop all you can. Less than 4 years to hit go over 100k for me. Lots certs along the way too

programming jobs literally pay you to sit on your ass and be useless. its a wholly sado-masochistic endeavor, programming has zero application in the real world.

Take advice in this thread, interviewing is a skill, 6 months gives you time to practice things you start noticing on job boards that you don't know, and gives you time to 'practice it' at your current job so that at the two year mark you technically have job experience with it

Really, you should do that a year ahead of time because 1 year of experience looks about 10 times as good on paper as 6 months or just "Experience in X", but 6 is wayyy better than nothing.

Good luck. Don't feel bad about getting an offer and turning it down, if you do manage to stumble into something before two years that is insanely good, take the dive, but stay a bit longer at the next place to make up for it.

congratulations.
you wasted your life and accomplished nothing.

>yearly review

t.n33t

Worked fixing PCs @ $1600/mo for 5 years

Worked delivering pizzas @ $4000/mo for 3 years

I fucking hate that I worked in IT at all.

We have reviews at my office, but I've gotten that surprised reaction before, last place didn't have reviews at all but that wasn't a dev org.

What do they do where you work?

I'm at the 4.3 years mark and finally looking.

I had to stay at least 2 years or pay the moving budget back.

Then I had to stay 4 years to become "invested" otherwise they would take back their contribution to my 401k.

*sigh* I didn't really want to leave but I feel my hand has been pushed. I have not been promoted the entire time I was here. When the head left I got all of his work with no promotion. I even manned up and asked. Then gave my resume to engineering and was all but told that they only wanted people raised locally. Then I tried to go to another project and they instead gave that to my friend that didn't even apply because he goes to church with the owner.

The last straw was they hired a new kid with 1 year less expeirence than me and gave him the senior position. He would sleep in my office and rat other employees out to the boss. He never finished anything. Then they made him a project head after 3 months of doing nothing. He now makes six figures.

I don't really understand it. I have a comp eng degree and an mba. I do good work. I help people in different departments. I stay late. I sometimes come in on weekends. And yet I see either assholes or nepotism always win out.

What about swapping jobs within a company?
I've went from hell desk to junior network engineer to sysadmin with about a year or so between each position

>4k a month delivering pizza
why lie on an indonesian smoke signal enthusiast chat-room

I don't give a fuck what they do. Why the hell would I care about "yearly reviews", raises, bonuses or any of that shit? At best I can get a few thousand dollars if I really put 110% in to it. If I job hop, I'm all but guaranteed at least 10k. My last job hop got me a 40k raise.

>moving budget
>401k
How much did that actually save you, and what was the opportunity cost of missing 3 or 4 raises from job hops in that time period?

>I don't understand it
What don't you understand? Why do you think you have been looked over? There must be some reason or something.

If your company is willing to promote internally, they're at least somewhat reasonable about the whole thing. Most aren't. You're still missing out by not meeting new people and experiencing new things in other companies though.

Service technician is my backbone, get probably 2-3 $700 jobs a week there, the rest is either really high paying clients or me fucking around on my own projects, some of which make money, but I hardly care.
I pity anyone who leaves college with $200k of debt and can hardly even get a $15 an hour job

Pretty much me desu.

I'm pretty much jerking around all day and the work computer I have is basically running fedora 26 which I installed and zero corporate spyware and my own vpn tunnel to my home.

It's pretty fucking nuts.

In August I brought home $4570.

You can believe what you want, but clearly you don't know how valuable pizza is.

>I don't really understand it.
>I help people in different departments. I stay late. I sometimes come in on weekends.
You act like a chump and you get treated like one. Why the hell would they give you a raise or a promotion if you're working your ass off the way you are?

> Most aren't.
Not true if you're working in one of the big tech corporations. They tend to be pretty good on internal mobility.

>What about swapping jobs within a company?
>I've went from hell desk to junior network engineer to sysadmin with about a year or so between each position

Thats better than nothing, but consider looking elsewhere anyway. You will probably get smaller raises from internal promotions. You also miss out on signing bonuses if your labor is prized enough.

To be fair, I'm working in higher ed while trying to finish my degree.

I'm about to graduate and I'm shotgunning applications out

>4 years
>wasted life

WEW

>>I don't understand it
>What don't you understand? Why do you think you have been looked over? There must be some reason or something.

nothing given. I think its either because they assume I will leave so why bother promoting me because I'm skilled and educated. Or its just nepotism.

>You act like a chump and you get treated like one. Why the hell would they give you a raise or a promotion if you're working your ass off the way you are?

Because this thread is about stem which implies some degree of skilled labor which sucks when you lose it? I'm like the only common thread for my current project. Everyone else left or changed roles.

Its going to suck when I leave. They didn't force correct documentation on me. They'll probably have to start from scratch when I leave.

Which reminds me, has anyone gotten in trouble for formatting their work computer the day they leave?

>>moving budget
k
>How much did that actually save you, and what was the opportunity cost of missing 3 or 4 raises from job hops in that time period?

For the moving budget, not much. Probably 1 check. I moved myself so I really only owed gas. The 401k would have lost me 15 to 18 thousand. And I did get a total raise of 9% over the 4 years via small yearly raises.

its not all bad. The 4+ years should make me look good while intervewing. HR people love that shit.

>heres some random deposits that prove it!
>pizza skills are valuable
the state of Sup Forums
get a real job

Go to job fairs that are hosted by your college. Seriously. Actually talking to people from various companies helps you a lot more than application shotgun.

job discussion is not technology discussion

>job discussion is not technology discussion
>Have you been to biz lately? its 50 threads about bitcoin

You make more money than a pizza delivery guy. Well done? That's $1200 of deposits from like 3 days. Are you retarded or just a shitlord

fake and gay
post ur pizza hat

Dear Sup Forums,
I live in a rural area. It's mostly phosphate mining and fruit picking out here. What do to get a tech job in my small town?

mining and farming require technology...

>phosphate mining

If it is corporate, the company probably has an engineering group, process control and process engineers. maybe an IT department.

Most of those will let you do tech, some. To be honest, a lot of corporate jobs is paperwork and managing people that can't work outlook or wipe their own ass.

I'm a contractor. No uniform, sign or hat.

>service technician
pahjeet pls

What the fuck

Contract technician.
I'm the guy they call when the employee pajeets totally fuck up a super expensive appliance and need someone to un-fuck it, where they know they'll lose money dropping $700 on me, on a job they'll maybe only get $500-1000 for, but they can't tell the client they wrek'd their shit.

>Service technician

Lmao.

>stem
Just having a degree in a certain field, does not change people's social behavior. You basically let yourself be taken advantage of and if you do it again, chances are you'll end up in the exact same situation at your next job. You don't need to be a dick, but you need to assert yourself. Start by never doing unpaid work, for one.

>has anyone gotten in trouble for formatting their work computer the day they leave?
That should be SOP at most places. Why the hell would you want to leave a bunch of personal shit on a computer that's likely going to be used by someone else?

not that other user
now we're getting to the meat of the substance

I don't get it. You contract yourself to pizza delivery places in your town, and they hire you when they need extra help or something?
Do you live in a large metropolitan area?
Are you self employed or work for somebody?
Is your work paid per hour or per delivery?
how did you find out about this job and did they tell you? "if you work hard most people earn 4k/mo" ?
do you mostly work evenings/late nights and fuck all in the mornings?

I switched jobs every year for almost a decade. Cancer research; military drones; karaoke machines; Gamma-ray CAT scanners; concert light shows; I've done it all. For me the most important thing is having a job I find exciting. After a year I'd have learned everything I could at the new job; stop feeling a sense of accomplishment; and move on before my soul got crushed.

At this point employers are getting really nervous about hiring me because they see the pattern. Party's over. I've got to stick it out at my present job longer than just a year.

Why would you do tech support if you're an engineer in the first place?

>super expensive appliance
like what? how could anyone fuck up most modern appliances they just get plugged in and possibly mounted with some screws

Tech support doesn't always mean telling idiots to try unplugging their modems. If a company makes something like a super complicated piece of industrial equipment they need an engineer on tech support.

I work the late shift, 5-6 nights a week. I'm always covering for fucking millennials that don't want to work more than 3 hours a week because they live at home. They literally cannot get drivers because young millennials do not want to own cars or have jobs or do anything. We have a roster of 10 drivers or so, every week 2 or 3 people just ditch their shifts or quit because their $500 car needs new brakes and they never spent $50 of the $2000 they earned on new brake pads. Currently, 2 people are quitting until spring because they don't want to drive in winter - one of them is a girl that just mortgaged a new house with her boyfriend. These people are fucking retarded and I always show them "look at my car, it was $12000, I bought it in cash and can buy it again right now, I made 4.5k last month busting my ass off, you can make great money with this job" only for them to work 3 shifts then stop showing up to shifts with random shit like "I only wanted to be scheduled one day a week". I'm there till 1am like every night.

It's not paid per hour. $4.50 per delivery, it keeps increasing - next year it's supposed to increase to $5 I'm told. Sometimes I take 4 or 5 deliveries with me and complete it in 45-50min, over half of what I make is tips so often I'm making over $40/hr. Sometimes from those 4 deliveries the total from the tips is like $30. I had no idea when I applied to the job about the income. Just that there was some people there that have delivered for over 8 years. Everyone says my tips are not normal but I also just deliver fast without missing shit and have social skills.

I spend about $400 on gas per month, they don't cover it. Last year I spent $5010 at gas stations.

It's honestly a bad job if you ever want to have a family or anything because the hours. But you can write off your entire vehicle purchase, all your gas, your maintenance, etc because they're all used for your job.

I've done a ton of different jobs too, worked as a glazier, landscape gardener, demolition, removalist, currently working as a cryptographic security consultant.

This. At some point you need to stay put for a while or you become unhireable.

It's everyones fault but mine
Good attitude

>Cancer research; military drones; karaoke machines; Gamma-ray CAT scanners; concert light shows;
What kind of skillset do you even have to find work with that kind of spectrum? Some kind of electrical engineering I guess?

>demolition
That's something I actually wanted to do while I was younger. Even got a demo license while in the military. Unfortunately, it turned out there just weren't that many jobs for people who wanted to blow shit up where I lived, so I ended up doing some more Sup Forums-related stuff instead.

good on you, mate

I also think that people living month-to-month are retarded, but not all loans/mortgages are bad.

e.g. if you have a 30 year mortgage on your house at 4% interest and you can make 3x what the minimum payment is a month, then you can invest the rest of your money and make say 6% returns on it, you've gotten free money from the state.

I do agree that it's retarded to stop working after you take a mortgage, but mabye her boyfriend is making they money and they are going to make some fuck and have babby now.

>Everyone else left or changed roles.

think about that for a moment.

Regardless of whether or not you get promoted, you should leave. That doesn't look like a good place to work at.

Well I was just a tool pleb, pretty dangerous and dirty work.

>What kind of skillset do you even have to find work with that kind of spectrum? Some kind of electrical engineering I guess?

>Not understanding the reference

Do you have autism?

I don't intend to be a job hopper. I understand that it is necessary to work in a 9-5 job to live a comfortable life. But I also understand that a job is nothing more than a way of earning money. It's nothing I do out of enjoyment or because it is "fun".
That's why I don't plan on chasing a carrot on the stick (higher salary) and instead get comfortable with the stuff I do now. Being a wageslave is already bad enough I don't want to go down the spiral of being a wagecuck.

>reference
I'm not even american, so feel free to educate me about whichever obscure pop culture piece that sentence is supposed to be from.

Golden Boy

Wut? I posted the picture because it's a character who hops jobs. I'm not literally someone who did a law degree at Tokyo U then wandered around Japan on a bicycle.

I did a computer engineering degree.

the swimming episode was okay
don't remember the others

>But you can write off your entire vehicle purchase, all your gas, your maintenance, etc because they're all used for your job.
underage idiot here, what does that mean?

Write-off usually means "deduct from taxes"

Lol, fucking weirdo expecting everyone else to understand some stupid anime reference.

I've been a burger flipper for the past 6 years. Aside from being fucking pathetic it's still looks sort of good on a resume in the sense that it shows I'm reliable and I commit to things right? In fast food shitty people get filtered out fast so being around for 6 years should show I'm at least a hard worker who they wanted to keep around?

If I'm applying to a technical engineering related job and have zero previous work experience with engineering I should include this non-relevant work experience right. Shows I at least had a job serves as a bit of an indicator of my work ethic?

What if my GPA is pretty shit too?

Usually $20-30k espresso machines, lots of robotic food production equipment
People just call it "Automatic", but seeing the shit that goes on inside half these machines, you can't not call them robots

I hopped jobs after leaving accountancy for IT. I always make copies of any documentation or scripts I write. I don't think there's hard and fast rules about hopping jobs. There is benefit to staying longer in some sysadmin jobs, you get to involve yourself in hardware lifecycle and planning. But the other side of that is you can rapidly grow your salary by changing jobs if you are good at interviewing and negotiation.

Began at €22k as an accounts clerk. Hated it.
Left after a year to do IT in some schools, retrained while I worked for myself.

Got a €29k support job while doing the degree.
Left after 3 months to travel, took a year off to enjoy myself after the misery of college. Worked some easy IT jobs, did some certs. Interviewed for several places, turned many down because they didn't pay enough. Got valuable experience in interviewing. Came back to €40k job. Will stay another while in in this one.

If you hop jobs, be prepared to justify it in interview. I had the excuse of traveling with fiance for her work, and HR eat up stuff like "I moved around for love". Also a great excuse to leave a place is family.

I'd also say have at least 3 months of expenses in the bank, it'll help overcome any panic you feel in negotiations for salary. Be mercenary.

Nah, the guy is making like $20/hr and he's an alcoholic, they failed on a mortgage last year because they couldn't keep tenants downstairs. They're constantly living on the edge of unstable situations and always having money problems. She'll come back in a couple weeks like "oh fuck I need money" and ask for her job back. None of these young people realize how much money they're making delivering pizza, even they themselves think it's a low class job so they go make $15/hr part time with their degree or preferred field doing a much harder job then look at the bank after a few month and go "oh shit" and come back to delivery.

>tfw need job fast but no interviewing skills

This insect looks like a cuphead boss

fuck off retard

I'm the opposite of a hopper. I don't like change for potential worse than what I have now, I like stability and predictability. Changing jobs would change my car, insurance, work regime, people, etc.

I literally go by "if it ain't broke don't fix it". It's not like the competition would give me a much sweeter deal than I have now anyway.

Anyone I ever worked with would laugh and throw a resume into trash if it had 6 years of burger flipping on it.

why the fuck was this so funny to me, you could say I'm cupdead

>self-employed

way i see it .. in the uk doesn't matter about your competence level - the business is sociopathy .. organisational blockers. don't excel, ever .. you will be crushed out by management who know they will be cancelled out by your skills. why everything is so mediocre/failing here

what would you call them then?
there's a little man in them serving coffee?

>Start by never doing unpaid work, for one.

You don't know how salaried work, works, do you?

Anything past 8 hours is unpaid. And you can't just get behind on a project deadline because the work is technically unpaid.

>That should be SOP at most places. Why the hell would you want to leave a bunch of personal shit on a computer that's likely going to be used by someone else?

because technically your employer owns all the code you made for htem at work. Deleting it could be considered destruction of property.

I just wonder if anyone has actually be charged after the fact.

>It's everyones fault but mine
>Good attitude

Eh, what can you do? Maybe I stayed for 4 years because I thought it was my fault and kept trying harder and harder to get ahead, only to watch buddies get promoted?

But I bet if you knew that first you would say that I should have realized the truth sooner and left 2 years ago, so again it is my own fault?

It would be great if we didn't all have to suffer the accusations of emotionally stunted people. Someone is always going to react with blame at personal stories so they don't have to feel anything. Victim blaming is the reaction of emtionally weak people.

>That's why I don't plan on chasing a carrot on the stick (higher salary) and instead get comfortable with the stuff I do now. Being a wageslave is already bad enough I don't want to go down the spiral of being a wagecuck.

go find some old factory and join their union. Don't bother with stem. All stem ends up being wage slave. If you aren't working for the top companies, you'll be on a 5 man team that should be 10 and the bosses will act entitled to unpaid overtime to make up for it

>I've been a burger flipper for the past 6 years. Aside from being fucking pathetic it's still looks sort of good on a resume in the sense that it shows I'm reliable and I commit to things right? In fast food shitty people get filtered out fast so being around for 6 years should show I'm at least a hard worker who they wanted to keep around?
>If I'm applying to a technical engineering related job and have zero previous work experience with engineering I should include this non-relevant work experience right. Shows I at least had a job serves as a bit of an indicator of my work ethic?
>What if my GPA is pretty shit too?

If all you have is shit gpa and burger flipping, I would recommend using your school's co-op program to get at least 1 year of technical experience before you graduate. Also, maybe complete some of your own projects and build a small portfolio.

With that you should be able to get your foot in the door somewhere shitty, then change to something better after 2 years.

Is that mostly tips or what?

>>tfw need job fast but no interviewing skills

google some common questions. Then practice with a friend.

w-what friend?
and every job description entails that the interviewer asks very niche questions. How am i supposed to to know them all? It's also not like there is a hoard of just one type of job.

>w-what friend?
>and every job description entails that the interviewer asks very niche questions. How am i supposed to to know them all?

Have you ever interviewed for a job? A lot of them don't even ask technical questions. They ask dumb shit like "tell us about a time you had a challenge at work. How did you over come it?"

Why? Because most HR departments don't understand technical shit, so they don't ask technical questions.

>why would you start at the bottom and climb the ladder?
work your way up bitch. cant start at the engineer level