/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming and general purpose CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

GPUs:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; M.2 is a meme for desktops

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/G67WxY
tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html
libreboot.org/faq.html#intel
pcpartpicker.com/list/BQbvTH
youtube.com/watch?v=m2NIxEslE_E
pcpartpicker.com/list/cRzN3F
pcpartpicker.com/list/XvdmYr
guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review,26.html
techspot.com/review/1463-ryzen-3-gaming/page3.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>recommending a locked i5 that only works on $200 overclocking motherboards

>recommending a 12 "core" cpu when games currently only use half a core

>only use for a cpu is gaymen

Meanwhile, for those that do srs bsns.....

pcpartpicker.com/list/G67WxY

First ever build. W7Pro 64bit OEM.
Vidya (High/144+fps), Streaming and Video editing.

I've got a screen (old 1080p HDR) and looking to upgrade to 144hz 1080p(+?) Gsync later. Planning on SLIing with another 1070ti much later on also.

Would it be viable to get a duplicate EVO and hook them up with RAID0- would this provide a viable performance boost?

Otherwise, I'm unsure about the motherboard. Reading bad things about Gigabyte. Thinking about deliding, is it worth it?

patiently waiting for a sale on rx 580s so i can finally replace my 7870, should I jump on a 980ti if i can find it for 400 though?

that's used for the rendering of that dancing skeleton, you're supposed to switch to the prerendered version user

1080 ti still doesn't max out 1080p144 for some titles. Seems like the best GPU for those high frame rates.

If I only plan on having my OS and maybe a game or two on my SSD, 250gb should be fine right? Samsung 250gb is $120 right now and 500gb is $200. I'm not sure if I should pony up the extra for a 500gb. Money is in CAD btw

did you check your case for all those fan compatibilities
did you check your motherboard for all the fan plugins
3200 mhz LPX is the exact same price and has a minor performance increase over 3000. Ripjaws V 3200 is like 35$ less for 2x8 for 18h, so might wanna consider that if you're buying NOW

other than that p nice build

>Would it be viable to get a duplicate EVO and hook them up with RAID0- would this provide a viable performance boost?
read this I suppose
tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html
www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-950-pro-256gb-raid-report,4449.html
tl;dr no

>Thinking about deliding, is it worth it?
there's like a 20 degree difference. If you run it at stock, you made a mistake buying the k version, if you're going to OC, DELID THIS

>Otherwise, I'm unsure about the motherboard. Reading bad things about Gigabyte.
hard to see difference between shitposts, shills and the truth. Most likely you're equally likely to get unlucky with any of the options. Beyond that, just research for the specific things you want from your motherboard and how it matches up to others in that area.

125 might even be fine, especially if you use that thing where you use file links to store the bulk of the game (videos etc.) on HDD, which doesn't impact performance

don't get anything lower, I'm out of space on my 120. Wait to see if the 500GB drops in price and get that.

>I'm out of space on my 120.
and that's basically how you're supposed to use it
once you stop playing a game frequently, uninstall it or move it to HDD and throw new one on

>>G4560/G4600

>AMD CPUs

r8 my recyclables build

9/10
Wise mans build. Don't know if the image is skewed but it seems like the gpu is bent to much.

I'm happy with my 1600.

clean your fans you dumb shithead

nah the gpu looks like that lying flat

It is worth remembering most of Sup Forums is filled with poorfags who meme abotu ryzen precisely because they have been unable to afford an i7 or a HEDT chip for the last few years and with ryzen (and subsequently coffee lake) shifting performance tiers up (dramatically so) at a given price point the buyer's remose of having the lowly clocked i5's that are getting hammered in the latest and greatest is back with a vengeance.

People who could budget out for an i7 don't care because they get top tier performance and new builders are getting monster cpus for a fraction what they would've had to pay 12 months ago. 12 is the new 4 if you will.

that was actually after they were cleaned with compressed air

im not actually going to wipe each blade individually lmao are you insane

this is what it looked like before i cleaned it and drilled the 3.5 cage out for the new gpu recently

>im not actually going to wipe each blade individually lmao are you insane
why not you fucking degenerate it takes like 5 minute

you a sandnigger or some shit? thinking that's acceptable

How hard is it to build a PC for someone who doesn't into computers and just wants a decent PC to play LoL or something

Do you drive?

What's that gotta do with anything

I need cheap DDR3 RAM speed is irreverent
Is there anything I can pull it out of?
Where can I get it cheapest?

Computer components are modular among other reasons because they are made to be easily assembled by illiterate average iq Chinese workers.

im tellin u right now thats how it looks when its lying on its side, no screws or anything freshly inserted

i was irked by it too, but it dont matter

my temps are just fine as u can see

why should i bother lmao

I'll be running Linux and playing games like once a month.

Is RX 550/560 any good?

can u play legos

if yes

yes

If you do congratulations! You routinely perform a task more complicated than building a PC. If not I advise going buying a lego kit for practice. Actually if you are a burger I advise the lego kit anyway since automatic transmission is EZ modo.

building a pc is very easy (other than maybe putting on CPU heatsink
troubleshooting a pc ranges from very easy to incredibly hard
you have about a ~5-10% chance one or more of your parts will be DOA and then the troubleshooting starts

because it's filthy

>why would I take a shower?

I wonder why there's a driving exam for automatics, literally all the difficulty in driving is shifting gears and parking

yeah cause my pc where u cant even see it is comparable to my body that can actually cultivate bacteria and emit odours and such

ur really smart

I'm in the UK, does anyone know if there are any deals for two monitors + stand combined?

Looking to spend about £200

'Cuz women and burgers need to learn to parallel park and do hill starts without causing all kinds of destruction.

Do I unironically have to reinstall windows 7 with the gigabyte ISO-mod tool just to get usb 3.0 to work or is there another solution?

>hill starts
>on automatic
don't you just press gas?
It seemed to be extremely similar to flat starts with manuals but you have to start the process as soon as you take off break

you're talking like you already have windows 7 installed, in which case you should be able to simply just download the drivers for usb 3 and install them
the reason you stick them in the iso is so you can use them when you boot up the installation

One should take care of their computer(s) as one would take care of their car(s).
And if you don't take care of your car either you're an even worse degenerate.

Best monitor to watch anime?

hey Sup Forums is this a good build for a mini ITX HTPC ?

720p 144hz
because of the added refresh rate you'll have a higher chance of frames actually having a panty shot, because you'll see more frames.
720p because all the anime you torrent will be 720p anyway

i dont have a car

also this is what the top exhaust looked like before i cleaned it

HAHA ALL OF YOU I HAVE PENTIUM 4 2.5GHZ (533)BUS AND GEFORCE4 TI4200 (128MB) 1024MB OF PC2100 DDR MEMORY 2 STICKS AND ASUS MOTHERBOARD WITH 600WATT POWER SUPPLY 2 100GB WESTERND DIGITAL 8 MB CACHE AND IT IS THE ULTIMATE MACHINE AND I SAW THAT THE 64MB VERSION OF MY CARD (the gay version) WAS 2 FPS HIGHER SO I SAID HELLLLLL NO AND I WHENT AND BUT WATER COOLING SYSTEM AND I OVERCLOCKED TO OUTPERFORM 64MB NOW WHO HAS BETTER DEAL AND ALL MY GAMES RUN IN 4XAA 32BIT 3TRIPLE BUFFER 1024x768 AND I GET THE BEST FPS LOL I KICK ASS AND DONT BE JEALOUS, I AM JEALOUS OF YOU, YOU PROBABLY HAVE ALOT MORE MONEY IN YOU POCKET THEN ME. LOL!!!!

also do u know that moth is still entombed in my case cause it fell in that hole there

If you're not using a dedicated GPU a smaller case might look nicer (like those streacom things or a Silverstone ML05). I'd recommend choosing a mobo that has built in wifi or at least is prepared for m.2 wifi.
Also that SSD is pretty small, a 250gb unit would be better and not much more expensive.
Other than that it looks fine

hello
what's the latest intel CPU that doesn't contain ME.?

Yeah, surprise, I'm stupid.
Got it working, cheers.

just buy Ryzen

This, all the Ryzen hate is salty i5 cucks who bought an i5 in the last two years and got cucked hard.
Meanwhile I upgraded my shitty 2012 i5 to a Ryzen 7 and I'm happy as fuck.

Thank you based AMD!

Reposting to see if I get any takers.

I'm trying to see what clocks/voltages I can get out of my Vega 64 in stable forms, been messing around with overclock/underclock/undervolt for a few days and still can't settle on something stable, though I think it was bad drivers. I've changed to 17.30 which seems to be working fine (zero artifacts or crashes as of now).
Any other anons with Vega cards would be interested in participating in a Google Drive doc (or whatever non botnet alternative Sup Forums would rather use, I could input the data into an excel by hand myself and upload it periodically and add it to the OP if needed even).
I want to see what people's systems are running like, as I see lots of varying reports on the internet that I don't know if I should trust. I hear lots of people say a 100mV undervolt won't induce instability, perhaps I've been unlucky or perhaps they simply haven't pushed the card to its very limits like I've been doing and haven't run into problems.

Data I would need:

>Vega model (56, 64, 64 LC)
>Aftermarket cooler Y/N (if Y, wich)
>Drivers in use
>Software used to edit settings (Wattman, OverdiveNTool, MSI Afterburner...)
>P6 Frequency in Mhz
>P6 Voltage in mV
>P7 Frequency in Mhz
>P7 Voltage in mV
>HBM2 P3 Frequency in Mhz
>HBM2 P3 Voltage in mV
>Power limit
>Temps (Avg, max allowed & target if possible)
>Comments, fps results, etc

why is it always the frogposters

your pc literally looks like it's about to light on fire

Is it not obvious?

It's about to catch fire because Vega is a housefire!

Jokes aside, the temps are fine. The Ryzen never goes above 65ºC when gaming, tops out at 75ºC when rendering videos. Idles at about 50ºC however.
The Vega idles much lower, but gets pretty hot while gaming, topping out at 85ºC where I have the temp limit set so the fan kicks into overdrive to keep it cool. It can get pretty loud.

ryzen has psp you retard

Pretty sure the guys at the cyber security general know that.
AMD didn't have backdoors until Ryzen I think, Intel has had ME for a while.

I'm not looking to buy anything, you idiot.
i wish people would just answer as much as the fucking question

my point exactly you muppet

I'm not helping you write a 500 word essay for school, just google it like any normal person would.

nearly 10 year old core2duo/quads most likely
libreboot.org/faq.html#intel

some pre-ryzen cpus had the psp but information is sparring

can anyone reccomend a good case? i need full atx but i dont need hard drive room or 5.25 bays. i like good design that lets me see my hardware. im thinking the s340 elite is a pretty good looking case but ive never heard of nzxt before.

I just bought a second GTX 670 for $35 aud to SLI.
And omg it works so well.
Everyone says sli is bad
but im getting double the performance in some games and benchmarks.

and no performance boost in other games

die, frogposter

>Never heard of NZXT before
Living under a rock?
NZXT is fine, they make good cases, they're not some random no name brand. In my opinion they make better cases than Antec and Cooler Master.

explain me this shit please, i want to build a PC soon ish and i was looking at graphic cards
why does some graphic card looks like the one in that pic, while some graphic card has big ass fans slapped on it?
is pic related better to the pic related of the post i'm replying to?

What's in your picture is an AIB card, basically a partner manufacturer cooler design. It is better than reference blower designs by a wide margin, as AIB cards are much quieter and also run cooler.

Do not buy a blower card unless you wanna deal with the heat and noise or if you intend to get rid of the stock cooler and install a custom water block (as reference cards are a bit cheaper than AIB cards).

thanks for the clarification

pcpartpicker.com/list/BQbvTH
Okay, I'm back again to bug you people with more questions.

With this build, what would matter more, upgrading to a better GPU, or a CPU?

youtube.com/watch?v=m2NIxEslE_E
I've been watching this video, and it seems like the 1050ti can preform pretty well, but the machine being tested has an i7 and 16 gb of ram. The most intensive thing I'd like to do is play witcher 3 at highish settings at 45-60 fps.

In order to achieve this, is a better GPU or CPU needed?

question:

if i buy a monitor, let's say it's 100hz
if my target fps is 60 i can leave the vsync off and i will experience no tearing
is this right?

pcpartpicker.com/list/cRzN3F

Rate my linux productivity + light gaming build.

Also recommend me a good ergonomic keyboard and mouse that isn't gamer shit.

500gb 850 EVO is on sale for $200 CAD (about $150 USD) right now. I've really been wanting to get a ssd...is it a decent price? Will there be better deals on black friday?

You a taker in the last thread or the one before

>who bought an i5 in the last two years and got cucked hard
No one who bought an i5 two years ago is salty, retard.

Could get a blu ray player
Might want a 240GB SSD

Looks good, but I'd retire and replace the HDDs

Personally I'd say 250 is a minimum

This is advanced autism

980Ti for 400 is overpriced. 350USD at absolute max, should be less. 1070 (which is is better than the 980Ti) has an MSRP of 380USD

SLI sucks
Consider an R7

>sparring
You're looking for "sparse" or "scarce"

Correct.
And if your monitor has Freesync/Gsync and you have a compatible card you can turn that on and it will make the game feel much smoother even though it's less than 100hz.
You will only experience tearing when your framerate is higher than your monitor's refresh rate IE you're playing at 75fps with a 60hz monitor.

I have an optiplex 380 so it can't fit dual slot gpus
Should I get a 750 ti gt 1030 or rx 550
Or [spoiler] Cut the case/bracket with a knife [/spoiler]

whats the point of this gpu?| like not the 1050ti but specifically this model?its the same price as strix is and isnt even single slot

lel

I didn't get any replies 2 threads ago, didn't post this last thread.

I think I've seen like 5 different people post their Vega cards in here, and few more in Sup Forums in general. I don't trust reddit or other forums much and I'd like to see what people's experience with the card is.
After a few days of messing around with voltages, clocks and fan speeds I've found some really nice configs for extreme performance and quiet operation.

No you fucking idiot he will get a shitton of tearing with what he was describing.

How come a lot of stuff on Pcpartpicker just doesn't have prices
Trying to find a motherboard that works and nothing has price so what the fuck

No you don't get tearing at lower fps than your refresh rate.

>Mini ITX Tower Case
>cooler and choices for overclocking

Your image is adequate.

>Just to be clear, it doesn't matter if the GPU is rendering faster or slower than the monitors refreshrate. If you're getting an fps that isn't a multiple or a 1/x fraction of the monitors refresh rate there will be tearing. Even if you lock you're fps to 60, 120, 30, etc. you'll still get tearing if you don't have something like v-sync to take care of the timing.
Oh sry my bad.

>g4560
we've been over this user

swap the ram mobo and cpu
single thread you won't see a big difference, but quad and multi you'll see huge differences. More and more games are utilizing 4 cores now, and some even beyond that.

pcpartpicker.com/list/XvdmYr

your currently suggested system will do fine in some games and okay'ish in others, but in a year's time you'll be dead stuck with a shit system and no upgradability
you'll be forced to buy a new cpu, a new gpu, new ram and a new motherboard. So you'll most likely not end up upgrading at all

Whereas with the 1200 you'll run all games fine to good right now. When you don't get the performance you're looking for, you could sell your 1050ti (will prob be able to sell it second hand and only lose like 30$), throw in a 1060 6gb/rx 580 and be fine again

it's built for non stop action

mouse imo there's only two real options, the deathadder 2013 and the mx master
I prefer the ergonomics of the mxmaster slightly, but I can't deal with the thumb buttons, so I go with the deathadder.
for keyboard depends on your definition of ergonomics

Already posted that before, but not sure if you saw that. Vega 56 reference cooler. Same drivers as yours everything else I either get bluescreen or random crash during installation. Temps average 70 during 100% load.

Is $30 the lowest a decent case goes for, or will there be any ones cheaper black friday?

You can get a single lot 1050 or 1050Ti, but not sure if its worth it on your CPU

>lock you're fps

Not in stock

Pretty sure you did.. you should go back and check. Some guy was like, "sorry I'm so late"

Decent price, not amazing.

>if my target fps is 60
If the game runs naturally at less than the refresh rate of your monitor, you won't have any tearing.

I don't have any experience with frame rate limiters

>im getting double the performance in some games and benchmarks.
>double the performance in some games
>some

I feel like you guys overestimate black friday
Last few black fridays I saw nothing even remotely decent, especially not pc component wise

If $20 can be saved here or there on a few parts, then its a win for me.

I have to buy a cooler because the stock one doesn't fit in the case. What do you mean by choices for over clocking?

Thanks

can't decide between 8400 or 8600k willing to wait for cheaper mobtherboards only intention is linux with win7 virtual machine to which I'll passthrough my old gpu for any games that don't work with linux or WINE
would I really need the unlocked variant for this kind usage?

Here are fairly recent graphics card benchmarks on TW3
guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review,26.html
You have to remember that those benchmarks are basically on Ultra, with Hairworks off. You'll probably want Hairworks on low or medium when you play but you can reduce other settings.

Your best bet for a locked 60FPS would be a 1060

Here are CPU benchmarks
techspot.com/review/1463-ryzen-3-gaming/page3.html
As you can see, with a low tier graphics card like the 1050Ti, there's no difference between the G4560 and R31200. With a 1060 you won't see any difference, and even with a 1080 the difference is minimal.

Conclusion: A graphics card upgrade would benefit you the most.

>pc making a lot of noise (I assume cpu or gpu fan)
>wiggle it a bit
>notice if I push down on the left side the noise stops
>wiggle it some more
>turns high pitched
>wiggle it some more
>turns normal again
>WIGGLE IT SOME MORE
>goes completely quiet
>afraid to touch it
what the fuck is this magic

The cpu and gpu of course.

>it seems like the 1050ti can preform pretty well, but the machine being tested has an i7 and 16 gb of ram
That's just to show you the unrestricted power (or lack thereof) of the 1050Ti. Pretty hard to bottleneck a relatively weak graphics card like 1050Ti. Any 4 thread CPU on LGA1151 or any R3 or above on AM4 would not cause a bottleneck.

we've been over this user

that's a whole lotta bullshit for no facts

What would you recommend? I need to stay all AMD because of their open source drivers.

>speed is irreverent
you fool

Stock cooler a bigger case and at least an micro atx motherboard.
You never know if you will want to replace the gpu with something bigger.