ITT: Obsolete technolo/g/y

Is there any practical use for BASIC in 2017 (other than for hobbyist and retro computing)?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.pi3g.com/2013/08/using-the-raspberry-pi-as-cups-print-server-for-windows-and-apple-mac-airprint/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No. The only useful programming languages in current year are C++, HTML5, Flash, and Java.

>HTML 5 PROGRAMMING LENGUAJE!!!!!!!
Why pajeet why u make me go mad at the mornings

Nah, it is really lacking in features and if you want to quickly write or calculate something just use an interactive prompt from a language like ruby, python or julia, f.e.

Even bash (or any oonix shell) would be infinitely more useful than Basic in the real world

It is good for 16 colour graphics. I doubt there's anything easier to use unless you consider darkbasic which is a variant anyway.

BASIC was a mistake

>this is my first basic program
what a lying cunt.
It was at least the second.

>flash in 2017

someone that doesn't know the c64 basic. Try LIST.

Basic used to be a great first step into programming. Everyone could make at least something and it was there literally out of the box. Nothing like that exists now.

Intel uses HOL light to verify floating point instructions for their CPUs which only shows that memelangs have a place

maybe they need to invent the ACIDIC language

>Flash
It's deprecated in 2020. Do you live under a rock?

You realize flash is done in 2018

>TFW Flash will be gone in web browsers other than Pale Moon.
>TFW this turned 9 years old today.

even zone-tan age is just barely on the clock right now, johnny rocketfingers and first madness combat animation are probably reaching legal age as we speak

are you employed user? your opinions are shit

I own a Texas Instruments TI-84 CE and I write programs for that in basic but that's all I can think of.

Yes. Learning and having fun.

BASIC is still very important for teaching neophytes terrible programming habits and concepts that they'll never be able to completely unlearn.

I have: this motherfucking MATRIX PRINTER on pic related, more precisely, EPSON FX-2190. It was installed on a WINDOWS XP machine until this year, when I replaced the machine by a WINDOWS 7 one. Then, the problems started, due to WINDOWS fault. EPSON don't have a clue about how to solve, and I have clues, but can't solve, nevertheless. Any help is appreciated.

My problem is: WINDOWS 7 does not list the MATRIX PRINTER device fonts (fonts installed on the printer itself), as WINDOWS XP did, on the Choose Font dialog box. So, I can't use the device font on the program I need, and then I need to load WINDOWS XP inside WINDOWS 7 using WINDOWS XP MODE, which makes my machine laggy due to having 2 Operating Systems loaded on 1 physical machine.

I need to: get rid of WINDOWS XP MODE and WINDOWS XP too. I need to make, somehow, WINDOWS 7 list the device font I need, since the EPSON driver includes it. I confirmed that the driver includes the fonts, by checking on Word 2007, due to this program not using the Choose Font dialog box.

Again, any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Theres batch for winfags

install gentoo

The programs needed doesn't run on GENTOO.

Firstly you NEED to FIX your CAPS LOCK key.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
-- Dijkstra

It does you just haven't tried hard enough.

GENTOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

There's a whole generation of programmers who all did something in Basic.
>Arrogance in computer science should be measured in nanodijkstras
-- Alan Kay

luckily Flash can export mov
so it wont effect pure animation flash file

>what is python

Python isn't even close in terms of simplicity
You can learn TI-BASIC in like 5 minutes

People usually do the looping thing first

Quite frankly, no. Even back then basic has no real useful application beyond being an os for "gaymen" machine back in the day.

More serious business owners used pc dos, large banks used pc dos (for computers) and cobol (for mainframes) while the engineering field mainly used fortran

not really. it's fun to use c64 though

>revived my c64 recently, decided to write simple snake game

>things that happen in code:
>couple of meaningless performance-wise calculations
>array that contains positions of snake (suprisingly code that used peeks/pokes directly on memory was slower than code that used BASIC arrays)
>this array moves every snake element on every move, so that might be a tad heavy
>two peeks to remove old snake piece/add new one
>from time to time, random generation of apple

>i don't even need to write any pauses or anything, it's slow enough as it is
>moving array elements and changing two characters on the screen is hard enough to make game run at about 5fps

i think basic might be just very, very slow

We need to convince Adobe to release all specifications for Flash, maybe even some source code. Then someone could create a Flash > HTML5 converter.

If it's old but could do as good (if not better) that its newer counterpart, can it still be called as "obsolete"?

>missing the point THIS hard
You do realize you can launch C, ASM and other code from BASIC just as you do from DOS? Exactly the same way.

BASIC is a programming language included in a computer's ROM at the time, not the OS, the OS is always the kernel BASIC is running on.
DOS is a vague OS handling I/O and launching other applications, it can do limited scripting, it's not a programming language.

Quite frankly, BASIC gave you better control of your hardware, specially because if was usually optimized for the hardware, even CP/M did. DOS somehow managed to be so dumbed down, it wasn't even funny. Great for copying your spreadsheets onto floppy and working on that Lotus 123 page in the office though.

C64 BASIC sucks big time.
It IS slow. Commodore cheaped out on properly optimizing it and just used the PET MS BASIC for it.

For a normal person who simply wants to automate some task it's still the best.

In the old days when every home computer ran BASIC ordinary people did a LOT of programming to support their hobbies, business, and so on. This is not true any more and it's because of the higher barrier to entry that newer and more efficient languages present, the fact that they're not as accessible, and the lack of universality.

BASIC and Smalltalk were designed to be so easy that a kid could learn them in a couple days, there's nothing newer which is like this or has the utility. If Apple had gone full Smalltalk with the Macintosh we'd be in a whole different universe by now.

Say it with me Sup Forums, USER DEVELOPER.

>Flash
You mean JavaScript?

>Nothing like that exists now
Ever wondered why is python so popular nowadays?
>Python isn't even close in terms of simplicity
It is. In Python you can learn very fast a small subset of language that lets you do some interesting stuff thanks to handy data structures which are a pain in the ass for a beginner in other languages.
The first day I learned python I was able to write a web scrapping tool for my specific use, just with some rudimentary instructions (I programmed in other languages before though).

It has linux support so maybe connect it to a raspberry pi and console in to it when you want to print.

blog.pi3g.com/2013/08/using-the-raspberry-pi-as-cups-print-server-for-windows-and-apple-mac-airprint/

I had to learn Smalltalk for a course once, I fucking hated it and found it unreadable.

t. brainlet pajeet

>HTML5
nice bait

Is this thread about obsolete software only or any obsolete tech in general?

i work in the industry and they use visual basic to design the control and command visual interfaces.

pic related, a synoptic command and control interface

vb is not basic
i use actual basic for firmware programming, it wasn't my choice, just supporting legacy hardware